ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #1
miss_connie
~08 ninja 250~

Name: Connie

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250

too much oil

so in the fall, a friend did my oil change for me but put a lil too much oil in it.. he said it'd be ok but i wanted it to be the way the book says.. i'm still new and i don't know anything about that sort of thing so i wanted some taken out but i don't have a ratchet and i'm not comfortable doing that sort of thing so i came up with a way to remove some oil and staying clean!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ninja!.jpg (93.7 KB, 29 views)

Last futzed with by miss_connie; March 8th, 2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: my pic didn't attach
miss_connie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

A little too much won't hurt much. A lot too much can have serious consequences, primarily blowing seals in a variety of areas in the motor.

Some people have had luck siphoning oil right out of the fill hole, using something like a windex bottle squeeze pump. But at least one story I read had someone lose that tube down into the fill hole, which created a new problem, so be careful.

When you measure the oil level, make sure that the bike is on a flat surface, and raised as close to vertical as feasible. If you can't hold it vertical while viewing the sight glass yourself, have a friend do one or the other, to make sure the oil level is near the center of the viewing area.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #3
miss_connie
~08 ninja 250~

ya, it was past the top of the window, i have to put a piece of wood under the kickstand so it's easier for me to hold it upright, now it's 3/4 in the window instead of past the top.. i work in a lab so i used a butterfly needle (minus the needle) which attaches to the syringe so it wont come off.. threw a straw down there first so the tubing went where i needed it

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Very clever idea, Connie
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 01:12 AM   #5
MikeBudd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): RED 2010 Ninja 250r

Lovin it. I'll bookmark this just incase this ever happens to me.
MikeBudd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Make sure you check again after running the engine for a few seconds. Often it will appear overfilled until it gets inside the new oil filter and the visible level drops. The visible level will always drop while the engine is running, so shut it down quickly and check.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 04:36 AM   #7
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Make sure you check again after running the engine for a few seconds. Often it will appear overfilled until it gets inside the new oil filter and the visible level drops. The visible level will always drop while the engine is running, so shut it down quickly and check.
Sorry I disagree you should let the bike stand for a while and let the oil drain back down to the sump thus giving you a correct oil level if the oil is still up in the oil ways you can risk over filling run the engine for a few mins let the oil get to temperature then shut the bike down give it 10 or mor mins to drain down and recheck. The same goes when changing the oil it should be hot so the oil is less viscous and drain more freely.

Old March 9th, 2012, 06:47 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by loz944 View Post
Sorry I disagree you should let the bike stand for a while and let the oil drain back down to the sump thus giving you a correct oil level if the oil is still up in the oil ways you can risk over filling run the engine for a few mins let the oil get to temperature then shut the bike down give it 10 or mor mins to drain down and recheck. The same goes when changing the oil it should be hot so the oil is less viscous and drain more freely.
Actually, it sounds like you agree to me, except for the part about getting the fresh, cold, oil to temperature before making sure you have enough. I would NOT want to run the engine any longer than it has to with too little oil in it! kkim's guide says to do it this way and my experience has been that it often requires a LOT more oil than the amount that originally read as "full." I've had to add to the full line and start up to 4 times before it finally registered more than empty and 7 times or more times before I finally got it to read between half and full, and that is when filling it to the "full" line each and every time.

As for waiting for it to return to the sump, which is what we agree on, that much is obvious and fairly quick when the oil is cold and the engine has only been on a few seconds (not much has worked its way up). Quite literally, the oil level will be visibly moving up and it's pointless to consider a particular moment during a changing indicator to be a "reading."

Another point where I disagree with you is letting it sit on the stand. The stand WILL change your oil reading. Try it before and after and you will see.

Old March 9th, 2012, 02:26 PM   #9
oreX
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2013 636 - ABS

Hehe neat, but I probably would have just gone with a turkey baster.
oreX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #10
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

Quote:
Actually, it sounds like you agree to me, except for the part about getting the fresh, cold, oil to temperature before making sure you have enough. I would NOT want to run the engine any longer than it has to with too little oil in it! kkim's guide says to do it this way and my experience has been that it often requires a LOT more oil than the amount that originally read as "full." I've had to add to the full line and start up to 4 times before it finally registered more than empty and 7 times or more times before I finally got it to read between half and full, and that is when filling it to the "full" line each and every time.

As for waiting for it to return to the sump, which is what we agree on, that much is obvious and fairly quick when the oil is cold and the engine has only been on a few seconds (not much has worked its way up). Quite literally, the oil level will be visibly moving up and it's pointless to consider a particular moment during a changing indicator to be a "reading."

You miss read i said nothing about letting it sit on the stand I said let the bike stand (British English )meaning stand still to allow the oil to flow back down.
Quote:
Another point where I disagree with you is letting it sit on the stand. The stand WILL change your oil reading. Try it before and after and you will see.
I am a fully qualified engineer with over 20 years experience on bikes cars and trucks .......Including complete renovations of engines and bikes.

read your manual it will tell you the difference in the amount of oil needed with or without a filter change .

Old March 9th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by loz944 View Post
You miss read i said nothing about letting it sit on the stand I said let the bike stand (British English )meaning stand still to allow the oil to flow back down.

I am a fully qualified engineer with over 20 years experience on bikes cars and trucks .......Including complete renovations of engines and bikes.

read your manual it will tell you the difference in the amount of oil needed with or without a filter change .
Yup, and I'm not disagreeing with you in your scenario. I'm just saying that, when adding oil using the sight glass, you don't want to fully warm the engine before adding enough. Also, you don't want to add too much and then have an issue getting it out, which is the reason you never pass the "full" line when adding oil. Clearly, we are talking about viewing the sight glass in this thread and it's a bit late for pre-measurement (already "too much oil").

Old March 11th, 2012, 11:51 PM   #12
miss_connie
~08 ninja 250~

when buddy did it, I read the manual to him, I think it said something like 1.7L? he dumped both in n said itd be fine.. Im thinking hes the type of guy that 1 doesnt like a woman telling him how to do the favour he's doing for her and 2, admitting he did it wrong lol its all good tho, hes still my buddy but he wont be doing the oil changes

As for the turkey baster, it wont fit that far in..

Old March 12th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #13
cmSAE
ninjette.org member

Name: Connor

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

how much qualifies as "too much"?

i did my own oil today and put in around 1.7-1.9L and the viewing glass is completely full when the bike is fully level...should i take some out?
cmSAE is offline   Reply With Quote