View Full Version : heat gun glue

juanpak87
September 16th, 2013, 05:17 AM
So i decided to peel off the decals on my bike with a heat gun this weekend. It was going well up until some of the glue wouldnt peel off on both sides. Can anyone recommend a good cleaner or advice on how to take off the dry glue?

jkv45
September 16th, 2013, 06:49 AM
Sometimes the glue will come off with tape. Take a piece of 2" masking tape, and push it down on the glue firmly, then pull it up quickly. Also try a wiping motion. If that doesn't do it try duct tape. A poor quality duct tape may leave more glue than it picks up.

After that I'd try WD-40 to soften the glue. Don't use anything harsh like brake cleaner. If WD won't take it off you can try a commercial remover like OOPS or similar. Most likely it will be fine, but test it in a safe place before rubbing it all over the paint.

Lychee
September 16th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Have you tried plexus?

juanpak87
September 16th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Thanks for thr advice guys but i used a combination of adhesive spray and goop off and with a good amount of rubbing all the glue pretty much came off. Only problem now is you could still see the kawasiki letters on the side and the areas where the stickers were. I heard sanding and then buffing would blend the colors well, but dors anyone else have any advice?

verboten1
September 16th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Don't sand it, just use polishing compound

Alex
September 16th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Wait, you removed the Kawasaki letters on the tank? I thought they were under the clearcoat?

quarterliter
September 16th, 2013, 07:37 PM
The reason you can still see the lettering is because adhesive that was left behind, trapped dirt in the same formation as the letters were.

jkv45
September 17th, 2013, 06:10 AM
The area under the sticker was protected from normal wear-and-tear, so it's still like new.

Use the most gentle compound to get the job done - don't sand it. Try using regular car wax and some pressure first. If that doesn't do it try some "swirl remover" or "glaze". Rubbing Compounds and even Polishing Compounds that you find in most regular stores are WAY too coarse, and can do more damage than good.

juanpak87
September 17th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks ill try waxing it this weekend. And, no not from the tank, i removed the stickers on the fairings.