ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old March 16th, 2016, 07:24 AM   #1
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Ninja Charging System fits my GS1000!!

Hey guys and gals, just thought I'd pass along a small success in my motorcycling...

The GS1000 wasn't charging. There were a bunch of wires around the regulator/rectifier that looked like they had gotten hot, and the stator was not producing much voltage, I was seeing 15-20v AC on each leg at 5k rpm, versus 50 or so that it's supposed to. Since I saw that little bit of voltage and the reg/rect (separate boxes on the 79 GS1000 just FYI) just looked sad, and I had no desire to rip out the stator without knowing whether it would actually get it charging, and I had one laying around on the shelf, I wired in a reg/rect from the ninja.

Only snag I ran into was that the ninja regulator had two +12 connections, one to the battery and the other to +12 off the ignition switch, where the GS1000 only hooked direct to the battery. I hooked both these leads to the battery without any ill effects so far. If I can track down good place to tie into the ignition circuit I’ll hook that up at a later date. When running voltage would go from 12.5 at idle (I know, the battery is a bit weak) to about 12.8 at 5k rpm, so it was charging a little. Tried riding it around a little like that and saw that the battery was draining over time, so the system wasn’t producing enough current to run the lights, ignition, etc.

So I dug around and found a stator for a spare engine for the pregen 250. With the stators bolted into the side covers sitting side by side, there was no discernable difference in the ID or OD of the stators. So I wrestled them both out, and sure enough they’re within a 10th of a mm of each other in OD and ID, and the mount holes are identical. Only difference is the 250 stator is a little bit narrower and lighter than the 1000. And I had to trim the signal generator wires out of the grommet, then trim the grommet to fit into the passage out of the stator cover. Piece of cake. I even soldered on three male blade connectors to the stator leads coming off the reg/rect so they plug right into the Kawasaki stator connector. Everything closed up just fine, no interference under the cover at all.

Topped the oil back off and fired it up, and battery voltage is 14 at idle and 14.5 or more at 5k rpm. Looks like I’ve finally got this licked.

Gotta love how universal these old bikes are!

Last futzed with by kxpower?; March 17th, 2016 at 05:48 AM.
kxpower? is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old March 16th, 2016, 07:58 AM   #2
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Thats pretty cool. Why redesign the wheel.

Old March 16th, 2016, 06:35 PM   #3
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
The manufacturers were pretty smart about re-using parts whenever possible.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2016, 06:42 PM   #4
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja