Old October 31st, 2015, 02:56 PM   #241
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
More pictures from ally:

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Old October 31st, 2015, 04:51 PM   #242
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

How do you not get lost? Do you have GPS?
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2015, 03:26 AM   #243
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Follow the white blazes. The trail is marked well. Getting lost in the AT is pretty hard to do in most spots.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2015, 06:45 AM   #244
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
1,600 & 1,700 mile journal entry - Closing in on Georgia!................Rich memories and lessons come with every day. So do exhaustion and the devil on the shoulder creating a shadow of doubt...Will the tough keep going if the going gets tougher? That is the question I'm wrestling with every day. I hope so. My countdown timer now sits at fewer than 500 miles. It's a race to beat Old Man Winter!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2015, 07:18 AM   #245
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Will the tough keep going if the going gets tougher? That is the question I'm wrestling with every day. I hope so.
I was chatting with my neighbor again and he asked if you were still on the trail. I told him you were and it was startin' to get to ya. He said...

Quote:
Yep, most don't make it the entire trail one way, much less both ways. Their mental toughness aint there. If she has made it all the way and now coming back with only 500 miles to go, she has already proven to herself she can do it. The wet weather will be the biggest challenge. It's one thing to be cold, it's another to be wet and cold.

But there aint nothin' on the trail that is stronger than what she already is.
Good luck Ally!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2015, 08:24 AM   #246
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Keep kickin' ass!!!!!!

I'm jealous of you. I know nothing about hiking but this seems like an amazing experience. Mostly jealous of the smell and feel and quietness of the woods. I love that when I'm home and can go enjoy it in the CVNP.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 1st, 2015, 05:03 PM   #247
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I was chatting with my neighbor again and he asked if you were still on the trail. I told him you were and it was startin' to get to ya. He said...

Good luck Ally!
NC and the Smokes will be tough, but she has this, no question about it.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2015, 07:41 AM   #248
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2015, 10:21 AM   #249
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post

Good luck Ally!
Thanks! Gonna give it all I've got. 430 miles to go!

Old November 7th, 2015, 07:17 PM   #250
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
1,800 mile journal (389 miles left!!)

What a memorable hundred miles this has been as my remaining distance dropped below the 500 mile mark and I finally escape Virginia's clutches and made my way into Tennessee! With its share of overcast grayness and abbreviated daylight hours, the few dappled interruptions of warm, sunny days were revitalizing gifts that provided a desperately needed morale boost. Watauga Dam, Roan Mountain, and Overlook Shelter were mentionable sights experienced along the way. The Overlook Shelter was a double decker converted barn that overlooked a beautiful easterly view. The result was a colorfully painted sky to greet hikers after a slightly damp night sleep which rained thick, dense fog in conjunction with the music of mice scampering about above our heads. One particularly memorable day granted me an opportunity to walk fifteen miles into trail town Damascus, Virginia on a refreshingly different trail which parallels the AT. The Virginia Creeper Trail intersects with the Appalachian Trail twice, joining it for the last 0.4 into Damascus. I was overjoyed to have veered from the AT this day! It was a delightful change of pace...from rocky, muddy, leaf-covered undulations of the same ol' trail to a former railroad bed which is presently a smooth, winding biking/hiking/horse path following the curves of a clear mountain creek along the way. This walk was the most aesthetically enjoyable in all of Virginia crossing numerous wooden footbridges and cascading waterfalls, passing by a neat little community where a collie accompanied me down the path for a mile or so, cutting through fall foliage filled forests where I could actually gaze around at the surroundings rather than the usual staring downward to avoid rocks and roots and other AT hazards.

This hundred has been slower to pass by as a result of shorter hiking days for varied reasons of fun! Trail angel Mama drove six hours (plus 1.5 in standstill traffic), to magic my friends and me with a hotel room, a birthday dinner, and everlasting memories of one of my favorite days on the AT! She tackled rocks and climbs up and down Laurel Falls like a champ! It was so much fun sharing my trail, my home, my life for the past five months with my mom.

In addition to Mama's visit, Guardian slackpacked me and took me out for a fun Halloween in Johnson City. He's jumped on trail with me for a couple hundred miles to finish a section on his to-do list. Laughter and entertainment are abundant with this crazy character around breathing life into the cold miles ahead.

The trail has been a good mixture of smooth terrain with a few challenging stretches thrown in to prevent hikers from falling into a state of indolence. There have been days of pleasurable walks in the woods and of grueling climbs that seemed never ending. One of these climbs was Hump Mountain in Tennessee, four miles up to 5,600 feet of elevation before the woods opened up to a beautiful, grassy bald and looming summit an observer could see for miles as she approached the apex. What a gorgeous reward for the fatiguing ascension!

Life on the AT the past five months has most definitely had its ups and downs. Southbound has been especially difficult with the gray weather and cold temperatures of fall, but this hundred miles has invigorated me, hopefully enough to sustain my ambition for another 389 miles of ever changing life on the Appalachian Trail. "If you can't fly, then run. If you can't run, then walk. If you can't walk, then crawl. But whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward." Martin Luther King

Old November 7th, 2015, 09:44 PM   #251
accumack
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

You're in the home stretch now. YOU CAN DO IT!

Old November 7th, 2015, 09:52 PM   #252
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Just read this entire thread, i just had an adventure of my own. Good Luck to you Ally, take lots more pics. I like pics.

Old November 8th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #253
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Oh!

Happy Birthday!

Old November 8th, 2015, 11:41 AM   #254
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Happy birthday! You are amazing!

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2015, 02:46 PM   #255
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Keep kickin' ass!!!!!!

I'm jealous of you. I know nothing about hiking but this seems like an amazing experience. Mostly jealous of the smell and feel and quietness of the woods. I love that when I'm home and can go enjoy it in the CVNP.
The woods smell good...usually. We hikers, not so much. Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXecuterXx2 View Post
Just read this entire thread, i just had an adventure of my own. Good Luck to you Ally, take lots more pics. I like pics.
I've taken thousands. Just can't upload too easily here mobily.

Thanks, all! Appreciate the encouragement!

Old November 14th, 2015, 02:20 PM   #256
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
1,900 mile journal

The rollercoaster of emotions one experiences on such a long, arduous journey metaphorically mirrors the rollercoaster of mountains one must physically endure to see it through to the end. One moment the sun is shining, the temperature is balmy, and the promise of a beautiful day seems guaranteed. Ten minutes later, one may find herself in a frigid downpour ensconced by fog and blown around by wind gusts of up to 40mph, feeling gloomy despair. On several occasions recently has this sudden disappointment brought me to a low point, and less than 300 miles from the finish, two days from Hot Springs, NC, I wrestled with strong thoughts of capitulating to the elements and ending my hike prematurely. Thanks to friends and a dose of tough love, I am still walking home. Southbound has definitely tried me and pushed me to raise the ceiling of self-discovery and learn new limits. There have been more days of rain than sun, more times of fog than views, more chill bumps than sweat. In this hundred miles specifically, there have been no more than two sunny days in a row. Just as shoes begin to feel dry, the sky opens up again and laughs so hard at its cruel joke that it cries, leaving the tricky trail slippery and muddy for days.

My birthday was celebrated with a 100% chance of rain and resulting zero day at Greasy Creek Hostel surrounded by friends, dogs (including a 3 month old black lab puppy), and a chocolate chip cookie cake. Mexican food was my choice for lunch. The recipe for a perfect birthday...puppies and margaritas! A few days later, more cold monsoons forced another unplanned zero day at Uncle Johnny's hostel in Erwin, TN. A cozy, lazy day of back to back movies was just what we weary hikers needed after walking for hours in the pouring rain.

On the other hand, amidst the rain and gloom, the trail has provided a few pleasant memories experienced with Guardian, who has joined me for the duration of my hike. Unaka Mountain, a dense spruce forest, made for an incredibly comfortable walk on pine needle carpet along its summit. The 360 degree views from Big Stamp and Big Bald on the top of Bald Mountain were stunningly picturesque one crisp, cold morning. The clear sky above was the bluest blue, yet a pure white blanket of clouds covered the lakes and valleys below while sunlight lit the mountains and trail we had just traversed. Picture perfect day! Fall hiking changes the sounds of music in the woods as well. Often the overpowering din of leaves crunching underfoot is a melodic rhythm which passes the miles peacefully as one gets lost in thought. The sound of the wind whipping through the creaking, bending trees accompanies the bass of shoes thumping the ground. Top it with a hilarious hiking partner who has a gift of bringing laughter and cheer to the miles, and the sights and sounds, though gray and drab of winter, are made more pleasurable than ever!

To sum it up, the rollercoaster is teaching me much everyday, every step. As epic of a journey as this is, I am ready to resume normalcy for a while...to hug my dogs and see their joy at a simple daily walk, to converse fireside with my favorite mentors and friends (and stuff some mean jalapeńo peppers, and hug my amazingly supportive family members for longer than ever before! Two hundred, seventy four miles of mountains stand in the way. Fortunately, I have learned that although I can't move mountains, I sure as hell can move myself across them! I've got this.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old November 14th, 2015, 02:34 PM   #257
accumack
ninjette.org member

Keep it going Ally you've got this! You will make it and be stronger for it!

Old November 14th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #258
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Thanks a ton for encouraging me. Facing some FREEZING weather in the Smokies this week.

Old November 14th, 2015, 06:19 PM   #259
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
You'll also kick yourself the rest of your life if you quit now unless it's an absolute emergency!
I'm enjoying reading your thread. Truly a milestone adventure in your life!
We're all here cheering you on!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2015, 06:24 PM   #260
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
1,900 mile journal
.......... Fortunately, I have learned that although I can't move mountains, I sure as hell can move myself across them! I've got this.

"Great things are done when men and mountains meet." - William Blake

"Men stumble over pebbles, never over mountains." - Marilyn French

"It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe." - Muhammad Ali

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2015, 11:16 AM   #261
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
some photos...

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old November 15th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #262
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
More pictures from ally:

yall suck at postin photos

Old November 15th, 2015, 12:27 PM   #263
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
yall suck at postin photos
...worked just fine when I posted them. Not showing up now apparently. Meh.

Old November 16th, 2015, 03:47 PM   #264
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
...worked just fine when I posted them. Not showing up now apparently. Meh.
facebook links change after a little while so you cant link directly to facebook. you have to post them either to ninjette, or to somewhere like imgur

Old November 19th, 2015, 03:22 PM   #265
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Thanks Chris and Alex! I've got just under two freezing weeks left, y'all. Home soon!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 19th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #266
accumack
ninjette.org member

Looks like you are making some good time!

Old November 19th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #267
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Thanks Chris and Alex! I've got just under two freezing weeks left, y'all. Home soon!
stay warm!

Old November 23rd, 2015, 06:56 PM   #268
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
2,000 mile journal

When does a thru hike start to seem over? The minute one hits 2,000 miles. The remaining 189 seem like nothing in comparison. Today it slammed into me like a 60mph gust of wind...I have almost succeeded in a task I once deemed impossible. My 2000.0 mile mark happened on a picture perfect evening...the horizon appeared artistically airbrushed as it reflected a breathtaking orange, pink fiery sunset. Jets flew high above through atmospheric conditions conducive to creating lingering yellow-orange contrail clouds like tic-tac-toe boards reflecting the setting sun. What a beautiful moment to experience such a milestone and ponder the end that is now ever so near!

This hundred miles began hiking out of Hot Springs after a restful day in town. It was an uphill kind of battle...literally! After getting a late start, we made it twenty miles to Max Patch just in time to set up camp and view the painting in the sky of the sun going to sleep. As incredible as the evening was, the morning sunrise on Max Patch was a dream come true and likely the best Monday of my life!

Two out of three days consisted of nearly all climbs. It was arduous work up from 1,500ft to 6,643ft of elevation changes, but the path led us into the heart of the Smoky Mountains. The Smokies have a different flavor than other parts of the AT. There are numerous wood steps, varying greens of verdant vegetation, and mass graveyards of fallen trees. The strict camping guidelines in the park, the threat of 2-4 inches of snow, temperatures in the teens, and the obstacle course of downed trees across the trail made me want to get out of the Smokies as quickly as possible. Luckily, we planned a break in the middle to meet a trail angel friend at Newfound Gap, a fifteen mile drive into Gatlinburg. On our 15.6 mile hike that day to arrive at the meeting place, there was a high wind warning of 40-60mph sustained winds. While the weather in Gatlinburg was a balmy, sunny 71 degrees, our hike never reached temperatures above the high 30s and the high winds flung sleet and snow at us mixed with a very cold, unpredicted, steady rain. Our trail angel and friend, TJ, was waiting for us at the trailhead with a warm vehicle, drinks, goodies, and lunch in Gatlinburg! After the coldest, most miserable day on trail so far, she was my trail angel at the time it was needed and appreciated the most.

As I write this penultimate journal entry, the quarter moon is shining through the roof of my little tent, my home for the past six months. The night is quiet and calm with mllions of viewable stars dappling the sky. It hits home that as difficult as this journey has been, it has been ever so more rewarding. The friends, relationships, and angels who helped along the way, the beautiful sights and places experienced, the lessons learned, and forever memories have defined this epic journey of clarity.
As it draws to an end, there are many things I will dearly miss about life on the Appalachian Trail:

Coffee and Poptart breakfasts from the warmth of my sleeping bag

Living out of my backpack and knowing I have exactly and only what I need to survive relatively comfortably

The peaceful nights and animal lullabies that put me to sleep in the woods

Comraderie and gut clenching laughter with other hikers

Concern and kindness bestowed upon me by strangers

The banal daily tasks of filtering water, breaking down and setting up camp, building a fire, cooking dinner on a campstove, packing the backpack, and walking for miles

Never knowing the day of the week

The elated feeling of knowing a town is just a few miles ahead

Missing 2-4 inches of snow by mere hours according to the park volunteer at Clingman's Dome was a stroke of good fortune and a reminder to push these last few miles so as not to tempt Old Man Winter too much longer. One hundred eighty nine and counting! (Less by the time you read this.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old November 23rd, 2015, 08:22 PM   #269
accumack
ninjette.org member

Seems like you are picking up your pace. Be safe and enjoy your last 189 miles of this journey!

Old November 24th, 2015, 10:16 AM   #270
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 24th, 2015, 10:22 AM   #271
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Your hands are dirty

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2015, 10:32 AM   #272
accumack
ninjette.org member

Great pictures!

Old November 24th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #273
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Ally, pm me your next checkpoint (town) address and ETA that you will reach for a pickup on Mon., Tues. or Wed. There will be a care package waiting for ya.

Old November 24th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #274
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Beautiful pictures that have been kissed with cold.

Stay strong, enjoy the finish! Congratulations on succeeding on a life goal, ally!!

Old November 25th, 2015, 12:07 AM   #275
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it looks really cold. i dont like when it drops below 72f.

Old November 25th, 2015, 06:32 AM   #276
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Don't you mention 71f in my presence!!

Old November 25th, 2015, 06:46 AM   #277
accumack
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You must be hating it this week friday a high in the 50s. I'm in Sage, CA just east of Temecula. LOL!

Old November 25th, 2015, 08:36 PM   #278
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
You must be hating it this week friday a high in the 50s. I'm in Sage, CA just east of Temecula. LOL!

FAR too cold.

Old November 26th, 2015, 04:35 AM   #279
ally99
Ninja chick

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Hey y'all! Hiking through Thanksgiving today. But I'll have only 85 miles left at today's end! Tuesday will be my finish day, so Chris, there won't be another town resupply. Can't believe this journey is nearly over...after almost 6 months living on the AT. Surreal.

Old November 26th, 2015, 06:29 AM   #280
accumack
ninjette.org member

What are you going to treat yourself with after you finish? By the way GREAT JOB!