ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old October 30th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #1
DreamN
Beer Me!

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 Car(s): '09 Cube, '93 240SX (Coupe & 'Vert)

Finally Getting a Bike :D

Joined up over at KawiForums as well.

Well, I've been telling myself for who knows how long that one day I'll get my motorcycle license and buy myself a 250. Probably been 10 years since I've first said that.

Anyway, few weeks ago I finally manned up and registered for my MSF course scheduled for the weekend of 11/05. I'm incredibly excited. Doing an intense amount of
searching on good deals for gear and plan on going to a few dealers to try some stuff on just to see how it all feels.

My plan is to purchase a black '08+ 250 to learn on and enjoy. If I feel confident enough I would love to take it out on the track. So far just hunting for a good deal in
my area, but would rather wait till I have all my gear and license before I start checking a few out.

As far as gear goes I've bought some, but not all.

What I have:

Helmet - Scorpion EXO-700 in Dark Silver with Aero Skirt

Gloves - Alpinestars SPX in Black

Shoes - Alpinestars Shibuya Riding Shoes in Dark Grey (these were more of a "they look cool" purchase, for the days I might feel a little squid like haha)

Planned purchases are:

Jacket - Teknic Supervent Mesh and I've seen some nice used leather jackets on craigslist that I'm considering.

Pants - Kevlar reinforced jeans, probably Shift Torques and I'm also looking into knee/shin protectors.

Boots - Looking into Alpinestars SMX-2 & SMX-5 boots since I know I need something a lot better than a nice looking high top sneaker to protect me.

I'm also looking into chest/back protector vests such as the Icon Stryker.

Any advice on gear is always welcomed, but don't get on me about the Shibuya shoes as I already know those won't do much if I ever do go down.

Read dozens of threads (this forum & others) on tips for the MSF, so I feel confident that I'll do well, but just to be safe I'm reading the course book before hand.

http://www.msf-usa.org/CurriculumMat...71_noprint.pdf

Any and all tips are welcomed, doesn't matter if I may have read/heard them before. It's good to be reminded.
DreamN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 03:36 PM   #2
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Best tip for msf is : To have fun and Welcome to the ninjette.
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #3
DreamN
Beer Me!

Definitely the plan. Excited for next weekend.

Old October 30th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #4
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Have as much fun on Ninjette as you do riding!
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 03:50 PM   #5
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

If you read the handbook PDF before taking the class you'll definitely pass the written portion.
Heed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #6
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Welcome written test is cake. Mostly common sense.

Old October 30th, 2011, 04:11 PM   #7
DreamN
Beer Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
If you read the handbook PDF before taking the class you'll definitely pass the written portion.
Yeah, read the DMV one which I thought was hilarious how small it was compared to the Automotive one.

Saw a video of someone explaining the whole MSF class process and he shared a link to the coursebook. A lot more information.
I simply wanted to be a lot more familiar with basic rider knowledge on the road.

Though I'm sure they'll be going over this a lot in the class section of the MSF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
Welcome written test is cake. Mostly common sense.
Figured as much, but simply playing it safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocha Man View Post
Have as much fun on Ninjette as you do riding!

Old October 30th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #8
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

And good job on gearing up and I won't say anything about the shoes hehe (I'm trying not to lol)
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #9
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Sounds like you've got your ducks all in a row; better than many beginners.

have fun on the bike, and welcome to ninjette!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 09:35 PM   #10
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

Welcome to the 250 party.
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #11
DreamN
Beer Me!

Not there just yet, but hope to be there in a little over a we.

Old October 30th, 2011, 11:35 PM   #12
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Always make sure to get gear before the bike (as you are already doing, good job!) It should be use the money to get good, quality gear; and the leftover goes to the bike fund. Where in LA are you? Once you're ready you could totally come ride with us when we ride around. We're mostly in the Beach Cities/OC (Tustin/Orange) area when we ride.

Look in to the Sidi ST boots, I have the ST Airs and I absolutely love them. I went to a place planning to buy the SMX-Plus boots (a step up from the SMX-5s) and figured they weren't that comfortable but they were full boots so I didn't expect much. They happened to have some Sidi boots in that day and holy hell it was an instant world of difference. Didn't even bother to look at the A* boots. I also wear a stryker under my leather vest and find it to be comfortable and easy to adjust. I really enjoy the extra protection and piece of mind I get from wearing it.

As far as jackets go be on the look out, IMO, for a textile or leather. Mesh are nice if it's really hot but I personally don't have a lot of faith in their protective abilities in comparison to a textile jacket which achieves about the same thing as far as cooling goes. If you don't like your gloves or they die on you as some SPX gloves do quite early look in to gauntlet gloves. I have the A* SP-2s and I love them. I've also heard a lot of good about Sedici gloves and the Knox Handroids which will totally rape your bank account.

Any questions after that short novel, ask away! Welcome to the forum
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 10:16 AM   #13
DreamN
Beer Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Always make sure to get gear before the bike (as you are already doing, good job!) It should be use the money to get good, quality gear; and the leftover goes to the bike fund. Where in LA are you? Once you're ready you could totally come ride with us when we ride around. We're mostly in the Beach Cities/OC (Tustin/Orange) area when we ride.

Look in to the Sidi ST boots, I have the ST Airs and I absolutely love them. I went to a place planning to buy the SMX-Plus boots (a step up from the SMX-5s) and figured they weren't that comfortable but they were full boots so I didn't expect much. They happened to have some Sidi boots in that day and holy hell it was an instant world of difference. Didn't even bother to look at the A* boots. I also wear a stryker under my leather vest and find it to be comfortable and easy to adjust. I really enjoy the extra protection and piece of mind I get from wearing it.

As far as jackets go be on the look out, IMO, for a textile or leather. Mesh are nice if it's really hot but I personally don't have a lot of faith in their protective abilities in comparison to a textile jacket which achieves about the same thing as far as cooling goes. If you don't like your gloves or they die on you as some SPX gloves do quite early look in to gauntlet gloves. I have the A* SP-2s and I love them. I've also heard a lot of good about Sedici gloves and the Knox Handroids which will totally rape your bank account.

Any questions after that short novel, ask away! Welcome to the forum
As much as I would love to dip into my pockets and get a pair of higher end Sidi or Dainese boots I just can't see myself doing that any time soon. Not because I don't feel that my feet are worth it or anything, but mostly because I'll be a new rider and considering how many actually give up on riding within the first year I really don't want to take the big of a hit to the wallet to simply say "I quit" 6 months from now. Not that I think that will happen, but need to cover myself.

I too have read that the SPX actually wear out fairly quick. I can see why. The leather on around the palm area is quite thin. Great gloves though. Love the feel and I got them for $70 shipped off eBay (brand new) so can't complain. I was actually debating between the SP-2s and the SPXs at first. If it wasn't for the deal I found on eBay I would have simply purchased the SP-2s off RevZilla, but if I stick with the bike long enough I'll definitely be looking to upgrade certain things down the line.

The way I see it it's like any hobby, you don't go out and purchase what the Pros are using, but you get yourself something you should feel safe in.

As far as the Jacket goes, I'll most likely be ordering the Teknic SuperVent Mesh because of the hot summers in SoCal, especially in the San Fernando Valley where I stay. Plus I've looked at tons of reviews and they're all really positive. Though as mentioned I'm also scouring craigslist for some used gear in hopes of finding a good leather jacket.

Once I have the bike and enough confidence I'll be glad to go riding damn near anywhere!

Old October 31st, 2011, 12:38 PM   #14
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

That's a smart move, though some would argue starting on a 250 is a way of starting out cheap You will probably have a pretty good idea of how you feel about the hobby and how dedicated you will be after taking the MSF. It also depends on your personality type.

If you stress easily or basically aren't good at letting things go it might not be for you. You kind of have to get used to the "people try to kill me every day" thing and learn to work proactively against it without letting it freak you out every time and play with your mind set before you even get on the bike. If you get past that though, you'll be riding for a long time; hopefully at some point with us good luck with everything!
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 01:49 PM   #15
jram
ninjette.org member

Name: Jose

Motorcycle(s): PreGen Ninja

Welcome aboard!
jram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2011, 07:29 PM   #16
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16

Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:32 AM   #17
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:51 AM   #18
DreamN
Beer Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
That's a smart move, though some would argue starting on a 250 is a way of starting out cheap You will probably have a pretty good idea of how you feel about the hobby and how dedicated you will be after taking the MSF. It also depends on your personality type.

If you stress easily or basically aren't good at letting things go it might not be for you. You kind of have to get used to the "people try to kill me every day" thing and learn to work proactively against it without letting it freak you out every time and play with your mind set before you even get on the bike. If you get past that though, you'll be riding for a long time; hopefully at some point with us good luck with everything!
If it were an older first gen 250 I'd completely agree (have actually considered it), but an '08+ 250 is a $3,000+ bike which is a bit up there especially for a first time rider. Plus tell that to anyone starting out on a Aprilia RS250 lol. Of course everyone has an opinion on everything I'm sure.

