Old June 7th, 2016, 11:30 AM   #12
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
Glad you appear to be okay.

I'm not 100% from the picture, but is that dirt rather than abrasion on the swingarm?
Good call on the helmet. If you don't trust it, replace it. How's the rest of your gear?
Where's the crash narrative? So far I've got corner and lowside, and those were 8 posts apart
There's some fine scratches on the swingarm from the dirt, but no scrapes from actually sliding and no paint missing. So it's really hard to notice.

As for the crash, I was going into one of my favorite local left hand turns.

I usually take the corner in between 45 and 50 mph on my 600. On my Grom I usually take it slower due to cornering clearance issues (I usually shoot for between 35-40 mph).

I should note at this point that I don't actually look at my speedometer, I mostly pick entry speed by feel.

I should also note that this was basically my first road ride since my previous track day.

I approached the corner as normal on the Grom in 3rd gear (redline is at about 50 mph in 3rd, so I couldn't have been going much more than 40mph), I even thought to myself I would take it easy as I was just out cruising by myself. However, probably about halfway way to the corners apex the bike suddenly and without warning tucked the front end before I even got the bike leaned over as far as it should have been.

I hit the ground pretty softly, slide for a bit, tried to get up too soon and then rolled once. The Grom slid off onto the shoulder and I just barely made it to the white line on the outside of my lane.

I was wearing Dainese Street Runner boots, Dainese kevlar jeans, an Alpinestars leather jacket, Alpinestars full gauntlets, and my Shoei RF1200. I slid on the jeans and jacket, both performed perfectly with no rips or tears whatsoever. I did however get a bit of a friction burn on my arm through the jacket and of course, I knocked my helmet onto the ground when I rolled.

After I got up I checked the road surface, it appeared to be perfectly fine, nothing that would have caused the crash.

I wasn't on the brakes or gas when I crashed.

My theory after talking through it with my fiance is that I simply entered the corner too fast for the OEM bias ply tires as I had just come off a track day on my 600 that's equipped with much stickier rubber.