ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old May 21st, 2014, 10:39 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

2 damaged headlight assys: Cheapest HID projectors? Cheapest salvage/repair options?

I have a cracked J headlight with a good reflector and an intact J headlight with a corroded reflector (black splotches in the chrome that don't come off).

I originally bought the cracked one to experiment with on the F bike before the other was unexpectedly ruined by the elements, so I ultimately still want two working headlights. IOW, I don't want to pilfer from one just to save the other. That said, I am pretty cheap and don't want to spent too much on upgrading or repairing them.

I'm already well versed in opening them up, but it's still a lot of trouble just to replace the reflector and I'd still have to obtain a reflector from someone with another broken or upgraded headlight. If I take it apart to convert to HID projectors myself then I can just remove the corroded reflector or paint it like I've seen others do. I know that this isn't cheap but I do not want to spend $150 on another headlight if I could put that toward an HID conversion. What is the cheapest price I can expect to do this myself for?

Next, I planned to hide the cracked lens on the other with headlight mesh. Now I wonder if there is a better way. I'm very curious if this could be used to make a replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Far from your question, Chone; however, you may find some good tips here:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=windshield

Thanks for the link, Bob !!!
How much heat does an HID setup put out?

If anyone has any other ideas for doing this cheaply, I'm all ears. Heck, if I could get a reflector for next to nothing from someone who did the HID conversion then I wouldn't bother with all this.

CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:06 AM   #2
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

I have seen audi used hid projector go for around $60, good quality. Mine has lasted 12 years without burning out, 170k miles.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:14 AM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I did it cheaply. My whole thing was about $100, but you've already read my thread on that.

As far as heat, it's about the same heat as a halogen, but it's all concentrated on the one spot where the light comes out, not dispersed over the entire headlight like the stock headlight.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:21 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I did it cheaply. My whole thing was about $100, but you've already read my thread on that.

As far as heat, it's about the same heat as a halogen, but it's all concentrated on the one spot where the light comes out, not dispersed over the entire headlight like the stock headlight.
I assume I won't be able to use the components you selected considering that this will need two projectors.

I'm trying to do the research but almost any search I do ends up dumping me on pages where I select overpriced kit components. Where did you start?

Old May 22nd, 2014, 05:26 AM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
start on those sites. Find the parts they use. Then go cruise ebay.

Why two? why not a single bixenon on the low side and a Silverstar halogen on the hi beam side. You'll have hi and lo beam from the bixenon, plus you'll have additional spot light from the halogen high beam side. Unlike going with dual bixenon projectors, this will also give you a mixture of light from the halogen, which makes color recognition easier. That's my only issue with HID bulbs, they only give off light at a specific wavelength, so colors are a little more washed out.

Instead of the same projector light pattern that is twice as bright, it will also give you two beam patterns. The OE high beam can't be that bad can it?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:06 AM   #6
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
start on those sites. Find the parts they use. Then go cruise ebay.
Thanks!

Quote:
Why two? why not a single bixenon on the low side and a Silverstar halogen on the hi beam side. You'll have hi and lo beam from the bixenon, plus you'll have additional spot light from the halogen high beam side. Unlike going with dual bixenon projectors, this will also give you a mixture of light from the halogen, which makes color recognition easier. That's my only issue with HID bulbs, they only give off light at a specific wavelength, so colors are a little more washed out.
Because I have to paint over or remove the reflector. That's the side with the worst corrosion which, as you recall, is the whole impetus for spending any money at all on this.

Quote:
Instead of the same projector light pattern that is twice as bright, it will also give you two beam patterns. The OE high beam can't be that bad can it?
Wouldn't the bi-xenon projectors give me two beam patterns with a moving shutter?

Old May 22nd, 2014, 06:57 AM   #7
crazymadbastard

oh forgot to mention my car is an a6 audi and you can find used on ebay.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:23 AM   #8
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
oh forgot to mention my car is an a6 audi and you can find used on ebay.
Is it small enough to be used inside a sealed motorcycle headlamp?

Old May 22nd, 2014, 10:43 AM   #9
crazymadbastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Is it small enough to be used inside a sealed motorcycle headlamp?
appears to be about 4 inches across housing. Lens is 2.5

Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:01 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
yo bro, don't you know? it's all about LEDs now. forget HIDs.

CREE FTW sucka

Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:02 PM   #11
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
appears to be about 4 inches across housing. Lens is 2.5
I like that Idea of using existing tech off a car on a bike. Especially if there is a junk yard near by.

mad scientist u r

WHAT YEAR AUDI A6?

I just walked past a Corolla that has a head light with a projector in the middle
looks like it might work if you cut it out. looked about the diameter of a soda can.

Dunno what year it was though
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:12 PM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

OK, what if I didn't particularly care about Xenon/HID and just used the projectors with halogen bulbs? The projectors would only serve to direct the beam without the stock reflector. I tried googling but I can't find a good answer to this.

Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:40 PM   #13
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
OK, what if I didn't particularly care about Xenon/HID and just used the projectors with halogen bulbs? The projectors would only serve to direct the beam without the stock reflector. I tried googling but I can't find a good answer to this.

I think My 2001 Hyundai Tiburon had a projector high beam on each side. that would be a cheap one to get I think .. .and small

STEP 1: go to self pull junk yard

Step 2: select any car with smallish projector head light

Step3: remove head light cutting the wire off and taking the whole unit out with it still attached. (try to select an already cracked or fogged headlight so you can haggle a discount!!! ) - Get a pair if they only have one projector per head light---

Step4: measure it , measure it again, Imagine where you are going to drill , cut and dremel to make it fit in your ninjette headlight. Once you are absolutely sure it will work(bring the ninjette headlight along for the ride) go haggle a price with the guy at the front desk - aim for 10-20 bucks

step 5: take apart ninja and car headlight and start cutting, until the projector fits in the ninja headlight- next I would find a way to make it mount so you know it is pointing at the proper angle or is adjustable. once you figure it all out epoxy it all in place however you think is best and spray paint it

Install and enjoy projector head light kit for next to nothing prices. You might not even need to buy NEW BULBS

- Also I would use the wire that you cut off that goes to the headlight bulb to make a harness that extends from the ninja h7 to whichever that car happens to use.
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote