ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Darkspy72
ninjette.org member

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2012

What Gear Should I be in?

I have seen tons of post circling the question I have but few to none that actually ask/answer it. So:

How do you personally decide which gear to take a corner in? Assume mostly flat not drastically uphill or down (unless you want to share but if so specify). Do you aim for a certain RPM? If so what? A particular RPM depending on the speed? Will the radius of the turn affect your decision? What about more or less lean? inconsequential? Going through a turn of course will add RPM with lean, and you'll add more with the acceleration through. Do you leave room for that addition? If so how much? Do you aim to hit the sweet spot as you enter as you exit or somewhere inbetween? Are there other rules that govern your choice as you approach or do you look for a certain feel?

Note: a lot of these questions assume that you don't answer by saying "X changes your speed, and your speed changes your gear." That's obvious. I'm asking for direct correlations even if they are slight.

Some of these questions I know what I do but am interested in other peoples' responses. Others I just don't know yet. Thanks.
Darkspy72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:37 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

No perfect answer. Only advice I can share is that the engine shouldn't be screaming, and shouldn't be lugging. So the revs can't be so high that you're likely to need to upshift while still accelerating out of the corner. And shouldn't be so low that any throttle input you apply while in the corner does nothing to affect the attitude of the bike because there is too little torque. On the ninjette, that means I'd like to be within 6k and 9k for most corners, as it provides room on either end.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:43 PM   #3
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

If i'm on a spirited ride I'll hit the corners at 8-9K.

Normal riding ~6K is as low as I like to enter corners. Anything lower and you'll be lugging the motor.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:47 PM   #4
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Too many questions to answer in on post.

As far as "what gear should you be in?" it could be any but probably 2nd to 5th mattering on the turn. RPM's could be 4-10k

It all matters about what kind of turn it is and what you're trying to do, even I'm not going balls out all the time.

These thing really come down more to feel. I suggest checking out some instructional videos or books, and then get out there and ride.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:47 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
dainese

Old October 3rd, 2012, 01:57 PM   #6
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

I don't really check the gear or rpm's. Mainly because conditions vary esp. road conditions, traffic and also depends on how familiar I am with the road...

If I feel the bike ain't happy with the gear/rpm's while entering the corner, then I might downshift or upshift depending on the situation.

I go with the feel and try to improve my skills (gauging entry speed, taking the right line through the curve ...etc) by not really looking at the instrument cluster.. Not sure if this is the right way to do it… because personally I feel you can get knowledge about how to be a better rider from reading textbooks….but there is no real substitute for real world experience and your application of the textbook knowledge during those 'oops' moments
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:00 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
You should watch TOTW2. All your questions are answered where they cover the "11 factors that are effected by your turn in point". Do yourself a favor and watch it.

If you need the links to the youtube vids, lemme know and I will link them.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:08 PM   #8
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

What ever gear puts me right at 7500RPM's so that when I do my roll-on, its passing through the powerband as I'm increasing throttle.

You have to learn your bike, and what gear for what speed. It varies...there is no one size fits all gear for corners.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:16 PM   #9
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirubhaiambani View Post
I don't really check the gear or rpm's. Mainly because conditions vary esp. road conditions, traffic and also depends on how familiar I am with the road...

If I feel the bike ain't happy with the gear/rpm's while entering the corner, then I might downshift or upshift depending on the situation.

I go with the feel and try to improve my skills (gauging entry speed, taking the right line through the curve ...etc) by not really looking at the instrument cluster.. Not sure if this is the right way to do it… because personally I feel you can get knowledge about how to be a better rider from reading textbooks….but there is no real substitute for real world experience and your application of the textbook knowledge during those 'oops' moments
Great advice. Happy bike equals happy rider, and vice versa.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 02:18 PM   #10
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

There is no downshift while leaned over for me....only upshifts. Too easy to disrupt the suspension or traction with downshifts. Downshifts happen PRIOR to the actual turn.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspy72 View Post
.........Going through a turn of course will add RPM with lean, and you'll add more with the acceleration through.........
Actually, leaning the bike keeps rpm constant and slows the bike down.

The proper acceleration rate should be 0.1~0.2 g, which means gaining 2.2~4.4 mph each second during the turn.

Smoothness is way more important than rpms':

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...?showtopic=540
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 3rd, 2012, 07:22 PM   #12
Z300
Ninja noobie

Name: NOOBIE

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r

Keep riding and you will know mostly by the engine " the engine shouldn't be screaming, and shouldn't be lugging" keep riding you will develop the skills
Z300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 04:48 AM   #13
Jim Moore
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Ninjette, 98 CBR600, 98 VFR800, 2000 BMW R1100RS, Kymco Movie 150

If you're riding enthusiastically you should shoot for the upper third of the rpm range. If you're on the track you should pick a gear that allows you to hit red line at just about the point where you hit the rumble strips on the outside of the track after the turn.

Old October 4th, 2012, 04:57 AM   #14
lgk
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
dainese
$1400 worth?

Old October 4th, 2012, 05:54 AM   #15
Darkspy72
ninjette.org member

Thanks to everyone for the advice. Like I said I all ready have a turn process but It's the area I'm trying to hone right now and the info is really helping me pinpoint where I need to be. It's helpful to know what other people do. In response to some things:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Actually, leaning the bike keeps rpm constant and slows the bike down.

The proper acceleration rate should be 0.1~0.2 g, which means gaining 2.2~4.4 mph each second during the turn.

Smoothness is way more important than rpms':

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/in...?showtopic=540
I am reading TOTW2 and according to him when you lean over you decrease the radius of the wheel which in turn increases RPM's. about 500RPM on average lean the man says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
You should watch TOTW2. All your questions are answered where they cover the "11 factors that are effected by your turn in point". Do yourself a favor and watch it.

If you need the links to the youtube vids, lemme know and I will link them.
Like I said I'm reading it. Even specifically looked for this question, but they don't have the section you mentioned listed in the index. I've looked for the video because I think it would be way more helpful. I love to read but there is so much that would be much better to see. Anyway it appears that Keith has had YouTube remove them all. All I can find is interviews, ads, and reviews on it. If you can find the actually video links I would be very grateful.

Also I suppose I should answer the question too:

I try to aim for at least 6K right at the roll on but often come in low due to last second braking. I NEVER shift inside a turn. I was under the impression that removing power from the back wheel in a turn could be very bad. Is it ok if you powershift? So far I've seen no reason to facter in radius, lean, or the like directly into the actual gear choice. Speed is king. Also as some have said, once I'm in the turn I can't look away from the road and have to go by feel. I check my RPM on exit and it never adds what I think it should which probably means I need to hit a higher RPM on entry. I almost always try to aim for at least a quarter turn throttle through the turns.

Old October 4th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

You can watch it here, starting at part 4, 12:00 minutes in and lasts until near the end of the part 6. Pay special attention to the downshifting portion of part 6 as it directly addresses your questions.

I personally think you have asked the questions in a backward kinda way. Which makes it harder to get a complete answer. Sometimes to get a good answer, you have to rewrite/rethink the question a little.

So far, the best piece of info you have received in this thread is "a happy bike equals a happy rider". But that doesn't tell you how to get a happy bike now does it? You get a happy bike by; setting your turn in point, turn in speed and setting a line through the corner that allows for good throttle control and working suspension.

If you can get your turn in point, entry speed and line right AND you know how to get the most power out of your 250, that tells you what gear you should be in for any given corner. After some time, a rider can feel and learn the sound of 8k and above on their 250. This keeps their focus on whats ahead by keeping their eyes on the road and their reference points.

What the video doesn't cover is how to get the most out of your 250. Everyone here knows that if you want any power and drive out of a corner, the rpms must be at/above 8k on entry. So as you downshift for any given corner, find the gear that gives you about 8k on entry, while sticking to the other cornering guidelines as well.

[aggressive riding.... not for street]
And.... while less than WOT may be a good roll for a specific corner, if the tire has the traction and the road surface has the grip, it's fairly common to "pin it" at the apex on a 250.
[/aggressive riding]

Watch the video and if anything is unclear, feel free to ask more questions and we will do our best to help out.

Hey.... Missed you at Putnam on the 23rd. Hope all is well.

Old October 4th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #17
flynjay
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 (sold), '06 Ninja 650R

6K is a little low to aim for, if you undershoot you will have no power in the turn. Aiming for 7K should work better for you.

You really shouldn't shift in a turn, but it's not the end of the world if you do. I would do a regular shift before trying a power shift in a turn. Abrupt changes are an absolute negative while leaned over, recipe for a lowside.
flynjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 07:48 AM   #18
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkspy72 View Post
...I am reading TOTW2 and according to him when you lean over you decrease the radius of the wheel which in turn increases RPM's. about 500RPM on average lean the man says.
Note that Code is describing a special case, for Turn One at Brainerd International Raceway, which is "a narrow but very high-speed banked right-hand 60-degree turn, which is intended be taken flat out by all vehicles."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainer...tional_Raceway

Those 500 rpm increment in an engine that was at max 13,000 rpm before entering that curve with all its available momentum is just a 4%, enough to cut the engine off and create problems for that specific turn.

I believe that your question is about a regular turn, for which you slow down and select an entry speed and entry rpm.

Yes, when banked, the engine naturally picks up some rpm and the bike slows down, unless you feed more gas to keep a constant speed (an extra increment in rpms').

Your entry rpm should be low enough to accommodate those increments, plus the sustained acceleration for weight distribution, without hitting the redline at the exit of the turn.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
without hitting the redline at the exit of the turn
where is the fun in that?!?!?!?!

hahahahaha jk yo

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #20
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Pin it to win it yall

Old October 4th, 2012, 09:39 AM   #21
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
ATGIEC

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2012, 08:49 AM   #22
nycsteve
Biker

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavison View Post
what ever gear puts me right at 7500rpm's so that when i do my roll-on, its passing through the powerband as i'm increasing throttle.

You have to learn your bike, and what gear for what speed. It varies...there is no one size fits all gear for corners.
this.
nycsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 5th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #23
Darkspy72
ninjette.org member

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I took my brother to the twisties last night after work. His first ride there despite riding about a year longer than me. Being so used to keeping the bike in really low RPMs (probably still mindstuck from the break-in) running it in 7-10 felt all wrong, but the power difference was undeniable. Laying on the gas really yanks me through the turn now. So thanks for that. I still have to watch the TOTW2. I would do it during lunch but my computer at work doesn't have sound

PS - to CSmith12, Yeah I was sorry about the 23rd. Something came up at the last minute. My guess is you won't be out there again this year with the weather. Let me know when you do though.

Old October 5th, 2012, 04:14 PM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

np good sir, there is always next season