ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 8th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #1
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Terrible Bikes

I'm looking for bikes to buy around my area and I can not believe how TRASHED some of these bikes are. Destroyed fairings, painted over frames, rattle canned gas tanks/fairings. I won't even go into wiring.

I looked at one GSX-R and it was missing a front caliper and rotor. The guy said it was to save weight in the twisties and all of the fast guys do it. I live 45 minutes from the Dragon. So far I've never seen where that is the case and I'm up there most weekends. Not to mention it didn't have a rear brake lever but the bike was "fine."

Another bike I looked at was supposed to be a 2005 zx6r. The fella told me about how it was faster than his CBR 1100 because it had so much work done to it and it was bored out and every part was aftermarket/custom. We get there and it is a zzr600. Nothing wrong with that as I can still work with it. Every part was stock. No rearsets or fairings. Sprockets were done. Painted frame and tank. Guy stayed up cussing me through text until 1am and trying to convince me it was a zx6r. Oh yea... did a VIN search and it was a zzr600. Go figure...

Last night I go to look at a seemingly cool bike. Suzuki tl1000r, pretty legit. Dude says it is ready to ride except it has a spun bearing. I'm fine with that. Engine work is my specialty and I'm all about getting a good deal. This bike was trashed. I can't even explain to you what was happening with the wiring. It was all over the place. It literally looked like a rats nest. Lo and behold it did run and did in fact have a spun bearing. I asked the guy if he did any wheelies as doing a prolonged wheelie on a tl1000r almost certainly leads to oil starvation on the front cylinder. He said he babied the bike. Despite a stunt sprocket on the back and a spun bearing on the front cylinder. Oh, and the fully caged stunt bike sitting next to it.

Not all hope is lost as I have found quite a few keepers but some of these bikes I simply can't believe. I can't believe someone would let them get this bad. I can't believe someone would ride around on something that ugly and dangerous.

Anywho I just thought I'd share my musings. Maybe you have had an interesting bike buying/selling experience or have seen a bike that really needed to be put out of it's misery. Please share!

tl;dr

WTF people? Share WTF people stories.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 06:11 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Sounds like a bunch of winners.

I haven't really gone to look at any used for sale streetbikes but just reading the posts and looking at the pictures is enough to deter me.

My fav though was when I was looking at a bike some guy had for sale on craigslist I was interested in. It was older so I didn't expect it to be pristine or anything. In the pictures I noticed a weblink sticker to some motorcycle forum. So I got on the forum and did some searches and I was able to find the owner of the bike and several stories about the bike, involving multiple crashes, abusing it at the track, redneck engineering ect...

I asked the guy some general questions through craigslist like, Ever been down, you ever track it? and what not, and sure enough the answer to every one was Nope, babied this bike, never even really rode it

I sent him back message, "oh so you are not the same (username from forum) with the same bike that has done (list of crap the guy talked about on the forum)?"

he didn't respond

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 06:12 AM   #3
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Nice! I love how easy it is to think circles around some people. Especially when they advertise where they are a member!

Old July 8th, 2014, 06:27 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I saw this yesterday where they are doing the same thing:
http://www.meanstreet.net/inventory/...-KAWASAKI-ZX-6

That is NOT a 2007 ZX-6R and yet they go on and on about the year! It's either a pre-2005 ZX-6R or it is a 2007 ZZR600 (essentially they are the same bike). Since they are so sure that it's a 2007, then it must be a ZZR.

The thing is, I found that site through a Craigslist listing where they called another bike a "2007 Suzuki ZX-6R!" LOL:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcd/4519069077.html
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 06:34 AM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Nice! I love how easy it is to think circles around some people. Especially when they advertise where they are a member!

I rep the ninjette.org stickers on my bike. (one of the very few stickers I'll allow on her paint!) If people wanna see what's been done with the bike, feel free to check out my stories/pics/videos/silly noobie questions. I will be happy if someone does that much research and I would feel much more comfortable knowing someone who cares that much is looking to buy my bike. I appreciate a well informed customer.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 8th, 2014, 06:50 AM   #6
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

A related issue that I hate is "not" listings on ebay to manipulate search results.
This beige pig is typical
"kAWASAKI-klr-650-NOT-TRANSALP-AFRICA-TWIN-TENERRE-BMW-GS-DR-XT-ADVENTURE-"
Wasting everybody's time.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/kAWASAKI-k...item4ad82d2599
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 06:56 AM   #7
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Good point. Useless tags. Looking for an r6? Search results show: BMW,Suzuki,Ducati,Baby Mama,wheel,hen,Kawasaki, etc...

Old July 8th, 2014, 06:59 AM   #8
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I saw this yesterday where they are doing the same thing:
http://www.meanstreet.net/inventory/...-KAWASAKI-ZX-6

That is NOT a 2007 ZX-6R and yet they go on and on about the year! It's either a pre-2005 ZX-6R or it is a 2007 ZZR600 (essentially they are the same bike). Since they are so sure that it's a 2007, then it must be a ZZR.

The thing is, I found that site through a Craigslist listing where they called another bike a "2007 Suzuki ZX-6R!" LOL:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcd/4519069077.html

Some rich a** people where you live... They are asking almost double what they are worth.

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:02 AM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
you should see my bikes :P

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:25 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Some rich a** people where you live... They are asking almost double what they are worth.
It's some kind of dealer, so of course it's a rip off!

Also, I doubt they will ever sell for that. The dealer can't even describe them properly!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #11
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

The funny thing..They will probably sell. Some moron with money will come along and buy it for full asking price.

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:56 AM   #12
curiousrat
ninjette.org member

Name: rat

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Makes me angry when people are being shady like that on CL, but that's why you have to do as much research as possible to make sure that it's legit.
curiousrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:57 AM   #13
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17

The boyfriend is always looking. I'll pass on any good stories.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 08:04 AM   #14
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

I think being female also makes it interesting.

I went to pick up a zx10r and the guy says "this bike isn't for beginners" Ok... I'll bite. I ask "how long have you been riding?" "about 2 years" he replies. "cool" I say "I've been riding for about 13 years."

We ended up making quite a bit of money off of that bike so I was a happy camper. When I first saw the bike I asked him if it had ever been to the track. He said "no" with certainty. I would have sufficed for an "I don't know." Truth be told it was a setup question as it had GPA's on it and I could see the outline of the sportbike track time sticker that had been on the window not to mention the holes in bolts for the safety wiring.

I understand that a owner may not know everything about the bike and that's fine. Sometimes it is just fun to set them up with obvious questions so I can write about them on forums.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:10 AM   #15
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Its really a screwed up market down here. Fayettville has the worst bikes and the worst prices. No one knows what their bike is r6s not = r6r , wtf . A bunch of idiots incapable of googling!!!

As for the Caliper and Rotor removed---- I have seen that on numerous HAYABUSAs here in Fayetteville at the yearly APPLE CHILL motorcycle meet up - 30000 motorcycles came this year.

My neighbor I ride with bought his 2010 ninja 600 and crashed it right away, laid it down on the throttle clutch side- thrashed the fairings levers shifter clip ons and the whole nine.

He spent a month rebuilding it and got chinese fairings. His wife backed into it and tipped it over and broke the fairings again

He fixed it again. Then 2 weeks ago he crashed it again but this time on the throttle side.

He rides it to work and back - He and I ride on the weekends. I usually lead. As long as he is following my lines he seems to have no problems. Every time he lays it down he says its cause there is gravel and there is nothing he can do.

Eventually his bike will end up for sale

Check out Flip-my-cycle. On their CL adds and website it looks like they have nice bikes.

You go into their shop/show room- they have thrashed bikes piled up out back with painters tape listing the stuff that needs to be fixed before they go on the show room.

Thrashed bikes are the market down here. Up in NY I can find decent bikes cheap or thrashed ones for next to nothing. I got my 2008 ninja 250 with no fairings but rolling and running for 800$ with like 5k miles on it. CBR900 1800$ and this was ten years ago ! all it needed was head bearings , oil seal on the stator cover, and a turn signal bulb.

I have been tooling of CL since I moved here 3 months ago and the only good deals I have found are a GSXR 600 1997 with bad transmission for $900 spray painted fairings and a Buell blast 500 that had a "bad transmission" but was missing a bunch of parts because he took it to his "mechanic" but his mechanic doesn't do lower end work so he never put the shifter and clutch side pegs back on for 600$ (he sold it for 325 the next day- it was a failed detent plate)

UGH - The south is a PAIN IN THE ARSE!!

I did find a nice DAYtona 600 04 - for 1500 but the owner backed out after he found someone to work on it cheap.

With all that being said- I think I will go on CL now
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 08:18 AM   #16
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
I think being female also makes it interesting.

I went to pick up a zx10r and the guy says "this bike isn't for beginners" Ok... I'll bite. I ask "how long have you been riding?" "about 2 years" he replies. "cool" I say "I've been riding for about 13 years."
Classic big-ego move: sees lady rider, automatically assumes inferiority at skillful operation of the macho manly rocketship bike.

Old July 8th, 2014, 08:34 AM   #17
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Choneofakind - Having a dick is worth 10 years of motorcycling experience . didn't they teach you that in MSF?

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 8th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #18
Ninjinsky

Duplicated, sorry

Old July 8th, 2014, 08:43 AM   #19
Ninjinsky

Back in the day My old friend Beth could have shown him a thing or two.
She rode several classes in the Manx GP
Here's her results
http://www.iomtt.com/TT-Database/Eve...L&ride_id=7743

Old July 8th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #20
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Quote:
I looked at one GSX-R and it was missing a front caliper and rotor. The guy said it was to save weight in the twisties and all of the fast guys do it. I live 45 minutes from the Dragon. So far I've never seen where that is the case and I'm up there most weekends. Not to mention it didn't have a rear brake lever but the bike was "fine."
Ahahaha oh my god

Last year, somebody on CL was parting out a pregen. Since I've scratched and scuffed my fairings and tank, I figured I might go take a look - if the parts bike fairings were in better condition, I'd grab them and put em on when selling my bike in the future. Within the ad were the words "extremely clean". I call the guy up, ask him if there's any cracks, any tabs broken off (the pregen's side fairing poking tab bits break off aaallll the time), if the clearcoat was fine, etc. The guy told me there were absolutely no cracks, it was pristine, blah blah.

So I roll up to this dude's place, which ended up being in the boonies at the end of a 2 mile gravel road. I go take a look at the bike. It is the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen in my life. It must have been sitting out in the rain for years, because separate metal parts were literally rusted together. Every piece of fairing was cracked on at least 50% of its mounting tabs. It looked like someone had poured a bucket of gasoline on the bike from 2 feet above the tank - front fairing and tank paint was completely bubbled up and peeling off in long strips.

I was so pissed off. I hate people like that, and I don't understand why they lie the get someone to take a look. A buyer's gonna be even less likely to buy when the seller shows he doesn't give a god damn about the buyer's time.

I just left. Sometimes I wish I could yell at jerks like that, but I'm a lady so anything I say about male-centric activities is automatically wrong

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:00 AM   #21
Ninjinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post

So I roll up to this dude's place, which ended up being in the boonies at the end of a 2 mile gravel road. I go take a look at the bike. It is the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen in my life.
Yeah I bought a "mint" pregen fairing and frame off ebay like that. I was mad not only because there was a crack on every panel but the mofo bid up 20 bids to my max under an alias and pulled the last bid that went over.
He belongs in jail

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #22
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klondike1020 View Post
Its really a screwed up market down here. Fayettville has the worst bikes and the worst prices. No one knows what their bike is r6s not = r6r , wtf . A bunch of idiots incapable of googling!!!

As for the Caliper and Rotor removed---- I have seen that on numerous HAYABUSAs here in Fayetteville at the yearly APPLE CHILL motorcycle meet up - 30000 motorcycles came this year.

My neighbor I ride with bought his 2010 ninja 600 and crashed it right away, laid it down on the throttle clutch side- thrashed the fairings levers shifter clip ons and the whole nine.

He spent a month rebuilding it and got chinese fairings. His wife backed into it and tipped it over and broke the fairings again

He fixed it again. Then 2 weeks ago he crashed it again but this time on the throttle side.

