Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old February 12th, 2012, 02:32 AM   #1
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): None yet

Hey Guys! New without a bike... Yet.

A little abouit me:

Name is Nick, I live in sunny southern California, in a city named Oceanside. I am a locksmith by trade.

So, After hours and hours of research and debating I have decided that I can see a ninja in my future. Months of debate has led me to believe I can save money and finally justify wanting a bike as I have always wanted for as long as I remember. My commute to work is 6 miles each way, which isnt that bad, until you see that the hours I work put me on my way to and from work in rush hour traffic that takes and average of 45 minutes. What I currently drive gets ~10 MPG and costs me 30$ every 3-4days so it should work out.

The bike I am currently wanting is an 04 and maybe you guys can give me some input on it, so here it is.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/mcy/2813253031.html

Glad to be here and hope to pick something up rather quick and get out there A.S.A.P.!
That1Guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2012, 03:26 AM   #2
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

That1Guy! Glad to have you aboard...

Old February 12th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Nick!

I checked your ad for the 04. Looks ok I guess. But he says it revs high without throttle. You have to ask yourself why this is? Carbs need cleaned? At 7400 miles, isn't it due for the first scheduled valve adjustment? I would ask about service history.

Good luck and ride safe!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #4
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome Nick!

I checked your ad for the 04. Looks ok I guess. But he says it revs high without throttle. You have to ask yourself why this is? Carbs need cleaned? At 7400 miles, isn't it due for the first scheduled valve adjustment? I would ask about service history.

Good luck and ride safe!
Ya, she says it revs high, but dropss back down to normal, just slower than usual. Im sure the carbs could use a cleaning and probably a valve adjustment, both of which I am capable of doing. I almost forgot to ask the history but will now, and hopefully being female owned it wasnt beat on too hard!

Old February 12th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

Welcome to the forums!!! I too am from Oceanside (Camp Pendleton to be exact) we have a great group of SoCal members that are more than willing to help one another out!!! It would also be cool to have someone in the same city as right now the closest is Vista (alex.s)... anyway, let us know if you need anything and also keep your eyes peeled on the group rides section for our next gtg.

You can also PM me if you'd like
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #6
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Welcome! The bike ia a decent choice, though I would still do some thorough testing and examination. Sounds like the throttle is sticking or the carbs needs cleaning. I would also try to get it a biy cheaper due to the damage and the way it runs. Good luck and let us know what happens.
all the best, GA
greenaero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Mako
I'm a shark

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Blue Ninja 250r, Bullet X-7

Welcome! Glad to see another Socal rider join the forums

Old February 12th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #8
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
Welcome to the forums!!! I too am from Oceanside (Camp Pendleton to be exact) we have a great group of SoCal members that are more than willing to help one another out!!! It would also be cool to have someone in the same city as right now the closest is Vista (alex.s)... anyway, let us know if you need anything and also keep your eyes peeled on the group rides section for our next gtg.

You can also PM me if you'd like
I am maybe 2 miles from the gate, right by the Fresh and Easy and the Fire Dept. I look forward to getting together with the So-Cal guys once I can get my hands on something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
Welcome! The bike ia a decent choice, though I would still do some thorough testing and examination. Sounds like the throttle is sticking or the carbs needs cleaning. I would also try to get it a biy cheaper due to the damage and the way it runs. Good luck and let us know what happens.
all the best, GA
Ya, its a 70 mile drive so if it doesnt sell by the time I come up with the cash I will probably offer 1k. She said she has been getting offers like that but also says she is firm on price so we will see.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #9
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Here is another possibility. Maybe even better.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/mcy/2819855460.html

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:56 PM   #10
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Cool! Another guy, who has the same name, who wants a bike! Welcome!

Old February 12th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #11
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
Cool! Another guy, who has the same name, who wants a bike! Welcome!
Only opposite sides of the country, Thanks!

Old February 12th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #12
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Yeah. NY has a county called Orange County as well!

Old February 13th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #13
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2012, 02:52 PM   #14
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Well got some good news on the first bike last night. Other than being female owned she said she has never had it over 60mph! So chances are other than the idle issue it mayy be it pretty sound shape.

Old February 13th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #15
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Welcome Nick, I just want to let you know that motorcycling will not save you any money. I was under the same impression as you when I picked up my first bike last year and I have been happily disappointed in how much more money it has cost me. When you take a good honest look at what the bike will/has cost you it's easy to see that while it may not cost you much more money, it certainly won't save you money. It will however save you time and get you places much quicker than a car.

Now, be honest with yourself, do you really want a bike so you can save money? Or do you just want to be a badass on a 250?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2012, 04:42 PM   #16
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Welcome Nick, I just want to let you know that motorcycling will not save you any money. I was under the same impression as you when I picked up my first bike last year and I have been happily disappointed in how much more money it has cost me. When you take a good honest look at what the bike will/has cost you it's easy to see that while it may not cost you much more money, it certainly won't save you money. It will however save you time and get you places much quicker than a car.

Now, be honest with yourself, do you really want a bike so you can save money? Or do you just want to be a badass on a 250?
I am fully convinced that I will have more money in my pocket at the end of most months, I am a numbers person and always crunch the numbers when making decisions like this and ya when I have to do maintenance and what-not I may not make it out ahead but the money I save between gas and insurance should be quite a bit. 50 dollars a week vs on the very high side 40 a month should even should even cover maintenance.

To answer your other question, even if I dont save money it is a way for me to justify getting a bike like I have always wanted.

Old February 13th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by That1Guy View Post

To answer your other question, even if I dont save money it is a way for me to justify getting a bike like I have always wanted.
You can use this spreadsheet for calculating how much your bike has cost you. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90503

And if you actually manage to save money while enjoying your new hobby, then to you
AFM #676

Old February 13th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #18
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You can use this spreadsheet for calculating how much your bike has cost you. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90503

And if you actually manage to save money while enjoying your new hobby, then to you
That sheet is perfect! I am definitely going to use it, do one for my chevy and a bike and see what happens! Can't believe I am actually excited about doing that but it sure beats this hangover!

Old February 13th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #19
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
That sheet is perfect! I am definitely going to use it, do one for my chevy and a bike and see what happens! Can't believe I am actually excited about doing that but it sure beats this hangover!
Hold on I just updated it to be more accurate per motorcycle, download the one I just posted at the end of the thread
AFM #676

Old February 13th, 2012, 05:41 PM   #20
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hold on I just updated it to be more accurate per motorcycle, download the one I just posted at the end of the thread
Will do

Old February 13th, 2012, 06:13 PM   #21
TeamGreen
ninjette.org member

Name: Keven

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250 Green, 00 R6

Welcome, my only advice for now is to shop around and not rush into anything. There are always Ninjas in the $1000-$2000 range. The second one you posted has over 80,000 miles while most ninjas I see for sale have less than 10,000. Good luck on the search.
TeamGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2012, 06:39 PM   #22
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Ok, So what I did was figured out my chevy for the 6 years I have driven it and made a seperate sheet with averages for a motorcycle for the same 6 years.

Chevy cost $27 a day with a total of 60k over the last 6 years. Since the sheets dont say anything about maintenance I will add 6k for maintenance over the 6 years. This includes 2 transmissions.

total: ~66,000

Motorcycle cost 5.30 a day with a total of just under 11.5k, I will add a probably very high figure of 4k for maintenance to the motorcycle over the 6 years.

total: ~15.5k

Old February 13th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #23
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Ok, So what I did was figured out my chevy for the 6 years I have driven it and made a seperate sheet with averages for a motorcycle for the same 6 years.

Chevy cost $27 a day with a total of 60k over the last 6 years. Since the sheets dont say anything about maintenance I will add 6k for maintenance over the 6 years. This includes 2 transmissions.

total: ~66,000

Motorcycle cost 5.30 a day with a total of just under 11.5k, I will add a probably very high figure of 4k for maintenance to the motorcycle over the 6 years.

total: ~15.5k
But will you be selling your car and solely relying on the motorcycle? If not then the motorcycle is an additional cost not a replacement. And for maintenance I just put the amounts into the Cost of Mods tab
AFM #676

Old February 13th, 2012, 06:54 PM   #24
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
But will you be selling your car and solely relying on the motorcycle? If not then the motorcycle is an additional cost not a replacement. And for maintenance I just put the amounts into the Cost of Mods tab
No I just used that as an example. I will be cutting my usage of it way down to grocery getting and the maybe twice a year camping trip, My insurance will go down from where its at now as I will be dropping my bug that hasnt been driven in years and adding the motorcycle. I am trying to figure out a way to use the spreadsheet to show how I should come out ahead.

Old February 13th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
No I just used that as an example. I will be cutting my usage of it way down to grocery getting and the maybe twice a year camping trip, My insurance will go down from where its at now as I will be dropping my bug that hasnt been driven in years and adding the motorcycle. I am trying to figure out a way to use the spreadsheet to show how I should come out ahead.
You can simply put negative numbers in under one of the motorcycle tabs. Or you could make a new section under the motorcycle part for cars and put in figures relating to cars expenses. Then subtract that amount from the "cost of motorcycling" and hope for a negative number.

The tracker is set to be updated to the current day so the cool thing is you will see the exact moment that the added cost of motorcycling becomes more efficient.
AFM #676

Old February 13th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #26
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You can simply put negative numbers in under one of the motorcycle tabs. Or you could make a new section under the motorcycle part for cars and put in figures relating to cars expenses. Then subtract that amount from the "cost of motorcycling" and hope for a negative number.

The tracker is set to be updated to the current day so the cool thing is you will see the exact moment that the added cost of motorcycling becomes more efficient.
That is pretty much what I was thinking. Will probably have to wait until I get something to properly figure it out.

Old February 13th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #27
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Good luck!

Old February 15th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #28
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 16th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #29
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Angry

Well today I got up all confident expecting to walk into my credit union, get a small loan to pick up a bike and walk out. Well I walk into the credit union, sit with a loan person and came the bad news. Even though my parents started the account before I was able to walk and I have nothing but good reported on my credit for the last 6 years with a vehicle loan and a credit card all in good standing with a 700+ score they denied me for 1500. They gave no real reason as to why the denied me so now I have no clue what I am going to do.

Old February 16th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #30
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Well today I got up all confident expecting to walk into my credit union, get a small loan to pick up a bike and walk out. Well I walk into the credit union, sit with a loan person and came the bad news. Even though my parents started the account before I was able to walk and I have nothing but good reported on my credit for the last 6 years with a vehicle loan and a credit card all in good standing with a 700+ score they denied me for 1500. They gave no real reason as to why the denied me so now I have no clue what I am going to do.
It's because 1500 is too small of an amount to finance. If you were trying to buy a new bike they would probably approve you. For 1500, stick it on a credit card and pay it off, or save up the money
AFM #676

Old February 16th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #31
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
It's because 1500 is too small of an amount to finance. If you were trying to buy a new bike they would probably approve you. For 1500, stick it on a credit card and pay it off, or save up the money
Nah 1500 is perfect for a personal loan. I didnt tell them it was for a bike. My credit union is notoriously hard to get any kind of loan at. Not willing to put that on a credit card and saving up the money is really tough.

Old February 16th, 2012, 07:08 PM   #32
Mako
I'm a shark

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): '10 Blue Ninja 250r, Bullet X-7

Quote:
Nah 1500 is perfect for a personal loan. I didnt tell them it was for a bike. My credit union is notoriously hard to get any kind of loan at. Not willing to put that on a credit card and saving up the money is really tough.
do you have SchoolsFirst? same thing happened to me - it's because it is too small of a loan, try applying for 3k?

Old February 16th, 2012, 07:14 PM   #33
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
do you have SchoolsFirst? same thing happened to me - it's because it is too small of a loan, try applying for 3k?
SchoolsFirst?? I am fairly certain the amount had nothing to do with it, if I had to guess why I would assume its because of my monthly income(1600 dollars/month)

Old February 16th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #34
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Why would you say he's wrong if he just said why you didn't get the loan, if he possibly has the same type of account

Old February 17th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #35
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Why would you say he's wrong if he just said why you didn't get the loan, if he possibly has the same type of account
Im kinda confused with this, but at my credit union personal loans can be whatever amount you want and they typically wont discriminate on a low amount as long as you meet the guidelines which I do except for the monthly income by very little.

Old February 17th, 2012, 01:28 AM   #36
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Im kinda confused with this, but at my credit union personal loans can be whatever amount you want and they typically wont discriminate on a low amount as long as you meet the guidelines which I do except for the monthly income by very little.
Just write down that you make more, they don't check
AFM #676

Old February 17th, 2012, 01:38 AM   #37
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Just write down that you make more, they don't check
Ya I might try this, but I am so mad at this credit union that I will probably try and find another. I may just ask my grandpa though because he always said if I plan on getting a new vehicle to let him know because he will help on the price, both siblings have taken advantage of this but I know he doesnt like the idea of a bike and I dont want to ask him.

Old February 20th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #38
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Well hopefully this is legit, What do you guys think? I think I would like the blue one, but if it is 400 for both I will probably scoop both up and see which one I can get running.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcd/2860790485.html

Old February 20th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #39
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
He said if you have a 'schoolfirst' account, then it's probably why.

Old February 20th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #40
That1Guy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
He said if you have a 'schoolfirst' account, then it's probably why.
I looked it up, schoolsfirst is a credit union somewhere up north that If I remember correctly caters to teachers and their families?? Either way it doesnt pertain to me because Im thru a different credit union.