ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:39 PM   #1
Gulf1
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Alertpay who?

So dig it. I respond to a post here to sell my exhaust. They dig it and I figure "that was easy". They say "I cannot use Paypal". I suggest a money order. They"re not comfortable with that- ok, same as cash, I get it, but I figure if it's sent certified. There are only so many options. They suggest Alertpay, "a great alternative to Paypal". Now I've never even heard of it so I go straight to google. Man, the first FOUR headers have the word "scam" in them! Their own site address was 5th! I read a few it's less than confidence inspiring. At their site the criteria is essentially identical to paypal as far as requirements and necessary information. So now I'm also suspicious as to why this person is unable to use one and not the other. Sounds more like not ALLOWED to use Paypal. In any case, I repond "ye, that's not happening", then suggesting a personal or bank check sent certified. It's been two days and no reply even with me asking if they're still interested.
I'm fine with trusting my gut, I'm in no hurry anyway. I swear by Paypal. The only problem I've ever had with them is how intensive they were about proving my identity once! They've recovered money for me twice. So I ask- has anyone used this Aletpay anyway?

Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

The only transaction I've ever made online that wasn't by paypal or credit was here on ninjette. I sent a box COD from the post office... which ended up working out fine but was a huge pain in the ass at the post office because nobody who works there had ever done it before.

It worked ok and a week later I got the check in the mail from the post office, but I would never do it again. It's silly for people NOT to be using paypal these days.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:53 PM   #3
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

I wouldn't trust anyone who doesn't have paypal, and also the fact that you searcher "alertpay" and the only things that came up were scam would instantly make me ignore anything he said.
kingkang204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:14 PM   #4
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkang204 View Post
I wouldn't trust anyone who doesn't have paypal, and also the fact that you searcher "alertpay" and the only things that came up were scam would instantly make me ignore anything he said.
I don't have that attitude. There are plenty of trustworthy people who just don't use it. It just makes things infinitely faster and more convenient.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:18 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Who is the buyer?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:26 PM   #6
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Don't do it. If there are too many things that need to be explained, there is a reason for that. The chances of it being legit, vs. scam, are not in your favor.

EDIT: Wait... you said HERE? To my knowledge [crossthrough]we haven't had problems here[/crossthrough], other than some import stuff, but I am unaware of user to user problems. Run it by Alex, he probably knows who is who better than anyone else (looks like he is already on it).
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:33 PM   #7
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
I don't have that attitude. There are plenty of trustworthy people who just don't use it. It just makes things infinitely faster and more convenient.
mmmm I would be careful, I am not a pessimist its because I have gotten scammed on this forum and have gotten nothing back and I don't want that for anyone. I agree that there are TONS of good people on this forum that are willing to give advice even though its not their problem.

That being said why would you use an 'alternative' to Paypal where Paypal is established and well known and has the resources to resolve problems?

Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:46 PM   #8
Gulf1
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

I don't doubt the overfall honesty of the pepole on this forum. My apprehension is the sum of all things. But, also I frankly didn't see the point to going through the rigor of registering with a sight that I'd probably necer use again. I intended not to name the person. There could very well be legitamate factors.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:50 PM   #9
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf1 View Post
I don't doubt the overfall honesty of the pepole on this forum. My apprehension is the sum of all things. But, also I frankly didn't see the point to going through the rigor of registering with a sight that I'd probably necer use again. I intended not to name the person. There could very well be legitamate factors.
One simple solution is having the buyer sign up for paypal. Since it is more widely used it would be beneficial for him and you would be able to sell your item safely which is beneficial for you. Win, Win.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:55 PM   #10
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulf1 View Post
Yes, that is sort of what I was saying about the sum of all things.

You may still want to PM Alex the name. That way you don't unecessarily defame anyone, but having Alex aware of exactly who it is might help protect others here if there starts to be any funny-business.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2011, 08:54 PM   #11
AeroXtasy
New 2-Wheel Addict

Name: Reece

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2009 250r Kawasaki Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Who is the buyer?
Me! Haha. I don't mind being named.

I've stated in numerous threads I cannot use Paypal when I purchase things. They banned me and gave no reason why.

Oh, and check this out:
http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Sorry, but I've decided to just save up for an Area P.
Good luck with selling!

Also, I assure you AP is legitimate. It's one of the many other Payment processors I use. Others include Liberty Reserve (my favorite) and Moneybookers.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

PayPal is a joke as far as I'm concerned.

I used to sell stuff all the time on eBay until a dishonest purchaser claimed I never sent some Magic game cards he purchased.

Instead of PayPal doing any sort of investigation, they basically assumed I was trying to rip this guy off. They demanded I pay them the money he sent me to them, since they without any review, already refunded the buyer.

Then after I refused to pay they sent me to collections. Yeah, that one was funny.

Whatever, eBay cost themselves business. I no longer use the service for anything and only deal locally through craigslist.