ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 21st, 2011, 12:57 PM   #1
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Best beginner helmet?

Shoei seems to be very common, but from what I can tell, they're considered to be more high-end.

I know that they all offer virtually the same amount of protection if they're DOT/Snell approved and they get more expensive when it comes to weight, ventilation, aerodynamics and whatnot. Plus, a lot of it depends on the shape of your head, but what do you think? Is there an ideal helmet for a noob?

I hate to admit I'm picky when it comes to shape/color =p. I think Shoei and Arai look really good. Some of the graphics on the cheaper helmets look pretty damn ugly if you ask me and might not really coordinate with the color of your bike. I like solid colors. I think white is proven to be the best.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2011, 01:02 PM   #2
W8INLINE
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): 2011 black 250r

Quote:
...but from what I can tell, they're considered to be more high-end helmets...
Beginner rider's sculls crack just as easy as advance rider's sculls do.

I would get the best helmet I could afford no matter if I was a beginner or not.

I agree with you on the DOT approved thing, beyond that my decision would be based on comfort weight and looks.

I have an ICON and a JOE ROCKET helmet, both are large and both purchased in a few months back. The Icon has less wind noise, is more heavy and the pads inside are so "worked in" that the helmet now feels like an extra large (no, I have not washed the pads on either helmet yet)

The joe rocket was recommended to my by the girl working at the store I bought it from..so maybe they were making more commission? I actually was holding the Icon I ended up buying later on, only because it was the high vis one vs. the joe rocket that was the flat black
W8INLINE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2011, 01:04 PM   #3
WhiteRice
Kamikaze Squirrel

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8INLINE View Post
Beginner rider's sculls crack just as easy as advance rider's sculls do.

I would get the best helmet I could afford no matter if I was a beginner or not.
WhiteRice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2011, 01:07 PM   #4
Heed

But then what's the difference between a $179 helmet and a $330 helmet?

I thought they had all the same quality of protection, and that the extra money goes to ventilation and stuff.

Just wondering if it's not the greatest idea for an absolute beginner to spend $330 on the cheapest Shoei, or even $400 for an Arai..although I love the Arai Profile in white :P

Old October 21st, 2011, 01:25 PM   #5
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

This is going to turn into another thread about $ vs protection. The concensus as far as I am concerned is, get a helmet that is certified and is a decent brand name. There are many helmets that fit into this category.

Scorpion is one of those that many feel are a great value for the level of comfort and features given. One thing is for certain, try them on because your head is unique. Get the helmet that fits those criteria and most importantly fit your head well. It should slide on snuggly and you should have this feeling of "oh this is tight but comfy all around". If you feel at all "uhhh it fits ok i guess... eh" then you probably should try another one. Goodluck.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2011, 01:30 PM   #6
WhiteRice
Kamikaze Squirrel

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r

If the helmet passes DOT/SNELL, then extra money goes into design and materials; which translate directly into weight, features, and graphics basically.
WhiteRice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2011, 01:40 PM   #7
lux
ninjette.org guru

Name: lux

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Like people have already posted, the "best" helmet is the one that fits properly (regardless of your skill level). Whether it's the greatest idea may be debatable. When I first thought about riding I purchased an Arai RX-7. When I actually began to ride I purchased a Shoei RF-1100. Bought another RF-1100 the next year. They fit me well and, as far as I could tell, were light and provided good ventilation. As a new rider I figured I'm not used to wearing a helmet (or any of this other gear), might as well get a light(er) one. They're comfortable too. So, my reasoning was that if it's light and comfortable, it shouldn't be very distracting, and I could focus on learning to ride.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2011, 01:41 PM   #8
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
There has been significant discussion on this topic elsewhere in threads. To briefly summarize:

*Not all DOT stickered helmets offer the same protection. DOT allows companies to self-certify, and less reputable brands cheat. Some companies put stickers on without ever testing, so don't buy some off-brand off of ebay. DOT has done some random spot checks, I've discussed these somewhere in these forums but I'm too lazy to find it right now from work, and there are some themes with companies that regularly fail. For this reason (and not because of the theoretical quality of the certification), you may want to look for an ECE or Snell certification, or go with a big name brand DOT only helmet that you can trust.

*In this blog entry on gear colors, there is discussion of a study that concluded that compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk of accident. And wearing a generally light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk of accident. So buy a brightly colored or white helmet.

*Many of the features of very expensive helmets - venting, sound dampening, quality of inner liner, weight, etc. are comfort rather than safety features. If you are thinking purely safety, you don't need to spend $400. But I've had inexpensive HJC and expensive Arai helmets -- the extra money is worth it to me, particularly on long rides.

*More important than anything is fit. Try on helmets before you get your heart set on one. The Arai Profile you mention below, for example, won't fit the majority of heads -- it is for narrow heads. A more neutral fit would be the Arai Vector or Shoei RF1100, with the Arai Quantum for round heads. I fell in love with the Kali Naza Carbon, for example, only to learn it was too round for me.

