ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 8th, 2014, 05:02 PM   #1
Gaorilla
ninjette.org member

Name: henry

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250

how to wire LED license plate lights from stock cables?

Hello fellow riders,
I don't like messing with electrical stuff, and I don't want to mess up my bike. Anyway, Im doing the fender chop, and bought 2 license plate bolt lights. The problem is that the stock plate light has 2 cables (1 +, 1-), and the 2 led plate lights have four cables (1+,1- for each light as seen in picture).

How do I go about wiring these? Can I mix the 2 black wires to the cable that is coming from the battery? I don't know if this affects the voltage and so on.

Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Bolt-Add-O...35cc36&vxp=mtr
Gaorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #2
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

tie them both at the tail light connectors will not affect the voltage at all. let us know how you like them.

Old July 11th, 2014, 05:57 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I combined my positive and negative wires then ran both to the tail light.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
If you don't like messing with electrical stuff and don't want to solder the wires together, using a quick splice wire connector can link the wires easily.

You run the existing line through one side, twist together the two new lines (pos to pos, neg to neg) and run the combined line through the other side, pinch the metal part down to break through the plastic coating, then snap the cover in place. Electrical tape afterwards covers the whole thing and protects it.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 11th, 2014, 09:30 AM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
If you don't like messing with electrical stuff and don't want to solder the wires together, using a quick splice wire connector can link the wires easily.

You run the existing line through one side, twist together the two new lines (pos to pos, neg to neg) and run the combined line through the other side, pinch the metal part down to break through the plastic coating, then snap the cover in place. Electrical tape afterwards covers the whole thing and protects it.

That's exactly what I used.

I'm going to be moving it all to my new swingarm mount so I'm going to have to break it all out again.

Old July 11th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #6
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I'm not the best but I've taken to soldering and using heat shrink over any wiring doohickey thing that I do. I really need to learn how to solder properly.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #7
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Harbor freight has those splice thingys

Old July 12th, 2014, 09:24 AM   #8
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
They usually work ok, but those buddy taps aren't the best. You're counting on the metal part to cut through the wires' insulation and make good contact with the copper, without being too far off and cutting through the wire.

Directly soldering all wire joints together also isn't the best solution on a bike. The actual solder joint is now a solid chunk of metal rather than flexible wire, plus the heat can make things a bit more brittle. This can lead to wire breaks next to the solder joint.

Though they can seem a bit cheap, bullet/spade/etc. connectors properly soldered to the wires are secure while still allowing a bit of movement due to vibration. They can also be easily disconnected for disassembly in the future (obviously more important in some places than others). You can get Metri-Pack and other fancy connectors for multiple-wire and waterproof connections too.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

They call that an IDC (Insulation Displacement Connector) and the taps are color-coded for different wire thicknesses. Even ribbon cables in old PCs are IDC (EIDE/UDMA, floppy, etc). Terminals are every bit as rigid as a solder connection, so it only helps if the stranded wire breaks on the side that can easily be disconnected and repaired.

Old July 12th, 2014, 03:01 PM   #10
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I use butt splices to join wires and then heat shrink it. It'll last as long as the bike does.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #11
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
They usually work ok, but those buddy taps aren't the best. You're counting on the metal part to cut through the wires' insulation and make good contact with the copper, without being too far off and cutting through the wire.

Directly soldering all wire joints together also isn't the best solution on a bike. The actual solder joint is now a solid chunk of metal rather than flexible wire, plus the heat can make things a bit more brittle. This can lead to wire breaks next to the solder joint.

Though they can seem a bit cheap, bullet/spade/etc. connectors properly soldered to the wires are secure while still allowing a bit of movement due to vibration. They can also be easily disconnected for disassembly in the future (obviously more important in some places than others). You can get Metri-Pack and other fancy connectors for multiple-wire and waterproof connections too.
These are good, but you have to have the right size connector for the right size wire. If you have two different sized wires, it can be tricky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
I use butt splices to join wires and then heat shrink it. It'll last as long as the bike does.
I work in a food manufacturing plant and we deal with a lot of different voltages (24VDC, 30VDC, 120VAC, 220VAC, 240VAC, 277VAC, 460VAC, 480VAC, 1Ph and 3Ph) and WATER! I do the butt splice + sealing heat shrink and it does extremely well in sealing the connection, keeping it water tight and lasting for years. The sealing heat shrink is more expensive, but as you apply heat to it, glue on the inside turns to liquid, sealing up the ends. Just sucks years later when you deal with the wire again, as you're cutting out that section.