ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 7th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #1
mickheaven
ninjette.org member

Name: Mitchell

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

White smoke from crank case breather

So more dramas with my bike. Recently since actually being able to ride my bike again I've noticed there has been a white smoke coming from the crank case breather (I have a pod filter on there and a double pod on the carbs). The smoke starts to come out after a few minutes when the bike is warmer.

I've had a bit of a look online and there seems to be a number of possible reasons. I recently had my motor pulled apart by the local kawa dealership so not sure if this could be the source of the problem. Also the bike is currently running a bit lean as I'm in the middle of rejetting, another possible reason?

Anyone had any experience with this problem?

Oh I just changed the oil and its still smoking. Possibly water in the oil? Maybe a couple of filter changes??? Advice please.
mickheaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickheaven View Post
...........Oh I just changed the oil and its still smoking. Possibly water in the oil? Maybe a couple of filter changes??? Advice please.
Since you cannot do much about it, keep riding and don't worry.

It could be some excess of sealant (like glue) that the dealer used during the repair: eventually will stop vaporizing with the heat of the engine.

If some water in the oil, it will also stop.
If much water, the oil should look milky through the visor.

If leaking rings or valves' seals that allow combustion gases down into the crankcase, the smoke will continue.
In that case, there is no much you can do about it either, other than return it to the dealer for further repair.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2013, 06:56 AM   #3
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

what motofool said, probably moisture. but you did have engine work done, so I'd have them double check.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 13th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #4
mickheaven
ninjette.org member

So here's an update for anyone who cares.

Changed the oil, ran bike. Still smoking

Changed oil and filter. Ran bike, still smoking. changed oil and filter again. Still smoking.

Figured I'm gonna ride it till something happens.

Ride bike for a couple of days.

Get up to do some painting on the bike, coolant is empty after previously being full (checked it 2 days ago) and oil level has gone up from half way between the indicators to full. Coolant in the oil!

Rang dealership/service centre and took it back for them to fix. I'm betting on head gasket.

Old September 13th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #5
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Yikes

Old September 14th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
.........Get up to do some painting on the bike, coolant is empty after previously being full (checked it 2 days ago) and oil level has gone up from half way between the indicators to full. Coolant in the oil!

Rang dealership/service centre and took it back for them to fix. I'm betting on head gasket.
Great catch and wise decision !!!

Was the oil milky-looking?

Sorry about my previous advice; I didn't expect it to be as bad.

Why did the dealer work inside the engine for?

Old September 14th, 2013, 07:03 AM   #7
mickheaven
ninjette.org member

All good Motofool.

Oily was slightly milky but also dirty looking. Was getting really gross after only a few minutes running. It's lucky that I've been doing a street fighter and have the fairings removed and airbox removed. Otherwise I wouldn't have seen the smoke from the crankcase breather and the coolant level.

Got the dealer to work on it cause i couldnt shift to into second gear. The positive neutral finder throw outs got stuck and the dealers opened up the motor to sort that out. Guessing the gasket wasn't put back properly/it was faulty.

Old September 14th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
......Oily was slightly milky but also dirty looking. Was getting really gross after only a few minutes running......
Now I remember your previous thread.

That is strange ......... maybe the dirt came from exhaust gases or some glue-sealant used in the repair.

I wonder is that dirtiness was a pre-existing condition that led to the unusual failure of the neutral finder mechanism.

Old September 14th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #9
mickheaven
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
I wonder is that dirtiness was a pre-existing condition that led to the unusual failure of the neutral finder mechanism.
That could be the case. Hopefully it was just from a lack of care from the previous owner. It's not going to happen anymore cause the dealership removed the throw outs.