ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old May 4th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Name: L

Motorcycle(s): '09 250R, '13 CBR500R

CBR500R

Picked up my CBR500R ABS today! Was deciding between the 300 and the CBR500R, but comparing the prices of 300 ABS to a CBR500R ABS and the specs, it's a no brainer. I'm still keeping the 250 to blast around on the track. The CBR will be my new daily commuter. I believe in the US, ABS is only available in red. I wanted the white HRC tri-color, but it didn't have ABS.

Positives: The ride home from the dealer, I am doing motoman's break in method, yes this thing definitely has torque! I took some back roads home and I think this bike can definitely hold it's own in the twisties. It's going to make a great daily commuter and weekend warrior. I love the looks, subjective of course, but it really does look better in person than in those brochure photoshoots. It just looks simpler than the ninja 300, which has IMO too much going on. My insurance is like only $5 more than what I'm paying for the 250, so that's awesome too.

Gripes so far: The stock rearsets, I am so used to the more aggressive position on my modded 250 that everything felt strange. I can't wait for them to come out with clip-ons and rearsets. The stock exhaust, it's super quiet, large, and ugly. Will definitely get a slip-on or full system. Can't wait for the mods to start coming out for this bike.

Now for the pics:

Old May 4th, 2013, 05:30 PM   #2
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Looks good! I really like the new Honda 500s! How does it compare to the 250? I'v been thinking about purchasing one, but I'm worried the power upgrade won't be enough.

Old May 4th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #3
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Looks good! Those rear sets look like they could be pricy to replace though. I've never seen a set like that in such a large piece.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2013, 06:11 PM   #4
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Congratz on the new bike!!!

Old May 4th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #5
joshuajcrouch
ninjette.org member

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Great looking bike. Take pix and post them up when you start modding. What size rear tire is that on the CBR? 150 or 160?

...and love your Ninja too.
joshuajcrouch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2013, 08:11 PM   #6
fleemos
ninjette.org guru

Name: Darren

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Yamaha FZ6R, 2014 Suzuki GSX-R600

Congrats on the new bike! I don't think the exhaust is too big but I just don't like the chrome.
fleemos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2013, 09:14 PM   #7
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

@gt_turbo Awesome!!! It's a shame the HRC tri-color is not offered with the ABS. I would have to have the HRC scheme. It looks so good! But I think the red and black looks pretty nice as well. Can't wait to hear more about how it compares to the 250 after you've owned it for a little while.

You thinking of a CBR600RR front end swap on this one!?! I bet it would be less difficult than the 250 swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker View Post
Looks good! Those rear sets look like they could be pricy to replace though. I've never seen a set like that in such a large piece.
I guess you haven't seen the older ninja 650's. Now those are some massive rearsets.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #8
himynameisjoe
ninjette.org sage

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250(Totaled)

Love these... A lot a lot! The only problem is they're honda, and they're so narrow.It makes me feel almost claustrophobic every time I sit on a honda. But that may be easy to get over once you ride it for a day.

Old May 5th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #9
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Congrats on the 500r! I have been seriously considering a black one as my next upgrade. Let us know your thoughts on the power difference between the 500 and 250 once you get to know the bike.

How's the seat? Comfy?

And does it seem taller than the 250? Thanks
Ride safe, bud!
Madman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 02:46 AM   #10
ZackoFF96
ninjette.org member

Name: Zacko

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

congrats on the 500r ! but i think the 250 looks better
ZackoFF96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 04:10 AM   #11
shovit
ninjette.org newbie

Name: *

Motorcycle(s): *

By the looks of the stock clip-ons it almost looks like you can move them below the triple.
shovit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 04:55 AM   #12
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post

I guess you haven't seen the older ninja 650's. Now those are some massive rearsets.
Completely forgot about those, and I've ridden one before. Lol
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #13
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleemos View Post
Congrats on the new bike! I don't think the exhaust is too big but I just don't like the chrome.
agreed, not a fan of chrome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
@gt_turbo Awesome!!! It's a shame the HRC tri-color is not offered with the ABS.

You thinking of a CBR600RR front end swap on this one!?! I bet it would be less difficult than the 250 swap.
Canada is getting the tri-color ABS. Darn Canadians! And yes, the thought of swapping forks with a CBR600 has cross my mind. But I think I won't doing anything too major for at least the first couple thousand miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himynameisjoe View Post
Love these... A lot a lot! The only problem is they're honda, and they're so narrow.It makes me feel almost claustrophobic every time I sit on a honda. But that may be easy to get over once you ride it for a day.
I am short guy like 29" in seam, so I love the narrowness of the seat and how tight Honda makes the rider triangle. But reportedly a lot of 6'+ ppl prefer the size of the CBR500R over the 300 at least on the CBR500 forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman44 View Post
Let us know your thoughts on the power difference between the 500 and 250 once you get to know the bike.

How's the seat? Comfy?

And does it seem taller than the 250? Thanks
Ride safe, bud!
I'll do a follow up after more seat time. And the seat is soft and super comfy, nothing like that hard foam or whatever the 250 has. And for me being short, I sit close to the tank a lot, so I will not be missing any of that ball busting that sometimes occurs when braking.

O yea, on paper it is like half inch taller seat height than the 250. But due to the seat being narrower than the 250, I don't even feel a difference. I can get the balls of my feet down on both bikes. My modded 250 sits a little higher than stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shovit View Post
By the looks of the stock clip-ons it almost looks like you can move them below the triple.
Yes, I thought of this too when I saw it in the show room. Maybe it is that easy? I'll have to take a closer look.

Another thing I do miss compared to the 250, Honda did not put a cat in the gas tank. My 250 was mewing at me as I was moving the bikes around the garage.

Old May 5th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #14
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuajcrouch View Post
Great looking bike. Take pix and post them up when you start modding. What size rear tire is that on the CBR? 150 or 160?
I'll post pics of mods, but it might be a while before they hit the market. The rear is 160 iirc. I really like the wheels on this bike too.

Old May 5th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #15
KawiKid860

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Wanna race? 500 vs 500 lets go! I do like these new honda 500s, it's a very Honda design, I can see bits of CBR and VFR in it! Would be a hard choice for me between this and the 300 if I had cash for a new bike and needed to replace my current 500.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 04:37 AM   #16
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawiKid860 View Post
Wanna race? 500 vs 500 lets go! I do like these new honda 500s, it's a very Honda design, I can see bits of CBR and VFR in it! Would be a hard choice for me between this and the 300 if I had cash for a new bike and needed to replace my current 500.
lol. i know you got me in the HP department. i wish kawi would have redesigned and released the 300 as a 500 and then just added fuel injection to the old 250. now the price of the 300 is too close to Honda's 500. and yea I definitely see resemblance to the CBR1000RR.

Old May 6th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #17
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I sat on the 500s at COTA and really liked the naked version. Would be a really great all around commuter, fun, small bike. Looking forward to seeing the mods come in on this one.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 07:08 AM   #18
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Nice looking bikes
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 6th, 2013, 07:20 AM   #19
Nemesis
CVMA #74 WSMC #750

Name: Nemesis

Motorcycle(s): All of them

Nice!

What's the redline on that thing?

I believe the EJC are racing these bikes. They looked super fast in the race vid but not sure just how fast.

Old May 6th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #20
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Nice!

What's the redline on that thing?

I believe the EJC are racing these bikes. They looked super fast in the race vid but not sure just how fast.
redlines at 8.5k, right about there.

i want those rearsets, exhaust, clip-ons... just gimme everything.

i want those rearsets, exhaust, clip-ons... just gimme everything on top.

Old May 6th, 2013, 09:42 PM   #21
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

8.5k? wow, what does that feel like compared to the 250? that's like me car lol

also, what's it like on the freeway?

Old May 6th, 2013, 09:51 PM   #22
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I'm sure there'll be good weight savings just with the exhaust and rearsets...

Old May 6th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #23
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Congrats on the new bike!! I didn't get the chance to even see one of these in person but I'll admit, your pictures did make it a tiny bit more attractive than the terrible stock pictures from Honda. Must be the sexy red
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #24
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

This motor is built for torque, not high revving like the ninjette. I was skeptical to, thinking I'd be missing out on the high rev fun. But the torque makes this bike move quickly very easily and still very exciting.

Old May 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #25
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I haven't found any dyno sheets from full exhaust manufacturers. I'm curious to see if their intent was to keep the torquey character of the 500 or if they wanted to improve the top end and make it more revvy, like the ninjette.

I also wonder how it responds to ignition advancing, etc.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 10:12 AM   #26
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

The guy that works in the shop below my office suite just brought one, I chatted with him for a bit about it, he upgraded from a Honda 125CBF and he's loving it.

Seeing it parked next to my bike, it looks a lot bigger, the engine looks massive in it, very easily mistaken for a 600, infact before I realised it was a 500 I thought "A 600 with only one front disc?!" very nice bike in the flesh, pictures don't quite do them justice.
Joshorilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #27
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I haven't found any dyno sheets from full exhaust manufacturers. I'm curious to see if their intent was to keep the torquey character of the 500 or if they wanted to improve the top end and make it more revvy, like the ninjette.

I also wonder how it responds to ignition advancing, etc.
The only one I have seen is Tyga's so far. The curve is very smooth. This bike is deigned for torque, it's a nice change from the 250.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old May 7th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #28
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Wow even in stock form, that's one smooth power/torque curve. Great find. I want to know what Tyga did to that bike. I feel like they could have gotten more than 1 tq and 1 hp.

Old May 7th, 2013, 12:56 PM   #29
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Stock exhausts now days are very good, being a brand new bike, the typical belief that the exhaust restricts the system isn't nearly as true as it was ten years ago, so the performance gains aren't as pronounced.

It looks like they just put a magot slip-on on it, it's nice they got a linear performance increase with it, no dips, but it goes to show how well tuned the exhaust system is on this bike from the factory.

I have a feeling that the key to performance gains on this bike would be a better fuel map, iron it out for performance rather than reducing emissions which they tend to be programmed more for nowadays.

EDIT: If Tyga are boasting such modest gains from the 500, it gives more credit to their questionable stated gains with their full system on the Ninja 250r.

Old May 7th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #30
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
What's the price difference between the 300 and 500 with abs?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 7th, 2013, 01:03 PM   #31
Joshorilla
Bass Master General

Over here the 500 with ABS is £4000 + £500 for ABS

My Ninja 250r was £4000

The Ninja 300 is currently reduced at £4199 + £££ for ABS

The 500 is a no-brainer here

Old May 7th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #32
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
^^ I was wondering about the system vs the fuel map. I looks to me like it's only a slip-on and I doubt they changed the fueling at all.

But I have to disagree with you a little. I'll agree that the fueling makes a huge difference and that stock exhausts have some a lot way. But you're going to get better gains every time with an aftermarket full exhaust system over a stock system, assuming you adjust the fuel curve on both of them.

Old May 7th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #33
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
What's the price difference between the 300 and 500 with abs?
MSRP for a 300 ABS is $5500
MSRP for a 500 ABS is $6500

according to the 300 price thread it appears 7 out 15 ppl with 300 ABS paid between $6300-$6700 OTD. I paid $6900 for my 500 OTD. I've seen most ppl on the 500 forums reporting about $7200-$7500.

Old May 7th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #34
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

There's also the CB500F that I'm considering, with ABS I was quoted $6,700 OTD by my local dealer.

Old May 29th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #35
Slono
ninjette.org guru

Name: Solon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2007 SV650s (deer wrecked), 2010 Suzuki SV650S

Do people hate the sv650s or something? I'd say they blow the cbr500 out of the water for what they're valued at on the used market these days. I picked a 2010 ABS model sv650 for $5900 in Canada with mods... In the states they probably go for a least a $1000 cheaper.
Slono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2013, 12:14 PM   #36
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Suzuki hasn't sold a new SV650 in the US since 2008, so the very newest used examples are already pushing 5 years old. The Gladius, which replaced it for a year or two, didn't have nearly the same fanbase.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2013, 12:29 PM   #37
ChrisMKV
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250, 2015 F800R

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
There's also the CB500F that I'm considering, with ABS I was quoted $6,700 OTD by my local dealer.
While I was stopped at a red light today, someone pulled up on a brand new white 500F.

Have to say the pictures really do not do it justice at all, looks absolutely the business in person. No-nonsense practical modern naked bike like. I like

Bit disappointed in the exhaust though, sounded almost like a car. I guess it makes sense for the general styling of the bike, and the point is of course highly subjective...
ChrisMKV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2013, 04:07 PM   #38
gt_turbo
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slono View Post
Do people hate the sv650s or something? I'd say they blow the cbr500 out of the water for what they're valued at on the used market these days. I picked a 2010 ABS model sv650 for $5900 in Canada with mods... In the states they probably go for a least a $1000 cheaper.
actually i wanted a 07-08 sv650 naked. i don't like the huge headlights on the faired version. but was not able to find one in my area, so i went with the cbr500r. definitely not as fast but still a great bike.

Old May 30th, 2013, 05:00 PM   #39
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I recently saw a CBR500R next to Ninja300 the other day in my local dealer. I gotta say, in pictures I like the 500R better, but in person I dig the 300. The 500R just does nothing for me

As a rider of an 'ugly-ass' pregen, I should know that a test ride says a lot more than just a glance

Old May 31st, 2013, 12:24 PM   #40
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Yeah, me, too, when I saw both the R and the F live at the dealer, I was like "meh". Then I said what the heck, for $5500+ why not. And I'm still hooked Ok gotta go for a ride now.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.