ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:43 AM   #1
RaidenQ
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r Special Edition

Lesson Learned: ALWAYS WEAR BOOTS!

Well hello everyone!

I just recently joined these forums (I made a post in the new riders area) but I think its time to tell you what happened to my poor ninejtte

This was the second day of owning my bike (yes.. second day..) and I had it parked next to my garage (its sort of a car lot area). It had been raining earlier so the roads were a little wet (mistake #1), so I decided to move my bike to the garage. I was able to push the bike and align it so all I had to do was ride the bike up a small hill into the garage. When I went to change footing (change the bike from neutral to first), I put my right foot down and.... It slipped from underneath me (I had running shoes on... stupid squid mistake). The bike landed on me on the right side and cracked the panel pretty badly. It also scratched the light (which I didn't care about) and the mirror.

Needless to say I was very angry and after finding out how much the stickers on one side of a panel cost (I almost had a heart attack) I decided to just remove all the stickers except for the ninja logo.

Lesson Learned: WEAR BOOTS because they have better grip then running shoes!
RaidenQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:46 AM   #2
RaidenQ
ninjette.org newbie

And I just realized I spelt "Always" wrong haha..

Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:52 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Relevant poll

Glad you're OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenQ View Post
/fixed.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:00 AM   #4
nst416
A Ninja Riding Ninja

Name: Kan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidenQ View Post
You also spelled "spelt" wrong. lol
But glad you're ok. Sorry to hear about your bike though.

Spelt:

noun
a wheat, Triticum aestivum spelta, native to southern Europe and western Asia, used chiefly for livestock feed.
nst416 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:34 AM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
It was wet, it is possible that not even boots would have saved you. In the wet or a loose surface you have to ensure your footing no matter your footwear.

Sorry and good luck with the repairs.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:44 AM   #6
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Sorry to hear about your new ninjette. Sounds like you should've more carefully transferred the weight of the bike onto your right leg.

I don't think motorcycle boots are necessarily grippy. We wear them for weather protection and for crushing and abrasion protection in the event we crash.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2012, 10:54 AM   #7
RaidenQ
ninjette.org newbie

Well the shoes I had on were old and were basically as flat as can be. The boots I have on seem to grip the road better when I am at a stop. To me this is more of a lesson to always wear all your gear because I've always questioned wearing the boots.

Thankfully the panel was repaired by one of my friend's dads for really cheap. I just refuse to pay over 300 dollars for stickers haha.

It just sucks because I had the bike for only 2 days. That's some really bad luck on my part haha.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 11:39 AM   #8
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

M/c boots are not grippy... they can be just as slippery on wet surfaces... they are not likely to slip off, though, compared to street shoes / sandals when maneuvering around the garage.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2012, 04:33 PM   #9
Jay72
ninjette.org member

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Sucks fellow Canadian, but I don't think many of us go ATGATT just to move our bike out of the rain, I think it was just more of a new rider mistake,
Jay72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #10
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

yes, mine won't prevent slippage either. On tuesday I was trying to pedal backwards as I crossed a white line at a light, and I still slipped on some oily substance. it gave me a heart attack lol.
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Many motorcycle boots ARE designed to be a bit better about oil and slick spots, even if they aren't particularly "grippy."
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #12
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay72 View Post
Sucks fellow Canadian, but I don't think many of us go ATGATT just to move our bike out of the rain, I think it was just more of a new rider mistake,
this.

i move my bike around with topsiders, flip flops, barefoot, etc. all the time. it's incredibly unrealistic to put on boots to move the bike around.

I came close to dropping it once when I pulled up to park one day, and somehow, I got the brute force to keep the thing upright.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #13
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Like the others have said, in some situations a different pair of footwear might not help. Mainly the road surface you are on plays a role. Being wet doesn't help that much either. Hope you get her repaired here soon.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #14
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

I've always understood that motorcycle boots are actually a bit more slippery compared to say, a work boot or something. Reasoning being if you scrape it on the ground while cornering it is more likely to slide, whereas a work boot will grip better and possibly mess you up. It makes sense, I've rode in my work boots before and they have caught the ground and they catch it pretty damn quickly!
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2012, 10:04 AM   #15
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty nasty View Post
I've always understood that motorcycle boots are actually a bit more slippery compared to say, a work boot or something. Reasoning being if you scrape it on the ground while cornering it is more likely to slide, whereas a work boot will grip better and possibly mess you up. It makes sense, I've rode in my work boots before and they have caught the ground and they catch it pretty damn quickly!
Ah! Also: If I was sliding along the ground I wouldn't want my boots to grip hard and jolt my legs.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #16
Miles_Prower
One Loyal Fox

Name: Rahul

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R (RIP), 2011 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
Ah! Also: If I was sliding along the ground I wouldn't want my boots to grip hard and jolt my legs.
yep thats also an added function of all the plastic. when i went a slidin' the plastic ankle protector and heel protector slid along the pavement. sure they got a little chewed, but at least my lower legs were safe!
Miles_Prower is offline   Reply With Quote