ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:14 AM   #1
Zola
40 on the road

Name: Vod

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2012 Ninja 650, 2006 Bonneville, 1990 Sportster

December in the Finger Lakes

A December ride report from the balmy Finger Lakes. It happens.

On December 1, our 2008 Ninja 250 completed its 5th season of flawless operation.

It is ‘officially’ my wife’s motorcycle. LT and I will ride together a few times each season season. Four or five, ‘Picnic Rides’ – 100 miles, plus or minus, 2.5 – 3.5 hours, with a meal or a walk in the middle; and a couple of full day rides – off mid-morning and back just before dusk. While she doesn’t ride a lot and enjoys it when we do, she really likes the idea of having her ‘own’ bike. It appears your ‘own’ bike is a very cool item when your… I can’t reveal her age without getting into the sand (but it begins with a 6 and ends with an 8). You didn’t hear that here.

The carburetion has been perfect from the beginning; easy starting, quick warm-ups, never a hesitation off idle, smoothly pulling red line in every gear - simply sweet. Yesterday was no exception.

By early afternoon the temperature hit the high 40’s. The roads were dry, time to go. LT took her final ride last week. We rode to a favorite hamburger joint up near the Lake Ontario shore. The temperature was 48 when we left and dropped as we rode north toward the lake so I was sure that I was on my own for this one.

Ontario County, New York is a beautiful place to ride, even if you only have 30 minutes. There are several outstanding 20-mile loops from our home and I chose my favorite, the Bristol valley, for the December 1st ride.

The Ninja 250 is the motorcycle I ride the least but my first choice for short, light-em-up blasts. You all know how much fun it is to flick this motorcycle through turns, the smooth transmission, the light pull at the clutch lever and decent brakes.

Today she’ll be winterized, covered and put away until the spring (the bike, not my wife) while I wait for the chance to ride the rest of the herd one more time before Lake Ontario snow does its worst.
Zola is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:16 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Nice work.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 01:56 PM   #4
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zola View Post
A December ride report from the balmy Finger Lakes. It happens.

On December 1, our 2008 Ninja 250 completed its 5th season of flawless operation.

It is ‘officially’ my wife’s motorcycle. LT and I will ride together a few times each season season. Four or five, ‘Picnic Rides’ – 100 miles, plus or minus, 2.5 – 3.5 hours, with a meal or a walk in the middle; and a couple of full day rides – off mid-morning and back just before dusk. While she doesn’t ride a lot and enjoys it when we do, she really likes the idea of having her ‘own’ bike. It appears your ‘own’ bike is a very cool item when your… I can’t reveal her age without getting into the sand (but it begins with a 6 and ends with an 8). You didn’t hear that here.

The carburetion has been perfect from the beginning; easy starting, quick warm-ups, never a hesitation off idle, smoothly pulling red line in every gear - simply sweet. Yesterday was no exception.

By early afternoon the temperature hit the high 40’s. The roads were dry, time to go. LT took her final ride last week. We rode to a favorite hamburger joint up near the Lake Ontario shore. The temperature was 48 when we left and dropped as we rode north toward the lake so I was sure that I was on my own for this one.

Ontario County, New York is a beautiful place to ride, even if you only have 30 minutes. There are several outstanding 20-mile loops from our home and I chose my favorite, the Bristol valley, for the December 1st ride.

The Ninja 250 is the motorcycle I ride the least but my first choice for short, light-em-up blasts. You all know how much fun it is to flick this motorcycle through turns, the smooth transmission, the light pull at the clutch lever and decent brakes.

Today she’ll be winterized, covered and put away until the spring (the bike, not my wife) while I wait for the chance to ride the rest of the herd one more time before Lake Ontario snow does its worst.
Love the report; thanks for sharing!

Corning was looking to recruit me at some point so I got to experience the Finger Lakes a bit, looked beautiful....except I was there in February

Also, can I ask how you like the Bonneville? Likely to be my next bike and would love to hear from somebody who has both the Ninjette and the Bonnie.
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Zola
40 on the road

The Bonneville

I got the Bonneville Blacknew in 2006. It is a nice naked - nothing special in terms of performance but predictable handling and a great looking machine. I picked up a 2012 Ninja 650 this past spring and much prefer it to the Bonneville for all-around riding. More horsepower, torque, similar handling, similar ergos, better braking.

I did have issues with the Bonnie. The stock seat is a brick and was replaced with the factory gel - big improvement. The paint was soft (a common problem that year) and I purchased a factory tank cover to hide the prominent swirling. The front brake rotor warped (another common problem that year) and Triumph replaced the the entire front wheel and rotor assembly including new rubber without hesitation.

I ride it less than the Ninja 650 and more than the Sportster. It is very nice for day rides on the back county roads or when ever you want to meet someone who has a story from 'back in the day'. The 650 is more versatile. The Sportster is transport to lunch and a lovely sculpture. The 250 - always great fun to ride a slow bike fast - and we know how much fun it is to ride the ninjette hard.

When the kids (all grown-ass men now they tell me) visit I put them on the 650 and ride the Bonneville. My wife will ride the Ninjette and after riding we'll sit around a fire and admire the Sportster. Hope this helps.

Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:42 PM   #6
OCMagnum
ninjette.org member

Name: OC

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750, 2012 Ducati Monster 696 (sold), 2012 Ninja 250 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zola View Post
I got the Bonneville Blacknew in 2006. It is a nice naked - nothing special in terms of performance but predictable handling and a great looking machine. I picked up a 2012 Ninja 650 this past spring and much prefer it to the Bonneville for all-around riding. More horsepower, torque, similar handling, similar ergos, better braking.

I did have issues with the Bonnie. The stock seat is a brick and was replaced with the factory gel - big improvement. The paint was soft (a common problem that year) and I purchased a factory tank cover to hide the prominent swirling. The front brake rotor warped (another common problem that year) and Triumph replaced the the entire front wheel and rotor assembly including new rubber without hesitation.

I ride it less than the Ninja 650 and more than the Sportster. It is very nice for day rides on the back county roads or when ever you want to meet someone who has a story from 'back in the day'. The 650 is more versatile. The Sportster is transport to lunch and a lovely sculpture. The 250 - always great fun to ride a slow bike fast - and we know how much fun it is to ride the ninjette hard.

When the kids (all grown-ass men now they tell me) visit I put them on the 650 and ride the Bonneville. My wife will ride the Ninjette and after riding we'll sit around a fire and admire the Sportster. Hope this helps.
Awesome feedback, thanks Zola. Maybe not as enthusiastic a recommendation as I had
hoped for, but great to get real life comments from a rider able to compare 1 to 1.

Much appreciate your time to respond
OCMagnum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Ben M
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Good ride report! I just moved down to NC from Newark a few months ago, not far from Victor. I like the weather much better down here though! It was 70 today!
Ben M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:11 PM   #8
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I love that area of NY. I have family in Ithica, so I've been in that area plenty.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:36 PM   #9
Zola
40 on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M View Post
Good ride report! I just moved down to NC from Newark a few months ago, not far from Victor. I like the weather much better down here though! It was 70 today!
Right you are. Today was 55 and sunny. Tomorrow, low 60's showers in the afternoon. Wednesday, -10, snow, high wind. LOL

Old December 3rd, 2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Zola
40 on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I love that area of NY. I have family in Ithica, so I've been in that area plenty.
I've read about some very nice riding in southeast Ohio. Any comments?

Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:02 PM   #11
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I've heard it's nice down in Hocking hills and near OU, but I've never been there tbh. That's like 3 hours just to get there, plus whatever riding I do there.

I'll get there eventually.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote