View Single Post
Old February 21st, 2015, 04:31 AM   #118
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Right, let's focus on peak power numbers. Useable power bands? Waste of time. Forget the improvements to brakes and suspension design. Electronics are over rated. Improvements in material properties for long wear and long maintenance intervals? Over rated.

Yeah, small bikes will never be as good as the original. What a shame.

/snark
I do, like many others, lust for a triple or I4 300cc rocket. But it's just not going to happen. So much has been improved and to make a similar product to those baby rockets would set you back just as much as a modern super sport. It would be a niche bike. I do have to say though, dat sound that comes from a 250cc four banger is lovely.

I mean a ktm rc390 can be had for $9,000 with pretty decent adjustable suspension and 43 hp with a far more useable powerband than the old small displacement sport bikes. That's better than the 90s bikes if you ask me.

For example, the ZX-2R made 45hp and the RC390 makes 43hp, the ZX-2R was 144kg dry and the RC390 is 147kg dry, the ZX-2R had a 1370mm wheelbase the RC390 has a 1340mm wheelbase.

Now I'm not sure what the suspension spec was on the Kawi except that it was upside down just like the KTM. The KTMs suspenders are nonadjustable from the factory, but for $2,700 you can have the cup spec suspension fitted.

To me, it seems like the new little bikes are RIGHT on par with the old 250cc I4s, they just have a different cylinder count.

I might add that while the Kawi is slightly lighter and slightly more powerful than the KTM, the KTM smokes the Kawi in the torque department 26 at 7200 rpm for the KTM vs only 19 at 11500 rpm for the Kawi.

Last futzed with by thisisbenji; February 21st, 2015 at 06:43 AM.
thisisbenji is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.