ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old August 16th, 2011, 02:52 AM   #1
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Name: Skippii

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Exclamation How NOT to take a girl on a date: The Reddish Knob Fiasco, and best ride report ever.

I've become a bit famous because of this ride.
For months, even a few years afterwards, I'd still occasionally get e-mails from strangers all over the country saying they'd been e-mailed a copy of it from their brother-in-law or something, and wanted to find out more, or say they knew the area, or just vent to me about their GPS.

I hope you enjoy it as much as they did.
Yes, it's long, but I promise it's worth it.

It's in PDF, read (or download) it here:

There is a sequel to it as well, though it doesn't involve any Ninjas. I'll post that one as well.

Old August 16th, 2011, 03:26 AM   #2
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

that was awesome.

but seriously....
did you hit it?
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:23 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I remember reading that somewhere quite awhile back. Made me laugh then, made me laugh now.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 09:13 AM   #4
oroboros
GDTRFB

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - sold 2005 EX500R project

Great story Skippii!

But what about your bike?

Old August 16th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
wow epic ride report. that melissa sounds like a keeper

Old August 16th, 2011, 11:49 AM   #6
spooph
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
That's a fantastic story Skipii! Not sure I'd want to live the same, I generally prefer things to go a bit smoother, but hey, they do make great stories... Also, I tend to follow signs over anything else I think I might know when it comes to directions/maps/GPS, etc....

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
that was awesome.

but seriously....
did you hit it?
+1!

Old August 16th, 2011, 01:00 PM   #8
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Hey man, awesome story. But to be honest, your conclusion was a bit unsatisfactory.

Exactly because you didn't mention anything about ....

THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
that was awesome.
but seriously....
did you hit it?
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Great ride report.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 03:16 PM   #10
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Good story
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 03:20 PM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You need a tard bad.....
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM   #12
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

This reminds me of me and my buddies very first hiking trip when we were teenagers. So, I figure Ill put it up here so you can enjoy yet another crazy story in the woods.

Back when I lived in Pensacola, FL, there is a trail called Jackson Trail out in the Blackwater State Forest. Its 21 miles long. We figured it would be a good beginning hike. None of us had any experience hiking. So we went down to Brownsville Army/Navy store, and bought some surplus Alice packs, and gadgetry that we thought we would need.

We didnt know much about how to pack a pack or what to bring, so we pretty much packed everything but the kitchen sink. Our packs were in the 80lb range. Canned food, propane lanterns, rediculas sized tents and sleeping bags.

We started at Kerick lake, and started hiking. We figured we would do 10 miles on the first day, and the rest the second day. We knew there were lean to shelters half way down the trail, but we had never seen them before or knew exactly where they were.

As we were hiking, we lost the trail about 4 miles in, and heard a noise. We looked around, and up in a tree was a hunter, in full camo....looking at us like we were about to be dinner. We quickly got out of there, and relocated the trail.

We continued on, and crossed a road. And once again we lost the trail. It was starting to get dark, and we had no idea how far it was to the shelter. We were sure it wasnt too much farther and kept hiking. It got dark....REAL dark. All of a sudden, we walked right into the middle of a cemetary. A OLD cemetary. You have to picture this situation. We were in the middle of the woods, with absolutely no civilization anywhere around, at night, in a cemetary from the 1800's. We were completely exhausted, and decided to just camp out next to the cemetary.

We all joked around about camping so close to a cemetary, and joking around about ghosts and stuff. So we finally got the tents up and went to sleep. About 3am, we heard this HORRIBLE noise. A low growling snarling noise...

We all started peaking outside of the tent, and this 90 year old guy comes walking up with the biggest dog Ive ever seen. He looked right at us and said "Ya'll know yer treadin' on SAycred ground"...

OMG...Immediatly, we all started picturing some tragedy right out of deliverence. I was so waiting for the banjo music.

He finally just walked off into the woods...with his snarling dog right behind him. No flashlight or anything...FREAKY.

I dont think any of us slept a bit the rest of the night. It finally got daylight, and we packed up as quickly as possible and headed out immediatly. We went about 2 miles up the trail....and sure enough. There was the shelter. SOB.

So we decided to just relax, and spend the day and next night at the shelter. There was a campfire pit, so we figured we would turn it into a 3 day trip. We were so tired from lugging around those 80lb packs we needed a break. We decided to dump pretty much everything we werent absolutly going to need for the rest of the trail, to save some weight.

We goofed off pretty much for the entire day, just chillin out. It started getting dark again. My friend David pulls out this propane lantern....

Now you have to remember, none of us has EVER done this before. We didnt know the first thing about a propane lantern. So David turns the knob, strikes a match. It wont light. We dont know why. So he strikes another match...nothing. He strikes a third match, and KABOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMM. The glass around the lantern explodes, and blows the top off the lantern.

It was a darn miracle none of us was seriously hurt.

Then it started to rain...not a little rain...but a torrential downpour. For 6 hours. Learned that you have to seam seal a tent, or it floods like a swimming pool. We all ran into the lean to. So here we are all huddled up in a lean to, in wet sleeping bags. Then the temp starts to drop....A LOT. 33 degrees, and wet. We were freezing, we noticed pine straw stuck up around the rafters....We decided to burn it for some warmth.....inside the lean to.....cause it was raining...

You know where this is going dont you? Lets just put it this way...if it wasnt for the pouring down rain, we were about 1 sec away from starting a forest fire, with a burning lean to. The rain put it all out and then stopped, and we packed up and took off QUICKLY.

The sun finally came up, after suffering moderate hypothermia combined with smoke inhalation..we just wanted to get the heck out of there. About mile 15, we were walking along a dirt road, and a ranger truck comes flying up. The ranger jumps out of the truck and yells "FREEZE, dont move". OH CRAP, we are so busted....

So this ranger is radioing the sheriff, saying I found them. We all kept saying it was an accident, and we just had to get out of there. He just told us to shut up and sit down.

An hour later, the sheriff shows up, and apparently, there is a juvi jail nearby. Three of the juviniles escaped, and took off into the woods...They thought for sure we, were them. Suspicions, along with our comments about wanting to get out of "there"....well you know how this looked.

The only thing that kept us from being carted off to juvi, was that one of them had a broken arm....none of us did.

We eventually finished the trail. We went back a while later. The glass shards from the exploded lantern were still there. We stuck one in the timbers of the lean to, and used a ball point pen to write our story on the wall.

I went back there 8 years later. The shard of glass is still stuck in the timbers, the story is still there. .....

And apparently we inspired others. The entire surface of the walls of the shelter are covered in stories from Boy Scout troops, hikers, and others. Its still there today. So if you are ever in Blackwater state park, go hike the Jackson trail, and put your story on the wall of the lean to.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 03:48 AM   #13
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Orange DRZ400-S, 2005 Ninja 250 & Custom Thundercunt Dirt Chopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
This reminds me of me and my buddies very first hiking trip when we were teenagers. So, I figure Ill put it up here so you can enjoy yet another crazy story in the woods.

Dude, that's awesome...but 80 freaking pounds??? That's like half what a Ninja weighs!

Old August 17th, 2011, 07:38 AM   #14
pugs24
ninjette.org member

Name: Joey

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Awesome story dude. Glad to see another JMU Duke Dog is on the forum. Gold and purple! Although I did hate the police cadets... Haha, just kidding.
pugs24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 08:29 AM   #15
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Yeah, 80lbs. It was nuts. We were about 14 years old at the time. Even though that trip was completely insane...it sparked a lifetime hobby of hiking. Since then, Ive hiked all over the US, including completing the entire Georgia section of the Appalachian Trail. Ive since learned how to pack a pack...now Im using a 35 liter pack under 20lbs for a 4-5 day trip. That includes sleeping bag, thermarest, tent, food, clothing, cooking kit, alcohol stove, water purifier, and other items.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 08:56 AM   #16
AznJoJo
ninjette.org Bunny

Name: Jojo

Motorcycle(s): none, cuz i'm a loser.

As soon as the story went to crossing the river I got icked out and just stopped reading. I'm soooo not into outdoors stuff, but I bet your story was really good. I'm sorry. =/
AznJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #17
d16soda
ninjette.org member

Name: pj

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznJoJo View Post
As soon as the story went to crossing the river I got icked out and just stopped reading. I'm soooo not into outdoors stuff, but I bet your story was really good. I'm sorry. =/
LOL.

good story bro,
did ya hit it???
d16soda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:07 AM   #18
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I'm a bit more curious as to what happened to your bike...

I can't believe you lifted the bike over fallen trees, what a wild story
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #19
AznJoJo
ninjette.org Bunny

Name: Jojo

Motorcycle(s): none, cuz i'm a loser.

Asshat, wear it proud. >=P

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16soda View Post
LOL.

good story bro,
did ya hit it???
AznJoJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #20
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

How was the clutch in the end?
Felipe the Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 12:19 PM   #21
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

that is quite the experience haha, I would have gave up and turned around the within the first minute lol
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #22
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Hahaha, wow. I wish I could say I've been on a date that epic. This makes me want to get more dirt riding in
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 18th, 2011, 09:29 AM   #23
d16soda
ninjette.org member

Name: pj

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznJoJo View Post
Asshat, wear it proud. >=P
:P The LOL was more of a, "wow my girlfriend is the same way".

We need a more satisfactory conclusion skippi!
d16soda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 20th, 2011, 10:56 PM   #24
Skippii
Milkshake Drinker

Okay, okay fine! Here's the second date with Melissa! No Ninjas on this one, but since you all seem equally interested in her as in Ninjas....

The Second Date!