ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old March 14th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #1
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Thumbs up Sport bike riding position

I forgot how I stumbled on this video, might have been browsing on youtube randomly one day...

Anyways I found this video to be very helpful in demonstrating how to sit on your bike properly if you're on the track or doing a bit of "spirited" riding on a mountain pass.

There is a strong emphasis on using your lower body to keep you tight on the bike and inversely keeping loose above the waist. Understanding visually what this means could help out a lot of new (even old!) riders; I know it did for me.

Link to original page on YouTube.

I usually would ride pretty close to the tank (crotch right on the tank) with my knees hugging the side gently. This is comfortable and easier to ride if you're just commuting or going somewhere.

However, I found that when I scootched my ass further back in the seat it sort of forced me to bring my knees higher and use them to grip the tank and hold the rest of my body up. There was this sudden increase in stability and it made a huge difference in the twisties for me. Part of the reason is because you are shifting the weight off of your controls (ie. hands) and onto your knees/lower-body.

Also provides for a great leg workout.

Old March 15th, 2013, 02:20 AM   #2
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Now if only all the straight armed squids out there could see this...
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #3
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Great video!!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #4
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfresh View Post
I forgot how I stumbled on this video, might have been browsing on youtube randomly one day...
The video has been on here for 23 years. I don't know how they ride that with no wheels.

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #5
Lancaster
Bracing for Impact

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE

Good video
Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I'm on the top floor...
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Eric!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
excellent excellent excellent

Something else that's not brought up is that if you do it right it's actually more comfortable (IMHO, anyway).

I figured out the virtues of doing it right on my own, when I took my 08 on a 2500-mile tour. I had a lot of time in the saddle to ponder just what was comfortable and what wasn't. The stock, upright position was NOT comfortable for me long-term.

I found that one of the more comfortable positions was with my feet up and back as far as I could get them, weight off the butt and on my thighs instead, and leaning far forward with my weight resting on the tank or tank bag.... classic sportbike position, weight off my hands. Very much like a jockey.

Based on this experience I bought rearset adjusters, clip-ons and tank grip pads and I found the ergos to be MUCH better, at least for me. The grip pads are important (TechSpecs are great).

The big tradeoff is that you need to crane your neck more to look ahead because you're pitched forward. So I further refined the position.

Now I try to ride most of the time with my back at least straight (I mean actually straight, not humped at all) or even arched so my ribcage is sticking out a bit. This also means sticking my butt out.

What this does is straighten the top of my spine so I'm not craning my neck as much. It also puts my chest/belly in contact with the top of the tank, so I can carry some weight there and relax my thighs when needed. Arms are bent, forearms parallel with the ground. Very light on the bars.

Riding like this for several thousand miles has convinced me that sport bikes aren't the torture racks they're made out to be. You just need to sit on them the right way.

As you're sitting at your desk, try this:

Pick a spot on the far wall in front of you, about two feet above your line of sight. Keep your eyes fixed on it and hump your back the way most of us do when we tuck. Now reverse and arch your back instead.

Big difference, eh?
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #9
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Now I try to ride most of the time with my back at least straight (I mean actually straight, not humped at all) or even arched so my ribcage is sticking out a bit. This also means sticking my butt out.

What this does is straighten the top of my spine so I'm not craning my neck as much. It also puts my chest/belly in contact with the top of the tank, so I can carry some weight there and relax my thighs when needed. Arms are bent, forearms parallel with the ground. Very light on the bars.
Funny you mention this as it is exactly what I have been doing lately as well.

The hunched back works great at higher speeds and/or during aggressive corners, but typically I find myself straightening my back and sticking that arse out as it keeps my neck better aligned when looking forward (i.e., more comfortable).

During longer straights, like the highway, I often lay on the tank as well to offset some of the fatigue.

I should look into getting some tank huggers so I don't have to squeeze against the tank quite as hard.

Old March 15th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #10
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
excellent excellent excellent

Something else that's not brought up is that if you do it right it's actually more comfortable (IMHO, anyway).

I figured out the virtues of doing it right on my own, when I took my 08 on a 2500-mile tour. I had a lot of time in the saddle to ponder just what was comfortable and what wasn't. The stock, upright position was NOT comfortable for me long-term.

I found that one of the more comfortable positions was with my feet up and back as far as I could get them, weight off the butt and on my thighs instead, and leaning far forward with my weight resting on the tank or tank bag.... classic sportbike position, weight off my hands. Very much like a jockey.

Based on this experience I bought rearset adjusters, clip-ons and tank grip pads and I found the ergos to be MUCH better, at least for me. The grip pads are important (TechSpecs are great).

The big tradeoff is that you need to crane your neck more to look ahead because you're pitched forward. So I further refined the position.

Riding like this for several thousand miles has convinced me that sport bikes aren't the torture racks they're made out to be. You just need to sit on them the right way.
Well said. Another thing people need to do is remember to move around once and awhile, that helps keep me from getting stiff or cramping up.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote