ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 6th, 2011, 11:16 AM   #1
Rys
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 09 black 250

Track days

Whats your take in it for a newer rider? I have heard some comments to the effect that one track day is as valuable as 10k street miles. Is it something you guys would recommend for a newer rider or would you recommend holding off on it for a while? What are the benefits of a track day as you see it in developing "real world" skills?
Rys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

BAM!

That link should sum it up pretty well

As for how it relates to the real world, obviously it won't make you better at lane splitting or judging traffic, but having a much better understanding of how to position yourself and give inputs to your bike, as well as how your bike brakes, accelerates, and handles in general is pretty damn useful in all aspects of riding. It's easier to get yourself out of a pickle when your second nature reactions start taking into consideration how the bike can actually handle.

That, and it gives you all the adrenaline rush you need. Chances are likely you won't even have the desire to do anything crazy on the street anymore after that liberating rush at the track, thus making you safer by default
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 11:55 AM   #3
cliff0529
ninjette.org member

Name: Cliff

Motorcycle(s): 1999 BMW K1200LT, 2001 Aprilia Falco, 2008 Ninja 250R and a whole slew of dirtbikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys View Post
Whats your take in it for a newer rider? I have heard some comments to the effect that one track day is as valuable as 10k street miles. Is it something you guys would recommend for a newer rider or would you recommend holding off on it for a while? What are the benefits of a track day as you see it in developing "real world" skills?
There are any number of benefits for real world riding. It teaches you what you and the bike are truly capable of, teaches you to look through the turns and look where you want to go. Once you get faster, it'll teach you about threshold braking (braking hard enough to stop fast without endoing or locking up the rear).

As far as being new, most trackday companies in the SE tend to have some sort of structure to familiarize new track riders with the set-up. The most important thing to remember though, is to go to have fun. Don't have any preconceived ideas of how fast you'll go or that you're going to drag your knee, etc. Just go to have fun.

A few tips for you, if you do decide to give it a whirl.
1. Hydrate - you'll sweat more than you know
2. Have FUN - if you're holding your breath and have a death grip on the bars, you're just surviving and praying that you make it through the next corner...you won't learn anything doing that.
3. Be Smooth - Don't grab big handfuls of the brake or gas and don't sling the bike around. If you're fighting the bike, you're slowing yourself down and wearing yourself out.
4. Tape your speedometer up - focus more on what your mind and body are telling you than what your speedometer is. Sometimes 100mph feels slow on a racetrack, sometimes 50mph feels like you're going to eat it, let your instincts work that out, not your speedo.
5. HAVE FUN!!!

Some people love riding the track and others don't, there's only one way to find out what category you'll be in.

Georgia Fast Lane
cliff0529 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Zombiphone started a great thread on this (thread link) on this awhile back. She followed it up with a thread on what her first trackday was like (thread link), and I believe is considering racing at some point in the future.

I think all of the guidance in the prior thread continues to hold true. The track is probably not great for completely new riders who aren't comfortable with the basic operation of a motorcycle. But how many miles or how much time is appropriate will vary by rider, and by what expectations they have going in.

EDIT: Funny! I dawdled around before hitting send, and Tiffani beat me to the punch. Which makes sense, as it was her thread in the first place!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 12:08 PM   #5
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
EDIT: Funny! I dawdled around before hitting send, and Tiffani beat me to the punch. Which makes sense, as it was her thread in the first place!
Haha, my track day senses were tingling, so I was ready for it

And yep! Someday between now and the beginning of next year, I will be racing the bloody hell out of my 30hp beast (And by "racing", I mean "watching all the fast guys dicing it up in front while I ride behind them for a nice vantage point"- They don't have bleachers out there yet, you see)

Old October 6th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
If you are unsure, try to find a track that has "test the track" sessions. Similar to this http://www.mcraracing.com/ttt.htm.

Lower cost, Lower requirements, Speed limits, Passing limits, ect... ect...

This one even allows jeans!!!! WTF
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 01:44 PM   #7
Rys
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 09 black 250

Thanks for the links I read the threads. I think I'll hold off until maybe next summer before i try one. Barbers is just so nice, it calls to me lol. Dumb question why do they make you take off the mirrors and cover up the lights and signals? I also saw the link about some tracks might not be good for a 250 because of the speeds others have out there. Does anyone know what kind of track Barbers is speed wise?
Rys is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Barber looks cool for 250's, I would ride mine there in a heartbeat. I love elevation changes. Look me up if you go next year and I will try to get out with you.

You take off the mirrors and such for all the common sense reasons. Mirrors because you don't want those killing your focus, and less debris when/if the bike goes down. Same for lights and signals. Other riders can target fix on your lights. Not cool! Some may even say to tape your speedo, again to keep your focus off it. Your speeds don't really mean crap on the tract. Working on skills, lap time and finding good lines is where its at.

Its all about the organization your there with. Novice is pretty tame with most orgs and tracks. (someone may chime in on specific tracks) Of course you may run into the rouge rider but they should black flag that rider and take care of it.

Do your homework on the organization putting on the track day event and talk with others who have completed that orgs track day. If you going to learn vs going for just track time that can help you make a good decision.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 08:47 AM   #9
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rys View Post
I also saw the link about some tracks might not be good for a 250 because of the speeds others have out there.
Yes, some tracks with long straights do not lend themselves to a 250, simply becuase everyone is going to be flying by. On the straights. It's funny how 600cc+ riders can zoom on by in the striaghts but can't seem to pull away in the corners. At least not in C group (usually).
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2011, 09:12 AM   #10
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
It's funny how 600cc+ riders can zoom on by in the striaghts but can't seem to pull away in the corners. At least not in C group (usually).
Haha, this is even true at Big Willow. I don't know how many people I've blown past in turn 8 (really fast- like usually 120 mph fast in the higher levels- wide, sweeping turn- for those who don't know) on the 250. The only part that sucks is having them blow right back past me in the next straight and getting stuck behind them over and over again throughout the track. But having guys on literbikes approach me to tell me they're shocked how fast my bike can go at the "Fastest Road in the West" has a strange level of satisfaction I'll miss that now that I've resolved to stop sandbagging in C group

That said, while there are definitely tracks that are better suited for the 250 than others, you'll have fun and learn plenty on ANY track. You'll just learn slightly different things. Don't let phrases like "That's a horsepower track" hold you back. I personally have a blast on big willow constantly trying to keep my momentum up and conciously forcing myself to stay tucked at all times and not brake

More significantly though, Jinx- you're in socal and ride track? Why haven't I met you?! Or have I?