He rides it to work and back - He and I ride on the weekends. I usually lead. As long as he is following my lines he seems to have no problems. Every time he lays it down he says its cause there is gravel and there is nothing he can do.

Eventually his bike will end up for sale

Check out Flip-my-cycle. On their CL adds and website it looks like they have nice bikes.

You go into their shop/show room- they have thrashed bikes piled up out back with painters tape listing the stuff that needs to be fixed before they go on the show room.

Thrashed bikes are the market down here. Up in NY I can find decent bikes cheap or thrashed ones for next to nothing. I got my 2008 ninja 250 with no fairings but rolling and running for 800$ with like 5k miles on it. CBR900 1800$ and this was ten years ago ! all it needed was head bearings , oil seal on the stator cover, and a turn signal bulb.

I have been tooling of CL since I moved here 3 months ago and the only good deals I have found are a GSXR 600 1997 with bad transmission for $900 spray painted fairings and a Buell blast 500 that had a "bad transmission" but was missing a bunch of parts because he took it to his "mechanic" but his mechanic doesn't do lower end work so he never put the shifter and clutch side pegs back on for 600$ (he sold it for 325 the next day- it was a failed detent plate)

UGH - The south is a PAIN IN THE ARSE!!

I did find a nice DAYtona 600 04 - for 1500 but the owner backed out after he found someone to work on it cheap.

With all that being said- I think I will go on CL now

I need someone up North to buy my bikes and send them down. The South does have a jacked up sense of a bike's worth. It's unreal.

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:31 AM   #23
Ninjinsky

Quote:
I need someone up North to buy my bikes and send them down. The South does have a jacked up sense of a bike's worth. It's unreal.
There's a business opportunity just waiting for you to throw the switch

We in the UK have an outfit who bring in literal container loads of classic bikes from the states because of the price difference. Most classics here are rotten from the weather so the clean rust free bikes from California sell at a premium in the UK.

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:37 AM   #24
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
There's a business opportunity just waiting for you to throw the switch

We in the UK have an outfit who bring in literal container loads of classic bikes from the states because of the price difference. Most classics here are rotten from the weather so the clean rust free bikes from California sell at a premium in the UK.
No really. I literally need someone up North to find bikes and help me get them down here. I've got tons of money sitting in a bank account and nothing to spend it on.

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:37 AM   #25
mikromo
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador, 1999 Honda VFR800, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, 2010 Kawasaki ninja 250 (sold)

I just sold my 2010 Ninja 250 on C.L. and what gets me.....I had it listed for $2600.00......people call up, haven't even seen it and offer me $2000.00 "right now". I don't make deals on the phone. Finally a guy comes by last Thursday, looks, offers me $2400.00, and I took it. But, no way I'm going down $600.00 on the PHONE. That being said, I have bought my last 3 bikes off C.L. and got a heck of a deal on them all. It's worth all the "lurking".

1999 Honda VFR800, 19,000 miles, not a scratch........$1500.00

1970 Moto Guzzi V750 Ambassator, 13,000 original miles.........$2000.00

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 22.000 miles.........$900.00!!!!! + 2 nearly new helmets and a size small mesh jacket thrown in.

Pays to look several times a day
mikromo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #26
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Quote:
No really. I literally need someone up North to find bikes and help me get them down here. I've got tons of money sitting in a bank account and nothing to spend it on.
Watch cl in Rochester and middle town areas . I can help you out . Make the trip like once a month

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #27
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikromo View Post
I just sold my 2010 Ninja 250 on C.L. and what gets me.....I had it listed for $2600.00......people call up, haven't even seen it and offer me $2000.00 "right now". I don't make deals on the phone. Finally a guy comes by last Thursday, looks, offers me $2400.00, and I took it. But, no way I'm going down $600.00 on the PHONE. That being said, I have bought my last 3 bikes off C.L. and got a heck of a deal on them all. It's worth all the "lurking".

1999 Honda VFR800, 19,000 miles, not a scratch........$1500.00

1970 Moto Guzzi V750 Ambassator, 13,000 original miles.........$2000.00

2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250, 22.000 miles.........$900.00!!!!! + 2 nearly new helmets and a size small mesh jacket thrown in.

Pays to look several times a day

I have listed several bikes. My favorite was a yz250 I posted. This thing was a POS. I had it listed for $1200. So several people ask me through text what's the lowest I'll take. So I said like $800 or something. I finally got tired of people asking so I started raising the price. People freaked on that one "what do you mean? I haven't even seen it!?!?" Exactly... moron...

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:57 AM   #28
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

I did recently have a good CL experience.

I found some wheels for my car. He told me what he wanted for them. I said ok. He happened to be in the area with them so he dropped them off. I inspected them. They looked as described so I gave him the money and he left.

Exciting story, I know.

Old July 8th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #29
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
I wanted to pick up some KTM dual sport a while back. The picture he had listed wasn't even his bike...he refused my offers, because the bike was rare

I didn't know a rusty pos could be rare. Must have been gold or platiunum plated....

Old July 8th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #30
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
I looked at one GSX-R and it was missing a front caliper and rotor. The guy said it was to save weight in the twisties and all of the fast guys do it.
LOL - uh huh.

Old July 8th, 2014, 11:38 AM   #31
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Don't look at my ads then. I posted my kids YZ80 and my virago.

Listed everything wrong with it...I think, longer list of bad than good .lol

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 11:39 AM   #32
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
I looked at one GSX-R and it was missing a front caliper and rotor. The guy said it was to save weight in the twisties and all of the fast guys do it.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 11:42 AM   #33
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I mean to be fair, without a front brake, you WOULD be fast. You wouldn't have the option of braking and every turn would have to be taken hot.

Solid logic.

Old July 8th, 2014, 11:51 AM   #34
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
Don't look at my ads then. I posted my kids YZ80 and my virago.

Listed everything wrong with it...I think, longer list of bad than good .lol
Haha actually I was looking at the little dirt bike. Me wants it

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:13 PM   #35
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
Haha actually I was looking at the little dirt bike. Me wants it
I just wish I knew how to make it run, it would be ok if it ran,even though he's a bit tall for it.
I've ridden it when it's running well, and it's a blast.
I can typically fix anything, this is the 3rd 2 stroke I've had, and I have sold them all. Typically the next guy gets it going! Grrr

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #36
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
LOL - uh huh.
What? You haven't seen all the latest MotoGP bikes with the single front calipers and no rear brakes!?!

All the fast guys do it.
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 02:35 PM   #37
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
I thought a reason some people upgrade to a 600 or 1000 is because they have more braking power due to having two calipers/rotors...

I guess @rojoracing53 has no idea what he's doing with his two calipers/rotors on his ninjette. Noob.

Old July 8th, 2014, 02:36 PM   #38
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Sure, there's a lot of hammered bikes out there, but you don't have to buy them.
I'm a certified "bottom feeder" and I never buy new bikes, I just know exactly what I'm looking for and am willing to wait until the right bike comes along. The hunt is my favorite part of the purchase for me, if it takes looking at a hundred bikes, so be it. It took a year to find a clean 250, but it was worth the wait as I found my 5k mi. $1200 keeper.
I paid asking price for this one, as I didn't want to insult the guy trying to save a little dough.

Desmoluci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #39
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Sounds like a bunch of winners.

I haven't really gone to look at any used for sale streetbikes but just reading the posts and looking at the pictures is enough to deter me.

My fav though was when I was looking at a bike some guy had for sale on craigslist I was interested in. It was older so I didn't expect it to be pristine or anything. In the pictures I noticed a weblink sticker to some motorcycle forum. So I got on the forum and did some searches and I was able to find the owner of the bike and several stories about the bike, involving multiple crashes, abusing it at the track, redneck engineering ect...

I asked the guy some general questions through craigslist like, Ever been down, you ever track it? and what not, and sure enough the answer to every one was Nope, babied this bike, never even really rode it

I sent him back message, "oh so you are not the same (username from forum) with the same bike that has done (list of crap the guy talked about on the forum)?"

he didn't respond
You just made my day
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #40
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmoluci View Post

glad you took the one caliper/rotor route.