ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Bee in my helmet!!!

Well, I was cruising around today with Amy (my bike), enjoying the nice weather. When out of no where a bee flew straight under my helmet! (under the bottom part near my neck) It was flying around like CRAZY in my helmet I FREAKED out (because I am deathly allergic to bees and didn't have my shot with me, so if I was stung, I would die) After about 2 seconds i didn't see it anymore.. (I assumed it found it's way out and I was done with it).. but then after about 15 seconds I see the head of it, crawling up my visor (it looked like it was on the outside) I got so scared I flung it with my glove. Then, I look up, and here I am on the yellow double lines and a car flew RIGHT by me! I could of been KILLED! At this point I am super shaken up, I get in my lane, and I check my mirror to see if the bastard was gone. I was happy to find out he was gone. So I just slowed down and continued on.... then... I see his ugly eyes crawling up the visor AGAIN! I'm so confused at this point! I look in the mirror and cannot see him, then it finally hit me... he NEVER left my helmet!!!

I started to try to control my breathing as I slowed down and pulled over to a drive way, I unclipped my helmet and quickly took it off. I saw the bastard crawling in there so I opened the shield and flung him out, he was dead on the street at this point... It was right then when I noticed a large drop of blood hit my gas tank, then another, and another. I looked in the mirror and my whole ear was bleeding, I didn't have ANYTHING not even a napkin! So I Just used my finger to put pressure on my ear. It was bleeding like crazy. Luckily after about 2 minutes it seemed to stabilize a bit. I put my helmet back on and drove to a nearby lake (keep in mind I am in the middle of no where so there were no public places I could have gone) I wash my ear and try to get some of the blood off the tank (luckily not much blood in my helmet).

I continued on home, first thing I did was clean the blood off my tank properly and then go and put Amy away (my bike). I looked in the mirror and I saw a rip in my ear.... ugh... what a day...

In retrospect, I realize the second I saw the bug in my helmet I should have pulled over. It's just hard to think sometimes when you are so deathly allergic. I know there are a million things I could have done differently, but I'm just happy me and Amy are alive and I learned something.. I hope my ear heals

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #2
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Man that sucks, sorry I LOL'd haha. How was your ear bleeding? Did you cut it when you ripped the helmet off fast?

This is why I'm glad my helmet has a little net at the chin that goes to my neck. F Bees!
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #3
Singh2jz
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

What a frightening story! How did you happen to rip ur ear? Thank god you didn't get stung and the car didn't hit you what if the bee stung your helmet and was slowly passing away. You never know..

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:49 AM   #4
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForceofWill View Post
Man that sucks, sorry I LOL'd haha. How was your ear bleeding? Did you cut it when you ripped the helmet off fast?

This is why I'm glad my helmet has a little net at the chin that goes to my neck. F Bees!
I think I may get one of those.. lol, it's okay you lol'd I am laughing now thinking about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh2jz View Post
What a frightening story! How did you happen to rip ur ear? Thank god you didn't get stung and the car didn't hit you what if the bee stung your helmet and was slowly passing away. You never know..
Jesus... I don't know, that would have been lucky, I will look for a stinger in my helmet. What a horrific experience.

Not sure how my ear was cut, no sharp edges in my helmet at all. but I ripped it off really quick and I guess when I did that it could of pulled my ear the wrong way (it happened beneath my ear lobe where my ear meets me jaw)

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #5
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Foiled again!

Old June 30th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #6
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

Well I'm glad it's just a story you can tell now!

Old June 30th, 2014, 10:25 AM   #7
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

In 22 years of riding I've been stung in the throat by a bee/wasp/hornet at least 3 or 4 times. I ride with a fullface and a bandanna, but even so, sometime you run into a wasp or whatever at 60 mph and you get stung.

If you are highly allergic to stings, you should always be prepared to deal with anaphylactic shock when riding. If you ride enough miles, sooner or later you will be stung.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 30th, 2014, 10:32 AM   #8
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Most of the time when there is a bug inside you helmet if you open the visor while moving the bug will fly out. Somehow I got a spider in my helmet the other day. I didn't know he was in my helmet until I say him crawling on the inside of my visor.

But yeah, bee stings are a real possibility when riding a motorcycle. You should be more prepared in the future if it does happen. Glad you survived this time.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #9
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Glad your here to post it... Oh **** moments are priceless
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #10
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I can relate. First day I got my new riding jacket, I was buzzing along around 60, just coming up on my destination, so I tilted my chin back to loosen my chin strap. BAM bee sting to the next at 60mph.. I didn't get the stinger out for another minute until I was able to pull over and take off the gear.

First thing I remember was confusion.

Second thing I remember was thinking "anti-histamine"

Called someone told them to get that isht out and ready for me... rode over there quick as I could, feeling confused and stupid.. Chewed up a benadryl, crushed/snorted another, downed some water... lay on the floor.

Started wheezing, really confused, no idea where I was.. Kept thinking.. "Call an ambulance... No, I'll be dead by the time they get here then someone will be stuck with a bill.."

An hour passed with lots of violent vomiting and rolling around moaning in the fetal position.. Didn't feel normal for the next day or two.

So how does that be-sting-allergy work -- does it get more pronounced with each sting? Bees never bothered me as a child, but the last time I got stung I swear I almost died.

Glad you're safe OP. I know the feels... Not too fun..

Old June 30th, 2014, 03:48 PM   #11
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Beeware!

Old June 30th, 2014, 04:24 PM   #12
NinjaZX6R123
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ninja

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX6R, 2009 Ninja 250R

LMAO! This exact thing happened to me. I was on the freeway going 80mph. The trick is.. just open up your visor.
NinjaZX6R123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #13
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

I have had multiple Bees in my helmet, and been stung many times- Luckily I am not allergic

But My older brother is deathly allergic.

KEEEP BENDRYL in your BIKE! Liquid gels, capsule and an EPI pen if you can

Its zero effort to put those in a baggy in your tool kit ! your life is worth a tiny bit of effort!

I keep an inhaler in mine because I have asthma .

Also - don't wig out and always stop and resolve the situation calmly. if you are road killed that is just as deadly as a sting. so calmly signal pull over and take your helmet off slowly! Spazing out only makes a bee freak out too.

Good luck next time - Remember there will always be a next time!!!
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #14
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
@Jiggles had a story
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #15
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

now go buy yourself some new pants...
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #16
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
I have had multiple Bees in my helmet, and been stung many times- Luckily I am not allergic

But My older brother is deathly allergic.

KEEEP BENDRYL in your BIKE! Liquid gels, capsule and an EPI pen if you can

Its zero effort to put those in a baggy in your tool kit ! your life is worth a tiny bit of effort!

I keep an inhaler in mine because I have asthma .

Also - don't wig out and always stop and resolve the situation calmly. if you are road killed that is just as deadly as a sting. so calmly signal pull over and take your helmet off slowly! Spazing out only makes a bee freak out too.

Good luck next time - Remember there will always be a next time!!!
Thanks, I already put together a little pack and put it in the back seat, ready to go for next time.

Old June 30th, 2014, 07:55 PM   #17
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

My stepmother has been stung enough times in life that the doctors have warned her it will be death next time. I can only imagine the panic. It is definitely important to have an Epi pen. IIRC, you are supposed to carry 2, as the reaction (if severe enough) can last longer than the medicine, so you may need to re-dose.

For the record, @corksil, I don't think snorting a benadryl is healthy. I wouldnt recommend doing that often lol

Old July 1st, 2014, 08:25 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
@Jiggles had a story
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110850

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85127
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 04:56 PM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I've had a bee in my helmet three different times and haven't been stung yet. I just open my visor and pull over and it usually flies out before I can even get the helmet straps undone.

I've also had fireants in my helmet, crawling in my ears (worse than being stung, if you ask me!).

If you ride Candy Plasma Blue, EXPECT to be stung eventually. Those buggers are attracted to it like moths to a bug zapper. If you have allergies, carry the Epi-pen!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 07:09 PM   #20
twistywrist
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): white 2014 Ninja 300 SE ABS

Like others have mentioned, you HAVE TO keep an epi pen under your seat if you're allergic to bees and value your life.

Also, try to realize that if you stay calm, don't start hyperventilating or make any sudden movements, and the bee will not sting you 9 times out of 10. They don't WANT to sting people, it's just a survival reaction (lol Keith Code), so don't trigger it! Pull over and open your visor calmly and it'll leave... plus if you have an epi pen you need to worry more about becoming road kill due to YOUR survival reactions than bee stings!

Glad you're okay man.
twistywrist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 09:11 PM   #21
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I've had a bee in my helmet three different times and haven't been stung yet. I just open my visor and pull over and it usually flies out before I can even get the helmet straps undone.

I've also had fireants in my helmet, crawling in my ears (worse than being stung, if you ask me!).

If you ride Candy Plasma Blue, EXPECT to be stung eventually. Those buggers are attracted to it like moths to a bug zapper. If you have allergies, carry the Epi-pen!
How did fire ants get in there?
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:35 PM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgentz View Post
How did fire ants get in there?
This was after I geared up and put down my deposit in but before my bike arrived at the dealer (early August 2008).

Because the covered picnic area was right next to the BRC course, the instructors told us to leave our helmets next to our bikes when it was time for lunch. Even though it was a brand new helmet the liner was already soaked with my salty sweat. The ants found it. Well, at least I guess that's what they were after (could've been some manufacturing oil or organic adhesive). I didn't know they were lurking inside until I was riding around and I kept feeling them in my ears. You can kinda guess how I reacted at first.

Even when I thought I had them all out I kept finding more the hard way. There was simply no way to get them all out during the class, so I just had to ride with them in it. Every time I felt another I'd tolerate it as long as I could but it'd always devolve into a panic when I'd finally get the opportunity to take my helmet off.

Don't ever leave your helmet on the pavement, folks!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:45 PM   #23
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Same thing has happened to me... twice! One of the times happened the very first ride I ever took on it. Glad to hear you're relatively okay though!
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2014, 10:49 PM   #24
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I don't recommend snorting benadryl either, nor anything else for that matter.

But it will most certainly cross the blood brain barrier quicker if insuflated.

You could also parachute it if you're having a reaction quickly.. crush it into powder, wrap in a single ply piece of tp, swallow it all. Any 'pill' will come on more quickly if you do this. If you don't believe me, look it up.