ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old November 5th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #1
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Rode a triumph street triple.

Zomg wtf BBQ. First off, it's a great street bike. And I mean as a street bike that can do everything, like scare your girlfriend on the back while trolling the squid groups on the isle of 9, or commuting.

Ergos- I'm a midget. In case we all forgot. The street triple is a compact standard bike. The dirt bike styled bars aren't very tall and it had a small fly screen. The rear sets are a bit farther back and have a sporty vibe going on. But not at all uncomfortable. I'm pretty tip toed on the thing but its really thin and I never felt like I was going to dump it at a stop light.

The clutch has a lighter feel to it and the shifting was a positive providing a good snick with each gear change. Low speed maneuvers and in town riding was intuitive and very manageable. It's an easy bike to ride.

But I'll just cut to the good stuff. This bike is so much fun. That motor has the coolest yowling exhaust not. It's like listening to the old triumph tr6 race cars duking it out with the bre Nissan 240z. Just like an older inline 6 cylinder. Except at 14k the striple sounds like pure automotive erotica screaming at you.

Speaking of 14k that's what's kinda weird about this bike. It's not tuned as sharply as the 675 Daytona. But this thing starts hauling major ass after 9500 rpms. But around town and in the twisties I found that it paid to have the thing around 7k to squirt off the corners. It's a confidence inspiring bike and because it doesn't hit super hard when it comes on the powerband you can just pour on the throttle while exiting a corner and wind it out before throwing the brakes on. It's just that it's deceptive. The striple can just rip through twisty roads with very little effort. Start hanging off and the chassis begins to remind you where it's roots are. The suspension was a bit soft when I really started getting the party started. The rear wheel was getting floaty when hard on the brakes and the suspension felt like it was just a bit behind when really getting through the twisty stuff.

Other notes. It gets horrible mileage. How do the big bike riders make it to Starbucks? I swear fuel shoots out of the exhaust or something. No, it's just that the bike does like and need to rev. Yea yea it's a 675cc motor and it makes sooo much torque over a 600. *rolls eyes* You could be at 5500rpms and open the throttle to the stop and it would pull but it wasnt until 10k that thing would start passing a whole lot of cars in a very short while.

Naked bikes aren't horrible until 75 mph. After that its mild discomfort. Then at 115ish, you get the feeling that you're going to fly away off the back. It's like having a forced speed limiter on the freeway.

The bike is awesome. I didn't put everything I noticed down but feel free to ask questions.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old November 5th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #2
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

What do you expect? It's good british engineering!
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 5th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #3
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Soooooo exactly what kind of mileage was it getting?
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #4
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

Any plans on testing the new 675?
I just had a chat with marin triumph to talk about test riding the 675. Hopefully that comes through.

Old November 5th, 2013, 01:12 PM   #5
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Soooooo exactly what kind of mileage was it getting?
Mid 30s. All of a sudden that 4 gallon tank seems really short lol.

Old November 5th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #6
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacron View Post
Any plans on testing the new 675?
I just had a chat with marin triumph to talk about test riding the 675. Hopefully that comes through.
I was gonna tell you about it. Just straight up the Daytona 675 just made it on to my I gotta have it list. I really really like the compact feel, it's a thin bike and the power delivery and characteristics remind of of every reason I love my 150r vs my 2 stroke bike for supermoto.

You can really row through the gears on the things. But it ramps up in power in the coolest way. The r6 feeling was very little power then slapped you with some serious hp. It's peaky on the street. On the track its not hard to keep bikes on boil. But on the street it's annoying. The 675 feels fun and eager at 6k or 7k rpms and when it does get up to 10 grand its pretty linear and surges all the way to redline. The r6 felt like it gains 30 hp once it gets there and your throttle control has to be on point.

The 675 is more fun on the street at sane ish speeds and easier to ride.

Although I still want an 848. That thing pulled a bit on me at the start and after 80mph easily walked away.

Old November 5th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #7
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

The Daytona that I'll be testing will be at a trackday most likely. Only because a friend uses it as a track bike only.

Old November 5th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #8
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Dang, sounds like a load of fun

Wonder how well mpg would improve to if you were to hypermile it...able to get your hands on a speed triple?
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 08:26 PM   #9
anacron
ninjette.org guru

Name: Adi

Motorcycle(s): Triumph Street Triple R

@CycleCam303

Excellent! Can't wait to read the write up of the trackday experience on the 675.

Old November 5th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #10
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byakkotai View Post
Dang, sounds like a load of fun

Wonder how well mpg would improve to if you were to hypermile it...able to get your hands on a speed triple?
I didn't ride a dealership bike. It was a friends bike. The speed triple is way too tall for me. It's like the ducati street fighter. My feet don't even touch the ground.

Ha, the person I was riding with didn't help with mpg. I adjust to each bike. The striple can be short shifted but it feels pretty gutless under 5k. I imagine 40mpg should be possible. It's not a bike to buy for fuel mileage though. It wants to be wrung out to death.

Old November 8th, 2013, 02:14 PM   #11
NDspd
1/4 English, 3/4 Kick Ass

Name: Jeremy

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Triumph Speed Triple 955i, '05 Suzuki SV650S(retired), '11 Ninja 250R(sold)

Good to hear you had a positive experience with the striple. I have an '02 Speed Triple and having mine for several months I'm stuck! I don't want any other brand.

I really want to jump up to the newer 1050 speed triple, but I can confirm everything you describe in your experience. Let us know how the daytona works out for ya.
NDspd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 04:10 PM   #12
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

I think the Daytona is even higher than the speed/street triples (R). I was rather disappointed...
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #13
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
It's like having a forced speed limiter on the freeway.
That's exactly how I feel about my FZ6.