ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old June 6th, 2015, 08:24 PM   #1
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Thoughts about the MSF ARC (Advanced Rider's Course)

Previously, I attended the MSF BRC2 (formerly ERC...Experienced Rider's Course) and I didn't think too highly of it. I was quite bored actually because the class was moving too slow for my liking and I find my patience running out.

Today, I took the ARC course and boy ol boy...what a great course!!!

First of all, big shout out to Coaches Alan & Ralph at the Fairleigh Dickinson University location. Such incredible and knowledgeable instructors. Extremely engaging and fun. They worked great as a team. We had a nice mix of students ranging from someone who has less than a year of experience up to 2 older gentlemen who both had 40+ years of riding experience.

8 students and 8 completely different machines from 3 countries (US, UK & Japan)
3 Harleys
1 Adventure bike (Triumph Tiger 800)
2 Classics (Suzuki TU250 & Triumph Thruxton 900)
2 Sport bikes (Ninja 300 & Suzuki SV650)

The classroom material was engaging and exceptionally well put together. The range exercises were a ton of fun and pretty challenging. Some examples included (trail braking, kiss the mirror body positioning, decreasing radius turns, etc).

The great thing about this course is you have control of how challenging you want the exercises to be. Want more challenge? Increase your speed on the straight. Slam on the brakes to load up that front tire's contact patch (and even lift up the rear tire off the ground) to adjust corner entry speed then, slowly trail brake and crack open the throttle while you flick the bike into the apex to get through the corner. Went in too hot last lap? Feel like taking it easy now? No problem. Ride like a grandpa to get your lines correct the next lap and no one will look down on you.

Even though it's a class for a group of riders, you can always ride your own ride. At the end of the day, it's really you assessing your skill level (trying to bring it up) while recognizing & perceiving the risks and trying to lower it....and the ARC is a great course I'd recommend for all riders to refresh their riding skills to increase that skill level.

*Videos may follow

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old June 6th, 2015, 08:39 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I've been wanting to take the ARC but it isn't really offered in my area. Maybe it'll change it the future but it seems a bit doubtful now that the MSF is no longer the chosen agency by California for rider safety education.

However, in my area, the county sheriff offers it's own riding courses and it's really good from what I've heard. After all, the police are supposed to be expert riders. It might be worthwhile to see if there is anything like that wherever you live.

Old June 6th, 2015, 11:10 PM   #3
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
As promised, some clips from the day.

The day started off really sheety at 7am

Link to original page on YouTube.

At 8am, it was still sheety...but I felt better seeing bikes

Old June 6th, 2015, 11:12 PM   #4
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
After 3 hours in the classroom, we headed out to the range and we were all glad the rain stopped and the ground was dry!!!

Our first exercise was the offset cone weave

Old June 6th, 2015, 11:17 PM   #5
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Next up is the quick stop. Rider coach demo'ed on his FZ-09.

We ran this quick stop at 15mph and 25mph in 2nd gear. Part two of this drill was to do a quick stop at 25mph or higher (I felt comfortable at 30mph given the short runway), shift down to 1st before coming to a stop, mirror check then lane change at the end. (He likes my ABS).

Old June 6th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #6
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Next we were told to ride in circles. It's up to us to explore what we want to do with body position. They suggested leaning forward and in (kiss the mirror). They wanted to see inside elbow pointed to the ground.

Old June 6th, 2015, 11:23 PM   #7
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Next up was braking and swerving.

Old June 6th, 2015, 11:27 PM   #8
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Finally, this was our last exercise of the day. It consisted of everything we've learned. Trail braking, entry speed, decreasing radius turn, swerve & quick stop. Need tons of head movement. Must pick proper lines, head & eyes always up, use peripheral vision, etc. (He just loves my rear tire ABS clicking).

Old June 6th, 2015, 11:32 PM   #9
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
And finally....before they sent us home, they wanted us to get accustomed to riding in traffic again after spending 3+ hours on the range. So, they had us ride in a circle trying not to cut each other off (I forgot the name of this exercise). Had to use our turn signals for this one.

Old June 7th, 2015, 07:16 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Nice!

Thanks for taking the time to put those vids together.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 7th, 2015, 10:57 PM   #11
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Chris, as I try to be more a more skilled and proficient rider....what should my next step be? Are there any other classes that MSF offers that is a step above the ARC?

Or should I dip my toes in a track day (with instructions of course) as my next stepping stone? The only reason I'm a bit hesitant about a track day is because I don't have a trailer and I just sold my truck (with a hitch). I really don't want to put a hitch on my sedan (and rent a trailer).

Riding to the track is about 2hrs for me...which is fine. However, I don't want to risk it. It'll suck big time if I have an oppsie on the track and a rearset snaps in half. How do I get home? And even if all went well during the trackday, I think I'll be both mentally and physically exhausted and I know I won't be "on point" for the ride back home.

Old June 8th, 2015, 07:06 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Depends on your goals. But after everything I have done and experienced, my beliefs have changed a little bit.

For example; if you have NO desire to go fast and spend the most time commuting in a city setting, then go get some dirt training. Why? Simply because dodging a human/pothole in a crosswalk at 15mph is similar to steering around a large stump or rock in the woods at 15mph. Same thing with slides, 75mph slides are not the same as slides coming to a stop/taking off from an intersection. While dirt is not pavement, it will not matter too much unless your dirt day is actually mud and your mindset is not about throwing a 15ft rooster tail. And let's throw in gravel and other loose surfaces found on the street. Again, dirt is where you can find that. That the return on investment may not be worth the cost and be more applicable to the type of riding you do on a daily basis. And a side bonus, you will actually have to use your clutch almost as much as your throttle.

Now seeing how 4 of my close friend's life has changed and now one death due to street potholes and similar bumps, it has added a required skill to my list. "Riding out the bumps". You just aint gunna build this skill at most tracks and to be honest, I am not sure it's the place to learn until I think about it more.

There is also, Lee Parks TC and other private options available but I don't have the first clue about them.

Alternatively, if your goal is control in the corners on a canyon road and you won't be hanging off and draggin' knee to turn onto 3rd street on your way to work. Then yes 100% get to the track STAT and do a school! Come to Mid-O, I will be your concierge for the day. CSS also takes very good care of their riders.

Going to the track the way I do is expensive, but it doesn't have to be. If you think cost and equipment are an issue, trust me, no they aint if you have good friends. Ridesharing to the track can make a HUGE dent in the costs. Camp and pack your own food/drink. Surely you know a friend with a pickup truck right? Borrow it for a day, hell... rent one. Single day truck rentals are around $30 and a set of straps are <$20 at wal-mart. Ask for discount codes before buying your track spots, that $10-$15 off the cost can pay for gas in the bike for the day.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2015, 07:38 AM   #13
ForceofWill
Blind 250 Loving Whore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R, 02 FZ1, '20 Fat Bob 114

Looks like a good course, I'm going to have to take it. I took the MSRC geared for sport bikes and thought it was great too, a lot of the same stuff.
ForceofWill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2015, 12:32 PM   #14
chemist
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): gsxr 600 2012

Awesome Cadd!!! Thank you

Old June 10th, 2015, 02:27 AM   #15
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
I took the BRC and the BRC2. At the time i didn't see anything beyond that available in NJ. I'll have to look into this one.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2016, 06:58 PM   #16
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
I took it at FU. Fairleigh Dickenson University. Wait....maybe it was FDU. They're located in Teaneck, NJ.