ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 27th, 2014, 06:15 PM   #1
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Smile Help me plan my motorcycle adventure!

Ok so I've got a little free time coming up in the next few weeks and I'm thinking it would be a great time to take an extended trip on the bike. I've never gone on a trip that lasted longer than a day, but I've always wanted to so I figured, what better time than now?

I would join the rally going on at The Gap May 16th-18th but I'll be at Rock on the Range that weekend, so I can't. I still plan on hitting The Gap, but it will be either before or after the rally. My plan is to do a trip similar to scorch's latest adventure,.. basically heading south along the Appalachians. I plan on stealth camping along the way and being gone for about a week.

I'll be taking the '04 250 since it is more comfortable and better suited to carrying luggage than the 300, plus it will give me an excuse to give the 250 some attention. I figure it will take me a few days to get the bike ready for the trip, charge the battery, change the oil, etc. I ordered some saddlebags and a big tailbag today, so I should have plenty of luggage space. I've got a pup tent, a tarp, a camp stove, sleeping bag, all that stuff. I plan on taking some extra tools in addition to the stock kit and any other things that I might need for the bike.

I'm looking for advice from others who have done this kind of thing before. Like I said, this will be a new experience for me and I'm going to be outside of my comfort zone at times.., Hey I said I'm looking for some adventure, and you only live once right?

So what are the essentials that should be on my checklist? What roads should I be following? Where should I be planning to camp at?, remember I plan on going stealth, I could afford a hotel if I have to but that's not the point. What kind of other surprises should I plan for?

Edit:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so here's a better overview of my trip plans.

Day one - I probably will start the trip off slow. Leave in the afternoon and head for Dean State forest, on the Ohio/Kentucky border to camp for the night. This way I figure that I won't be too far from home if something goes wrong the first night.

Day two - Assuming no problems I plan on heading east to Virginia, and camping at either the George Washington or Shenandoah National park .

Day three - Start the day early and head south via Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Assuming conditions are good and there are no delays, I should be able to make it to the Pigeon Forge, Tennessee area. There is a KOA campground there, so that would be a good place to stop

Day four - The Tail of the Dragon

Day five - YTD

Day six/seven - head back home, route YTD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Checklist: Probably more than i need

Tent/stakes, camo tarp, sleeping bag, fleece blanket, inflatable sleeping pad & pillow - check
Mess kit/utensils, camp stove, fuel supply, lighter - check
Backpacking chair - check
camp axe - check
flashlight - check

Tire repair kit, 12v portable inflator, pressure guage - check
tire irons - check
extra spark plugs, extra fuses - check
small roll of gorilla tape - check
stock tool kit - check
small bottle of chain lube ???
pliers - check

Tennis shoes and dry socks - check
Toiletries in dry bag - check
First aid kit - check
swim trunks, beach towel - check
extra clothes - check

Water bottle, granola bars - check
sunscreen, bug spray - check
rain suit - check
digital camera - check
sunglasses - check
Atlas or maps ???
cash/credit - check

Food - rice, beans, ramen noodles, oats ???
coffee - check
flask (filled with whiskey) - check
Ronco pocket fisherman, fillet knife - check

Last futzed with by ninjamunky85; May 4th, 2014 at 06:25 PM.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #2
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Be wary of stealth camping. Land owners don't take trespassing lightly. You're better off getting a regular campsite and enjoying that hot shower. Check for state parks in the areas you'll be in, they usually have decent spots for a fair price.

I live near Pittsburgh, so we head south into W.Va. and Virginia, then head down the Blue Ridge Parkway for some of the best riding I've ever experienced.

Get a Road Atlas to study your options so you have at least a general idea of the routes that fit in with your time limit, so you don't end up going in circles.

Take twice as much money as you think you will need, and half as much stuff.

Get a good rainsuit!

Oh yeah, take an extra pair of shoes to wear when you're done riding for the day to let your boots air out overnight. Your feet will thank you.
Desmoluci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 27th, 2014, 07:26 PM   #3
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
OK good advice. I don't have a GPS and I'm wondering if it's really necessary to have one.

Old April 27th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #4
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Drew

Motorcycle(s): 2007 SV650S 2005 EX250F

I've done my share of that sort of stuff and I love it. Stealth, state parks, couch surfing... all are great. Just be smart. I always have a gps but I don't use it much. Best thing I can say is don't shoot for miles and stay off the expressway. It's way more fun if you go slow.

Also check out ADVRider's campsite thread. Plenty of folk (myself included) are on there offering free places to camp/drink beer in exchange for stories of where you're going.

Old April 27th, 2014, 07:34 PM   #5
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Is a rain suit needed if I have pants a a jacket with an extra waterproof liner? I'm just hoping that it doesn't rain lol.

Old April 27th, 2014, 08:02 PM   #6
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
a jacket with an extra waterproof liner?

Get a good rainsuit.

Old April 27th, 2014, 08:13 PM   #7
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Rainsuit
Best $90 you'll ever spend.

Old April 27th, 2014, 08:54 PM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Attached Images
File Type: jpg all.dressed.up.jpg (36.6 KB, 4 views)
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2014, 09:52 AM   #9
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
I'm making a mental checklist of all the things I might need for the trip. I also have a better idea for the plan of my route. I'll update this thread with the details later.

Old April 28th, 2014, 10:01 AM   #10
scorch
ninjette.org guru

Name: ricardo

Motorcycle(s): 250

i do like traveling with my gps. Id say for me that is a must. specially when you want to find specific stuff.

Camping is cheaper than hotels. But stealth is free, look for national parks if you are worried about going over peoples property
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2014, 10:06 AM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I'll second the advice to take twice as much money and half the stuff.

I way overpacked for my first bike vacation. Now i know i can go a few days with far less stuff. But i've only gone for four days max and i was on the bike almost the entire time.

I'm thinking minimalistic, so one pair of heavy duty sandals, and one change of clothes that can easily be rinsed/washed in a sink or shower and dried overnight. Alternate between sets of clothes so one dries/airs out while you wear the other. Extra layers in case it gets cold but enough so you can drop them when it warms up.

The biggest thing I'd recommend is a tire repair kit (not a plug, an actual repair kit) and a mini compressor (such as Slime makes, available at Wal-Mart).

Not so sure on the stealth camping idea (but i am used to massive BLM lands so camping is just roadside) however I would really look at couch surfing or the ADV camping list as suggested. Bit more secure, have someone to chat with, and reasonably secure in knowing you'll have a place that won't throw you out at 2am.

To each their own, it will surely be an awesome adventure and I do look forward to hearing about it!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #12
Bill N
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 250 Ninja

The 250 has little protection from the elements. Get good rain gear, personally I like 2 piece rather than a single suit. It's much easier to get into on the side of the road plus you might use only the top for warmth for the early morning rides. I suggest you buy a tire plug kit, compressor, or co2 kit to reinflate a flat tire once plugged. A tank bag should be considered in additon to side bags and rear bag. Go on the internet and search motorcycle only/friendly campgrounds. They are my favorite campsites. Also you might check out KOA campgrounds along your route. Hot showers, restrooms, secure etc., and cheaper than a motel. Good luck in any case.
Bill
Bill N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2014, 05:03 PM   #13
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
I need to invest in a rain suit. Over 5 years of riding for pleasure and commuting, and I've never owned one.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #14
scorch
ninjette.org guru

Name: ricardo

Motorcycle(s): 250

rainsuits are nice. but mine always lets some water in. i think i got a hole somewhere. too bad its a nice rainsuit too.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 28th, 2014, 05:45 PM   #15
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Ok I updated my first post to better outline my trip plans. Today I put the rear fender back on the 250 for better rain protection and to give some additional storage space. I still need to hook up a cigarette lighter so I can charge my electronics and run the air pump if needed. I'll also change the oil before I leave.

I'm planning on just sticking to state/national parks for camping, however I'll also consider other options. I'm planning on starting my trip on May 7th, so I should have plenty of time to prepare.

Old April 28th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #16
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

Lots of good advise there... take a little instead of a lot for sure. I travel with almost nothing. As far as tools I take some allen wrenches and 1/4" drive sockets, maybe a plug socket but honestly I've never had to use much of anything (Hondas! ). I would say granola bars, Gatorade (1/2 water!) and a bottle of the hard stuff. Unfortunately beer does not travel well or conveniently on a bike. Lighters, cash, credit, you're good.

As far as the rain gear goes I've been through my share. I was always two piece for convenience but Triumph's Chevron one-piece is the easiest thing to get into. You basically step into it and zip on. Check it out... and they are SUPER waterproof.

Old April 28th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #17
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrewski86 View Post
As far as the rain gear goes I've been through my share. I was always two piece for convenience but Triumph's Chevron one-piece is the easiest thing to get into. You basically step into it and zip on. Check it out... and they are SUPER waterproof.
How is the sizing when it comes to rain suits? Do they take into account that you'll be wearing it over your other gear, or do you need to order a size up?

Old April 28th, 2014, 06:30 PM   #18
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

I'm 6'2" 200 lbs and I have a xxl, fits fine.

Old April 28th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #19
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Your list looks pretty good.

Get the laminated road maps from Barnes and Nobel or anywhere you can find them.

I've never used a GPS.

As far as the food thing, I usually stop at a local supermarket and schmooz the lady in the deli into making me a killer sandwich to take to the campsite with me. Add a can of beans or whatever, and feast out by the fire. Subway is pretty consistent, too. Carrying cooking stuff is a drag for me, but to each his own.

Lots of great roads in the direction you're headed. You can ride the dragon, then work your way over to the Blue Ridge Parkway heading north back to Ohio.

http://www.cherohala.org/motorcycles2.html

Oh yeah, get a good rainsuit.

These are the best straps I've ever used by far.

http://www.rokstraps.com/

Old April 29th, 2014, 05:27 PM   #20
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Ok so today I got the 250 up and running, went for a ride around the block, and then did the oil change. I hooked up a cigarette lighter outlet to the accessory lead under the seat but it wasn't charging my phone , so hopefully I can get that to work before my trip.

My saddle bags and tail pack should arrive tomorrow, hopefully they'll fit the bike ok and be big enough. I'm not too worried about that though. I'll also continue to update my checklist as I think of anything else that I might need.

Hoping for decent weather and a safe trip. I'm really excited for my first real adventure ride.

Old April 29th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #21
thedrewski86
ninjette.org guru

You'll have a great time, just ride slow and don't count the miles. Also do you happen to have an iphone? Mine would never charge w/o the Apple charger... fickle things. My current HTC charges off anything.

Old April 30th, 2014, 03:23 PM   #22
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
When finishing up my oil change I noticed that the lower engine mount bolt was trying to fall out. The nut must've vibrated off at some point and the only thing keeping the bolt from coming out completely was the center-stand mount. Glad I discovered that before my trip, luckily I had a lock-nut that was the right size.

Who knows how long it's been like that.

Old May 1st, 2014, 03:44 PM   #23
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
I also got my saddlebags and tail bag yesterday. I ordered the MotoCentric sport saddlebags, and the Saddlemen deluxe sport tailbag. Both of which look like they were designed for the bike, and even though they aren't the same brand they both work well together. If I don't have enough room for all my gear now, then I must be doing something wrong.

I also changed my planned route a little. I now plan on camping at either George Washington or Shenandoah National forest, and then hitting the Blue Ridge Parkway on my way to the Tail of the Dragon.

If I can make it, I've got a seven day trip planned. I've never done anything like this before, but you only live once right? I'm so excited about the trip, it's pretty much the only thing I've been thinking about for the last few days.

Old May 1st, 2014, 03:52 PM   #24
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Not sure what the camping rules are for those two forests, but have you looked at this site yet for info?

http://www.recreation.gov

Old May 1st, 2014, 04:04 PM   #25
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Yes, and both parks should have camping spots open by today. I haven't made any reservations yet, but due to the crappy weather we've been having this spring I can't imagine that I won't be able to find a camping spot.

Either way, I'll probably make a few calls before I begin my journey to see what advice they may have and make sure I have a place to sleep.

Old May 1st, 2014, 04:13 PM   #26
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Coolio

Who knows, everyone else may be thinking the same thing to get out of Dodge as soon as they can so it may fill up if the weather turns even a hint of nice.

Old May 1st, 2014, 08:00 PM   #27
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

You're in for a great ride! Watch for deer on the Parkway, and the squids and Johnny Law on the Dragon. Stay away from the yellow line on 129, people tend to push it over the limit there, and you don't want to meet them in the middle.

Make sure to check out the crazy looking water plant(?) near the Dragon store. Turn left coming out of the store and go down the hill to the right (it's a fork) on 129, you can't miss it.

Don't forget how far from home you are when you are tempted to wick it up on the Dragon, it will bite you for making a mistake.

Oh yeah, and call your Mother every day, she'll be worried.

Old May 4th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #28
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Here's the 250 mostly packed and almost ready for the trip. I took it around for a short ride and it didn't feel too heavy. I also got my phone to charge from the accessory lead, so I now should be ready to go.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 7th, 2014, 07:05 PM   #29
Roark
ninjette.org sage

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninjette

Was reading through your gear list..sorry if I missed this:

What tank bag did you use? And the tailbag link you listed doesn't mention a water proof cover. Did yours come with one, or were the water resisting properties of the bag itself adequate?

Old October 7th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #30
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roark View Post
Was reading through your gear list..sorry if I missed this:

What tank bag did you use? And the tailbag link you listed doesn't mention a water proof cover. Did yours come with one, or were the water resisting properties of the bag itself adequate?
The tank bag I used was the Icon Primer tank bag. It wasn't ideal but it did the job. I have since upgraded to the Rapid Transit 19 and am much happier with it.

The tailbag I used didn't come with a rain cover. I treated it with waterproofing spray, but that didn't help much. I was also carrying a tarp on the top of it though, so that kept most of the rain off.