ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old May 27th, 2016, 02:27 PM   #1
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Getting it to the track...

Hey you guys, so I'm attending my first ever track day next month at Summit Point and have been wondering about the different ways you guys actually get yourselves and your rides to the track? Do you get there a day early or ride/drive up the same day? I assume most of you truck/trailer the bike but would it be crazy to ride up to your very first track day?

Old May 27th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
The only time it is acceptable to ride to the track is if you have blan b already worked out ahead of time and you have confirmed that the gate hours are within the worst case on the clock. Most of the time is this not the case and you will want to hitch a ride with someone or rent a uhaul for $26 a day or for around $50-60 a day you can rent a truck.

I arrive the night before to get a decent night's sleep before riding.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2016, 03:24 PM   #3
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
The only time it is acceptable to ride to the track is if you have blan b already worked out ahead of time and you have confirmed that the gate hours are within the worst case on the clock. Most of the time is this not the case and you will want to hitch a ride with someone or rent a uhaul for $26 a day or for around $50-60 a day you can rent a truck.

I arrive the night before to get a decent night's sleep before riding.
Yeah you're right, riding to the track is just flirting with disaster. I never considered uhaul though, I always assumed they'd have an age requirement of 25, similar to most car rentals.

As far as hitching a ride or carpooling, do you know of any websites or boards that I should be searching? I'd happily pay my own way.

Old May 27th, 2016, 03:35 PM   #4
Macharity
ninjette.org member

Also I've been thinking about buying an old work van and building a stand for the bike into one side and some kind of sleep arrangement into the other side. Know anyone who's ever made that work?

I'd love to see/hear some of the creations you guys have come up with!

Old May 27th, 2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Mechanikrazy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Thruxton R, R6 450 triple, EX300 (sold)

I use Zipvan for Summit Point. It is cheaper than Uhaul, because Uhaul charges per mile. Zipvan is 148 including tolls. Just buy a set of ramps and keep them in your place.

My procedure:
930pm to 930pm one day rental.
Load up the Zipvan the night before. Throw a cover over the bike in the van.
Wake up in the morning and just hit the road.
Track day
Drive home and unload.

You can try asking around the various trackdays provider forums. But most of them do not like driving into the city.

Unfortunately, the rest of my year is farther away tracks due to schedule and I already have people hitching rides with me. But give the forums a shot and see what happens. TPM has a Facebook group.
Mechanikrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2016, 05:47 PM   #6
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macharity View Post
Also I've been thinking about buying an old work van and building a stand for the bike into one side and some kind of sleep arrangement into the other side. Know anyone who's ever made that work?

I'd love to see/hear some of the creations you guys have come up with!
I literally just bought a Sprinter 2500. Tons of people have "made that work". Pick a model, open google, and you'll find more examples than you could possibly picture. Hell, Cycle World is currently sponsoring a racer and articles series titled "Man in a Van with a Plan." Oddly enough, the only van thread I found on this forum started with the phrase "rape van" and got worse from there.

But anyway, to answer your question: I've been using my pickup thus far. I've left the morning of for nearby tracks, but arriving the night before and sleeping is definitely preferable if your setup accommodates it.

Old May 27th, 2016, 05:51 PM   #7
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Random example from my bookmarks. A Ford Transit in this case. Not track specific, but the point is similar.

Old May 27th, 2016, 06:00 PM   #8
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Oh, @csmith12 - I think I recall you mentioning having pit bull trailer restraints for the ninjette. Any chance you could upload a picture of those and their attachment to the solid axle'd little bike?

Old May 27th, 2016, 09:18 PM   #9
Fishbine
ninjette.org member

Name: Norm

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250 track bike, '06 Goldwing, '81 HD FXB

I'm not csmith12 but I just got the pitbull at the beginning of the season. It's awesome, love it!

Old May 28th, 2016, 08:15 AM   #10
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Thanks Fishbine!

The statement that had me wondering is below. I searched by post, didn't read the entire thread it appears in:
Quote:
... Since the rear axle is not hollow like other bikes, you take the axle bolt out and put a cup on it and reinstall. While this works very well to secure the bike during transport, it really sucks to have to take back off before riding. I take it off because, unlike everything else pitbull makes, this little cup thing is easily damaged and will act as a slider in the event of a down. Once damaged, it will make it questionable to secure to the trailer.

For the 250 and other non hollow axle bikes, I wish they would design something that clamps to the swingarm or spools instead. Because taking the wheel off as part of the unload process totally sucks.

Old May 28th, 2016, 08:22 AM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
The van setup is rad, I'll be running that in a few years except with space for 2 bikes so I can bring friends

I love the hayden gillum series that cycle world is doing

Old May 28th, 2016, 08:38 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Thanks for picking up my slack Norm, nice setup you got there.

@toEleven - here are a few pics of the pins and the axle cup that you need to put on the bike to make the pit bull restraint work.

Mild damage to the restraint cup from the bike going down

As you can see, one pin goes over the axle nut and the other pin slides in the cup that is installed like a washer on your rear axle bolt itself. Unlike everything else pitbull makes, this little cup can be damaged pretty easy if left on the bike and it goes down as it will act as a slider. The spool will help protect it somewhat but I prefer to remove it to make sure I can properly transport the bike. And... for a little part, the darn thing is expensive for what it is. :\

Old May 28th, 2016, 09:17 AM   #13
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
The van setup is rad, I'll be running that in a few years except with space for 2 bikes so I can bring friends
2 is easy peasy with TRS
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2016, 09:20 AM   #14
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I'm pretty confident 2 could be done with tie downs too, though it would make things a bit messier

Old May 28th, 2016, 09:21 AM   #15
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I'm pretty confident 2 could be done with tie downs too, though it would make things a bit messier
sometimes spending more, makes your life easier, grasshopper

How about 4?

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 28th, 2016, 09:30 AM   #16
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I spend what I can, I see it as a process. I invest in things as I need them

a perfect example of spending more to make your life easier is the investment of captive spacers

Also 4 bikes. Only worth it if I can fit 4 people but definitely worth it with 3 buddies

Old May 28th, 2016, 09:33 AM   #17
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I spend what I can, I see it as a process. I invest in things as I need them

a perfect example of spending more to make your life easier is the investment of captive spacers

Also 4 bikes. Only worth it if I can fit 4 people but definitely worth it with 3 buddies
Remember, i'm loading and hauling for 2 all of the time. 4 bikes is just 2 each.
No one ever realizes how much a TRS Is worth untill they use one.

Old May 28th, 2016, 12:05 PM   #18
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Thank you everyone for the pictures and comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwDang View Post
Remember, i'm loading and hauling for 2 all of the time. 4 bikes is just 2 each.
No one ever realizes how much a TRS Is worth untill they use one.
I think I'm at the point where fondling one in person would really establish which COAs are still on the table. It looks like a great system, but it also looks like the Ninjette loses out on the ease of use factor. I'm less confident that TRS beats the price and flexibility of e track and something like the Tyre Down system someone on this forum mentioned.

If I reach the point that I need to bring 4 bikes, towing a trailer behind the van might be a better use of my space.

Old May 31st, 2016, 11:29 AM   #19
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
Van anecdote from advrider.com forums (link to post)
Quote:
I have an 08 2500 144, cargo. I have the cargo tracks both on the o/s roof & inside floor. Removed the steel partition just behind the seats. This is a real hauler & most of my driving is on the interstates pulling a single or double axle bike/car hauler.

I have transported 3 DS bikes inside, one on the rear hitch & another bike on the front. Had to make my own 2" receiver & weld it to the very strong frame under the motor. Carrying 5 DS bikes was not as much fun as I originally thought.
For those unfamiliar, this is the regular sized Sprinter. It fits in standard parking spots.

Old May 31st, 2016, 12:18 PM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
That van makes me drool. Can't justify it for doing 5-6 events a year, though.

If you're just going to try the track one time (yeah, right) carpool is the best option because it costs nothing and you get to make a friend.

Second is u-haul, but remember you'll need the trailer for 3 days, not just one. At $15 a day that's not a big deal.

If you'll be doing track days regularly (you will), the cheapest option is the Harbor Freight folding trailer. Under $300, and you'll need a sheet of plywood to finish it, plus a chock and a ramp. All up, you can do it for $500-600 depending, or less if you buy used (I did). The HF trailer is so cheap that buying used doesn't really save you much, but it does mean that some other guy had the pleasure of assembling the damned thing.

I drive a tiny car -- a Honda Fit -- and it tows the trailer and one bike with no problem and gets 30+ mpg while doing it. Not sure if that rig could handle two bikes... I'll bet it could if I had to. The trailer can handle the weight for sure.

Just recently I repositioned the chock to get the bike's CG closer to the axle. Much better now... the car rides more level.

Bonus is that the HF trailer folds and will fit in the back of your garage.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2016, 12:31 PM   #21
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
@adouglas: does that trailer have 8" or 12" wheels?
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2016, 12:37 PM   #22
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
@adouglas: does that trailer have 8" or 12" wheels?
12".

http://www.harborfreight.com/1195-lb...ler-62648.html

They run coupons on these things all the time. Prices bounce up and down, so be patient.

This photo is before I moved the chock and also before I got a hitch drawbar with more rise... the trailer is too heavy at the front but I did a half-dozen trips this way with no issues.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2016, 12:41 PM   #23
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15

Big difference in safety & durability with the 12" wheels at highway speeds! I'll keep an eye out for when theirs a deal!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over

Old May 31st, 2016, 12:45 PM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post

Big difference in safety & durability with the 12" wheels at highway speeds! I'll keep an eye out for when theirs a deal!
You just missed the sale that ended yesterday. $249 + you could use a super coupon for an extra 40% off that.

Old May 31st, 2016, 12:49 PM   #25
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
You just missed the sale that ended yesterday. $249 + you could use a super coupon for an extra 40% off that.
Story of my life!
Why pay wholesale when you can pay regular retail?!?

Old May 31st, 2016, 01:15 PM   #26
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I have 2 of the Harbor Freight motorcycle wheel chocks I can bolt into my utility trailer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-69026.html

They make it easy to haul 2 bikes.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2016, 05:25 PM   #27
toEleven
Slower than you.

MOTM - May '16
I think I spotted this while looking for TRS info. Nicely prepped Harbor Freight (i think?) trailer. There's a build thread on another forum I think:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knolly View Post

I've got an open trailer that I built and customized to carry as much crap as possible. Tows like it's barely even there behind a dinky little hatchback and I still get over 30 mpg.