ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 12th, 2011, 07:33 AM   #1
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Lane Splitting / Parking

Got 2 questions I'd like to ask the general community on their practices regarding Lane Splitting and Parking the bike (parking lots).
After seeing several local riders in my area doing these, I'm wondering if I should too:

First Lane splitting;
Do you do it?
If so is there only certain times or more all of the time?
I'm not sure on legalities of this move, I assumed it was illegal always... but then again I thought it was illegal always to turn on a red left, even if you sat there 3-4 cycles already (turns out it is not illegal).
For me I never done this, yet!

Secondly Parking;
Do you use the normal cager spot in the lots, or do you pull up on the sidewalk area near front doors?
I started doing this yesterday, when I noticed a cager almost rear end my bike trying to take it's parking spot

Hopefully people will answer truthfully w/o needing a poll.
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Lane Splitting/Sharing - Do You Do It?

But sure, just about any ride where crowded or slow freeways are involved, and to the front of stopped traffic lights. It's not illegal here in CA; AFAIK it remains illegal in the other 49 states.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i'm in cali as well so i lane split in traffic, and at lights where i know it's not right about to turn green.
i never park on the sidewalk, me and a friend of mine had bad experiences with that with scooters before i got into motorcycles but the yellow crosshatch marks at the front of parking lots are fair game (not blue... you'll get towed in blue, those are for handicapped)

Old July 12th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #4
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Thanks alex.. I fubared and didn't search right, didn't find that recent thread.

Guess this one can focus more on the parking part
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:11 AM   #5
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I see people parking on sidewalks, but just keep in mind that you can get a ticket for it. I don't like it because if there's a person in a wheelchair, you can make it very inconvenient for them to navigate around the bike.

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #6
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I lane split in traffic and sometimes when there's a redlight. Like Alex and everyone else, I'm in CA so don't know if it's ok in TN.

I park in motorcycle parking when available or just in the far back of the lot. I like walking from the far back of the lot more than receiving dents in my car/bike.

Last futzed with by Azhyen; July 12th, 2011 at 12:09 PM.
Azhyen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 08:27 AM   #7
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Legal or not, I lane split whenever traffic slows to a crawl.. even done so passing LEOs, never seem to have a problem with me traveling at 15 mph when traffic is at standstill or 5 mph.
Rarely do I lane split at speed above 30 mph.

I always park in plain sight, at the very entrance of a parking space, closest to moving traffic, that way the biek will not obstructed view from large vehicles parked in spots next to me.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 09:16 AM   #8
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

I park wherever is convenient.
If a cage spot is open close to the door I park as far out of the space as possible so cars see the bike before pulling in.
Otherwise I park in the bike rack, or if ones not avail then on the sidewalk in a place it wont obstruct anyone.
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM   #9
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

I dont lane split and I park were i want.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #10
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhyen View Post
I lane split in traffic and sometimes when there's a redlight. Like Alex and everyone else, I'm in CA so don't know if it's ok in TN.
Nothing is ok in TN. Strictest traffic laws ever!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #11
Fridaynight
ninjette.org member

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R

I don't lane split, but I do basically park where I want.

At work, I pull up right near the bicycle rack because it doesn't obstruct the sidewalk and there is a security camera aimed right at that spot.

Otherwise I'll usually park near the back of the parking lot, at the very beginning of the parking space so it stays visible. I'll park closer if I'm feeling lucky though
Fridaynight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #12
Fly'in Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): C-250R-ST

I do lane split if traffic is less than 25mph.

I'll look for "motorcycle parking"
Or I'll usually find a triangle spot where a car can't park/fit in the parking lot
Fly'in Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #13
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
First Lane splitting;
Its not legal here in FL, but I would probably do it if traffic was jammed. Its not especially safe in any state. I have heard guys tell me that they had jealous cagers open up their car doors just to cause trouble - so beware. OTOH, I have used the bicycle path on the right of the lane a few times to pass slow moving vehicles. As long as its clear, I don't see a problem with it.

The way I see it, if you pass tightly on the right and a cager wanders into you, you could get sent off the road into the grass. If you pass tightly on the left and a cager wanders into you, you could get sent into opposing traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
Secondly Parking;
Do you use the normal cager spot in the lots, or do you pull up on the sidewalk area near front doors?

I started doing this yesterday, when I noticed a cager almost rear end my bike trying to take it's parking spot
When I park my bike, I look for places that are the least likely to suffer damage to the bike. I try to use the sidewalk next to the front door whenever possible. I try to do so in a non-obtrusive manner so that I don't piss anyone off. A pissed off patron with a shopping cart can do a lot of damage to a bike.

If it isn't feasible to park next to the building, I look for other spots that are inaccessible to cars. Usually, there is a white hatch area near handicap spots. You can't park in the handicapped spot, but you can park on the white hatch as long as you are not obstructing the handicapped spot.

I've seen some guys parking in the bicycle rack area. Very rarely, I'll see a "Motorcycle Only" spot. When all else fails, I'll try to find a spot way out in left field where its less likely to be run over.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #14
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Its not legal here in FL, but I would probably do it if traffic was jammed. Its not especially safe in any state. I have heard guys tell me that they had jealous cagers open up their car doors just to cause trouble - so beware. OTOH, I have used the bicycle path on the right of the lane a few times to pass slow moving vehicles. As long as its clear, I don't see a problem with it.

The way I see it, if you pass tightly on the right and a cager wanders into you, you could get sent off the road into the grass. If you pass tightly on the left and a cager wanders into you, you could get sent into opposing traffic.
i think it's called lane splitting because you do it when there's two lanes to split... it seems like a bad idea to try to pull a crazy-russian and split the center divide. and passing on the right... well there are rules against everyone passing on the right for very good reasons.
as to the car door... i easily could be wrong but i think i remember my car driving instructor telling us that if we didn't look before opening our car door when parking and someone hits the door, it's our fault since we should have looked and not opened the door into them... i can only imagine the same is true if you're in traffic. doesn't mean you won't pay the price of injury or worse but at least you can force them to buy you some new skin and a new bike

p.s. even if it was legal in florida, i would be scared of all the no-headed drivers...

Last futzed with by alex.s; July 13th, 2011 at 05:50 PM. Reason: apparently i don't know right from left
alex.s is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 06:12 PM   #15
n4mwd

I don't know about other states, but here they have actual bicycle lanes. They are about 3 feet wide and run to the right of the normal lanes. Its rare to see an actual bicycle in them. Those guys all use the sidewalk.

Passing on the right outside of a lane is usually a no-no (except when passing stopped traffic), but I am not sure what the legalities of using a bike lane are. Technically a motorcycle is a type of bicycle, but I'm not sure if the po po sees it that way. I generally avoid doing questionable things in front of them anyway.

Old July 14th, 2011, 08:30 AM   #16
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

If you are not in CA, I would not recommend you do it, as most other states have a law on the books specifically prohibiting the practice.

If you are in CA but are a new rider, I would not recommend you do it, as you need to learn how to ride properly first. That's hard enough to do when you don't have the cars close at hand on each side of you.

This is one of hte hottest debates ever (aside fomr oil, octane and break in) and I think it's stupid that it's not allowed in all states. It's allowe din nearly every country outside the US, and people are simply not dying left and right like the doom sayers keep predicting will happen if it were allowed everywhere.

For parking, I've found that you usually won't get hassled parking on a sidewalk at the front of a business as long as you are not blocking the walkway. Keep in mind it's not legal, so you could absolutely be cited or have your bike towed, but most people let it go. If you have to park in a full space, park tail in / head out, and park at the outermost portion of the space closest to the traffic lane, so a car won't coming tearing in thinking it's an empty space and knock over your bike because it was tucked waaaay back in the space.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 09:14 AM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
If you are not in CA, I would not recommend you do it, as most other states have a law on the books specifically prohibiting the practice.

If you are in CA but are a new rider, I would not recommend you do it, as you need to learn how to ride properly first. That's hard enough to do when you don't have the cars close at hand on each side of you.

This is one of hte hottest debates ever (aside fomr oil, octane and break in) and I think it's stupid that it's not allowed in all states. It's allowe din nearly every country outside the US, and people are simply not dying left and right like the doom sayers keep predicting will happen if it were allowed everywhere.

For parking, I've found that you usually won't get hassled parking on a sidewalk at the front of a business as long as you are not blocking the walkway. Keep in mind it's not legal, so you could absolutely be cited or have your bike towed, but most people let it go. If you have to park in a full space, park tail in / head out, and park at the outermost portion of the space closest to the traffic lane, so a car won't coming tearing in thinking it's an empty space and knock over your bike because it was tucked waaaay back in the space.
Still, why facing out? Rear reflectors work better than turned-off headlights and I'd much rather someone flex my plastic rear fender than tweak my forks!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #18
placetobe
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 89 EX250

I similarly split only when traffic is moving under about 20 mph. When i do split though, I make tons of noise (horn/engine revving). Even though I am incredibly obnoxious, id rather someone know i am there cus they hear me rather than because im imbedded in their side panel.

as for parking, im still tryin to figure that out. there are always a bunch of spots on the street that are tempting, but i am afraid are in danger of being mauled by a car.
placetobe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #19
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Still, why facing out? Rear reflectors work better than turned-off headlights and I'd much rather someone flex my plastic rear fender than tweak my forks!
Officially, you are supposed to park facing out so that when you leave, you aren't paddling out backwards into the path of cars. But then again, I totally see your point.