ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old January 13th, 2013, 09:29 PM   #1
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Name: Heather

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Green SE, '13 Ninja 636 Pearl White

Question Full leather suit for track day

Just signed up for my first track day in June (yippee!) and am looking for suggestions/tip/tricks on buying full-leather suits.

What I do know: I want a ladies 1-piece suit with armor and velcro patches for pucks that are replaceable. My goal is to get knee down this year and am hoping that this all-women track day gets me there!

What I don't know: recommended brands, fitting guide tips, and most importantly what the women think of their own suits/gear or have heard from other women.

I'm 5'3" 125 lbs. Hoping maybe someone has an idea or suggestion of where to start. Even favorite things about their own suits.

Thanks all!

Old January 13th, 2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

I dont know much about women's sizing but we have around the same build, if you cant find a 1 piece then look at the sedici 2 piece suit from cyclegear. I have slid down the road with it and it held up great
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #3
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
You probably want to try hitting up one the racing club forums because ladies who race will have the answers your looking for and they are mostly concentrated there.

but maybe @Zombiphone could help out
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Let's start with a budget. It will be the deciding factor in the end.

Suits are all over the place with sizing but come in 3 size types;
UK sizing
US sizing
and S/M/L (stay away from those unless you can try them on before you buy)

There are 2 main types; one piece and two piece. With the general idea that one piece suites are better for sliding at speed, hence better for track days.

Start with the following brands and work you way down in price;

1. Held
2. Dainese
3. Alpine Stars
4. AGV Sport
5. Shift
6. Heroic
7. Spartan

There are other brands that are great too.

Regarding sizing... Most suits run an inch small per sizing. It's always best to try a few brands on before you buy to get a general idea of what size you where. If your a 40 in a suit, you will be a 40 in most others as well.

While you height and weight are factors in your suit sizing, individual body part/area measurements are preferred. Click here and scroll down for "Women's Suit Sizing"

From much experience you want a suit that can allow you to move freely but still be tight enough to keep armor pieces in place during an "event". Next would be air flow. Suits are hot.... not a little hot either. You will want good airflow for hot weather riding. Also account for undergarments that are skin tight that allow for getting the suit on and off easily.

Next you will want to leave room for a back and chest protector. The suit you buy may come with one or both but it's common for those to be removed and another (better) to be put in their place.

Found anything that you like so far?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #5
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

Definitely go with a lady-specific suit because men's fit completely different. My wife bought a Spidi Hook 2 piece years ago and loves it. It has a 360 degree zipper to attach the pants to the jacket and came with the knee pucks. We ordered online after consulting Spidi's sizing chart and it was a perfect fit. I've had great luck with Spidi and am on my second. I would recommend sticking with the Italian names. Good luck and have fun at the track. Its very addicting and basically ruined street riding for me.

Old January 13th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #6
the_little_one
ninjette.org member

Name: Bonnie

Motorcycle(s): Yoshi 250

I am 5' 115 Lbs, and I tried on a few Dainese and Alpinestars (two piece, not one piece, but sizing will be similar), and I am closest to a size 38. I think with your measurements a size 40 Euro will fit well, but do try different brands, as they will all fit slightly different. It depends how you are shaped.

Chris' suggestions ^^ are spot on.

For me, I could not find any pants that fit, so I went with custom made pants from Z-Custom Leathers to match my Alpinestars jacket.
the_little_one is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 13th, 2013, 10:52 PM   #7
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

So much wonderful info!!

I've spent the last hour looking at sizing charts and measuring myself over (and over and over...)

I'm definitely getting a lady specific suit. I was worried that I was sitting at half measurements being a size 4 and half a size 6. With the recommendation to consider air flow, undergarments, and additional protectors I'm pretty sure I would stand in a size 6 or Euro 42.

I have an option to purchase a Teknic Vixen (size 8) at an awesome price, but I think it will be just too big for me. Pretty sure after two kids I'm sticking with my size...

I just checked out CycleGear online and they have the Sedici ladies suits on sale so I might run to the local outlet and see if they have any I can try on for better sizing. The hardest thing I've found is that it seems none of the local stores carry women gear. I've had to have my latest jacket ordered in as well as my boots.

I am considering an Alpinestar or Dainese (which also happen to be on sale with CycleGear so thank you for that suggestion!).

Any other considerations to make??

Old January 13th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #8
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

And I would like to add that it seems someone has to make suits geared for shorter women. I am by no means a large girl but after two kids my hips/chest/waist sizes are in clothing that is, according to the sizing charts, about 5" to 7" too long for me. I am going to check out the racing forums. Right now a custom suit is just not in our budget but I'm not sure how to go about shortening a one-piece.

Old January 13th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Some good info here. For off the rack suits, unfortunately several of the high end brands don't bother with women's one pieces, but definitely keep an eye out for:

-Dainese
-Alpinestars
-Spidi
-RS Taichi (If you're baller)
-AXO

Or for a custom suit, if nothing seems to fit right, there's the affore mentioned Spartan, as well as:

-Hazardous Racing
-Pilot Leathers
-NJK Leathers
-Ballistik
-ACT Racing

Some of these custom suits are actually less pricey than off the rack (for example), so they could be the most bang for your buck. I've seen most of these brands crash tested plenty of times, and I've personally crash tested some Dainese stuff at high (for a 250) and moderate speeds with quite satisfactory results.

If it ever gets above 90 up there, I second trying to find a suit with perforation (and also consider white over black). I currently have the Dainese Victoria suit which I'm incredibly happy with and is fully perfed, but whatever you go with, just make sure to watch for that. I didn't think about it when I got my first race suit, which the world made sure to punish me for the first time I did a trackday in 110 degree weather.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 12:27 AM   #10
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
I'm 5'2" and 110; I tried on a Dainese Victoria with a back protector on and size 42 hit me dead on. The suit is also gorgeous and I highly recommend it, at least in a "it fits right and looks good" way -- I'm budgeting up to purchase one now for my own June first track day
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 14th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Check out spartan leathers for custom made suits without breaking the bank.

Old January 21st, 2013, 11:17 PM   #12
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

Thank you so much for all the advice! I found a Spidi one-piece this weekend and love it. It's a tad bit bigger but once I get the spine protector in with gloves and boots it works wonderfully. Even got to take the bike out to test my new gear!

Old January 22nd, 2013, 05:37 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Old January 22nd, 2013, 01:54 PM   #14
SMman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danger

Motorcycle(s): 15 CBR300R, 14 BWS50, 09 FZ1, 09 Ninja 250, 06 CRF450R Motard, 03 ZX-6R

Congrats and great choice going with Spidi, They even sent me a bunch of stickers for my race bodywork. Great company with quality gear and service.

Old September 10th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #15
RedPepper64
Kawi Girl

I know I'm dragging this out of the dirt again and looking for some additional help from the ladies. The track bug is a hit and I want to get a suit that fits better than the aforementioned Spidi. Presently looking into the custom Pilots from a local tailoring/leather shop. Or another custom suit. I would love a Dainese suit I seem to be stuck with the height/weight proportion issue. If one were to buy custom, who would you suggest to work through? I am big on word-of-mouth referrals. Thanks!

Old September 10th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Buy the suit you like and send it to Barnacle Bill for custom fitting. You can't go wrong with hand crafted leathers or his alterations.

http://www.racingleather.com/

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 10th, 2013, 01:21 PM   #17
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPepper64 View Post
I know I'm dragging this out of the dirt again and looking for some additional help from the ladies. The track bug is a hit and I want to get a suit that fits better than the aforementioned Spidi. Presently looking into the custom Pilots from a local tailoring/leather shop. Or another custom suit. I would love a Dainese suit I seem to be stuck with the height/weight proportion issue. If one were to buy custom, who would you suggest to work through? I am big on word-of-mouth referrals. Thanks!
I'm a big time Helimot supporter and I asked a female racer friend of mine one time why she doesn't wear a Helimot suit and she said he can make a lady suit fit right at all. She said she loves her pilot custom suit so much better.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #18
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I haven't worked with them personally, but several local racers and track riders have gone through Arsenal Leatherworks and seem to be absolutely in love with them. One is a smaller gal who was gushing over how a custom made suit felt much more comfortable than the suit she had before.

https://www.facebook.com/arsenal.leatherworks
http://www.hookit.com/brands/arsenalleathers/
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote