ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 1st, 2016, 08:57 PM   #1
gA_Collector
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2006 ninja 250

Best all around tires for a 2006

It is time to replace the tires on my 2006 Ninja 250. It has about 6,000 miles and still has the original Dunlop K630 tires.

The specs are: 100/80-16M/C 50S Front and 130/80-16M/C 64S

What are the best all around replacement tires? As I understand it, the stock tires are not very good. Price is definitely a consideration for me. Where should I order them from? Who has the best prices? I really need someone to lead me by the hand here since I do not know much about motorcycle tires. I have never bought a set of tires.
gA_Collector is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:14 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Robert!

Try here first. http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_ti...l-around_tires

I am sure one of our active pregen riders will pop in soon. With current market options and availability.

Good luck!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:16 PM   #3
gA_Collector
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome Robert!

Try here first. http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_ti...l-around_tires

I am sure one of our active pregen riders will pop in soon. With current market options and availability.

Good luck!

Quite frankly the wiki didn't help. I need a little more hand holding than it provided.

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:54 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Welcome, Robert !!!

Please, define "all around", according to your typical riding and use of the bike.

For street use and daily commute, I have used and loved the Kenda tires mentioned in the above link.

Similar for the Avon tires: those have showed me spectacular grip in rainy conditions.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:59 PM   #5
gA_Collector
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome, Robert !!!

Please, define "all around", according to your typical riding and use of the bike.

For street use and daily commute, I have used and loved the Kenda tires mentioned in the above link.

Similar for the Avon tires: those have showed me spectacular grip in rainy conditions.
I ride mostly urban street use. Which is the better tire? Do they fit the 2006 ninja 250? Where would I buy them? I'm pretty price sensitive.

Do you have links to the tires? I do need a little more help here.

Old February 1st, 2016, 10:02 PM   #6
Sarge1992
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

Personally I have the Pirelli Diablo Scooter tires on my 2000, and they are holding up great. I have 1000 miles on them and they don't seem to be wearing at all, but are super sticky to the road. Even had a short trip offroad (don't ask) and went through dirt and sand easily, though I don't suggest using these for offroad use.

If it helps I'm 6' 185lbs, and tend to be a "spirited" rider on winding roads, never once felt uneasy with the traction.
Sarge1992 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 1st, 2016, 10:06 PM   #7
Sarge1992
ninjette.org member

Pirelli Diablo Scooter tires, shop around, I got mine from 2 different sites for a total of about $135.

Front tire
http://www.amazon.com/Pirelli-Diablo.../dp/B000I6OFES
Rear tire
http://www.amazon.com/Pirelli-DIABLO.../dp/B014MRVKBE

Old February 2nd, 2016, 06:50 AM   #8
Suki2003
Ninjette Lurker

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja EX250 (Cafe, Naked, Wreckurrected)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1992 View Post
Pirelli Diablo Scooter tires, shop around, I got mine from 2 different sites for a total of about $135.

Front tire
http://www.amazon.com/Pirelli-Diablo.../dp/B000I6OFES
Rear tire
http://www.amazon.com/Pirelli-DIABLO.../dp/B014MRVKBE

wow that's a GOOD PRICE!! worth reading this tread, that's way cheaper the the Sport Demons. Yeah, to the OP, these looks like a best buy for your needs
Suki2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:24 AM   #9
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

I couldn't tell you what the best is, because the only tires I ran on the ninja is the mt-75's, and the stockers, but I do have experience as to what a good, bad, and imbewteen tires feel like on different bikes The MT75's are great on dry pavement, however, on wet surfaces, they leave a little to be desired. I'm not saying they are bad, but there is an above average loss in traction. I would recommend them, and they are fairly cheap.

Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:58 AM   #10
gA_Collector
ninjette.org newbie

These tires linked above (Pirelli Diablo Scooter) are designed for scooters, correct?

How do they change the handling characteristic of the motorcycle?

Old February 2nd, 2016, 09:12 AM   #11
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gA_Collector View Post
These tires linked above (Pirelli Diablo Scooter) are designed for scooters, correct?

How do they change the handling characteristic of the motorcycle?
Almost all the tires you will find for the ninja are designed for scooters, unless you do the newgen rim swap.

Old February 2nd, 2016, 02:49 PM   #12
RickM
ninjette.org member

Name: Ricky

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250

The Pirelli Diablo scooter or MT75 is a good tire for the $$. but kinda short life.

Another tire I like is Sport Demon. Reasonable tread life and good grip.
RickM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2016, 03:02 PM   #13
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

I have a set of MT-75s and Diablo Scooters on my two 250s and I prefer the Diablo Scooters. Great tire.
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:05 PM   #14
Sarge1992
ninjette.org member

The Pirelli Diablo Scooter tires are designed for scooters, but the 250 is probably one of the lightest bikes around. I've only ever had the OE Dunlops and the Pirellis are on there now, and I feel 100x safer with the Pirelli scooter tires.

Basically, if I'm not mistaken, the scooter tires are meant for lighter things, like a scooter. The ninja 250 is about the same weight, probably a bit heavier than your average scooter. The stock Dunlops are meant for heavier bikes, and take longer to warm up. Cold tires make for bad grip. The Pirelli scooter warm up pretty quick, and have great wet/dry traction. Been caught in the rain twice (lovely predictable Florida weather) and they performed better than expected.

Again, only thing I can compare them to were the stock Dunlops that came on it, but I would have no problems putting a 2nd set of these on when the time comes for it. I have 1000 miles on them and they show no signs of wearing down. If you're a new rider I'd suggest choosing a tire for its better grip instead of tread life anyways.

Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:55 PM   #15
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
here's a copy and paste from an earlier post I made on tires:

We have 5 Ninjettes in the family and they all have different tires and I've ridden all of them on the street and 4 on the track. First let me say that they all have a different "feel" when riding, none have a bad feeling (like the stock Dunlops) just different.

Bike one has Metzeler Laser Tec 100-90 on front 130-90 on rear, this is my personal favorite on the track or the street, very stable on the straights or the corners, turns in quickly and holds it's line. It seems that the tread doesn't wrap around as far as the others as it has no "chicken strips" left on front or rear, or maybe I push harder on them because they feel good to me.

Bike two has Shinko SR740 100-80 on front and SR741 130-80 on the rear, contrary to "wiki; Shinko tires: No better than the Dunlop K630" these are a surprise!! they are good enough to take the stock forks to their limit, you can drag footpegs all day long with them, stoppies, no problem! Turn in is quicker than the Metzelers, and they feel a little bit "twitchy", but never scared me. One of the racers on a 300 was amazed when he came to our pit and saw it has Shinkos.

Bike three has Pirelli MT75s 100-80 front and 120-80 rear, turn in is quick like the Shinkos, and are a little twitchy, but no unhappy surprises. Shorter rear tire lets the pegs drag sooner than the others.

Bike four has Pirelli Sport Demon 110-90 front and 130-90 rear, turn in is a little heavier than the others but no where near as heavy as a 600 or 1000. Is stable everywhere and taller front tire gives extra cornering clearance, feels to me like it wants to stand up in the corners. Had to move the front fender up to clear the tire.

Bike five has the Pirelli Diablo Scooter tires, 100-80 front and 130-80 rear, I haven't ridden on the track with this bike, but on the street it's the only one that I've had the rear "step out" on the 1-2 shift. Might be it just needs a little more heat in it to grip good.

None of the bikes have enough miles to say which one will last the longest, the Metzeler is, by quite a bit, the most expensive of the bunch, and if past experience means anything, the rear will last around 7000 miles and the front about double that.
Z1R rider is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 01:17 PM   #16
PFP
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki 250R

Z1R rider, I have the Shinkos on my bike and agree with your assessments on their handling. The Metzler Laser Tecs you mention look like they would be better in the rain and varied environments, like say a fire road. Any experiences? The Shinkos are super slippery on anything other than asphalt.
PFP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2016, 07:09 PM   #17
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
I've done an occasional off track dirt sampling with them....if your not close to vertical and off the brakes you'll most likely go down. I've ridden on gravel roads, even knobbies slide around on those little marbles. I'd think if you plan on riding fire trails there are better bikes for that job, no matter the tire you put on the Ninja, but, to answer your question none of the tires I listed will do good in the dirt, you might stand a chance with a semi knobby (dual purpose) tire. Let me know how it works out....I've been watching for a cheap dirt bike!
Z1R rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2016, 08:24 PM   #18
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
My 2˘

If your mostly commuting then the Kenda K671s are the way to go, excellent price, excellent wet weather performance, and good performance, and a high mileage tire. Price for a set about $140.00 USD

If your planning a bit more spirited riding then it's the Bridgestone BT45s, decent price, excellent wet and dry weather performance, and a decent mileage tire. Price for a set about $250.00 USD.

Both are available for the PreGen, I have run both of these tires on my 91 EX500 and 98 Ninjette the size I run it 100/90/16, & 130/90/16.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 08:29 PM   #19
PFP
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki 250R

Well I'm not planning on hauling butt offroad on a Ninja anytime soon. Sometimes when I go camping or visit friends in more rural areas I have run into roads that are more like a fire road than paved roads. Looking at the tread pattern of the Shinkos, the pattern of the Metzlers look more intricate.
PFP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2016, 06:57 AM   #20
UFOmoplata
ninjette.org member

Name: Shoulder Blade

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Hoodrat 250

Has anyone tried Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Front 110/70-17?

Old February 4th, 2016, 07:36 AM   #21
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1R rider View Post
I've done an occasional off track dirt sampling with them....if your not close to vertical and off the brakes you'll most likely go down. I've ridden on gravel roads, even knobbies slide around on those little marbles. I'd think if you plan on riding fire trails there are better bikes for that job, no matter the tire you put on the Ninja, but, to answer your question none of the tires I listed will do good in the dirt, you might stand a chance with a semi knobby (dual purpose) tire. Let me know how it works out....I've been watching for a cheap dirt bike!
I was going to reply about how I go up my friends super steep gravel driveway with no problem, and how I go offroad and do tricks like bringing the bike sideways with a twist of the throttle, but then I realized, the reason I could do that had nothing to do with the bike, it was just the amount of experience I have offroad.

Old February 4th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #22
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFOmoplata View Post
Has anyone tried Pirelli Diablo Rosso II Front 110/70-17?
Try posting in the NewGen section

PreGen rolls on 16" yo'

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2016, 09:25 AM   #23
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
My vote is the Bridgestone bt45 as the best all around tire for the bike, I've always liked more spirited riding and I trust these to handle that. The shinkos are surprisingly good as well for the cost. My favorite tire for the pregen has to be the pirelli option, the sport demons gave me a lot of confidence even at the track. Though all of these tires are vastly inferior to their 17" wheel counterparys they get the job done well enough

Old February 4th, 2016, 09:25 AM   #24
UFOmoplata
ninjette.org member

Name: Shoulder Blade

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Hoodrat 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post

PreGen rolls on 16" yo'
Not all ricers say "y0", yo.

Old February 4th, 2016, 10:55 AM   #25
HoneyBadgerRy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post

PreGen rolls on 16" yo'
Not all of them. I plan on eventually doing the 17" conversion. (I probably won't though.)

Old February 5th, 2016, 03:11 PM   #26
Kestrel
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): DR350, Ninja 250

I'll second the K671. I installed some on my commuter 250, and they're fine. Adequate grip to nearly drag knee if you're smooth, and very, very good mileage... Most people get at least 10k miles per set. Price is amongst the cheapest you'll get.

If all you're doing is riding around in an urban environment, they're your best bet.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2016, 06:27 PM   #27
j98sprint
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): '02 Ninja 250, '98 Triumph Sprint 900, '69 H-D Sportster XLCH 900

K-671

Another vote for the Kenda. Just replaced the rear tire yesterday. Got 15,500 miles out of the last one. Cheap, good grip wet or dry and looks good.

I commute 75 miles a day on I-95 between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami.
j98sprint is offline   Reply With Quote