ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 8th, 2011, 11:39 PM   #1
Ninge R
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ninge

Motorcycle(s): GPX250r

Lost float springs

Hi everybody,
I've been cleaning my carbies and have somehow lost both the little springs that the float needle inserts into. Yes I am an idiot and should have been more organised. The parts list doesn't include them and I can't find a mention of them anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can get a hold of some of them or the spec of the springs so I can find a local replacement.

Any help really appreciated. I need to get my ride back.
Ninge R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2011, 01:12 AM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

92081-1891. Any online parts store should have it on the "carburetor parts" diagram.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...8858#sch638148

You can also get a full rebuild kit that would come with them.

Old December 9th, 2011, 01:19 AM   #3
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

http://www.ronayers.com/fiche is where I always go to look at part diagrams.
Here the carb parts list:
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID...rburetor_Parts

I don't know what you mean by "float needle" though. There are needles that go into the jets to meter fuel to the engine, but there are also floats in the float bowls, used to meter fuel from the tank to the carb bowls.

EDIT: I just noticed you have a GPX. I don't know anything about that bike or what carbs it uses, sorry.

Old December 9th, 2011, 01:42 AM   #4
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche is where I always go to look at part diagrams.
Here the carb parts list:
http://www.ronayers.com/Fiche/TypeID...rburetor_Parts

I don't know what you mean by "float needle" though. There are needles that go into the jets to meter fuel to the engine, but there are also floats in the float bowls, used to meter fuel from the tank to the carb bowls.

EDIT: I just noticed you have a GPX. I don't know anything about that bike or what carbs it uses, sorry.
He's confusing the needle with the float needle (which really shouldn't be called a needle at all) I've done the same thing. But it's pretty obvious which one he's talking about since only one has a spring around it. That's a pretty big spring to lose too. Might want to look around for it a bit more?

Old December 9th, 2011, 04:09 AM   #5
Ninge R
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the replies so far.

Sorry for the bad explanation. I should clarify a little.

I'm in Australia so a GPX250r is the same bike as an 86 - 07 Ninja 250r.

The springs I'm talking about fit onto part 16030 on this list:

So in summary; the plastic floats in the carb bowls are attached via a small metal tab to the float valve Pt 16030 (I called it a needle; sorry). The float valves sit in little springs. I have lost these springs.

Oh yeah; and I have searched high and low for the little f*****s. They be gone. Possibly down a sink. Yes! I know I'm an impetuous idiot.

If I had lost one of them I would try to find a match. I think I might have to keep my eye out for someone with a wrecker/spares bike.

Thanks again all.

Old December 9th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #6
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninge R View Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

Sorry for the bad explanation. I should clarify a little.

I'm in Australia so a GPX250r is the same bike as an 86 - 07 Ninja 250r.

The springs I'm talking about fit onto part 16030 on this list:

So in summary; the plastic floats in the carb bowls are attached via a small metal tab to the float valve Pt 16030 (I called it a needle; sorry). The float valves sit in little springs. I have lost these springs.

Oh yeah; and I have searched high and low for the little f*****s. They be gone. Possibly down a sink. Yes! I know I'm an impetuous idiot.

If I had lost one of them I would try to find a match. I think I might have to keep my eye out for someone with a wrecker/spares bike.

Thanks again all.
Thought it was a good explanation...... its called needle and seat. All these kids were born in the FI age.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2011, 09:32 AM   #7
el250
no such thing as ninjette

Name: AP

Motorcycle(s): (2) 1987 EX250E2, 1989 EL250B3, 1991 EL250E1, (3) 2005 EX250F19, 2007 EX250F7F, soon to add more..

Yes, GPX250 is F model. 1988-2007 F2-F7F unless in japan that got it starting 1987 EX250-F1.

It is a float valve that is also called float needle. 16030-1007 VALVE-FLOAT
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=328

Those valves do not sit into springs.
The only part it has is the clip (16044-007 also known as CLIP,FLOAT VALVE) that is the wire attached to connect it to the float.

The end of the float valve has an internal spring under that round metal end. You broke it apart?

The other end, the rubber tip, seats into the valve seat fitting when the level of fuel rises to set level where it shuts off flow. Gravity keeps the float valve open when it is low or empty not a spring.
el250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #8
Ninge R
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by el250 View Post
Yes, GPX250 is F model. 1988-2007 F2-F7F unless in japan that got it starting 1987 EX250-F1.

It is a float valve that is also called float needle. 16030-1007 VALVE-FLOAT
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=328

Those valves do not sit into springs.
The only part it has is the clip (16044-007 also known as CLIP,FLOAT VALVE) that is the wire attached to connect it to the float.

The end of the float valve has an internal spring under that round metal end. You broke it apart?

The other end, the rubber tip, seats into the valve seat fitting when the level of fuel rises to set level where it shuts off flow. Gravity keeps the float valve open when it is low or empty not a spring.
YES! The spring is internal. Damn I knew I was an idiot. [double face-palm]
I got confused with the mixture needle springs or something. I've never done anything mechanically previously; so that's my excuse.

As you were everybody.

Thanks for the help.

Old December 9th, 2011, 11:12 PM   #9
NYC Diesel
ninjette.org member

Name: Shak

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninja 250

You have no prior mechanical knowledge and your opening up your carbs ? You are a brave man my friend.
NYC Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2011, 11:21 PM   #10
Ninge R
ninjette.org newbie

Ha. Yeah.
I have wanted to do some tinkering with cars for years, but it never happened.
Bikes are way more accessible and this ninja was relatively cheap with no service history, so I just went for it. Although big thanks to the internet without whom it probably would not have happened. Especially the faq.ninja site with all the pics and tutorials.

There are some tricky things to get your head and fingers around, but it's really not all that difficult. And if I ever get really stuck I'll just throw all the bits at a mechanic and say "can you make it better please"

Old December 11th, 2011, 07:48 AM   #11
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Yep. I never tinkered much before either. Since I never really wanted to put my only mode of transportation out of commission to satisfy my curiosity, I left my cars alone. But once I started looking at getting a bike, and saw the amount of info on the 250, I figured I would give it a try. After riding for the second half of the summer and doing small repair and maintenance jobs, now that the winter is here, I've done a complete tear-down of her. Plan to do some modifications and maintenance, re-route the wiring, service the brakes and forks, re-work the air intakes, and a few more little things. It's a great feeling to be able to repair and modify things, and I enjoy spending the time working and problem solving. The bonus is the economic side of it. I only have to pay for parts, and not the crazy labor rates. I hope to do a little more research and try my own valve adjustment, too. I definitely find it to be an extremely rewarding hobby, and enjoy all the learning in the process.
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote