ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 20th, 2016, 03:18 PM   #1
smitty3896
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250r

help with rehab on neglected 2006 250r

hi everyone, im lookiong for some help with my newly aquired 2006 250r. long story short, my old roomate was an exchange student and bought it to use while he was here. it began having issues almost immediatly after he got it so it sat outside for about 2 months, then was moved into my garage, total it sat about a year.

now that im getting around to fixing it i have a few questions.

i started dissasembling so i could pull the carbs out to clean, and discovered someone else has been doing half-assed work on it. i found 4 of the screws for the airbox missing, 3 of the screws on the float bowl were completely loose, and the plastic piece for the air filter inlet was missing.

i have never seen a carbeurator as gunked up as this, while ample amounts of rust flowing through it (see photo)

when i removed the tank i found the paint on the left side was severly deteriorated (see photo) and the threaded hole right above it was the source. is that threaded hole supposed to go all the way into the tank? all it does is secure the fairing, and the other side doesnt go through and i dont see any reason why it would. especially since it was allowing the gas to leak out and destroy the paint.

when i drained the oil, it came out as a white frothy mix of water and oil. does anyone know where the water would have entered the system? it doesnt appear to be the head gasket because the coolant level is fine, and sitting there wouldnt be any coolant circulating through there anyway

and finally are there any other problems that these bike are known for that i should address?

thanks for all of your help!
smitty3896 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2016, 03:30 PM   #2
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Welcome!
Post mortem report:

Someone used too long of a screw on the top fairing bolt and punched a hole into it.
I suspect water got into the carb area or into the tank then the carb. drain and clean out the gas tank, oil/water from engine, remove spark plugs and drop some marvel mystery oil down the holes before cranking it , clean carbs and then change oil and filter. Add new gas and keep fingers closed and give it a crank.

Grab a beverage and read through this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto

Old March 20th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #3
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

how to fix that tank:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...ht=tank+repair

Old March 20th, 2016, 03:34 PM   #4
smitty3896
ninjette.org newbie

thank you so much!

Old March 20th, 2016, 03:42 PM   #5
smitty3896
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
Welcome!
Post mortem report:

Someone used too long of a screw on the top fairing bolt and punched a hole into it.
I suspect water got into the carb area or into the tank then the carb. drain and clean out the gas tank, oil/water from engine, remove spark plugs and drop some marvel mystery oil down the holes before cranking it , clean carbs and then change oil and filter. Add new gas and keep fingers closed and give it a crank.

Grab a beverage and read through this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Ninja250_Howto
i also removed the plate on the bottomof the transmission to clean out the wire screen thats in there. do you know where i can get a new gasket for it? i cant fine it inn the parts diagrams.

Old March 20th, 2016, 04:17 PM   #6
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
11009-1874 is the part # for the gasket. Also be sure to add the O-rings as well #670B2016 & 671B2590, don't forget to order extras for future oil changes.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 20th, 2016, 06:58 PM   #7
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

The white oil could be from the aluminum in your clutch plates and neglect. As for your carb problem, I reccomend a great carb cleaning and rebuild, if you can't get it done right @ducatiman can do it for you. The PO probably remove the plastic from the airbox for better flow, I wouldn't worry about it.