Two more days till the MSF. Definitely can't wait. I know I'll enjoy riding. Probably even give up tracking my car if I ever get the chance to track the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jram View Post
Welcome aboard!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Hello and welcome
Thanks guys.

Quick question, how much does mileage play a part on value for these bikes? I've found a Black '09 250 with 12k miles listed at $2,000. Nothing in the description about it having been dropped/laid down or any issues. From the picture it looks to be all stock. Really thinking of taking a look at it next week if it's still available.

Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:54 AM   #19
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Don't buy a growler exhaust...ahah tooooo loud =[

Old November 3rd, 2011, 09:56 AM   #20
DreamN
Beer Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Don't buy a growler exhaust...ahah tooooo loud =[
If I get a stock bike, it'll remain stock for quite some time.

Though I do like what someone did with a stock GSX-R exhaust.

Old November 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM   #21
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamN View Post
If I get a stock bike, it'll remain stock for quite some time.

Though I do like what someone did with a stock GSX-R exhaust.
What did they do?

Old November 4th, 2011, 11:44 AM   #22
DreamN
Beer Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
What did they do?
http://www.kawiforums.com/ninja-250r...nja-250-a.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkRNP_-djIA

Old November 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #23
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2011, 07:30 PM   #24
DreamN
Beer Me!

Today was my first day of the MSF course and I wish it had lasted a lot longer. Enjoyed it thoroughly. Can't wait till tomorrow.

One thing I have decided on is I'll be postponing purchasing my bike till I have all the gear I see necessary to be safe.

Still missing:

- Jacket
- Boots
- Riding Jeans
- Chest/Back Protector Vest
- Knee/Shin Guards
- Padded Shorts

That's going to put me back quite a bit, but it'll be worth it. The Padded Shorts and Chest/Back Protector Vest are things I may or may not purchase after the bike. Haven't decided completely on those. Knee/Shin guards are a must though.

Last futzed with by DreamN; November 5th, 2011 at 09:16 PM.

Old November 6th, 2011, 10:01 AM   #25
little fish
ninjette.org member

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Nija, 1984 es200 ATC

welcome aboard Jimmy. good luck with the tests!!
little fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM   #26
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Glad you chose the Ninjette for your first bike. You're going to love it! I spent the entire afternoon, outside, cleaning and maintaining my bike today: just because it's such an awesome machine and it's so pretty, I enjoyed all the work. It was even talking to me while I worked! (lots of our bikes do this)

Quote:
considering how many actually give up on riding within the first year I really don't want to take the big of a hit to the wallet to simply say "I quit" 6 months from now.
Where did you hear that? That surprises me.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2011, 04:36 PM   #27
DreamN
Beer Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Glad you chose the Ninjette for your first bike. You're going to love it! I spent the entire afternoon, outside, cleaning and maintaining my bike today: just because it's such an awesome machine and it's so pretty, I enjoyed all the work. It was even talking to me while I worked! (lots of our bikes do this)

Where did you hear that? That surprises me.
Not sure if it's simply a California thing or not, but I've read it on a few forums, talked amongst friends who actually ride/rode motorcycles, and simply by looking at for sale ads of folks claiming they don't have the time or that it wasn't for them. Honestly, I even figured it was common knowledge considering riding a motorcycle isn't a necessity.

From what I gather the ones who give up fairly quickly are the ones who go in with very little knowledge. Typically folks who go for the 'looking cool" factor than anything else.

Take for example some of the people in my class. There were at least 5 people who failed to read the requirement for what type of footwear they should have worn to class. A few went to the nearest cycle gear (fortunately there is one within 5 min. of the class location) and purchased gear on the whim with no knowledge of what they were buying, but simply going in with the mindset "I need cheap boots." One person in particular bought a jacket, helmet, gloves, and boots all at once simply because they were on sale and the color of the jacket and helmet matched her bike. This type of behavior, in my opinion, is that of someone who really isn't taking motorcycling serious. I commend them for taking the class and getting the basic knowledge of riding, but I just don't see many of the folks who were in the class riding for years to come.

Most of this is opinion so please don't think I'm quoting any actual info or trying to be a "negative nancy." Just calling it as I see it and I'll be the first to admit that I don't have 20/20 vision.

Oh and btw, I passed! For a good portion of the day it was done in the rain as well.

Old November 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #28
Javi
ninjette.org member

Name: Javi

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r Lime Green :)

From my experience, always pay attention to your surroundings. Will save you a heart attack!!!! And a new 2012 Ninja 250R
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #29
Javi
ninjette.org member

Name: Javi

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r Lime Green :)

Welcome
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 01:38 AM   #30
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Not sure if it's simply a California thing or not, but I've read it on a few forums, talked amongst friends who actually ride/rode motorcycles, and simply by looking at for sale ads of folks claiming they don't have the time or that it wasn't for them. Honestly, I even figured it was common knowledge considering riding a motorcycle isn't a necessity.

From what I gather the ones who give up fairly quickly are the ones who go in with very little knowledge. Typically folks who go for the 'looking cool" factor than anything else.

Take for example some of the people in my class. There were at least 5 people who failed to read the requirement for what type of footwear they should have worn to class. A few went to the nearest cycle gear (fortunately there is one within 5 min. of the class location) and purchased gear on the whim with no knowledge of what they were buying, but simply going in with the mindset "I need cheap boots." One person in particular bought a jacket, helmet, gloves, and boots all at once simply because they were on sale and the color of the jacket and helmet matched her bike. This type of behavior, in my opinion, is that of someone who really isn't taking motorcycling serious. I commend them for taking the class and getting the basic knowledge of riding, but I just don't see many of the folks who were in the class riding for years to come.

Most of this is opinion so please don't think I'm quoting any actual info or trying to be a "negative nancy." Just calling it as I see it and I'll be the first to admit that I don't have 20/20 vision.
Cool ok. I see what you mean.

Quote:
Oh and btw, I passed! For a good portion of the day it was done in the rain as well.
Congrats!
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2011, 10:44 AM   #31
jram
ninjette.org member

Name: Jose

Motorcycle(s): PreGen Ninja

Welcome!
jram is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 11th, 2011, 04:03 PM   #32
withoutequal
ninjette.org member

Name: noel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja250, 05 ninja 250

welcome!
withoutequal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #33
DreamN
Beer Me!

Still on the hunt. Plans are to actually look at an '09 in a couple days.

Recently missed out on a great deal. I believe it was a GP-Plus jacket, not the new style, but the one that just got replaced.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...808317726.html

Offered him $200 and he rejected it. Few days later he texts me and he's cool with $200. I check it out and it turns out it's actually a 46/56. ARRRGGHHH!!!

Was so ready to buy it on the spot, but it was so loose on me I was able to turn the elbow area 3/4 of the way around.

Sucks would have been nice too. Anyways, anyone local could score a really nice jacket for cheap. This thing looked like it had barely been used.

Old November 7th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #34
DreamN
Beer Me!

Wow...so a whole year had to go by before I actually bought the damn thing.

FINALLY!!!! '09 250R in the fastest color EVVVAAAAARRRRRRR!!! lol (Just had to add that)

4,772 miles. Rides great so far. Only one issue, previous owner broke off a small portion of the "nose" heading fairing.

I got a great deal on it which is truly the best part. If I decide this is all not for me or if I "out-grow" it (highly unlikely),
there is very little chance I won't get my money back and then some.

I'll definitely get some better shots of it in daylight.

Old November 14th, 2012, 12:19 PM   #35
DreamN
Beer Me!

So these last two days I've commuted to work. Definitely loving it. Bit squirrely in the rear on the highway, guessing that's due to the seriously skinny tire (130).

Only thing I want is a louder exhaust so I've begun the hunt for a used GSXR exhaust to install.

Old November 14th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #36
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Congrats on getting the bike!
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #37
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Congratulations on the bike, looks nice.

As far as feeling squirrely on the highway, the width of the tire is not the issue. In fact a bike that is in good mechanical condition should run straight as an arrow all the way up to top speed.

Make sure everything is correct. Proper alignment, chain slack, and making sure the wheel is in balance would be my first things to check.

Anyway, happy riding.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 03:00 PM   #38
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Congratulations in order is.

Quote:
Bit squirrely in the rear on the highway, guessing that's due to the seriously skinny tire (130).
Squirrely you say? Many find it not. How so?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #39
DreamN
Beer Me!

Probably poor choice of words. Just constantly getting caught in the grooves of the road would be a better description of what I'm feeling. Plus, I guess I should mention there was a good bit of wind these past few days so that might have played a part.

Actually had the bike serviced this past Friday at a shop recommended to me by a few friends who ride. Fresh fluids all around. Pads have plenty life left. Tires are great. Chain was lubed and as well as the clutch cable. Tech even rode it and all checked out.

Old November 14th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #40
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Are you running the stock tires?
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote