ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 16th, 2011, 07:12 PM   #1
1LoneWolf
ninjette.org member

Name: R.

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Exclamation My list of worries

So, for these past few days, I've noticed the power has dropped at high RPM's. I used to feel a surge of power at around 8-9k but now it's just a smooth pull as opposed to a sorta weak low to midrange and a sudden increase in power. Maybe it's the Pipercross filter I put in. Or maybe it's the fact that I'm a moron and tinkered with the carbs when I shouldn't have. Or the million other possible causes.

Could any of these have caused this?

1. While putting the carbs back together I pinched one diaphragm and tore another at the edge. This is what I think is the cause but the damage was really enough in my opinion. Just a small tear off the edge of the diaphragm and the other one flattened out a little (also on the edge.) That's about a $300 fix right there. It was fine for a couple days after I "fixed" them and re-seated them, but now the bike feels a little weaker. Big screw-up #1

2. While syncing the carbs, I accidentally pushed the screw in too much and it revved the engine, pulling some of the color-dyed water into the carb. It sucked in very little but still sucked in some water. Hoping I didn't damage the engine or the carbs. Big screw-up #2

3. I dropped a siphon tube into the gas tank while trying to siphon some gas out. Now I'm worried it's blocking fuel flow in the tank. Maybe it really isn't, who knows. I need to find a way to get it out. Big screw-up #3

4. Some of the hose wire clamps were really cheap and didn't really hold too tight after I put the hoses back on. I'm wondering if the hoses are loose, or if they're fine without as much pressure from the hose clamps.

5. I can smell gasoline while riding often. I don't remember smelling gasoline ever while riding until now

6. While putting my bike one a rear stand, I turned the rear wheel and felt some resistance on and off. Like you would turn the wheel, there would be a moment of resistance, then no resistance, then some resistance again, etc. Thought the brake was sticking. Went for a ride and the bike felt like something was holding it back. Then I thought of the whole carb deal. I never remembered my rear brake touching the rotor when I used to put it on the stand to clean the chain. It makes some slight noise too.

I'm honestly not even happy when I'm riding anymore, because the whole time I'm just freaking out and kicking myself for being a clumsy tinkering oaf and wanting to touch everything. Can any of these problems really damage my bike, or am I just overreacting? The bike didn't need carb work, I was just a dumbass and thought shimming the carbs would actually help my bike, except I didn't realize than it doesn't help bikes that have been rejetted already!

Help me calm down and give me advice!
1LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #2
nickadolph
ninjette.org member

Name: nick

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250

Call me ignorant, but don't you tune in order to get a nice smooth pull without surging?
nickadolph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 07:27 PM   #3
1LoneWolf
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickadolph View Post
Call me ignorant, but don't you tune in order to get a nice smooth pull without surging?
Yes but it feels like it's losing power at high RPM's. Maybe I should have worded it better. It surges, then it sorta drops down. It used to have me hanging onto the handlebars until redline.

Old September 16th, 2011, 10:25 PM   #4
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LoneWolf View Post
1. While putting the carbs back together I pinched one diaphragm and tore another at the edge. This is what I think is the cause but the damage was really enough in my opinion. Just a small tear off the edge of the diaphragm and the other one flattened out a little (also on the edge.) That's about a $300 fix right there. It was fine for a couple days after I "fixed" them and re-seated them, but now the bike feels a little weaker. Big screw-up #1
Don't worry about a small tear as long as the airproof seal isn't affected.
Quote:

2. While syncing the carbs, I accidentally pushed the screw in too much and it revved the engine, pulling some of the color-dyed water into the carb. It sucked in very little but still sucked in some water. Hoping I didn't damage the engine or the carbs. Big screw-up #2
Don't worry about that--if it had caused any problems, it would have caused MAJOR issues and you'd know.
Quote:

3. I dropped a siphon tube into the gas tank while trying to siphon some gas out. Now I'm worried it's blocking fuel flow in the tank. Maybe it really isn't, who knows. I need to find a way to get it out. Big screw-up #3
It's not blocking any flow at all. Have you ever removed the petcock and looked at it? You've have to spill a blog of tar in the tank for it to blow flow.

Quote:
4. Some of the hose wire clamps were really cheap and didn't really hold too tight after I put the hoses back on. I'm wondering if the hoses are loose, or if they're fine without as much pressure from the hose clamps.
The clamps just hold them in place. The seal needs to come from the hose and the nipple--you shouldn't notice any difference with the clamps on or off (except that the hose might eventually work its way off.)

Quote:
5. I can smell gasoline while riding often. I don't remember smelling gasoline ever while riding until now
From the tank, the exhaust, or the carbs?

Quote:
6. While putting my bike one a rear stand, I turned the rear wheel and felt some resistance on and off. Like you would turn the wheel, there would be a moment of resistance, then no resistance, then some resistance again, etc. Thought the brake was sticking. Went for a ride and the bike felt like something was holding it back. Then I thought of the whole carb deal. I never remembered my rear brake touching the rotor when I used to put it on the stand to clean the chain. It makes some slight noise too.
Rusty chain, damaged chain, warped brake rotor, or you used a paddock stand that rubbed on the rear spocket's nuts.
Quote:
Can any of these problems really damage my bike, or am I just overreacting?
The last issue should be addressed as a potential problem. The rest should be addressed as 'learning experiences'.

Quote:
Help me calm down and give me advice!
I hope this calms you down.
In a week or so, I'll come back and answer the questions truthfully!

Old September 17th, 2011, 01:57 PM   #5
1LoneWolf
ninjette.org member

Thanks dude! I'm still a little worried about the carb diaphragms, My next tune up is at 3000 miles so I'll probably replace them at that time. I'm just worried that if I ride it hard it's gonna tear even more. I'll have them drains the float bowls and check for water too as it's part of the tune up. You think I should put some Marine Sta-Bil in it just as a precaution?

I already have an appointment for the mechanic to check the brakes next week. I might have him change the fluid anyways because it still has the factory brake fluid in it from over 2 years ago.

I rode it to work today and it feels pretty smooth, maybe it's just the bike breaking in. It used to feel much more crisp though.

Old September 17th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #6
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250r

i smell gas all the time when im gunning it especially if i redline in first gear. not sure if thats normal but it seems to be okay

Old September 18th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #7
1LoneWolf
ninjette.org member

I think I realized why I have the loss of power. I installed a Pipercross air filter and I think it leaned out the engine. I might have to go up a jet size. It's jetted right now, not sure of the jet size though. It has a full exhaust system as well. I bet if I put my old filter back in it will have a little more power because the bike will run richer.

Old September 18th, 2011, 06:47 PM   #8
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

Quote:
I think I realized why I have the loss of power. I installed a Pipercross air filter and I think it leaned out the engine. I might have to go up a jet size. It's jetted right now, not sure of the jet size though. It has a full exhaust system as well. I bet if I put my old filter back in it will have a little more power because the bike will run richer.

Put the old filter back in until you can sort the jetting.
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I'm assuming you shimmed with 2 washers and removed the snorkel when in stalling the Pipercross Filter. Adding the Pipercross is not going to lean out the engine to the point of power loss on it's own. Your full exhaust system is playing a role as well. The Stock #98 jets, shims and snorkel removal are good with the Pipercross. The Pipercross filter helps smooth out the acceleration instead of the burst after passing 9k rpm. The Ninja is rich in the 8-10k range. The extra air flow you are getting smooths that range out a little ( slightly leaner, but still with in a good A/F ratio operating range) If you have already rejetted (and shimmed), you may be experiencing rich bogging in that range. (this may be why you smell gas as well) I would suggest checking and replacing your fuel line clamps if you are smelling gas. Always keep in mind the temp changes will affect performance as well.

DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 01:40 AM   #10
1LoneWolf
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBlue1 View Post
I'm assuming you shimmed with 2 washers and removed the snorkel when in stalling the Pipercross Filter. Adding the Pipercross is not going to lean out the engine to the point of power loss on it's own. Your full exhaust system is playing a role as well. The Stock #98 jets, shims and snorkel removal are good with the Pipercross. The Pipercross filter helps smooth out the acceleration instead of the burst after passing 9k rpm. The Ninja is rich in the 8-10k range. The extra air flow you are getting smooths that range out a little ( slightly leaner, but still with in a good A/F ratio operating range) If you have already rejetted (and shimmed), you may be experiencing rich bogging in that range. (this may be why you smell gas as well) I would suggest checking and replacing your fuel line clamps if you are smelling gas. Always keep in mind the temp changes will affect performance as well.

I haven't shimmed, I took the shims out actually, because I didn't like the feel of the bike. Besides, I thought that rejetting and shimming weren't something you needed to do together? isn't it just one or the other? I found that out later (after trying it). The bike felt smooth but it felt weaker when I shimmed it. My bike is already jetted.

My snorkel is still in, maybe I should take it out. I have taken the snorkel out a couple times but always put it back in because I never noticed a difference with it out.

Old September 19th, 2011, 07:11 AM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
I haven't shimmed, I took the shims out actually, because I didn't like the feel of the bike. Besides, I thought that rejetting and shimming weren't something you needed to do together? isn't it just one or the other? I found that out later (after trying it). The bike felt smooth but it felt weaker when I shimmed it. My bike is already jetted.

My snorkel is still in, maybe I should take it out. I have taken the snorkel out a couple times but always put it back in because I never noticed a difference with it out.
There are times when you need to shim and jet at the same time (all depends on the set up). Moving the clip (down) on the needles that come with a jet kit is the same as shimming with washers. Your problem is you need more air, so taking out the snorkel would be a benefit on a shimmed or rejetted bike.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 07:43 AM   #12
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

do you know how to work with carbs...?