ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 15th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #1
Old_Six_Fitty
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): DL1000 V-Strom, KLR650

Shopping for my Ninja

So being a cheap bahstadge and being familiar with wrenching, I'm shopping for an older the pregen Ninja 250R. Mostly as a project bike and occasional commuter. Ride to work is about 25 mi round trip and is 50/50 freeway vs city boulevard.

Shopping craigslist I see many cosmetically challenged bikes, but also see quite a few that may have title issues. I'm okay buying a low budget builder just to get the titled frame, then putting the best parts from two donors together to get a decent steed.

What are the typical issues to watch for?
> Frame weaknesses?
> Engine failures?
> Electrical failures?
> Cooling system failures?

Other than tune up & valve adjust, fresh fluids & lube, tires, brake pads / lines, repack wheel bearings - what else to expect when bringing the used and neglected Ninja back to optimal reliability and performance?

... or point the FNG to the FAQ / thread.
Old_Six_Fitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 12:49 AM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=70685

MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 07:23 AM   #3
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

I would wait to get a good runner in need of cosmetics only. Titles can be a pita and better off passing imo. These frames are pretty simple. Best price I have seen for a very clean pregen was $1200 in my area. Parts are pretty cheap
you usually can get a whole wire harness for $30-50 so even if an electric mess
that can be tidied up on the cheap. Good luck out there!

Old January 15th, 2015, 07:28 AM   #4
DanteCoal
ninjette.org member

Name: Dante

Motorcycle(s): 2016 Ninja 300 ABS, R.I.P 1986 Ninja EX250

I agree with crazymadbastard, but if you're wanting to get something cheaper that you're wanting to work on a bit to save money, go for it! It's a great feeling to bring an old(er) bike back to life.

As far as what to look for, if it's not too much trouble you should ask to see it w/o the fairings to get a good look @ the tabs, hidden rust pockets, etc. Also be prepared to invest time in CLEANING the hell out of the thing. In my experience all that caked on, baked on dirt and grime can really start to effect the life of a bike due to many owners not thoroughly (read: obsessively) cleaning their bikes. So engine cleaner, q-tips, and some pick tools may be in order. Possibly a chisel. (I wish I were joking about that last one)
DanteCoal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2015, 10:00 AM   #5
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

One with title issues could be the "donor bike", if you get two. I have seen complete wiring harnesses for around $20 - $25 on eBay recently. In my area, a good runner will cost around $1000 - $1200. It might be cheaper in the long run to spend a little more up front on a good runner, that to start with a project bike. For example I have seen one in my area that, according to the seller, has sat for 3 years and does not run $750. It is a complete bike, but I am staying clear of it because it has sat for so long.

I too enjoy wrenching, and a project. But, you don't want to spend $2000 to complete a bike that will be worth $1000 when comlpeted.

As for the title issues, I came accross this thread, but have not tried it. It seems too good to be true, but for less than $100, it might be worth finding out.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655441

Old January 15th, 2015, 11:37 AM   #6
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

YEP keep passing up those title-less bikes so i can get them even cheaper!!

I'd say 300-500 for a 'project' non running, cosmetically rough bike.

If you hound craig's you can pick up a pretty decent pre-gen with dirty carbs for less than a grand. For a grand it would have to be perfect, 90%+ cosmetics and less than 10,000 miles with maintenance history, and title (not running of course).

The <$500 bikes attract a lot of dreamers, wannabees and other idiots thinking they can fix it up. You gotta move fast and be decisive to snap them up, they usually disappear off CL within a couple hours.

I've been looking for 6 or 7 months now just waiting for the right bike to pop up at the right price. There are so many of these out there, it will pop up eventually, just don't expect to get a good deal checking once a week on sunday morning, you'll miss the choice-est nuggets.

I like to buy bikes that are greeeeeezzy, the greasier the better, that way you know there was oil in it and the grease protects the paint underneath. Its like I always say.. if its leaking oil, you know there is oil still in it... its when it STOPS leaking oil that you gotta worry.

oh yeah some changes got made in '99/2000 and i think there were some changes around 96, maybe just cosmetics. Just like with anything the tank rust, rubber condition, and other stuff that is affected by time and time alone will be better on a newer bike.

good luck!!
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote