ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old November 2nd, 2015, 09:21 AM   #1
Daniel Elfert
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Daniel

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250 Track Build

Jennings GP respectable lap times?

Hey all, I apologize if this has been posted before, but I am wondering...

What is the general Jennings GP lap time that WERA E SS Novice guys are running? Or what would be a decent base time?

I went out again this past weekend and yesterday I managed to get down to 1:45 or so, but I couldn't go any faster. My averages were around 1.48.

I'm going as fast as possible on the straights, 6th gear fully tucked just barely making 100 mph, and I'm going pretty quick through corners, most wide open.

Is this a decent lap time for a pre gen 250? If not, where do y'all make up for the lack of straightaway speed?

Also, it's a 2005 Ninja 250.

Thanks!

-Daniel
Daniel Elfert is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2015, 09:25 AM   #2
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

this was your second trip to Jennings ever?
45's are respectable. Theres still time to be made in the corners, and on the side of the tires. Less brake, more gas sooner.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2015, 09:29 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hi Daniel!

Sprint race times at Jennings are in the low 1:30's. A couple of the really, really fast guys can see high 1:29's. I would expect to see mid-30's from the novice racer group.

I have no special tricks to Jennings, the 250 line is much tighter than the 600 line, the turn in points are different but the main thing is to carry as much speed as possible. For example at race pace on a 250, once you crack the throttle in turn 1, you won't touch the brakes until turn 5.

If your pregen still has the stock 16in wheels, you will be at a slight tire disadvantage but Jennings has some crazy grip, so maybe that is not so much of an issue there.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2015, 09:43 AM   #4
Daniel Elfert
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
this was your second trip to Jennings ever?
45's are respectable. Theres still time to be made in the corners, and on the side of the tires. Less brake, more gas sooner.
I've been there 3 weekends before but that was years ago when I was 15 and 16 years old, was kinda nervous to go fast because to this day I still have never ridden on the street outside my neighborhood.

Also I did a few modifications to my bike with suspension and getting rid of the K630s. I could definitely improve in the corners with confidence, especially turn one and 13 off and on the front straight.

Thanks guys, really appreciate it!

Old November 2nd, 2015, 09:45 AM   #5
Daniel Elfert
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Hi Daniel!

Sprint race times at Jennings are in the low 1:30's. A couple of the really, really fast guys can see high 1:29's. I would expect to see mid-30's from the novice racer group.

I have no special tricks to Jennings, the 250 line is much tighter than the 600 line, the turn in points are different but the main thing is to carry as much speed as possible. For example at race pace on a 250, once you crack the throttle in turn 1, you won't touch the brakes until turn 5.

If your pregen still has the stock 16in wheels, you will be at a slight tire disadvantage but Jennings has some crazy grip, so maybe that is not so much of an issue there.

Yeah I can see what you're saying too on the line being tighter and the throttle. I'm all the way open halfway through 1 and Im open all the way till 3, and I let off slightly.

I could probably gain a little bit of time there too :-)

Old November 2nd, 2015, 02:52 PM   #6
Floki
Motorcycle Nurse?

Name: Jacques

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R, 1998 Ducati 748L #77/100

Do you have a race license? I'm going to the endurance races 11/20-22 at jennings and I live 15 minutes north of slidell. I'll gladly load your bike up and drive us out there to ride and race! I work at friendly powersports on weekends if you ever need anything for your bike. I'll help out a fellow ninjette member for sure!
Floki is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 2nd, 2015, 03:01 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Here I will give you a couple of line tips;

Turn 8, you can take it hotter than you think. Stop trying to go faster when the front starts "digging down". 8 is one of those corners where you will 100% for sure brake all the way to apex.
Turn 10 is WOT from 9's exit, your eyes will tell you to slow down, but she will hold.
11 is just a slight roll off to set entry speed, the front will dig down here too but ride it out.
LOL at braking for 12 and 2!!!!
13 is the tricky corner, mess it up and 14 is foobared... if 14 is foobared, front straight drive is lost and you will get drafted near the start/finish.

Of course, I ride a new gen with a rosso II rear and SC1 front. Please be careful with those tips as your tires may not support such things. Feel out practice and be honest with yourself before blindly trying anything that I have commented.

No more tips, because I might be there racin'. lol

If I see you down there, feel free to stop by my paddock spot for a chat and a drink. You will recognize the red #511, AFJ, Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut, DP Brakes, Motul, Tampax bike! hahahahahhahaha

Last futzed with by csmith12; November 2nd, 2015 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spelling
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2015, 04:02 PM   #8
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

if you can't make the race weekend. I'd recommend this coming weekend.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2015, 08:36 PM   #9
Daniel Elfert
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floki View Post
Do you have a race license? I'm going to the endurance races 11/20-22 at jennings and I live 15 minutes north of slidell. I'll gladly load your bike up and drive us out there to ride and race! I work at friendly powersports on weekends if you ever need anything for your bike. I'll help out a fellow ninjette member for sure!
I've been to friendly powersports on old Spanish trail plenty of times actually! And no I don't have a race license yet but I'm looking to get one at some point when I can attend Ed Bargys school. Thanks a ton though man! I'll remember who you are for future events

Old November 2nd, 2015, 08:38 PM   #10
Daniel Elfert
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Here I will give you a couple of line tips;

Turn 8, you can take it hotter than you think. Stop trying to go faster when the front starts "digging down". 8 is one of those corners where you will 100% for sure brake all the way to apex.
Turn 10 is WOT from 9's exit, your eyes will tell you to slow down, but she will hold.
11 is just a slight roll off to set entry speed, the front will dig down here too but ride it out.
LOL at braking for 12 and 2!!!!
13 is the tricky corner, mess it up and 14 is foobared... if 14 is foobared, front straight drive is lost and you will get drafted near the start/finish.

Of course, I ride a new gen with a rosso II rear and SC1 front. Please be careful with those tips as your tires may not support such things. Feel out practice and be honest with yourself before blindly trying anything that I have commented.

No more tips, because I might be there racin'. lol

If I see you down there, feel free to stop by my paddock spot for a chat and a drink. You will recognize the red #511, AFJ, Taco Bell, KFC, Pizza Hut, DP Brakes, Motul, Tampax bike! hahahahahhahaha
Yeah I've been following that to think of it. I'd hug the rumble strips at 7 and late apex into 8 to have more speed. Corner 2 and 12 aren't even corners as far as throttle goes in my book as well! Haha

Old November 6th, 2015, 08:31 PM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
edit: wrong thread :lmao: