ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 8th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

I'm not sure if I really want a motorcycle.

You read the title correctly, I've got to be honest with myself.

It's not that I don't think I am mature enough, I'm just not sure if it's the right lifestyle for me.

Changing the oil, the filter, lubricating the chain, checking tire pressure, replacing tires, brake fluid, coolant, replacing the spark plugs (I don't know what these are), cleaning the carbs (I don't know what this means), winterizing and whatnot is a lot of responsibility on your shoulders and is a job itself.

I don't have any experience working with the oily bits. But I think I more worried about letting my bike down resulting in minor cosmetic damage let alone getting into an accident.

It's not like I don't have a lot of time on my hands. I'm not going to school currently and I work part time averaging maybe 15 hours a week. I haven't spent a dime in a years because I know I am going to buy a used car eventually if I don't get a motorcycle, but either way, money is going to be tight down the road so to speak.

I don't really know what I want to do in my life but I know that it's not sitting at home behind the monitor day after day for countless hours. I need a hobby and desperately need to get out of the house. I think motorcycles might be the answer to that.

It has been about 2 months since I've last been on two wheels. I got my endorsement. It's just a matter of me making a thorough decision. If I do follow through, I plan on buying a new (I know) Ninja 250r this winter.

Old October 8th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Do you have any past experience with mechanics? or are you not sure you'll like working with it?

I have very limited mechanical knowledge myself and don't have a bike yet...plan on getting one in the spring. One of the things that I'm most looking forward to when I get the bike is working with it and learning all the things you mentioned. No one buys a bike being a mechanical genius and I'm sure there's a good number of people on this forum that didn't know about working on a bike before they got one.

It'll probably take a good amount of dedication to your bike to do all the stuff you mentioned, I'll give you that, but you said you needed a hobby and needed something to do other than just hanging around inside all day. Unless you're the type of person who is just not at all interested in working on the bike or even learning, I think it would be good for you. There's plenty of DIYs out there to help with just about any issues you run into and this forum is more than helpful if you just ask. You could also maybe try to connect with other riders in your area and possibly get some help from them. Think of it as a hobby that will get you out of the house, provide you with transportation, and possibly introduce you to some great people.
Malicious Logic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2011, 02:14 PM   #3
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

live a little....

Old October 8th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #4
vujack
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R SE GREEN

You're gonna have to do the same **** with a car.

Old October 8th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #5
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

yup eventually youll need to do that to a car.

Old October 8th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the only difference between it and a car for maintenance is chain lube... which isn't hard and if you really don't want to do it you can get one of those auto luber things. you take your car to a mechanic to have its oil changed and have it serviced right? why not take the bike if you don't have the time to do the work

Old October 8th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
live a little....
+1

I can here it now, "If only I would have bought my own bike......."
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #8
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

I have no experience with mechanics at all and will be bringing my bike into either dealerships for maintenance or a garage I found near me thats cheaper. I think one day I'll try doing some maintenance my self, such as an oil change and what not, but that'll be down the road. It's not necessary to have knowledge about that stuff if you want a bike. It would help, but eventually you'll learn about it or just take it to a shop.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

You have 400+ post but don't have a motorcycle? What? Go get one. You need a hobby!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #10
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250r

Don't make it about the mechanics. I had no mechanical background when I bought my bike and I am not willing to pay 85/hr for somebody else to do it. That's why you have all of us and hundreds of other websites to teach you how to do that. I do all my own matinence and this site and YouTube have been very helpful with that

Old October 8th, 2011, 05:03 PM   #11
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

With all thats being said though, I posted what I did since it seems mechanical stuff is your only issue. If you have a fear for your life and just dont want to take the risk, then by all means get a car instead or something else. The other users are right, you would have to do the same maintenance to a car like you would a bike, but a minor maintenance in a car could be a huge one for a bike........ Car wise, you could go for a long time without oil changes and what not. I cant remember the last time my family changed the oil in our cars. But motorcycle wise, itd be bad.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #12
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

wtf?

dude its not that big of a deal. Pay someone if youre not comfortable doing it...
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2011, 08:04 PM   #13
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

Like many have said, when you buy a motorcycle you not only get a mode of transportation but you also buy into a lifestyle. This lifestyle comes with it's pros and cons but the greatest thing is you will have membership in a group of people that are willing to help in making motorcycling as great a joy for you as it is for them.

I'm also certain that there is quite possibly a ninjetter nearby that would be willing to help. All else failing you have this site and youtube. If you have the agility to ride a bike then you certainly have what it takes to spray some lube and twist a few screws. Go slow, ask questions, and just enjoy life. It only comes around once.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 8th, 2011, 09:02 PM   #14
mike
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

agreed. do it! you wont regret it. you can have your oil and coolant changed professionally pretty cheap if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself

Old October 8th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #15
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Seriously, buy the damn bike. It's totally worth it.

Old October 8th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #16
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

That's almost the same question as "should I upgrade?" In this forum you are going to get pro-motorcycling. What you are feeling is entirely understandable. Not wanting to do any of the maintence is common and many riders have mechanics do it but if you dont think you like riding then I think you know the answer.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2011, 07:20 AM   #17
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

OP, you obviously can't make up your mind. You started your post off saying you're not sure if you want to get into motorcycle ownership, but towards the end, it seemed as though you changed your mind half-way through and decided that riding a motorcycle would be a good hobby for you.

All I have to say about the mechanical aspect of motorcycle ownership is that everything you mentioned, including the spark plugs but excluding the carb work (I guess that would depend on how old the car is), HAS to be done to a car, too. Ya dig? In other words, unless you're willing to pay a dealership/mechanic to do the work for you, you're still going to end up paying for maintenance one way or another, no matter what type of vehicle you purchase. Hell, you'll have to do similar work on a scooter, too!
The choice is yours whether you decide to buy a bike or not.
All I can add to this is that I initially had never worked on a vehicle myself, but if I can do an oil change and chain lube on my bike, I'm sure anyone can. They're so easy!

Old October 9th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #18
nealt
ninjette.org member

Name: Neal

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

I will also agree with what everyone else has said about maintenance. Like many things in life, if you have to do it you will learn. If you are looking to ride just because of the image then this may explain the hesitation. If you truly enjoy riding it shouldn't matter what you ride be it bicycle, unicycle or motorbike(any motorbike).
Personally I find my bike is a time compressor. A 3 hour drive in the car can feel like forever, yet I can ride all day without a thought as to how long I have been in the saddle. The bike keeps me sane, it's the 180 I need to pull all the stresses out of my head and refocuses my mind.
If you truly like being on two wheels, the maintenance aspect is just a part of riding as a whole.
One caveat is to make sure your finances can support this (bike, gear, maintenance and insurance) activity. If so go ahead and enjoy...
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #19
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nealt View Post
If you truly enjoy riding it shouldn't matter what you ride be it bicycle, unicycle or motorbike(any motorbike).
Well said, neal. I couldn't imagine not riding motorcycles. I love them. They are a lifestyle for me. I know for some people they are just show pieces or toys. For me, by bike is commuter and toy all in one. I ride to ride, not to be seen riding. I bought some thermal base layers today so I can start to deal with the 40-50 degree rides home from school at night with no sun. Like I said, I love it.

John, if you have enjoyed riding and want to continue that enjoyment, then get the bike. If not, then don't.

Old October 9th, 2011, 12:50 PM   #20
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
If you truly enjoy riding it shouldn't matter what you ride be it bicycle, unicycle or motorbike(any motorbike).
That's the reason I ride my bicycle every day. That and I want to lose some fat haha.

Old October 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #21
kaiserz
There's a limit to s2pdty

Name: A.D.

Motorcycle(s): 250r ninja (sold)

Motorcycling is an expensive hobby. and there are lots of risks that are gonna be involve.

I say if you're gonna be halfhearted in getting a motorcycle, just don't, there's always next year or next next year.
Also it's still practical to get a car vs a bike. yes a bike is much cheaper on gas, but it needs lots of love and dedication and attention. Also I'm just wondering, do you have health insurance? is this gonna be your first bike? how old are you? cause if it is and you're <25 are you willing to pay 70+ a month on insurance? there are so much risk involve in motorcycling. there's also gear. last year alone I've spent $1k+ on gear alone.
are you willing to pay $100+ on maintenance? how bout tires? how about if you get into an accident?

IMHO motorcycles are not practical. (but I love em)

About something to do, why not try jui jitsu? krav maga? muay thai?

anyway good luck
kaiserz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2011, 05:57 PM   #22
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

a motorcycle is cheaper OVERALL (next to a car) ,learn something new (oil change, clean chain) on the way too I can say buying this ninja is 1 of my best desisions I ever made.
Posted via Mobile Device
cuz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2011, 09:55 PM   #23
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

This thread should be called. "Im not sure if Im a man"

lol jk jk

Old October 9th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #24
heylookitsfranco
ninjette.org member

Name: Franco

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2006 Ninja 636

That's exactly the situation my older brother found himself in some years ago. in the end he didn't get the bike, and he's fine with that. I went ahead and got my bike, and I don't regret becoming a motorcyclist one bit. actually, being a biker is one of the FEW things I really and truly don't regret.

Way I see things is you're only young and stupid once. At the very least, it'll make for a good story.

Old October 9th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #25
Firehorse
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ms.T, Queen of the Night

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Maybe test the water first, get a used bike for less money and use the basic maintenance thing as a way to gain a valuable skill.

Being good with your hands, following instructions, organizational skills etc will serve you well in all areas of your life, not just those mechanic-type things.

If later you hate the work, service it out, if you hate the lifestyle, sell the bike but live life with no regrets.
Firehorse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #26
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

I would say go for it but wait till spring, no point in having a new bike in your garage all winter that you can’t use. Unless you can get a very good deal because it’s the end of the season leave it till next year.

Steve

Old October 10th, 2011, 12:00 AM   #27
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Don't try to over think or complicate it. You're making it sound more like a chore than it really is. Other than changing the oil and lubing the chain on occasion, how often do you think you will be changing tires or spark plugs? Checking tire pressure takes a few minutes and takes less time on a motorcycle than it does a car, 2 tires vs. 4.

It's good that you're trying to make an thorough decision but if you really want to get a bike, just get one and you'll find that the rest of the stuff, like maintenance, will sort itself out. On the other hand, if you find yourself making excuses/reasons not to get a bike, then it might be sign that it may not be for you. It happens. There's nothing wrong with that either. There will be other opportunities down the line for when and if you feel you're ready. Best of luck.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 12:06 AM   #28
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post
Motorcycling is an expensive hobby. and there are lots of risks that are gonna be involve.

I say if you're gonna be halfhearted in getting a motorcycle, just don't, there's always next year or next next year.
Also it's still practical to get a car vs a bike. yes a bike is much cheaper on gas, but it needs lots of love and dedication and attention. Also I'm just wondering, do you have health insurance? is this gonna be your first bike? how old are you? cause if it is and you're <25 are you willing to pay 70+ a month on insurance? there are so much risk involve in motorcycling. there's also gear. last year alone I've spent $1k+ on gear alone.
are you willing to pay $100+ on maintenance? how bout tires? how about if you get into an accident?

anyway good luck
You have to consider that insurance for a car *Could* be equally as expensive(although not likely). Car maintenance is much more expensive than motorcycle maintenance. Doing an oil change is not hard at all, its literally 2 bolts on the bottom of the bike and it costs like $30 bucks to buy a gallon of Shell Rotella T6 and an oil filter. Also as far as tires go, you're going to be replacing 4 tires instead of 2. A set of BT-016's cost like ~$200, a set of good tires for a car cost at least triple that. Depending on what he has to carry on a daily basis determines whether a motorcycle is practical for him or not. I agree that good gear is very expensive and is an initial investment.

Old October 10th, 2011, 12:38 AM   #29
MotoED
ninjette.org guru

Name: Edd

Motorcycle(s): 2011 SE Pearl/Ebony Ninja 250R

I also don't have any experience with the oily bits. I just held the light for pops!
Thanks to this forum and all the useful DIY's here I learned a few things... and still learning!
But if you don't want to do all that required maintenance on your own, then I'm sure someone will do it for you.... For a fee of course.

By the way, this is one, if not, the BEST hobbies I have. It's also healthy for me
MotoED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 06:25 AM   #30
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Before I got my bike, a biker I met told me that I should make sure I buy a bike that I like the look of. His reasoning being that I would have to spend time cleaning it and maintaining it: having a pretty bike makes it a lot easier.

I do very little of my own maintenance at present -- just the basics -- but I intend to learn the more complicated stuff over time. I don't feel at all bad taking the bike to a mechanic though. I doubt it costs me much more than doing it myself. If I do it myself I need to buy lots of equipment and I need the space to store it.

At present I love the cleaning and maintenance I do on my bike. It's nice to care for my machine! The manual that comes with the Ninjette explains quite clearly how to do things.

Also: if you're anything like me, then once you have a taste of riding then you can't turn back. I went from never really acknowledging motorcycles, to dedicating a huge chunk of my waking hours to them! I hope this doesn't change either. I've never done anything which matches the feeling of riding. Some one on this forum said that you can get similar feelings from sky diving. Haven't tried that yet.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #31
Heed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Do you have any past experience with mechanics? or are you not sure you'll like working with it?

I don't have any past experience whatsoever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
live a little....
:0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vujack View Post
You're gonna have to do the same **** with a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
yup eventually youll need to do that to a car.
Yeah, I guess so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
the only difference between it and a car for maintenance is chain lube... which isn't hard and if you really don't want to do it you can get one of those auto luber things. you take your car to a mechanic to have its oil changed and have it serviced right? why not take the bike if you don't have the time to do the work
Yeah, I think most people should know how to change their own oil, though. Not that I know how to myself, but from what I've been told (from my dad), it's a hell of a lot cheaper to do it on your own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
+1

I can here it now, "If only I would have bought my own bike......."
Yeah.. I mean I don't want to grow up, have kids and drive a mini van.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
I have no experience with mechanics at all and will be bringing my bike into either dealerships for maintenance or a garage I found near me thats cheaper. I think one day I'll try doing some maintenance my self, such as an oil change and what not, but that'll be down the road. It's not necessary to have knowledge about that stuff if you want a bike. It would help, but eventually you'll learn about it or just take it to a shop.
I guess there's always DIYs on Youtube. I just don't want to f*ck anything up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil7153 View Post
You have 400+ posts on this thread. You basically do nothing but talk motorcycle stuff, might as well get a bike. Like they say, "Dont be a bitch dude"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
You have 400+ post but don't have a motorcycle? What? Go get one. You need a hobby!
yeah, my posts speak for themself. I have no hobby or anything going for me right now really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGjackafidy View Post
Don't make it about the mechanics. I had no mechanical background when I bought my bike and I am not willing to pay 85/hr for somebody else to do it. That's why you have all of us and hundreds of other websites to teach you how to do that. I do all my own matinence and this site and YouTube have been very helpful with that
true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
With all thats being said though, I posted what I did since it seems mechanical stuff is your only issue. If you have a fear for your life and just dont want to take the risk, then by all means get a car instead or something else. The other users are right, you would have to do the same maintenance to a car like you would a bike, but a minor maintenance in a car could be a huge one for a bike........ Car wise, you could go for a long time without oil changes and what not. I cant remember the last time my family changed the oil in our cars. But motorcycle wise, itd be bad.
Yeah I think that's the only difference. Cars almost take care of themselves these days. I'm talking about cars like a Civic or a Corolla. You can drive the snot out of it, not really take care of it according to the books and it will still get 200K+ miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
wtf?

dude its not that big of a deal. Pay someone if youre not comfortable doing it...
k

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
Like many have said, when you buy a motorcycle you not only get a mode of transportation but you also buy into a lifestyle. This lifestyle comes with it's pros and cons but the greatest thing is you will have membership in a group of people that are willing to help in making motorcycling as great a joy for you as it is for them.

I'm also certain that there is quite possibly a ninjetter nearby that would be willing to help. All else failing you have this site and youtube. If you have the agility to ride a bike then you certainly have what it takes to spray some lube and twist a few screws. Go slow, ask questions, and just enjoy life. It only comes around once.
yeah, I really need to get a means of transportation because the way I see it, getting a vehicle is going to open doors to other stuff I wanna do with my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
agreed. do it! you wont regret it. you can have your oil and coolant changed professionally pretty cheap if you dont feel comfortable doing it yourself
ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
Seriously, buy the damn bike. It's totally worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
That's almost the same question as "should I upgrade?" In this forum you are going to get pro-motorcycling. What you are feeling is entirely understandable. Not wanting to do any of the maintence is common and many riders have mechanics do it but if you dont think you like riding then I think you know the answer.
true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Green_Demon View Post
OP, you obviously can't make up your mind. You started your post off saying you're not sure if you want to get into motorcycle ownership, but towards the end, it seemed as though you changed your mind half-way through and decided that riding a motorcycle would be a good hobby for you.

All I have to say about the mechanical aspect of motorcycle ownership is that everything you mentioned, including the spark plugs but excluding the carb work (I guess that would depend on how old the car is), HAS to be done to a car, too. Ya dig? In other words, unless you're willing to pay a dealership/mechanic to do the work for you, you're still going to end up paying for maintenance one way or another, no matter what type of vehicle you purchase. Hell, you'll have to do similar work on a scooter, too!
The choice is yours whether you decide to buy a bike or not.
All I can add to this is that I initially had never worked on a vehicle myself, but if I can do an oil change and chain lube on my bike, I'm sure anyone can. They're so easy!
I know I am being an indecisive bitch here.

Quote:
Personally I find my bike is a time compressor. A 3 hour drive in the car can feel like forever, yet I can ride all day without a thought as to how long I have been in the saddle. The bike keeps me sane, it's the 180 I need to pull all the stresses out of my head and refocuses my mind.
i never thought of it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserz View Post

anyway good luck

I have health insurance via my dad's company until I am 26.

This will be my first bike.

I am 19.

Yes, I have no choice. Insurance is mandatory. The costs are going to rape my wallet but a car would too anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
This thread should be called. "Im not sure if Im a man"

lol jk jk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
I would say go for it but wait till spring, no point in having a new bike in your garage all winter that you can’t use. Unless you can get a very good deal because it’s the end of the season leave it till next year.

Steve
Yeah, I'm not sure. Since the 250 is so popular it isn't going to be significantly cheaper in the Winter, but I figure I could save a few hundred bucks maybe if i bought in the winter.

It's October. The leafs are falling, it's starting to get cold in the mornings.

Old October 10th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #32
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Get it!!!!!!!!!!

Peer pressure!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old October 10th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #33
Numbersix
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Honda Elite 110 (deceased), Green 2012 Ninja 250 (sold on Pi day); Grey/Green 2019 Ninja 400 ABS

I'd hang on for now; last year around February a couple Ninjettes turned up at my local dealership for $2k each. Shortly after the frost cleared they were spoken for and gone.

OTOH now is also the time when less than dedicated riders decide that they don't want to bother with storage &/or battery tenders. Initially you'll see high asking prices but patience followed by an offer can net a good deal (and the privilege of looking at the new bike through the snowy times).
Numbersix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #34
Hopmix
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 11 CBR250R

I know your into a ninja but if your just looking fro commuting there are other bikes. ex..
Honda cbr 250r ... if you keep it stock, service schedule 500- 4000 -8000-12000
Oil change recommended at 500 first service then 8000 then 16000. Chain lube is recommended every 600 but really you just keep an eye on it. I say spray some lube on every 2 tanks or 400. Thats much less service than a car. Im not sure about the ninjette but i cant imagine its much more intense than that.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen shot 2011-10-10 at 5.08.21 PM.png (73.3 KB, 3 views)
Hopmix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 02:18 PM   #35
Heed

i think ergonomically the Ninja 250 is my best bet. I'm a pretty small guy and the seat height should be ideal for me. i never sat on a ninja before though so that can all change

Old October 10th, 2011, 02:25 PM   #36
Hopmix
ninjette.org member

Name: Joel

Motorcycle(s): 11 CBR250R

same height. the point was the maintenance though. Not as frequent as car, but more expensive than car. at least the honda. service manual can be a great investment though.
Hopmix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #37
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Personally, I didn't have a whole lot of experience with the maintenance of a car or a bike. But after just a month or so of reading and working on the bike itself I know a whole lot more. My 250r was my first ever bike and I was kind of scared on getting on it, but as long as you learn fast, and smartly you'll do fine.

Be safe.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote