ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old September 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #1
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2011 150cc chinaman scooter

HID Kit install

So there are many ways to do this...this is just the way I decided to go about it!

1. First you're gonna need to run a fused lead from your battery's 12V terminal. Do not put a fuse in there UNTIL you are finished connecting everything else! I used a much heavier guage than what is needed (this is what I had lying around my garage) but you should use a guage the same size or bigger than what is on the 12v+ terminal going into your ballast.

You're going to run this wire to the front of the bike (I went under the gas tank) into your 12V relay!

2. Here's a picture of what your relay should look like up front and where you should connect each lead.

RED
Now you know where that big red one is coming from because you just ran it from the battery to the front of your bike!

GREEN
The green as you can see is actually connected to the Negative (-) terminal of the HID ballast as well as the Negative(-) Accessory terminal located in the front of the bike.

WHITE
Well, it's more black than white because of the electric tape I have over the wire (ran out of shielded quick connects) but this is connected to the 12V(+) lead to the ballast.

PINK
This is what is going to turn your lights on and off! Whenever this lead gets power your lights will turn on. So it is up to you to choose which one you want! I chose to have it linked to my lowbeam and thus when the highbeam is selected the light will go out. Some of you may say "I want to keep my highbeam" but if you saw how bright this light is, you would understand that you would never need a highbeam! Here a pic...I just took a male quick connect and cut the plastic off the end so I could plug it right in the existing headlight connector

When you have all that connected...this is what the front of your bike should look like

TEST IT OUT!
At this point you're pretty much done! It's a matter of getting the headlight back in, mounting your ballast and organizing all the wiring! Put a 20A fuse (I used a 30 but 20 will be fine) in your fuse holder, start your bike (plug in the bulb of coarse) and it should light up (given your headlight switch is on Lowbeam)

These kits require a lot of voltage to ignite so if you have a low/dying battery it may not fire up when you start your bike (with the low beam on) because your starter is using everything the battery's got left to start the bike....if this is the case, just switch your highbeam on, start the bike....let it run for a couple seconds and then hit your lowbeam! This will ensure that the ballast will get enough voltage to ignite the bulb!

I mounted the ballast right under the headlight with some 3m plastic velcro stuff. This stuff is STRONG! but you can still get it off and on as much as you would like when you need to, so it was the perfect application! Mounting the ballast under the headlight instead of the fairing will allow you to take off your fairing without having to worry about disconnecting the ballast first and what not...

Heres a side view of what it should look like after you sorted all the wiring...(yours will differer depending on where you put all your wiring)

Now with all aftermarket HID kits, you're gonna have some light leaking where it's not supposed to be. I used this stuff:

it's called "Black-out Tape" and I believe I got it at pep boys. It's much wider than electric tape, so 1 single long piece can be used! I had it laying around the garage and it worked out perfectly! It's used as an automotive trim cover so it was a great application. Goes on smooth and will last a long time. You want to put this on BEFORE you put the fairing back on...or else you won't be able to get at the very top of the light leaving a small line of light above the tape when the headlight is on.

It actually reduces the size of the headlight as well and looks pretty "clean", unlike the use of multiple pieces of electric tape. It actually gave me another idea that I'm working on....(coming soon)

a brief video overview

Link to original page on YouTube.

Last futzed with by Socal5646; September 13th, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
Socal5646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nice write-up.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 05:40 AM   #3
NikkitaNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 *Nikkita* - 2003 Buell XB9R

Looks like a solid write up, good job
Posted via Mobile Device
NikkitaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 07:37 AM   #4
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Sorry, will finish it soon! Just got to get the rest of the pics sorted...

Old September 12th, 2011, 01:49 PM   #5
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Which HID kit did you get?
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2011, 02:28 PM   #6
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

I had a set I pulled off one of my cars laying around. Any $50 Fleabay set will do! Just remember to get H4 bulbs!

Old September 13th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

updated!