ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old March 16th, 2015, 10:36 AM   #1
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
The Journey Begins....

This thread will be fun and crazy at times. I would guess we will end up in trees and such.

The Goal: Learn/master martial arts of 2 weapons and learn quite a bit about ourselves along the way.

My son: Nunchucks and rope dart.
Me: Bow Staff and 3 section staff.

Both of us are NOT n00bs. I am a 3rd degree black belt and my son (Lance) is first degree. We earned them over 10+yrs of training, blood, sweat, tears and a few broken bones along the way. As with any of my goals, this is 1000% serious. I have talked this over with my son and he is on board with the sacrifices he/we must make to make this happen. This thread will prove and document our progress.

Where we are at now;
Lance: 11yrs training, w/ 3.5yrs specifically on nunchucks. He just plays with the bow staff and rope dart.
Me: 24yrs training w/ 3.5yrs specifically with bow staff.

Step 1: Learn/relearn self control and basic techniques. Since we are not complete n00bs to these weapons, (with permission from my current instructor to show respect) I have sought out a 7th degree teacher to show my son and I traditional techniques and forms.

I just got off the phone, we are set for next week.

Sub Step 1 Goal: Teach my son spirituality. This will be something completely new to him, and to be honest, will help me tremendously to review. Patience and observation will be our primary focus. Speaking of patience, this thread will be updated for years to come to reflect the true nature of how long it takes to master anything in life.

And so... the journey begins.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2015, 10:54 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

The tools of practice are ready....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150316_135102 (Custom).jpg (122.7 KB, 7 views)

Old March 16th, 2015, 10:57 AM   #3
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

okay.

Old March 16th, 2015, 10:58 AM   #4
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 16th, 2015, 11:03 AM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14

3 sectioned staff steep learning curve there, look forward to your updates

rope dagger is pretty cool as well and no easy task

I am ok with nunchaku and a bow staff but picking up a 3 sectioned staff or a rope dagger for me is just like begging to hurt myself.... ill pass

A similar video to this one popped up on my facebook feed the other day, I can't find that video but these are the same women with very similar routine. Pretty awesome regardless of being rehearsed

Link to original page on YouTube.

So after you and your son are masters of your craft I expect to see a similar video or videos, do you accept this challenge?

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old March 16th, 2015, 11:19 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

That video and those ladies are insanely fast Joe, we are not even close to that yet.

The 3 section staff to my novice outlook is a combo of the solid staff, chucks and whatever else I make it. I am the creative type of person, so I WILL color outside the lines from time to time. My instructor may not like it much but it is what it is...

As you can see, I am not fond of putting a hard or sharp object at the end of a rope right now, as we have only been training for a couple of months. It will be a year or so before I think about something hard or sharp.

I got a video or two already in the works for this thread. Stay tuned!

Old March 16th, 2015, 11:42 AM   #7
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2015, 11:50 AM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
the quality of this clip is utter crap but I can't really find any others, oh well.

Last fight from Jet Li movie Fearless where he uses 3 section staff against Japanese fighter with a Katana. always liked that fight

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old March 16th, 2015, 12:06 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Jet Li is awesome and all, but I am more of a Tony Jaa kinda serious and a Jackie Chan kinda showman for the giggles. bwahahhahaha!

Old March 16th, 2015, 12:18 PM   #10
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
They all have their own uniqueness, I like them all. Jet Li when it comes to form and traditional martial arts is great, Tony Jaa for just raw i'ma beat you in ways you didn't think were possible and Jackie Chan for a great combination of traditional martial arts form and comedic showman ship that just makes for a good time.

Old March 16th, 2015, 01:20 PM   #11
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Nice Chris! I love and have taken martial arts in the past. I have a karambit that I want to learn to use. Taught myself how to use nunchaku's (the foam kind with the chain) from watching too many Bruce Lee movies. I know the very basics of it, but that's about it. Nunchaku's and karambit, are probably my two favorite weapons. It will be fun to watch you and your sons progress, good luck! I'd love a pair of nunchaku's but unless you're training in martial arts, they are illegal in California. Some day, I will get my hands on some.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2015, 01:57 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
my sister trained with the cane. i learned how to use short blades. it's really amazing what she can do with that thing. and it makes you look defenseless until you start using it. my brother trained for a long time with bo staff. i've heard sectional staff is very hard to do well. plan on fighting a swordsman?

