ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 12th, 2011, 10:28 AM   #1
jezebel
ninjette.org member

Name: Canada

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

In the spirit of lively debate

I have a ninja 250, 2008, CPB. I made a website about all the work I've done/am doing on her, as I have no intention of "upgrading" - I'm a small girl, so that little nimble bike suits me just fine.

Some genius, on my post listing all the mods I want to do, wrote one of the most ridiculous and petulant replies I've ever read.

I thought those of you here in the farkle/mod section might enjoy reading it:

http://ridingjezebel.com/2011/06/27/...ke-to-do-list/

I don't plan on replying to him because, quite frankly, I don't think it's worth discussing - that, and the second he told me what I 'should' and 'shouldnt' be doing, that I should 'learn american' and that he rides in a hoodie made me think that it would be a waste of intellectual output to engage.

Anyways - enjoy peoples. Unless of course you agree with him. In which case.. meh.
jezebel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #2
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Wow, he's very opinionated on what you should or should not do to your bike (mostly wrong opinions too...IMO). I personally think modding is fun and I do it to make the bike mine, not to add any value to it. I also don't plan on ever selling the 250 since it's paid off, cheap to insure, and tons of fun. I do rotate my other bike though just to get a feel of every manufacturer.

Let me know if you ever get integrated headlights though since I'm also interested in doing that. I do have every other mod except a colored chain
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Azhyen
ninjette.org Pirate

Name: Seph

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I dont' think Joshua is in the same mindset as you or most of us are with the 250's. It seems more like he treated it as a learners bike and then dumped it, which is fine. It also explains why he says you "shouldn't" do most of the mods on your list. That's just his opinion.

I frankly am tired of how America refuses to go metric, This would solve so many conversion issues. Plus he adds "just my 4 pence" what's that in "American" haha. What a walking contradiction.

Do what you want to do. It's your bike. People will always have differing opinons, but no one can force you into anything you don't want to do.

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I don't think his "American" comment was meant to be mean or condescending, he just meant that in his opinion, it's not worth going to the trouble to change out the dash just to make sure the markings swapped, if they are there already (just smaller). It was an awful lot of typing that could have been summed up with "neat bike, lot of farkles planned, but I probably wouldn't go to the trouble on my bike".

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:23 AM   #5
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

IMO that is just someone who is bored at work with way to much of an opinion on someone else bike. Personally i would not do all the farkles only due to the fact im going to be upgrading shortly. As you said in the begining of the thread -"I have no intention of "upgrading" - I'm a small girl, so that little nimble bike suits me just fine."- If this was my situation i would make the bike as custom and personal as possible, as most people do with a bike they intend on keeping for awhile. IMO the bike will look amazing in the end and keep on doing everything u plan on doing to her.

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #6
jezebel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Let me know if you ever get integrated headlights though since I'm also interested in doing that. I do have every other mod except a colored chain
OOh, you've done all the others on my list? *we are not worthy!*. Can I pick your brain sometime on some of them? Working out the headlights, but the next things to happen next weekend will be the mirror/turnsignals, the rim tape, the new levers, and the DIY windscreen.

Did a DIY fender chop last weekend that I'm writing a how-to post on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhyen
I frankly am tired of how America refuses to go metric, This would solve so many conversion issues. Plus he adds "just my 4 pence" what's that in "American" haha. What a walking contradiction.
Lol, I didn't even notice that - heh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex
It was an awful lot of typing that could have been summed up with "neat bike, lot of farkles planned, but I probably wouldn't go to the trouble on my bike".
I agree - that's what kind of surprised me - that was a heck of a lot of trouble to disagree with a stranger about something that in no way affects you. Sure must be nice having that much spare time :P
I'm sure he wasn't condescending, but he clearly didn't understand that if I'm in Canada, and we use metric, I want to read my bike in metric - and to me its not a 'trouble' as he sees it to modify that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeddeamon
If this was my situation i would make the bike as custom and personal as possible, as most people do with a bike they intend on keeping for awhile. IMO the bike will look amazing in the end and keep on doing everything u plan on doing to her.
I agree - if I was looking to move to a different bike, fine, maybe don't invest in it - but my beef was more him telling me what I should and shouldn't do.

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:36 AM   #7
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebel View Post
I agree - if I was looking to move to a different bike, fine, maybe don't invest in it - but my beef was more him telling me what I should and shouldn't do.
Dont listen to anyone unless they are giving u valid info that is useful. I have noticed with people like that who like to talk alot also give u wrong info sometimes becuz they end up talking over their heads. Best advice i can give is build YOUR dream bike and dont let people try and tell you to go another way you know what u want out of YOUR bike

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:40 AM   #8
Cuongism

Yea, always willing to help fellow ninjetters out. What levers were you planning on? I went the eBay route from the2wheels and like them so far. Certain colors have faded for other members, but functionally they work well for adjustable levers. They're $25 for a pair or $55 for folding. You do may have to wait since they ship from Hong Kong (3 weeks for my first order, 1 week for my second order).

