ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 24th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #1
OddlyOrdinary
ninjette.org member

Name: Asdf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250

One time Bike Transportation

I live in a semi-rural area based around a large University, and after talking with the dealers in town I'm most likely going to have to buy from a major city 150-200mi away. Any suggestions on a one time transportation method of getting my bike from a dealership that far away to my location?

I drive a Ford Explorer, and UHaul won't rent trailers for any ford explorers of any year. Apparently the old issue with Explorer's rolling over caused their legal department to forbid it. I also looked into trailers but my current living arrangement doesn't have space for a trailer storage, and the foldable kind doesn't work either as I have nothing but covered parking.

Right now one of the cheapest options I see is renting a UHaul passenger truck with an open bed, for 19$/day and 59c mi. Drive there, pick it up, drive back. Would make a total cost of about 250 to ship it. I'm currently in talks with two dealers after a craiglist purchase fell through, but haven't asked about shipping.

Anyone had a dealer ship a bike to you over longer distances? I remember seeing a post that had a 70mile delivery for $150. Don't know if it matters but this is in Texas. Thanks.
OddlyOrdinary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Mazakawi
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Do you know anybody else who owns an SUV or pickup that would let you borrow it? Even a mid size car could tow a motorcycle and trailer without much issue.

That or get a ride from somebody out to the dealership and ride your new bike home.
Mazakawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #3
Clearlynotstefan
ninjette.org member

Name: Stefan

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250, Totally black. Gsxr 600 Red.

ride it?
Clearlynotstefan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2011, 01:05 AM   #4
gadgetguy1288
Coastie Tweet

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R Ebony, 2012 BMW F800R White

IDK if its possible for you, but my bike was purchased from a dealer about 70 miles from me and I never rode a bike before so I didn't wanna drive it home and didn't have any friends with trucks. I rented an F150 from enterprise and it ended up costing just under $100 for the day. It was worth it me to be able to pick it up in person, and the mileage on the truck was unlimited. Even a 200 mile trip I would think you'd be able to make the trip there and back in one day pretty easily.
gadgetguy1288 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2011, 02:43 AM   #5
n4mwd
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Riding it home would be my first choice. Get someone to drop you off and then enjoy the ride.

Before that, I would push the SUV off the nearest cliff. Those things are too dangerous. A lot of whole families have been killed in them when they roll over.

If you must trailer it, make sure you get a 4 pack of those ratcheting tie downs and make sure the truck/trailer has plenty of places to tie to.

Old September 25th, 2011, 02:24 PM   #6
n4mwd

See what I mean about SUV's being dangerous. This kind of thing happens all the time around here.

Man Dies In I-95 Crash

Quote:
MARTIN COUNTY, Fla. -- Police said a man died after being thrown from his vehicle in a crash on Interstate 95 about 11:04 p.m. Saturday.

Authorities said a 2000 Ford Excursion was traveling northbound on I-95 when it turned east toward the grassy shoulder. The driver, Jason Matthew Seal, 23, attempted to steer the vehicle back to the correct lane, it began to rotate counter-clockwise.

Police said the car went north on the grassy shoulder and re-entered onto the northbound lanes. It then overturned three times.

Seal was thrown from the vehicle due to the impact. Doctors at St. Mary's Hospital were unable to save him.

The car came to final rest north lane of I-95, and blocked the outside shoulder and the inside northbound lane.

Police said they are still investigating the crash.
Riding the bike home sounds like the best plan.

Old September 25th, 2011, 02:33 PM   #7
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

I say ride it. Gives you a chance to knock miles off the break-in right away. Plot out some back roads to vary the RPM's and take a few breaks for the bike to cool off. The money you save will pay for gear and other stuff you'll need, not to mention a sweet lunch break about mid way back

Old September 25th, 2011, 03:31 PM   #8
OddlyOrdinary
ninjette.org member

Name: Asdf

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250

I was mostly worried about having the skill to drive on the highway right away. As I remember my MSF instructor saying, "Congrats, you're now skilled enough to practice in a parking lot and not die in a ball of fire."

When I was 16, I got my license and was forbidden from having a passenger for three months at my parents request before states started requiring it. Also had a time period before I could use the highway. I still remember how nervous I was when I got on the highway alone for the first time, and my merging lane went 4 stories in the air to cross over.

I'm a freelancer so I can work where-ever, I think I give myself a few days to get used to the bike and then drive it back like people suggested. I actually imagine that straight highways won't be a problem, but at some point I'll have to go through the Dallas highway mess that is crossing from I35-I45.
OddlyOrdinary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #9
Mazakawi
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
See what I mean about SUV's being dangerous. This kind of thing happens all the time around here.

Man Dies In I-95 Crash

Riding the bike home sounds like the best plan.
Don't blame a bad driver's actions on a vehicle.

Why did the SUV suddenly turn towards the median? A vehicle that old could have any number of steering components fail in the front end if not properly maintained. We only have part of the story. Also, how do we know that it wasn't the driver who caused it? The guy was thrown from the vehicle which tells us that he wasn't wearing a seat belt. Probably would've survived if he had it on.

SUVs don't just flip over while going in a straight line. Something has to happen to cause it. Whether that something is a mechanical failure of the vehicle or an under/over reaction of the driver.

The biggest issue with Ford Explorers was the Firestone tires a long time ago. The tires would blow out and cause the driver to lose control and then the SUV would flip. That issue has long since been resolved.

Most of the time it's cause by somebody going too fast through a turn in a top heavy vehicle. That's driver error.

I've driven plenty of SUVs before and I have never been in one that flipped over.

Old September 25th, 2011, 05:21 PM   #10
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazakawi View Post

Why did the SUV suddenly turn towards the median? A vehicle that old could have any number of steering components fail in the front end if not properly maintained. We only have part of the story. Also, how do we know that it wasn't the driver who caused it? The guy was thrown from the vehicle which tells us that he wasn't wearing a seat belt. Probably would've survived if he had it on.

SUVs don't just flip over while going in a straight line. Something has to happen to cause it. Whether that something is a mechanical failure of the vehicle or an under/over reaction of the driver.

The biggest issue with Ford Explorers was the Firestone tires a long time ago. The tires would blow out and cause the driver to lose control and then the SUV would flip. That issue has long since been resolved.

Most of the time it's cause by somebody going too fast through a turn in a top heavy vehicle. That's driver error.

I've driven plenty of SUVs before and I have never been in one that flipped over.
From the description, it sounds like a simple case of steering over correction. That is a known cause of SUV rollovers.

You're right about the seat belt. However, there was one model of SUV that the whole back seat would come loose, seat belts and all, pop out the rear hatch, and then the SUV would roll over the kids that were buckled in back there. I don't remember which one, but I'm sure they have fixed it by now.

Also, it rained heavily about that time, so weather may have been a factor too. I didn't know the steering parts went out that soon on SUV's. That's nice to know. It doesn't surprise me.

But the main point is that you can do the same thing with a car (over correct or have a tire blow out) and the car doesn't roll over.

Old September 25th, 2011, 05:30 PM   #11
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:

N4 hates everything with 4 wheels when you hear a guy crashing going 150 on a bike he will try to protect him .

Old September 25th, 2011, 07:48 PM   #12
Mazakawi
ninjette.org member

Quote:
From the description, it sounds like a simple case of steering over correction. That is a known cause of SUV rollovers.
Like I said, that's a case of people being incapable of handling a vehicle in an emergency. They panic and then say it wasn't their fault when something bad happens.

Quote:
You're right about the seat belt. However, there was one model of SUV that the whole back seat would come loose, seat belts and all, pop out the rear hatch, and then the SUV would roll over the kids that were buckled in back there. I don't remember which one, but I'm sure they have fixed it by now.
Design problem from that manufacturer. I can only hope they fixed the problem before people died from it.

Quote:
Also, it rained heavily about that time, so weather may have been a factor too. I didn't know the steering parts went out that soon on SUV's. That's nice to know. It doesn't surprise me.
Again, driving too fast for conditions or something like that.

It has nothing do with SUVs parts failing that quickly. It's a matter of people not maintaining their vehicles. If you don't take care of proper maintenance on a vehicle it will break.

There are so many moving parts in the front suspension/steering that a failure of a single piece could cause you to lose control.

I have a 3 Year old truck. The ball joints in the front suspension are starting to leak. They aren't gone yet but they are getting there. They are a wear item that will eventually have to be replaced. When I replace them I will buy upgrade parts that can be serviced and not have to be replaced again.

Quote:
But the main point is that you can do the same thing with a car (over correct or have a tire blow out) and the car doesn't roll over.
It doesn't matter what you're driving. If a tire blows out and you handle it correctly you shouldn't have any problems. If a driver panics they will lose control.

If a car goes sideways it's entirely possible for it to flip. All it takes is for one of the skidding tires to catch traction while sideways. The tires aren't meant to hold up in that event. The sidewall will fail, the tire will roll, and the car will likely flip.

I've had pickups sliding sideways down the road in ice and snow before. In fact I commonly drift my truck through corners in the winter. I have never even come close to flipping before.

TL;DR:

People panic and over react in emergency situations and bad things happen.

Old September 26th, 2011, 06:19 AM   #13
n4mwd

Quote:
Like I said, that's a case of people being incapable of handling a vehicle in an emergency. They panic and then say it wasn't their fault when something bad happens.
But for cars, overcorrecting a steering error can mean swerving into the opposing lane - not rolling.

Quote:
Design problem from that manufacturer. I can only hope they fixed the problem before MORE people died from it.
Fixed it for you.

Quote:
I have a 3 Year old truck. The ball joints in the front suspension are starting to leak. They aren't gone yet but they are getting there.

It doesn't matter what you're driving. If a tire blows out and you handle it correctly you shouldn't have any problems. If a driver panics they will lose control.

If a car goes sideways it's entirely possible for it to flip.
My 90 CRX has about 180K miles on it and the steering parts are all original with no signs of leaking or significant wear. Its a rack and pinon steering which is simpler than truck steering, but if your truck is leaking anything after 3 years, its time to switch manufacturers.

Again, rolling is much more likely for an SUV than a car. With the same car, I've wiped out a couple of times going too fast down the former dirt roads where I live. I've found myself going sideways at 40 mph. I'm sure I probably panicked a little, but I didn't roll.

I'm sure the Uhaul people were considering all this when they denied the OP a trailer.

Old September 26th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #14
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
N4 hates everything with 4 wheels when you hear a guy crashing going 150 on a bike he will try to protect him .
Because with car-bike altercations, its nearly ALWAYS the car's fault. Just yesterday I met a one legged biker who told me he lost his leg because a car ran a red light. I suppose you will try to say its the biker's fault for not staying home that day.

Old September 26th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #15
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
Because with car-bike altercations, its nearly ALWAYS the car's fault. Just yesterday I met a one legged biker who told me he lost his leg because a car ran a red light. I suppose you will try to say its the biker's fault for not staying home that day.
Thats irrelevant yes car ran a red light thats terrible and the biker wasnt at fault i feel bad for him but not all drivers are bad and there are bad riders you got it twisted, I said you protect the riders even if theyre a numbskull not the one just enjoying riding.