*Check out http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm, which has the best information on sizing, safety and reviews of helmets anywhere. Fantastic site, I wouldn't buy a helmet without checking with them.

*Lots of good helmets out there. But if I had to put out a short list, good reputable value brands include Scorpion and HJC if you are trying to save a buck and still get a very good helmet. Best deal out there right now on inexpensive, good quality helmet probably on a Scorpion EXO-700, you can get for about $100 or $125, and it has a neutral shape. (Still, try one on first.) Arai and Shoei are the industry standard if you have a couple hundred extra to spend.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2011, 01:48 PM   #9
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

@Floyd I'm starting to get the feeling you have responses all typed up ready to go. Always so detailed, organized, and unbiased.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2011, 01:51 PM   #10
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Anything to avoid working, Brian. 4:50 on a Friday right now.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old October 21st, 2011, 03:08 PM   #11
burningscooter
clutch

Name: nameless

Motorcycle(s): L1 GSXR600

I think the best entry helmets are the AGV K3 and the Speed and Strength SS1000.

Both offer a lot of helmet for the price. here are the reviews done by revzilla.

Speed and Strength ss1000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D69PHCtkBXY

AGV K3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNMgWBQtHZI
burningscooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

I wouldnt think of gear as a type of, best for noob vs pros kind of thing. Im a new rider, and i got the shoi rf1100 (amazing btw). The question is like me asking you what he best food is for a beginer to use the microwave (anything really, as long as its made and safe for the microwave).

You want to think in terms such as safety and features. love my shoi because its safe (snell and dot approved) and has great features (quick removabl faceshield, amazing ventalation, great looks, light, aerodynamic, ect).

Honestly, Id say go for the shoi or arai. Great helmets. You get what you pay for, often.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2011, 06:34 AM   #13
burningscooter
clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
I wouldnt think of gear as a type of, best for noob vs pros kind of thing. Im a new rider, and i got the shoi rf1100 (amazing btw). The question is like me asking you what he best food is for a beginer to use the microwave (anything really, as long as its made and safe for the microwave).

You want to think in terms such as safety and features. love my shoi because its safe (snell and dot approved) and has great features (quick removabl faceshield, amazing ventalation, great looks, light, aerodynamic, ect).

Honestly, Id say go for the shoi or arai. Great helmets. You get what you pay for, often.
I agree that you get what you pay for, but, you cant disregard other helmets solely on the basis that they arent in the 390+ range and/or arent SHOEI/ARAI. There are plenty of entry helmets that offer great protection/features at great prices.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 12:28 PM   #14
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
The question is like me asking you what he best food is for a beginer to use the microwave (anything really, as long as its made and safe for the microwave).
Or like asking whats the best condom for a virgin.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 12:51 PM   #15
DerTeufel
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2009 KTM 690 SMC, 2001 Suzuki GSX-R 750 (track bike)

Get the best quality gear that you can afford and make sure that it fits properly. There are a lot of helmets out there that are both affordable and are of good quality.

I, too, will cast a vote for Scorpion or HJC.
DerTeufel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2011, 02:54 PM   #16
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Here's a new helmet that I found. I now like this more than the AFX-100.

HJC IS-16

Old October 22nd, 2011, 05:26 PM   #17
Heed

Quote:
The question is like me asking you what he best food is for a beginer to use the microwave (anything really, as long as its made and safe for the microwave).
lol.

ok thats a way to put it

I like the Shoei Quest/RF1100

Old October 22nd, 2011, 07:00 PM   #18
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

anything you can afford

Old October 22nd, 2011, 08:31 PM   #19
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

a bicycle helmet
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:19 PM   #20
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
a bicycle helmet

Old October 22nd, 2011, 09:48 PM   #21
Magz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

I wear a Hawk helmet. Definitely not one of the "brand name" helmets, but it fits well, is comfortable, and feels as solid and safe as any helmet I've worn. And the price is good.

This is the one I have

Same company makes modular helmets that I've heard a lot of people like, but I'm pretty anti-modular.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:05 PM   #22
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Get the shoei I got a white one with silver shields, damn that thing is hot.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:17 AM   #23
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magz View Post
I wear a Hawk helmet. Definitely not one of the "brand name" helmets, but it fits well, is comfortable, and feels as solid and safe as any helmet I've worn. And the price is good.

This is the one I have

Same company makes modular helmets that I've heard a lot of people like, but I'm pretty anti-modular.
Hawk helmets have a very mixed reputation for quality, which is being kind. Don't be fooled by reviews on Leatherup, which not only attracts a crowd that thinks skull caps are good helmets and leather vests are protective gear, Leatherup removes negative reviews on their stuff. Very misleading, since no one else sells what they do, so you don't get an fair appraisal of the products on their site. Leatherup buys factory direct from sketchy factory in China, leaving you with no manufacturer to rely on for warranty or liability, and no one to contact about safety testing procedures. 30 day warranty only should tell you what Leatherup thinks of their product.

Could still be safe in a crash, might be a good helmet. So no intent to bash your helmet or choice at all. But in a thread about recommended helmets for newbie riders, I think it important to emphasize the benefits of steering away from the uber-cheap helmets that aren't backed by safety data and a strong manufacturer reputation (or warranty). This is particularly important with DOT-only certified helmets because of lack of DOT actual testing.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:52 AM   #24
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Im begining to agree with Brian about your posts Floyd lol. I never knew that about leather up, which would explain why the gloves I got from them wernt the best.

Also, refering to someone else, when I said you get what you pay for, there are indeed exceptions. I also agree with others about the scorpions. I bought a scorpion online before I ever got a bike, I thought it fit rather wierd but wasnt sure at first. Then aftr the MSF course, I knew for sure it was a bit different. I went to try on a few helmets after that and decided on the Shoi because it fit my head perfect. I now have a scorpion helmet for if I ever take up a pasanger I guess.

Learn from my mistake, go and try on some helmets before making the ultimate decision. I tried on the rf1100 and knew right away it was good. where as the scorpion i was iffy, because the shell shapes of the two are different. Youll never know exactly what will fit until you try a few on. Ask for assistance too, those guys are pros and helped me alot.

Just me rambling on though. a side ramble is you will, to the larger picture.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:11 AM   #25
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

this is my next helmet

http://www.revzilla.com/product/gmax-gm68-helmet-solid

Old October 23rd, 2011, 09:22 AM   #26
burningscooter
clutch

I ordered a new helmet friday. cant WAIT!

Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:32 PM   #27
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
Great choice, and one of the vest value helmets out there. WebBikeWorld helmet of the year for 2007, and it is less than $100! Great ventilation and a rear safety LED, too. Please don't get the flat black, though. Helmet visibility the most important of all your gear according to studies, with up to 25% lower risk of accident just by wearing a white helmet.

As a bonus, even though DOT doesn't pretest before companies can claim DOT certification (a major problem with the standard), the NHTSA does spot check on a few random samples. The GMAX GM68 happened to be one of those, and it passed. I've attached a copy of the report, which is quite a luxury to have. Usually when companies decide to save the money and not pay for Snell certification, you are left wondering whether their "self-certification" for DOT is reliable. Here, there are no worries at all.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GMAX GM68 Helmet Test Results.pdf (4.59 MB, 5 views)

Old October 23rd, 2011, 12:44 PM   #28
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Looks like one of the vest value helmets out there. WebBikeWorld helmet of the year for 2007, and it is less than $100! Great ventilation and a rear safety LED, too. Please don't get the flat black, though. Helmet visibility the most important of all your gear according to studies, with up to 25% lower risk of accident just by wearing a white helmet.
ha to late!!! thats the one ive had my eye on!

if it was a matte or flat white Id be SOOO down. I figure the LEDs with a flat black will help. Also I maybe doing some experimentation with the paint/vinyl that lights up when reflects off it

My gear is all black and white. and Im prolly gonna paint the bike white as well...

Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:09 PM   #29
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Bottom line: get a helmet that fits your head the best and is certified to protect you. For visibility, bright colors and reflective stickers are good. But the most important thing is that the helmet fits your head. No matter how cheap or expensive a helmet is, it's never going to give you as much protection it can if it doesn't fit you right.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:22 PM   #30
kaiserz

Quote:
Originally Posted by burningscooter View Post
I ordered a new helmet friday. cant WAIT!
What did you get ?

Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:29 PM   #31
burningscooter
clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
What did you get ?
@ kaiserz

Should be here Wednesday. Will post actual pics when I get it

DOT/ECE22.05/Sharp 5/ACU GOLD.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:50 PM   #32
kaiserz

Ooooooooooooooooo sweeeeetttt mother!!!! Nice!

Old October 23rd, 2011, 01:58 PM   #33
Magz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Wish I'd come across that GMax helmet sooner. If I find myself in need for some reason, I'll definitely be going for that.

Old October 23rd, 2011, 02:43 PM   #34
burningscooter
clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
Ooooooooooooooooo sweeeeetttt mother!!!! Nice!
yeah man, i was considering the new Elements helmet also, however, I like the look of this one a lot more.

Old October 26th, 2011, 09:26 AM   #35
ruben5
ninjette.org member

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Triumph Street Triple R, 2004 Ninja 250

Had this Sparx for two years

Fit is great, pretty quiet, has DOT, and the price was just right!!
http://www.revzilla.com/product/spar...7-retro-helmet
ruben5 is offline   Reply With Quote