ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 14th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #1
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Question are these normal?

1. when I changed my oil, I was down on the floor and I found a hose just hanging there. Then I added leds flush mounts and on left side behind big fairing was another same hose hanging. Are those normal?

2. I passed my break in and started on the freeway after my oil change. I don't recall from my first bike if it made same sound. It reminds me of the little engine that could. She's like, "I think I can, I think I can." after I get off the freeway or start slowing down from 9k rpm speeds, it sounds like there's a whole bunch of little pins being rattled in a tin can.. Its usually like roud rev -> howling sound -> rattling pins in can -> then normal quite 3-4k rpm noise on decrease in speed/rpm. I know its a small engine but is that normal? (mainly howling n tin/pin/can noise).

3. This is more of a performance question. On i75 for like maybe 2 miles or so (I can post a map later) b4 rochester rd till big beaver. its a nice decently aggressive turn. Now during this stretch, every maybe 30 ft? (its hard to tell distance while traveling fast but like every 5 secs) there's a 1 foot deep and about 2 lanes wide patch that's not leveled. Its a huge bump. Sometimes my back wheel gets of the ground (or at least it sure feels like it). If I'm on that turn and my back wheel gets off, would I just fall n wipe out? I havnt tried the far right lanes bc ppl go like 60 in the 70 zone. I usually go about 75ish-80. Is that trouble some curve?

edit: map

Old June 15th, 2012, 12:05 AM   #2
PsHYk
ninjette.org member

Name: Pshyk

Motorcycle(s): 2012-250R

crankcase breather hose and oil overfill hose or whatever but yeah theyre on mine too youre good...
dont know about the other two...im new...
PsHYk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2012, 12:18 AM   #3
ninja_thresh_hold
ninjette.org *********

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (忍者 250r; sold!) 2001 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyPaws View Post
1. when I changed my oil, I was down on the floor and I found a hose just hanging there. Then I added leds flush mounts and on left side behind big fairing was another same hose hanging. Are those normal?

2. I passed my break in and started on the freeway after my oil change. I don't recall from my first bike if it made same sound. It reminds me of the little engine that could. She's like, "I think I can, I think I can." after I get off the freeway or start slowing down from 9k rpm speeds, it sounds like there's a whole bunch of little pins being rattled in a tin can.. Its usually like roud rev -> howling sound -> rattling pins in can -> then normal quite 3-4k rpm noise on decrease in speed/rpm. I know its a small engine but is that normal? (mainly howling n tin/pin/can noise).

3. This is more of a performance question. On i75 for like maybe 2 miles or so (I can post a map later) b4 rochester rd till big beaver. its a nice decently aggressive turn. Now during this stretch, every maybe 30 ft? (its hard to tell distance while traveling fast but like every 5 secs) there's a 1 foot deep and about 2 lanes wide patch that's not leveled. Its a huge bump. Sometimes my back wheel gets of the ground (or at least it sure feels like it). If I'm on that turn and my back wheel gets off, would I just fall n wipe out? I havnt tried the far right lanes bc ppl go like 60 in the 70 zone. I usually go about 75ish-80. Is that trouble some curve?

edit: map
yeah to answer num 1, oil overflow and breather hoses, num 2, it sounds like your down shifting and not letting off of the clutch slow enough for revs to level out, and as for number 3, i cant say for sure, but if i were you, i would check the tred on the rear tire :]

Old June 15th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #4
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

still need answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsHYk View Post
crankcase breather hose and oil overfill hose or whatever but yeah theyre on mine too youre good...
dont know about the other two...im new...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_thresh_hold View Post
yeah to answer num 1, oil overflow and breather hoses, num 2, it sounds like your down shifting and not letting off of the clutch slow enough for revs to level out, and as for number 3, i cant say for sure, but if i were you, i would check the tred on the rear tire :]
1. yar i thought they might be some type of breathing hose, but was not sure.

2. I dont think i should be down shifting, going from lets say 70mph, then dropping to 60-50 on the exit ramp, i should be in 6th gear still unless i wanna try and pop a wheelie. When i decellerate i shift down, but im still traveling 6-7k rpm speeds.

3. Rear tire is still lookin new, a lil less than 700 miles on it, looks great. Now I am not 100% that the tire is getting off the ground, it just feels like it. if it does get off the ground do i fall because one wheel is on? Its a nice turn, solid lines so no passing.

Old June 15th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #5
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

As for number two it might be your clutch lever vibrating. I know mine does that and it sounds pretty much exactly how you described around the same RPMs. Try putting a tiny bit of pressure on the clutch while your riding to find out if that's what causing the noise.

Old June 25th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #6
SafetyPaws
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
As for number two it might be your clutch lever vibrating. I know mine does that and it sounds pretty much exactly how you described around the same RPMs. Try putting a tiny bit of pressure on the clutch while your riding to find out if that's what causing the noise.
havent been on freeway in awhile while on school break. I was on 696 for like a mile and i tried, but i got a new helmet and i couldnt hear the noise at all due to a correct fitting and well insulated helmet, i will have to try it.

Old June 25th, 2012, 06:04 PM   #7
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsHYk View Post
crankcase breather hose and oil overfill hose
its actually a gas tank overflow hose, a coolant overflow hose, a battery box drain, and a drain from the airbox. though, its hard to see the battery box drain.

Old June 25th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #8
mrcrunch
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2007 250r

You could have one of locals follow you on that curve and let you know how it looks. I've only gone south bound through there, and I don't remember any pavement changes like what you've described. Is it the north bound lanes you mean?

On the Square Lake Rd on-ramp to i-75, there is a very large bump in the left most lane. I'm pretty sure I get air there (inadvertently). Standing up a few inches on the pegs helps.

It may help you to take the curves on the inside and straighten up for the bumps. Then return, re-straighten, etc. Not fun that way though, but maybe safer.
mrcrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyPaws View Post
if it does get off the ground do i fall because one wheel is on?
no. look at dirt bikes.

dont chop the throttle, stay smooth on your inputs and changes and youll be fine.