Old March 16th, 2015, 03:11 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Old March 16th, 2015, 04:28 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
I have a karambit that I want to learn to use.
You and I have the same end goal about the karambit, but I have a variant that temps me even more.

Old March 16th, 2015, 05:30 PM   #15
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Jet Li is awesome and all, but I am more of a Tony Jaa kinda serious and a Jackie Chan kinda showman for the giggles. bwahahhahaha!
What about Bruce Lee as Kato (Green Hornet's butler)?
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #16
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
You and I have the same end goal about the karambit, but I have a variant that temps me even more.

Oh wow, how do you use that? O_O, I'm off to youtube to see if there are videos on how that maneuvers. I have an idea, but I bet it's tricky to get use to. Does this weapon have a specific name? Or is it just a karambit with a spiked chain attached?
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2015, 07:19 PM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
Oh wow, how do you use that? O_O, I'm off to youtube to see if there are videos on how that maneuvers. I have an idea, but I bet it's tricky to get use to. Does this weapon have a specific name? Or is it just a karambit with a spiked chain attached?
You hold the karambit in your hand, the chain/dart is swung like a rope dart. The chain's length is the practitioner's preference. This one is more of a showpiece or demo item.

This is a more practical and even harder version. Instead of holding the karambit, you swing it around on the chain. Notice the chain length... hahahahah nearly 12f!!!

How does one use them? Watch this and imagine what it is like with a blade on the end(s).

Old March 16th, 2015, 07:23 PM   #18
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Bon Voyage
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2015, 07:34 PM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
Bon Voyage
Yea... hahahahahah It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. This stuff is quite advanced and a bit of time off. I am cool with a tennis ball on a rope and a stick.

Old March 17th, 2015, 12:08 AM   #20
corksil

I'm just gonna continue being blunt and obtuse.

If you get pulled over after a fight with those weapons in your car, you will be perceived as a threat.

If you study an art, and are documented as a practitioner -- the hands of you and your boy may be subject to scrutiny in a court of law.

With great power, comes great responsibility.

It's the old "he knew what he was doing" clause. Teach your boy the basics. Never start a fight. Never get into a fight. Never finish a fight. Fighting is what un-intelligent people do.

Teaching a child to fight is one thing. Teaching a child to protect himself and the livelihood of others is another. Teaching a child to play chess -- that is a different matter entirely.

Punching someone for being dumb is an admissible offence the first time it happens involuntarily. Do not train your child to be violent, or the society will put it behind bars. Please do not ask how I know.

We are all animals -- but we adapt and grow --- we learn to play by the rules. Teach your child the rules, and it will thrive and flourish.

I'm gonna go watch toy story. Cool stuff you are doing, I hope the knowledge serves you and yours quite well.

Old March 17th, 2015, 07:45 AM   #21
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

TC,

Yes - the local police do not like that you have any sort of weapon within reach in your car/truck, best transported in the trunk. The ball and rope (rope dart), hahahahaha they wouldn't even know what it is.

Yes again - The school that I got to has a local reputation of skilled fighters and tournament winners. Most of us are known locally through the community work we do. I am just waiting for the day when this comes up in the local courts. Only time will tell...

My son: He has been taught well, knows his place and composes himself in a good light. He don't go around picking fights acting like "Billy Bad A*s", it's simply not what we do.

Thanks for the concern though.

@snot - Can you do me a favor please? Can you ask around about a man by the name of Steven Hayes. He will be an older gentleman with a grey beard. As far as I know from my research, he is the only surviving American that was a student of the original ninjutsu family lineages in Japan. And he lives in Dayton OH and teaches weapons!!! I would love to have a spot of tea with him and ask many questions. I tried to call, but got no answer. If the below address is near you, could you swing by and at least let me know if he is still in business please?

Quest Center Martial Arts
6236 Far Hills Avenue
Dayton, OH 45459
937-436-9990

Thanks!

Old March 17th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #22
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Spiritual training with my son over a walk in the forest….

As we walk the path, I ask him many questions. I will keep his answers to myself but I will share my questions to help others who may walk the same path.

The Limb over the trail
We happen upon a limb that blocks our walk through the forest. We must choose to duck under the branch or break it for the next traveler. At first this decision seems to be easy, but upon a closer look, the answer is not so clear.

I ask my son;
How much trouble will continue for future passersby?
If one chooses to break the tree/branch will the tree live?
How will the tree live after the break?
Is it so much problem to duck vs. break the tree/branch?
Why is the tree in the path in the first place?

The strong tree
We observe a young but strong tree. It’s trunk wide for its age and branches thick and flexible. It offers a restful stop along the hill.

I ask my son;
The strong tree is a leader, right?
Why is this tree strong?
What made it strong?
What do you observe that it has weathered harder times?
What purpose does strength provide to it's peers and younglings?
For each strong tree, what was given up?
Why does it bend instead of break?

The little tree
As we continue to walk, we come upon a sapling, whose leaves were large but long dried and shriveled after a long, cold winter. Beside it on the ground is a large leaf from a large oak tree. Yet, the leaves were all the same size.

I ask my son;
Should we remove this little tree from the path or leave it?
Will someone behind us come along and trample this tree?
The leaves this little tree makes are the same size as a full adult tree. You are 14, how does that relate to your sisters (11yrs old) leaves and me at 41yrs old?

The broken tree
Continuing down the path, we find a tree that is broken 3ft above the root, about waist high.

I ask my son;
Why did this tree go down?
Can this tree be saved?
What greater sacrifice did it make for the health of the forest?
At any time do you make a sacrifice for the greater good?

Tracks in the dirt
Further down the path are tracks from a deer. We look closer…

I ask my son;
Why are the tracks here?
Do other things leave tracks?
Do people leave tracks?
What kind of tracks to they leave?

The Fork in the path & The look back
When we arrive at a fork in the path, 4 ways. Forward, left, right or backward. There are deer tracks that lead to the left, trees that block our path if we take the path forward and we have never taken the path to the right.

I ask my son;
Which way do we go?
Why do we go that way?
If we turn around and look back, would it yield any clues of which way to go?
Would you go confidently or with reserve?

This all sounds larger than life and all, and maybe above my son's abilities of complex thought but I thought about these questions in depth before asking. Imho... they shape one’s outlook on life and reaction to situations at hand. Based on his answers, I have my work cut out for me to get my son where I feel he needs to be. It doesn't have to match me 100% but needs to be fairly close as he is allowed to own his beliefs as well.

Old March 17th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #23
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Chris, I am working on your request.

Old March 17th, 2015, 05:48 PM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Thank you very much.

Old March 17th, 2015, 06:08 PM   #25
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Did you see this?
www.ninjaselfdefense.com/events/

Old March 17th, 2015, 06:17 PM   #26
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Yep, I need to know costs and such. Which is not on the site, that is why I need to call.

Old March 17th, 2015, 06:19 PM   #27
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
I sent an email asking for info. too.

Old March 17th, 2015, 07:15 PM   #28
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Cool! I sent an email as well. I tried to leave a msg but the mailbox wasn't accepting new vm's.

Old March 20th, 2015, 02:31 PM   #29
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
End of training:

Last futzed with by dcj13; March 20th, 2015 at 04:43 PM.

Old March 21st, 2015, 11:43 PM   #30
corksil

kyumg sun - humility
him cho chung - control of power
eh neh - endurance
chung jik - honesty
shin chook - tension relaxation
yong ghi - courage
chun shin tong il - concentration
wan gup - speed control

I'm working from memory here, but I've learned that most of the various forms and teachings stem from similar beliefs centered around simplicity.

Enlightenment is not a process of addition. It is a process of subtraction. You do not achieve a state of refinement by learning new teachings. You learn that brevity and refinement are linked. Content with nothing. But in having, you are pleased. Again though; with nothing -- that is the state in which happiness comes most freely.

Western culture has us all scrambling for the next quick fix. We are a magic pill society. Magic does not exist -- and learning the simple discipline of being content with the dis-ease of the world allows a perspective shift.

Perhaps it wise to teach your boy the "four agreements" -- such simple concepts, yet they can govern and entire way of live onto a path of simplicity.

Simplicity.

Refinement.

Progress is an illusion -- I don't have any answers. May you find your own peace.

'always do your best'
'be impeccable with your word'
'make no assumptions'
'don't take anything personally'

If you have trouble remembering this isht, write it on a piece of paper and hang it on the toilet tank; so each morning when you take a piss, you can freshen the concepts in your mind as you wake and begin to go about your day.

Maybe you should also teach your boy the ways of ghandi.

Be sure to teach him the part about how "ufkc bitches" is perhaps meaning actually to disregard the wiles of women and their womanly ways, and how attaining financial status is more key and paramount to success in life.

This post is half serious. It's up to you to decide which half is which.

Old March 22nd, 2015, 07:15 AM   #31
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

TC, you're too much brah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
Enlightenment is not a process of addition. It is a process of subtraction.
Yes, and pictured below.

Old March 22nd, 2015, 10:29 AM   #32
snot
sammich maker

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Cool! I sent an email as well. I tried to leave a msg but the mailbox wasn't accepting new vm's.
What I received:Thank you for your email.

Do you live in the Dayton area? If so, please contact the school at (937) 436-9990 or via email at daytonquest@skhquest.com.

Sincerely,

Wendy

Old March 23rd, 2015, 12:45 PM   #33
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Thank you snot! It has been handled.

Update...

You are getting faster, but you must go even faster, yet slower at the same time.... - my teacher

Old March 23rd, 2015, 09:06 PM   #34
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Ugggg, practice tonight sucked. I was graceful as a wounded walrus on a rocky beach and hurt my hip & knee. /sigh... maybe tomorrow will be better. Lance did pretty good, damn kids ahhhhh youth. lol

Old March 23rd, 2015, 11:26 PM   #35
corksil

The effort is what counts.

The last thing I'm going to say on this one is this.... "As long as you recognize a "teacher" -- as someone who has more knowledge than you; you will continue to belittle yourself and your ability.

A final step in any form of knowledge, is washing your hands of the past -- breaking ties, and knowing -- without any shadow of a doubt -- that you have the tools you need to move in whichever direction you see fit.

In simple terms -- by looking up to someone, you neuter your ability to think for yourself. Trust in one's ability -- not in the criticism of another.

Any good teacher will reach a point when they cast out their students. They will say "I am humble, and I am not your god. Believe in me no longer, for I have nothing left to teach you. Go forth with the tools that I have given you, and make yourself proud. For I am no longer watching you -- as you are no longer my student."

But don't take any of my advice seriously, for I am none different than any other idiot preaching on the internet.

Old March 25th, 2015, 01:07 PM   #36
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
The last thing I'm going to say on this one is this.... "As long as you recognize a "teacher" -- as someone who has more knowledge than you; you will continue to belittle yourself and your ability.
You comment some interesting stuff on this subject that challenges my thinking. I like it. However, a "teacher", imho is much more than someone with more knowledge than you. After 13yrs, they become family.

When learning any "art" in life, the physical aspect is but only a small portion of a larger whole. Riding a bike, racing a bike, 540 spin kicks are just the same in my eyes.

The main update is!!! I ordered my practice 3 section staff today, 2 day delivery! Can't wait!

Old March 25th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #37
dcj13
Participant

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
TC, you're too much brah.

I love eastern philosophy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zen.jpg (84.7 KB, 10 views)

Old March 26th, 2015, 10:07 AM   #38
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
First off, how did I miss this thread
sounds like a hell of a journey, I've been wanting to get into a proper martial art for a while now but haven't had the time, perhaps I'll set up my schedule in the fall to be able to get into kickboxing or the like.
I picked up "twin swords" as a kid, which was really using two short bamboo "swords" at the same time. Still have them and they can do some serious damage if you know what you're doing. I used to have a friend that I sparred with who liked the same setup and we always ended up with welts

It did teach me one thing in particular, and that was not how to fight proficiently with "two swords". It taught me balance, in all things not just martial arts. The technique involved with those is delicate and you must juggle multiple things at once in harmony. Always attacking, always defending your mind is in many places at once. Few things where more exhilarating than dodging to the side while counterattacking and preparing for my opponent to attempt his own counter all in one fluid motion.

The more I think of it the more I realize that I should return to my own martial arts journey as there is still much to learn and experience. There is one quality that I need within my own life that comes from martial arts, discipline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
A similar video to this one popped up on my facebook feed the other day, I can't find that video but these are the same women with very similar routine. Pretty awesome regardless of being rehearsed
Damn, that video is intense!

Quote:

That thing looks beastly, I've only ever seen those in mortal kombat hahaha

Quote:
You are getting faster, but you must go even faster, yet slower at the same time.... - my teacher
You have a wise teacher, his advice applies directly to riding/racing too. Though he really means smoother rather than slower...I think

Old March 26th, 2015, 10:45 PM   #39
corksil

A cup is made of clay. But only the space at the center can hold water.

Old March 27th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #40
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
A cup is made of clay. But only the space at the center can hold water.
You're an odd fellow a lot of the time, sometimes it even feels like you're intentionally messing with people for a good laugh

but it's posts like these that make me like you and accept you for the goofball you are