ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old July 5th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #1
zbreezy27
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Driven Clip-on Install

What's up guys,

So I got and installed my clip-ons today on my 2012 ninja 250. Let me first say that these improve the bike (in my opinion) 100%. To me the riding position is soooo much better than those bicycle stock handlebars. That being said let me explain some of the key points on my installation.

First: I tried to take the bar ends off of the handlebars. They have red lock-tite on the screws so they are a pain in the ass to get off. I've read that you need to take a blow torch to loosen them but I did it different. Since I didn't have a blow torch and didn't want to buy one, I used a pair of vice-grip pliers and a rubber mallet. Clamp the vice grips on the bar end and then hit it with a hammer. It will come loose and then just screw it off. If you want to re-use the bar-ends don't do this b/c there will be some scratches on them.

Second: is to disassemble the controls and both sides. It's just a couple bolts and screws pretty self-explanitory. Then un-bolt the handlebars and remove them.

Third: I ran into another problem with placing the handlebars under the triple-tree clamp b/c the clip ons don't open to simply "clip them on". So I had to un-bolt and take the triple-tree clamp off (you can use a rag and a pair of pliers to get the big bolt off).

Finally: Once you slide the clip-ons on, put the triple-tree clamp back on and assemble everything back onto the bars. After that it will take alot of adjusting to get them exactly how you want it.

It wasn't that bad of an install. Just takes patience. I would HIGHLY recommend these clip-ons if you are in the market for them. I forgot to mention that you can adjust the angle on them so you can have the bars angled down towards the ground if you want a more sporty ride style, which is one of the reasons I got them over the Woodcrafts. Cost is $170.99 on motorcyclesuperstore.com. If y'all have any questions feel free to ask.
zbreezy27 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old July 5th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #2
zbreezy27
ninjette.org member

Forgot 1 Key Step

You will have to drill a hole in the clip-on bars for the kill switch box and the turn signal box to be able to clip into the handlebars so they won't move during riding. Just take a couple measurements and use a drill bit to drill out. Or you can place everything on the bar where you want it and mark your hole that way. Pretty easy step but CRUCIAL.

Old July 6th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Great write-up !!!

Some good pictures would complete it
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #4
zbreezy27
ninjette.org member

yeah I'll work on getting some pictures up. I didn't take any of the process of the installation, but I'll mount the stock bars back on and take some comparison shots. I'll get them up by monday

Old July 8th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #5
zbreezy27
ninjette.org member

Photos

Alright here's the photos I said I would put up. Just took some showing the height difference of the stock bars vs. clip-ons
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (66.2 KB, 41 views)

Old July 8th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #6
zbreezy27
ninjette.org member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (86.0 KB, 35 views)

Old July 8th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #7
zbreezy27
ninjette.org member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (79.9 KB, 22 views)

Old July 8th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Not using the endbar weights may induce some steering wobbling.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #9
zbreezy27
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the heads up! I'm taking her out for longer rides this coming weekend to see how it holds up. I'll report back if anything seems out of the ordinary.

Old July 8th, 2013, 05:01 PM   #10
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nah, just a little buzzing. Going on 3 years here with WC bars and no bar end weights. No issues to report.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 03:34 AM   #11
arnoldc6
ninjette.org member

Name: Arnold

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

What is your riding posture like after installing your clip-on?
I was looking to get one to get a more forward-leaning post.

Plus, how bad do you think the installing part is? I have no mechanic background and unhooking every single control i have seems look a hugh deal

Old July 19th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #12
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnoldc6 View Post
What is your riding posture like after installing your clip-on?
I was looking to get one to get a more forward-leaning post.

Plus, how bad do you think the installing part is? I have no mechanic background and unhooking every single control i have seems look a hugh deal
It's real easy to install. I believe there's a how-to posted as well.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:45 AM   #13
zbreezy27
ninjette.org member

The riding posture is MUCH lower than the stock bars. It's a way more sporty feel. I don't believe it is as sporty has the bigger bikes (but I wouldn't know I've never sat on one), but it is great purchase if you are looking for a better riding position. It doesn't look like I'm riding a bicycle anymore lol.

As far as the install, it isn't bad at all. Just make sure you have the time to spend b/c it can be tedious at times. I also have no mechanic background and I completed the install with easy. Just got to have some patience b/c it does take some time.

Old July 26th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #14
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Love mine.

Here's my write-up from the sticky.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=97552
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote