ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old May 24th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

gilmorec61: Get well soon.

I just found out today that one of our youngest members, @gilmorec61 (Chris), was involved in an accident yesterday morning. Just the night before, I helped him install a new blue chain. I sincerely hope it had nothing to do with the accident. Everything seemed to go well.

He described his injuries as a broken bone in his wrist with a 2-week recovery (?!), rash all over, and a "mild" concussion. I'm not sure how "mild" but he can't remember the accident Wednesday morning, installing the chain Tuesday night, or even selling the other Ninjette on Monday. I hope he's not down-playing it too much and really will recover quickly.

He says he was on his way to the Central Education Center, where I know he has some classes, so I also hope this doesn't affect his end-of-school-year activities.

As far as the accident details: he can't personally remember but, from what he's pieced together, he believes he was rear-ended at a stop light by a young girl. I can't remember if he said she was a student driver or a driver who is also a high school student. Either way, there's a bike-shaped cavity in the front of her car. His (and my) money is on her texting.

Lest anyone jump to any conclusions: Although young drivers are a factor, it appears that HIS age wasn't the particularly relevant one. That said, he may have been more attune to traffic and aware of dangers and escape routes if he were more experienced on the road first, so I'm not saying it's completely irrelevant. Regardless, details are much too slim to draw any meaningful conclusions at this point, so let's all just wish him a speedy recovery.

Get well soon, Chris!

Last futzed with by CZroe; May 24th, 2012 at 03:06 PM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Trailerboy531
Gear crash test dummy

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 race bike, 2014 ZX-636r

Rash all over? So...no gear?

That's a damn shame, hope he has a speedy recovery and regains what he can of his memory.
Trailerboy531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 02:38 PM   #3
EthioKnight
Super Noob

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, '84 Honda Spree 50cc

Damn...freaking texters!..this is exactly why I never truly relax at stop lights. Hope you get well soon Chris.
EthioKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 02:45 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

He started to remember a few things as we were talking but his dad told him to take it easy and not to try, as if it's bad to stress yourself with that when recovering. That's possibly the doctor's recommendation, but he doesn't remember being there either! I asked if he just remembered waking up in the hospital and he said "not even that."

I think he also mentioned a bruised/swollen ankle or hip. He is at home, so I hope we hear from him directly soon enough.

Despite the heat, I know he was wearing something long-sleeved. I don't know much about his gear, but he wears a helmet (in GA: of course) and he might wear work boots or something (can't recall). If I had been riding since meeting him, I can't say I'd have been the best example: I rarely wear proper riding pants when I'm commuting but I wear jeans at least and wear my jacket, gloves, and boots religiously. After his valve job and again after his exhaust mod, I did not bring my gear and yet I test-rode his bike through a couple neighborhoods while wearing his too-small helmet (didn't realize I'd get the opportunity). In addition to the times I mentioned above, I've compromised on occasion for two uniforms when I couldn't carry a third change of clothes (going from catering job to security site). When I go any meaningful distance, I break out the riding pants.

Old May 24th, 2012, 02:56 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
concussions suck, memory should come back as the concussion fades. my brother has had like 20 concussions and he's still fine... mostly...

Old May 24th, 2012, 03:03 PM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerboy531 View Post
Rash all over?
He just said "bumps and scrapes" or something. "Rash" was my word. I tend to describe "scrapes" as "rash" when it involves a motorcycle accident, though I have no idea of the severity. I have scabs on all four limbs from falling last week when using bolt cutters at work and, well, if it came from falling on all fours off my motorcycle I might describe the same injuries as "rash" too. I don't want to belittle his injuries though: I haven't seen them and I didn't press for a better description. His "scrapes" very well may be nasty road rash by anyone's definition.

Old May 24th, 2012, 04:06 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Kudos to you for helping fellow riders, CZroe

Best wishes for Chris
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I'll bet it was the same bitch that hit me
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #9
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

Get well soon Chris

Old May 25th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #10
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

poor little guy!
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I checked back with him yesterday. He tells me that the accident exempted him from finals and his grades were fine, so he has nothing to worry about school-wise. The bike is at a local dealer and he was well enough to go take a look. He said the rear rim was badly bent and the frame attached to the tail was twisted, so it's definitely totaled. He's remembering more and more about recent events but still can't remember the accident. I doubt he ever will remember that because it didn't have the chance to leave short-term memory before he was injured. He said he's feeling much better too, so I take that to mean less pain from other injuries. Hopefully we'll hear directly from him soon.

Old May 26th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Best wishes for a speed recovery!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #13
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

Get better, Chris! Hopefully getting hit hasn't changed your mind too much about riding!
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2012, 09:52 AM   #14
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

it wasnt a hit and run right?

Old May 26th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
it wasnt a hit and run right?
Pretty sure it wasn't. He gave me too many details that had to have come from a 3rd party. The reason it sounds reconstructed is because I didn't witness it and he doesn't remember it.

Old May 26th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #16
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

cool well at least everything is covered.

Old May 27th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #17
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Hey Emmet, thanks for filling them in. Only going to post pics for now, as it is hard as crap to type with one hand. Any questions bout the whole ordeal, ask away

photo (3).JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

Their are better pictures of the bike actually wedged in the SUV that hit me, however im going to wait to put those up.
gilmorec61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #18
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

well well looks like someone will be getting a new bike now! just looking on the bright side man.

PSSS!

Pick up a DRZ400SM

Old May 27th, 2012, 07:32 PM   #19
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Yes sir, you have that right!! And i've actually been entertaining that idea in my head for alongggg time! Either that, or a KTM supermoto, or a zx6r, r6, cbr600.

Old May 27th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #20
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

dont get an SS yet man. get a sumo. They are fun, and while they can get you in trouble they dont have the insane top speeds of an SS. Youre still a pretty new rider (as am I) so id stick to something with a reasonable top speed. lol

careful on those KTMs some of them are huge!

Old May 27th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #21
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Wow man, what a bitch...damn texters...that's why I always keep an eye behind me sometimes. People fly up and then slam on their brakes...scares the bejesus out of me.

Best of health to you man!!
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 28th, 2012, 12:18 PM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I smell a fat settlement
AFM #676

Old May 28th, 2012, 06:24 PM   #23
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
dont get an SS yet man. get a sumo. They are fun, and while they can get you in trouble they dont have the insane top speeds of an SS. Youre still a pretty new rider (as am I) so id stick to something with a reasonable top speed. lol

careful on those KTMs some of them are huge!
yeah man, when i start shopping for one, ill be shopping for both. i will need something in the future that is good on long hwy riding. but basically, if i see a good deal on either one, thats what ill get.

And yeah man, normally i keep my eyes behind me too, cept i think i had just barely stopped at the light when she hit me, so i was still paying attention on stopping.

And @Jiggles, we'll see!

Old May 29th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #24
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Well, Chris, I stopped by Cycle City today with my friend Casey (@case86). When I told him that your wrecked bike was probably still there somewhere, one of the girls on the sales floor was surprised to know I knew you. It's been a couple days since I checked on you outside of this thread, so I didn't have anything new to tell her, but I showed her the pics from this thread.

So, any changes? How are you feeling? Does anything still hurt? What's the ETA on when you can ride again and do you think it will be before or after you are able to get another bike?

Oh, and I'm buying another 250 which I will co-own with Casey until he pays me for it (can't ride without full-coverage!), so I should have another bike for the next year if you ever just want to get out and ride. Now I just need to figure out how to get it back from Augusta, GA because it can't be ridden yet (lacks street lighting at the moment).

Old June 2nd, 2012, 01:08 AM   #25
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Is that a kitten lying on your chest?

How fast was she travelling when she hit you?
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2012, 03:47 AM   #26
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Is that a kitten lying on your chest?

How fast was she travelling when she hit you?
There can't be a kitteh in such a manly photo. Shirtless, injured from a motorcycle accident and still smiling. I suspect it is chest hair.

Get well soon, Chris. Not much that can be done about getting rear ended. Rare accidents, you got really unlucky. Looking forward to details once you can type. Not usually much to learn about riding skills and accident avoidance from being rear ended - really one of the VERY few kinds of motorcycle accidents where the rider can't do much to avoid it. (I'm not a fan of the "watch your rear view mirror and get ready to accelerate out of trouble" camp. Rear enders too rare, too hard to get out in time, usually no where safe to go, etc.)

On the gear front, it sounds like your helmet may have saved you some serious head injury if you've got memory loss and concussion with the helmet on. Well done for wearing one. From your road rash gauze, I'm guessing no protective gear other than the helmet? How bad is the road rash? Would abrasion resistant gear have helped you out in the accident?

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2012, 04:02 AM   #27
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfloyd2002 View Post
Get well soon, Chris. Not much that can be done about getting rear ended. Rare accidents, you got really unlucky. Looking forward to details once you can type. Not usually much to learn about riding skills and accident avoidance from being rear ended - really one of the VERY few kinds of motorcycle accidents where the rider can't do much to avoid it. (I'm not a fan of the "watch your rear view mirror and get ready to accelerate out of trouble" camp. Rear enders too rare, too hard to get out in time, usually no where safe to go, etc.)
On one of the lane splitting threads, someone raised the point that lane splitting past cars at a stop is a good way of avoiding being rear ended. You can either pull up along side the car in front or lane split to the front. Anyone flying up from behind where you were would then crash into a much more resilient steel cage instead of a squishy biker.

Obviously it's not always possible [and not always legal].

Pigeon

Old June 4th, 2012, 06:19 AM   #28
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
On one of the lane splitting threads, someone raised the point that lane splitting past cars at a stop is a good way of avoiding being rear ended. You can either pull up along side the car in front or lane split to the front. Anyone flying up from behind where you were would then crash into a much more resilient steel cage instead of a squishy biker.

Obviously it's not always possible [and not always legal].

Pigeon
I do that, but lane splitting is legal in Barbados. I'm afraid it isn't in Georgia. This is a good reason that lane splitting laws should be changed.

Also, pigeon? What happened to squirrel? Or Akima?

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #29
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
I do that, but lane splitting is legal in Barbados. I'm afraid it isn't in Georgia. This is a good reason that lane splitting laws should be changed.

Also, pigeon? What happened to squirrel? Or Akima?
There was a pigeon near me. He's gone now.

Old June 4th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #30
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Haven't been able to reach Chris by text message so... Chris! How are ya, bud?

Quote:
There can't be a kitteh in such a manly photo. Shirtless, injured from a motorcycle accident and still smiling. I suspect it is chest hair.
I know how much you hate cats and wish that were true, but some curious young felines did try to ensnare me with cuteness while I was there the night before the accident. At first I valiantly resisted their advances under the excuse that I would get their fur greasy with my hands but, once washed up, I had no excuse and succumbed to their devious will.

Old June 4th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #31
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
^ Are you sure there wasn't a window open? A draft may have blown a cluster of his manly chest hair around creating the illusion of a fully animated kitten.

Old June 4th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #32
codestp202

Wow, get well soon. I try to pay a lot of attention to the people behind me and I think I'm going to A LOT more now. A guy pulled out in front me in the other day at an intersection, thank god I pay a lot of attention at intersections or I would have gotten wrecked.

Old June 4th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #33
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Sorry about your crash man. Crashes suck.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #34
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

You guys are too funny Well guys, after being in the mountains for a week I'm finally back! Feeling alot better, thinking much clearer since the accident. Not exactly sure yet the how bad my concussion was, going in Thursday to get it checked out. Broken bones suck:/ This is the first bone ive broken, and i hope my last. It turned out that instead of a hairline fracture, it was a complete break of the main bone(the big one) in my arm/wrist. Soooo, im supposedly stuck in a cast half my summer And probably without a bike the whole summer until the settlement arrives. Anyways just wanted to update everyone!

And Emmett, sorry for not responding to your texts a while back!

Old June 12th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #35
CZroe
CPT Falcon

He's back!

Welcome back, Chris. Recovering and relaxing in the mountains is the best excuse you could have given us.

The good news is that I now have a second 2fiddy and you're welcome to ride as soon as you and it are able... with a few stipulations (GEAR!). I've been ordering all kinds of stuff that I'll need. I'm not looking forward to diving into the carbs, but that's what I'll be looking at next.

Last futzed with by CZroe; June 12th, 2012 at 05:59 PM.

Old June 12th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #36
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

Really?? When/why did you pick up another one, good deal? That would be awesome!! And yeah, i understand. You've been ordering stuff for what?

Oh and i was going to let you know that i have about 5 oil filters for the ninja that your free to have, and maybe some oil and other misc parts probably that you can take if you want them.

Old June 12th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #37
gilmorec61
ninjette.org guru

oh and what year is the second ninja you bought?

Old June 12th, 2012, 05:14 PM   #38
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Supposedly a '95 engine with a '98 frame but title says '97. The beter question is, "which generation?" even though the answer is equally complex: BOTH! There are a significant amount of '08-'12 newgen parts too. I bought @Jiggyfly's pregen race bike with newgen wheels, swingarm, brakes, front fender, etc.

I'm going to try to get a Koso RX2 on there (haven't seen a pregen with one) because there is no mechanical speedo sender/meter gear, though it might work with a newgen one (can't tell because my front stand broke). I've already added newgen rearsets/pegs/pedals, sprocket cover, frame caps, etc. I plan to get a streamlined Airtech race fairing (no mirror, blinker, turn signal, or headlight holes) and use 650R turn signals on it while cutting a custom headlight opening. I plan to "streamline" the windscreen right into it and then outline a sportier false windscreen design with vinyl strips. Bar end mirrors, cowl-line seat cover, powder-coated wheels, and more are all in the works. I'm going broke but I just had to see this done by someone!

Before it can be ridden, the major work I know it still needs the brakes bled, the coolant flushed, the carbs jetted, the tires changed, the wiring harness switched (included), a chain installed, etc. It also needs a serious once-over. Lots of stuff isn't attached but even the stuff that is needs to be checked. I found that it was missing an engine mount bolt and, when installing a replacement I obtained, I found that the others had no nuts on the other side.

Old June 12th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #39
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilmorec61 View Post
You guys are too funny Well guys, after being in the mountains for a week I'm finally back! Feeling alot better, thinking much clearer since the accident. Not exactly sure yet the how bad my concussion was, going in Thursday to get it checked out. Broken bones suck:/ This is the first bone ive broken, and i hope my last. It turned out that instead of a hairline fracture, it was a complete break of the main bone(the big one) in my arm/wrist. Soooo, im supposedly stuck in a cast half my summer And probably without a bike the whole summer until the settlement arrives. Anyways just wanted to update everyone!

And Emmett, sorry for not responding to your texts a while back!
Hey, at least you can walk!
AFM #676

Old June 14th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #40
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

sorry to hear about your bad luck!! glad you are okay though for the most part (still alive and smiling with your awesome chest hair/cat-like furball type hair growth)!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote