ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:21 PM   #1
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

A couple of Quick Questions

1. So I placed order for a battery, YTZ10S, a couple of days ago and when it got delivered it was leaking a wee bit

When I contacted the seller this is what I was told. As much as I want to believe it, I can't help be a bit skeptical about it. what do you guys think?

Quote:
Thank you for contacting us. When you order a KMG battery, you always receive a fresh, ready to install battery. When we ship our maintenance free AGM powersports batteries, they are pre-filled, charged and ready to install. These batteries are sealed and considered “dry” batteries. Because our batteries are freshly activated you may occasionally see small acid stains on the packaging.

AGM batteries are ‘fully sealed’, but do have pressure vents sealed underneath the battery top. There are ventilation slots on the lid of the battery that are designed to let out any pressure that may build up inside the battery due to heat cycling. This prevents the battery from exploding should it be overcharged.
Occasionally there will be acid stains that are visible, this typically occurs because the battery was filled and activated immediately prior to shipping. There may be some extra electrolyte that has not yet been fully absorbed. When the battery is shipped, during transit it could have been stored on its side or even upside down, the pressure may force out some of this extra electrolyte out of the normally sealed pressure vents. This is nothing to worry about, and should not affect the batteries life or performance. It should also not leak any further once properly installed in your application.

If you take the battery out of the box and give it a quick wipe down, the battery should work perfectly. If you continue seeing any acid stains, or you are just not confident in the condition of your battery, just let us know and we will work toward satisfying you on your purchase.
2. I was cleaning and lubing my chain, which I mean to change anyway, when I noticed something. When I rotated the rear tire, at a particular point, the chain was taut as taut could be with 0 slack and once I rotated it a bit more, the slack was back to the required amount. Is it the sprockets or the chain?

Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:04 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Shipped batteries that are seller "activated" may have some leakage because it may have been turned over during shipping. It's normal, but now you have to check the acid level to ensure there is enough in the battery. Unless the battery is manufacture sealed, I don't buy "activated" batteries, and if I do find a deal that is too good to pass up, I plan on a side trip to my local autoparts store for a bottle of acid and distilled water.

A chain will have tight spots and loose spots, that is normal too. There is nothing to worry with unless a link is frozen or the chain will not stay within spec slack.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:11 PM   #3
Singh2jz
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
A chain will have tight spots and loose spots, that is normal too. There is nothing to worry with unless a link is frozen or the chain will not stay within spec slack.
but isn't the tightest spot supposed to be within spec? So, the OP's 0 slack spot is supposed to be within range..?

Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:24 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh2jz View Post
but isn't the tightest spot supposed to be within spec?
Sorry, my reading fail.

Yep, tightest spot should have proper slack measured on the lower part of the chain, somewhere near the middle.

Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:28 PM   #5
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

Quote:
Sorry, my reading fail.

Yep, tightest spot should have proper slack measured on the lower part of the chain, somewhere near the middle.
phewww..i was about to say lol. why you gotta confuse me and ishhh haha

Old April 23rd, 2015, 08:33 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

For some reason, I tied this question to Baron's other thread, where a chain replacement is on the to do list.

lol, I try to make one mistake every day to keep myself well grounded. This was today's flub up. hahahahahhahahaah

Old April 24th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #7
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh2jz View Post
phewww..i was about to say lol. why you gotta confuse me and ishhh haha
You and me both. lol

Quote:
For some reason, I tied this question to Baron's other thread, where a chain replacement is on the to do list.

lol, I try to make one mistake every day to keep myself well grounded. This was today's flub up. hahahahahhahahaah
LOL
It is on my list but just in case if I am not able to do both I was just wondering what could be causing the issue.

Old April 24th, 2015, 02:08 PM   #8
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
You and me both. lol

LOL
It is on my list but just in case if I am not able to do both I was just wondering what could be causing the issue.
You have a chain link that is not free moving.
You need to find that link and get it moving or replace your chain.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote