ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old August 7th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The Pace 2.0

Nick Ienatsch has published an update to his seminal article from 20 years ago, "The Pace". The new article is in the August issue of Cycle World. In it he updates some of the concepts from the original article, and in most cases supports, clarifies, and amplifies those thoughts. In the new article he does talk quite a bit about what he's learned in that 20 year period, and much of it revolves around braking. I won't copy/paste the whole article here (google's your friend), but here's the snippet that deals with braking:

Quote:
The Bad

In The Pace I wrote that you might not see a brake light flash all day. This is misleading. Readers may feel that using the brakes is wrong and I should have been much clearer. Yes, up the Angeles Crest highway with almost no corners below 50 mph, you might not see many brake lights because we weren’t hammering the throttles on the straights. But if you went with us to Stunt Road in Malibu, you’d see brake lights…especially on the downhill run.

Brakes. Yes. To not only control your speed, but your steering geometry too. That is the biggest and most important clarification in The Pace 2.0: the use of brakes. To be clear: you go to the brakes anytime you need your speed controlled more than is possible by simply closing the throttle. The faster you ride, the more brakes you will use, all things (like lean angle) being equal. If you’re in the habit of slamming on the brakes at every corner entrance, you are definitely not riding The Pace and that big speed and abruptness will eventually hurt you. If you trail a little brake pressure into the occasional corner, you’ve got the right idea.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old August 7th, 2013, 01:05 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Subbed for later reading.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #3
Broc
ninjette.org member

Name: Broc

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Black - Sold / 2011 Honda CB1000R

Thanks for sharing. I loved the first article. Now to read the 2nd!
I try to convey this message about pace very often to fellow riders, especially on group rides.

Just adds to my comment about the abundance of usefully riding technique being discussed lately.

Old August 7th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Broc
ninjette.org member

Name: Broc

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Black - Sold / 2011 Honda CB1000R

Just read the article....I would really like to go to a class hosted by him. The mans words are gold.

I love how he used "points" to represent the grip of the tire. This is exactly it!
The braking part is also very very good and is seriously misunderstood by most riders. Sometimes I find these "rear brake" threads just ridiculous.

Old August 7th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #5
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Really like Nick Ienatsch's writing. I feel like his book and philosophy makes a lot more sense than Keith Code.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 7th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
is there a rule like "the pace" but for race practice? it's probably something like "go faster or get out of my way"

Old August 9th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
Really like Nick Ienatsch's writing. I feel like his book and philosophy makes a lot more sense than Keith Code.
I literally just got Ienatsch's book yesterday and am about halfway through it.

He's a better writer for sure. Not hard... Code has a rather convoluted and obtuse style that's hard to follow.

I write for a living, and found myself making a SR cheat sheet just so I could get through TOTW 2 without having to flip back to the beginning every five minutes. That says a lot.

I don't see it as one of these guys making more sense than the other. It's two distinctly different approaches to the same topic. Both have a lot to recommend them. Both have strong points.

I like Code for his easy-to-remember-while-on-the-bike nuggets, like the first rule of throttle control. But I like Ienatsch for his philosophy and way of explaining things.

Get both books and read 'em. You'll be glad you did.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #8
Panda
not an actual panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Get both books and read 'em. You'll be glad you did.
I did and find both varying degrees of helpful but ultimately I find that Nick Ienatsch positions resonate with me more. I am, for example, a huge believer in being able to go to the brakes at any time when I ride.

To use Keith Code's vernacular, I believe that some of what he offers as "technology" are really just "tips". Better than doing things the wrong way but...

Old August 9th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Aodrn
It's a long boring story

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Is the book you are referring to,
Sport Riding Techniques: How To Develop Real World Skills for Speed, Safety, and Confidence on the Street and...
I was looking for another good mc book. Totw 2 had great information that has really transformed my riding. I will be perfecting his tips till I am too feeble to ride. Now I would like something informational with a little more recreational value
Aodrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2013, 06:22 PM   #10
Panda
not an actual panda

Yup that's the book.

Old August 9th, 2013, 07:07 PM   #11
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post

He's a better writer for sure. Not hard... Code has a rather convoluted and obtuse style that's hard to follow.

I write for a living...
I agree and I also think nick has a more appropriate approach to street riding. Keith's twisting of the wrist is in fact that in regards to the street IMHO. A mental masturbation of his findings to the physics of riding. Unfortunately his throttle rules and line constraints aren't practical for the street if you know what I mean.

I find his book much better related for track concepts.

Total thread jack. Sir Douglas, there will be pm for you shortly. Concerning your choice of career.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #12
Galaxieman
ninjette.org member

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 Concours 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
is there a rule like "the pace" but for race practice? it's probably something like "go faster or get out of my way"
Best way I've heard the same general concept is to "Sneak up on fast". No reason to just go bombing down the straights and flailing into each corner right out the gate... If you pay specific attention to just going a bit faster in a section until it makes you fix the next section, you'll eventually work your improved speed around the track until you're WAAAAAY faster than when you started, but not all in one big jump.