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ight=The2wheel

For the windshield, I used Krylon Fusion which works well on plastics.

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #9
jezebel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Yea, always willing to help fellow ninjetters out. What levers were you planning on? I went the eBay route from the2wheels and like them so far. Certain colors have faded for other members, but functionally they work well for adjustable levers. They're $25 for a pair or $55 for folding. You do may have to wait since they ship from Hong Kong (3 weeks for my first order, 1 week for my second order).

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...ight=The2wheel

For the windshield, I used Krylon Fusion which works well on plastics.
Yup, I did 2wheels as well, they've already arrived. Blue with black - standard length.

The windshield - i tried some black krylon and it was matte - some people have done the windscreen with some sort of spray that makes it just black tinted (so you can still see through it), trying to figure out what they used there.

What exhaust did you go with? Did you buy a heatshield? I have the 2bros, and I just think it would look less 'stumpy' with a heatshield, and I wouldn't worry about melting my boots off - but the stock one doesn't match!

Did you do the flushmounts and mirror/signals?

Old July 12th, 2011, 11:58 AM   #10
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebel View Post
The windshield - i tried some black krylon and it was matte - some people have done the windscreen with some sort of spray that makes it just black tinted (so you can still see through it), trying to figure out what they used there.
I used VHT Nightshade for my truck tail lights. I have not had time to do the windshield but this is basically the "Spray Tint" that you can still see through. If you do end up trying this make sure u clean the windshield VERY well with rubbing alcohal and i would probably spray the inside of the shield, good luck hope it helps

VHT Nightshades.jpg

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #11
Cuongism

Yoshi pipes come with a heatshield so had that.

I currently have an Area P which doesn't have a heatshield.

For the flushmounts, I just removed the stock stems and added a silicone gasket. Still haven't figured a way for the integrated mirrors yet. I'm currently looking at GSXR mirrors.

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #12
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

There are a lot of very opinionated people with verbal diarrhea on the internet.

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:17 PM   #13
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

At least Joshua's open for debate on his opinions for what you should do to your bike!

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:20 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I'm surprised he didn't criticize your slipon and tell you to get a full system.
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 12:40 PM   #15
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

I'm of the opinion that when you have your own blog, you are setting yourself up for people like this. I know, because I can be one.

I have to +1 that he was probably just bored at work.

One of my friends who runs a much more popular blog than anything I've ever had just sticks to the rule that you don't reply to anyone in your comments section.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #16
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepoof View Post
There are a lot of very opinionated people with verbal diarrhea on the internet.
Exactly! Well said bluepoof

I guess I shouldn't reply to the blog and tell him I bought my 250 for $3k and have just about that much into it now as well, LOL. It's MY bike so I will do what I want. I really like your website, very clean layout, easy to read and it's good resource to help others looking for information. Thank you for your hard work.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #17
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

He would probably say the same stuff to me for what I have in mind for my pre-gen. I don't plan on ever getting rid of the 250 and have lots in mind to do it in the future. I do hope to get something like the FZ6R someday of course, but I still want the 250 to mod and play with and make it how I want.

So it's your bike, you plan on keeping it a very long time, make it YOUR bike. I agree, he was just looking at the 250 as a stepping stone and seemed to think you (possibly everyone) would be or should be doing the same. If anything I would just tell him "Thanks for you advice, but unlike you I don't see the 250 as a stepping stone. I am keeping the bike and plan to make it my own in the way(s) that I want."
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #18
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Whether it's a blog, a forum, or even this forum, don't take things people say personally. I would only consider something said to me insulting if the person knew me IRL and went ahead with their diatribe. All in all, do what you want and make yourself happy. I told myself I wouldn't modify my bike when I first bought it. It was jetted, shimmed, and had a full yoshi system. Since then, I've done sprockets, LED stuff, brake light modulator, hazard lights, ZG windscreen, rear set adjusters, and HID retrofit. I'm the type of person who can't leave anything alone if I think I can make it better, or at least more unique to me. As enthusiasts, we all want a piece of ourselves to be reflected in what we ride. Some people are purists who want everything stock, others want every nook and cranny to be personalized.

Old July 12th, 2011, 04:00 PM   #19
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

" if you want to discuss any of what I said, just drop me a line….im open to debating any of it."

Old July 12th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #20
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the nerve of some people. that guy gives americans a bad name... i mean... talk about the definition of a squid. it sounds like he rides bikes because he thinks it makes him look cool. tools like this make me sad that i have to share the internet with them.

Old July 12th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #21
jezebel
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
" if you want to discuss any of what I said, just drop me a line….im open to debating any of it."

Yeah - it's almost like he knew he was stoking the fire.

Old July 13th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #22
Johnnyscoots
Over 40 Ninjette Owner

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki VN900C (Black), 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (Red/Two Bros. Slip on, 41 Tooth Rear Sprocket)

Louks liyke Johsh forgot his spllcheckkkr. Hukkd on foniks did innnt werk fer hymn.

Seriously, I just read that er...post (?) of his just to laugh. Spelling = awful, punctuation = ???? Maybe he should've saved his 4 pence and bought a dictionary...

Johnny

Old July 13th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #23
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
You are wise to take the first part of ignoreance and just ignore him. If you respond you will just incourage him further.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2011, 10:48 PM   #24
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

"On my new bike, my shirt and hoodie both fly up around my neck at high speeds. I got burned up the yin yang because when I bought it, I rode 400 miles in 100 degree sun and my entire back is burnt."

Sounds like a possible squid to me. So no worries. After reading that post, even I felt kind of offended. Thanks for the laughs though.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 07:30 AM   #25
SpeedDemon
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
"On my new bike, my shirt and hoodie both fly up around my neck at high speeds. I got burned up the yin yang because when I bought it, I rode 400 miles in 100 degree sun and my entire back is burnt."

Sounds like a possible squid to me. So no worries. After reading that post, even I felt kind of offended. Thanks for the laughs though.
100% squid for sure i dont know about the rest of u but i know that my jacket doesnt move. Maybe blows around a little bit when u get above 80 but its no where close to having my back out in the open lol

Old July 14th, 2011, 08:59 AM   #26
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

First rule of the interwebs - Don't feed the trolls.

Whether you're going to keep your bike forever or sell it after 1 season, who cares what YOU do to YOUR bike? Seriously. I've seen guys pay $5500 for a 250, drop close to another $4000 into it in parts/farkles/mods, only to sell it after a couple hundred miles to get a 600 whatever. Back in the old days I was like "OMG! Someone on the internet is WRONG! I've GOTTA do something!" Now I'm more like "Who gives a f?" Your bike, your money, do what makes you happy and ignore the rest.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 05:05 PM   #27
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
With your safety peices…the adjustable levers….unless yours are bent or really hard to pull, leave them alone. the 250 has the nicest and smoothest clutch pull I have ever used.
^ LOL, what a bozo... tell that to somebody with small hands..
Couldnt read any more of his post after that comment
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:46 AM   #28
Stormshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Dylan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE:WHITE

I hate when people use "wreckless" in place of "reckless". I WANT to drive wreckless.

Seems he spent an awful long time expressing his humble opinion. It would suck if it were to be accidentally removed
Stormshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 09:39 AM   #29
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow View Post
I hate when people use "wreckless" in place of "reckless". I WANT to drive wreckless.
You noticed that too. It was bugging me but I was already urked by the guy before even getting to that part.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:25 PM   #30
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

He should lay off the nose candy!

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #31
jezebel
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys - I didn't respond because it would just end up messy. But I didn't want to delete it because there's a comment button there, so I don't really want to be playing god and censoring people who's opinions I don't agree with.

Some people replied to the post, and that's good enough for me

my mods

Old July 18th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #32
wtfh4xx
Opinionated individual :)

Name: SecretNinjaMan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninjette Special Edition (red/black)

Sweet website!
Yoshi slip on, shimmed 2 washers, zip tie throttle mod, pre-load #2, snorkel delete
2010 SE 250R!
Miles in the saddle: 1000
wtfh4xx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 03:22 AM   #33
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

CPT America seems like an angry individual......but insightful.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 07:03 AM   #34
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
That dude's a twat. just ignore him and look at it from time to time when you need a laugh. I like the blog though. Really shows the 2fiddy love, even if it's for a lowly blue bike

My .02 on your bike mods is carb mods. at the very least, shim the needles to get the midrange back/better and take advantage of what a new pipe gives you. consider snorkle removal too (if you don't want to mess with carbs I understand. But I'm willing to debate as well )
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #35
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
1. Nice web site.
2. I enjoy posts like Joshua's. Makes me The hoody and back sunburn comments were priceless.
3. As a gearless guy who traded the ninjette for a V Star, I think you could have fun talking about how money is best spent if you wanted to go there. But best to just enjoy the silliness of it and smirk to yourself.
4. If he keeps up comments like that, though, let us know and we'll gang troll him.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote