ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:13 PM   #1
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

Rain Rain go away, all your wetness makes me cray!

So I'm no Shakespeare or Tupac, but it sums up my feelings about this weather that just moved in on Memphis.

Jono knows what I'm talkin' about...

Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:27 PM   #2
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I know exactly what your talking about. The weather pattern this year seems very strange.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:28 PM   #3
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
It's def a wet week around here, and I'm not about riding in the wet if I have a choice not to
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I know exactly what your talking about. The weather pattern this year seems very strange.
****ing terrorists and their weather dominator
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
****ing terrorists and their weather dominator
Yea right. If the terrorists had this technology they would make it rain in the Saudi Arabian desert.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
It's Bill Gates. He has plans ya know. "Cloud Computing" is real!!! lol
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2013, 12:53 PM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
So I'm no Shakespeare or Tupac, but it sums up my feelings about this weather that just moved in on Memphis.
You are not alone...........

I am getting ready to get soaked in my way back home.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ready to get soaked.JPG (112.0 KB, 7 views)
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

why is everyone so scared of riding in the rain? You barely get wet at all if you are moving
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:36 PM   #9
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Boo hoo, it's been wet and near freezing all winter here, learn to feel comfortable riding in the rain and it'll make you a better biker.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:45 PM   #10
MaximumHP
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

We've had maybe 5 good riding days this spring, heck it's still snowing up here, just to the northwest of me they got another 7 inches last night!
MaximumHP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2013, 02:05 PM   #11
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

I'm not scared to ride in the rain at all. I actually rode to and from lunch in the rain today. But I think we can all agree that seeing near-solid rain for a month is less-than-exciting.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:03 PM   #12
soggybottom
Aimless

Name: rory

Motorcycle(s): 01 ninja 250

I have no sympathy. We got 8 inches of heavy, wet snow today.

Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:40 PM   #13
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I hate riding in the rain. I do my suspension service every 6000 miles. It's annoying. Rain riding = more frequent suspension service. Besides, I bought the bike as a fun toy. Riding a motorcycle in the rain and just sitting there is not fun in my books.

However riding a bicycle or running in the rain (as long as it's a warm rain) is another story
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

Last time I rode in the rain I went 30 miles on the highway in a monsoon I get 3 miles from home and washed out on the road guess bikes cant swim.
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2013, 06:56 PM   #15
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
why is everyone so scared of riding in the rain? You barely get wet at all if you are moving
It's not the rain I am scared about. It's the retarded drivers in this city. They are bad enough when it isn't raining. I have a car, might as well use it for rainy days. Plus sliding around in a car is fun. Losing grip on a motorcycle, not so much. Haha.

Quote:
I'm not scared to ride in the rain at all. I actually rode to and from lunch in the rain today. But I think we can all agree that seeing near-solid rain for a month is less-than-exciting.

Yeah, this weather sucks. But I mean, it is musicfest (mudfest) weekend. We could have guessed that it would be raining this weekend. But 40 degrees and rain in May. That's rough.

I want some sun! I hate cloudy days, rainy days, cold days. I need to move.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 12:54 AM   #16
sLick415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

It was about 85 here in SF. Just saying.
sLick415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:10 AM   #17
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
But I mean, it is musicfest (mudfest) weekend. We could have guessed that it would be raining this weekend.
Good Point. Rain on Musicfest weekend is more reliable than a Farmer's Almanac.

Old May 3rd, 2013, 08:56 AM   #18
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

So true!

Old May 3rd, 2013, 07:42 PM   #19
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
i LOVE riding in the rain I prefer that over 100+ degree weather.

i still remember being the only motorcycle in fresno around that would be out riding in the flooded streets to get from point A to B. gud times.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #20
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ho...ng_in_the_wet/

"Riding in the Wet
Caution is the Hallmark of Rainy Days
By Jerry Smith

If you’re the kind of rider who isn’t going to let a little rain stop you from enjoying your sport, good for you. But if you’re also the kind of rider who thinks you can ride the same way in the wet as you do in the dry, all we ask is that you remember us in your will. Riding in the rain requires a change in technique––and more important, in attitude––to keep you from becoming just another of the many greasy smears on the road this winter.

It’s well known that the first rain of the season lifts up the oil and diesel deposited on the asphalt by car and truck traffic, leaving the pavement slick. But even after the slippery stuff washes away, paint stripes, tar snakes, and manhole covers remain, all with the traction equivalent of a silent-movie banana peel. Urban streets especially turn into low-grip minefields, so slow down in town, use your brakes gently, and don’t stop with your rear tire on a surface that could cause wheelspin when you take off. Get on and off the gas and brakes smoothly if you enjoy riding with both your wheels in line.

As parts of the U.S. highway system slouch toward parity with the Dakar Rally route, more and more road hazards go unrepaired, some of which are tricky to spot in winter. That seemingly broad, shallow puddle up ahead might really be a 6-inch-deep pothole filled to the brim with muddy water, just waiting to swallow up an unwary motorcyclist’s front wheel. Watch the cars up ahead to see what happens when they hit it. A big splash and bouncing taillights probably mean you’ll want to take the long way around.

Camouflaged sinkholes are just one of the reasons to slow down and increase your following distance to the car ahead. Cars might suck as transportation, but even in the rain they can outbrake you right out of your boots, and with modern soundproofing the driver might not even hear the thud of your bike hitting the trunk. Give the car ahead of you even more room than usual, and if you’re the one being tailgated, don’t get territorial and defend your piece of the road. Pull over and wave the space invader by, because the paramedics won’t have time to hear about how you stood your ground while they’re prying you and your bike out of the grille of a pick-up truck.

After you adjust your riding style for slick conditions, next comes the attitude check, and sometimes that’s the hardest part. For some riders who aren’t used to riding in bad weather, or aren’t ready for it when it happens, the harder the rain falls the higher their stress level rises. This stress manifests itself as a death grip on the bars, knees clamped tightly on the gas tank, and abrupt control inputs better suited to a round of Whack-A-Mole. Their lines through corners become choppy, and they wear themselves out trying to hold the bike upright against the awful crash they’re convinced is right around the next bend. Not only do all these reactions make that dreaded crash more likely, the fatigue they generate makes it harder to concentrate on the real dangers they need to watch out for in addition to the imaginary ones.

The cure is simple, but it takes practice and a willingness to explore the outer limits of your comfort zone. Next time it rains, suit up and go for a short ride, focusing your awareness on the road surface, the cars around you, and your own reactions. Do everything––accelerating, braking, cornering, changing lanes––smoothly and gently until it becomes instinctive. Ride as if all car drivers are blind, and you’re invisible, and react accordingly. Give the right of way freely, and don’t force the issue with drivers whose minds are obviously on something other than the road.

Increase the length of your rides as you get more comfortable, and one day you’ll find yourself sloshing down the road with the same confidence you have in the dry, along with a better outlook toward riding in bad weather.

Quick Facts

Track tires designed for maximum grip on dry pavement don’t have many sipes to channel water away from the contact patch, so they’re more prone to hydroplaning on standing water. Road tires have more sipes because they’re more likely to be ridden on wet roads. But even road tires can hydroplane if the water is deep enough, or if the speed of the bike is too high."

Old May 4th, 2013, 01:04 PM   #21
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

very true indeed and i never said it wasnt more dangerous. but i feel like when people say they dont want to ride in the rain, their main concern is getting wet which is foolish
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2013, 01:45 PM   #22
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
...........i feel like when people say they dont want to ride in the rain, their main concern is getting wet which is foolish
Specially if wearing suitable protective gear; I always arrive perfectly dry after going through a storm (textile jacket and overpants).

My most troublesome issue is the visor covered by drops, which impair my vision.

Old May 4th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #23
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Ain't skeered... just don't like it!!!

Old May 5th, 2013, 07:49 PM   #24
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Specially if wearing suitable protective gear; I always arrive perfectly dry after going through a storm (textile jacket and overpants).

My most troublesome issue is the visor covered by drops, which impair my vision.
For the drops stuck on your visor... So far I've figured out that if I turn my head side to side, they get blown off the visor easier.

There is a chance for rain tomorrow around lunch, but I'm VERY tempted to mount up around 0630 and head East toward Savannah, TN. Work for the morning from the Subway (with free Wifi), then ride through Shiloh battlefield at lunch, work the afternoon from KC's Espresso in Corinth, MS and then ride home around 4:30-5pm.

Old May 5th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #25
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Work for the morning from the Subway (with free Wifi), then ride through Shiloh battlefield at lunch, work the afternoon from KC's Espresso in Corinth, MS and then ride home around 4:30-5pm.
I need a job like that

Old May 6th, 2013, 06:06 AM   #26
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

"Global 3rd Party Logistics Interface Manager"

My company does 3rd party logistics/shipping/supply for several major electronics companies and I manage the systematic interface between us and our warehousing/shipping companies. Plus I'm a "regional" employee and my boss lives in Tampa, developers in Reynosa MX, Louisville, St. Pete FL plus some in Europe and Asia. No need for me to be tied to a cubicle. I have to admit, it's a pretty sweet job.

I'v been up on phone at 5am and had days with customer-issues that kept me up working until well after midnight, so it has it's ups and downs. I hesitate to comment on how things are going right now, lest I jinx it. LOL

BTW, didn't do the ride today. Too much going on for me to spend 6 hours riding today.

Old May 6th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #27
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
i LOVE riding in the rain I prefer that over 100+ degree weather.

i still remember being the only motorcycle in fresno around that would be out riding in the flooded streets to get from point A to B. gud times.
Should have seen me a few months ago in the rain... Bakersfield to Visalia every morning around 1 in the morning... More than a few nights of <40 degrees in the rain, with a hell of a cross wind.

Good times. Makes me snicker every time someone whines about the cold or the rain on their 15 minute commute. 2 months ago I switch to a route based in Selma instead, and suddenly it doesn't seem to matter how cold I am on the way home (although now it's not cold anyway, most days are near 60 on my way home) but when it was cold, hell, it was only 30 minutes.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 6th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #28
Jono

Quote:

BTW, didn't do the ride today. Too much going on for me to spend 6 hours riding today.

Wednesday looks better! These 20 degree below normal temps kinda suck. Last month I rode to Big Hill Pond State Park and back. It was nice.

If you ever end up riding your loop you should take HWY 57 instead of US72 on the way back. Although, Burgers & Stuff in Walnut, MS has some delicious milkshakes. So it makes up for the less scenic route.

Old May 6th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #29
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Good to know. I really have no reason for picking that route, just thought Shiloh was close enough to ride to and from in an easy day (and still get to work some).

This week is pretty crazy, because of soccer Tuesday and Wednesday nights at 6:40, and we are driving to Chattanooga after work Thursday for the weekend. Maybe I could trailer the bike out THERE!

Old May 6th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #30
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

polly view... polly view... polly wolly doodle all the day. glad ya got a decent job, sounds foreign to me