ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 26th, 2015, 11:24 AM   #1
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Name: Garrett

Motorcycle(s): ZX-3R (ok, ex300)

time for a trade

it's time for something different. I'm looking at trading my little 300 in on a honda vtx 1300, it's a 2005 in pretty good condition.. anyone know anything about these bikes? anyone ever rode one? I'm going to test ride it tonight.
GHill762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #2
GHill762
ninjette.org member

also, this will be my first time on anything other than my 300 (other than the MSF bikes), I'm not going to lie I'm kinda nervous. how hard is it to adapt to a different style of bike? the ergs are way different obviously.. is it hard to switch from sportbike to cruiser?

Old March 26th, 2015, 12:49 PM   #3
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Is there anyone you know with a cruiser bike that is will to let you take their bike for a spin? The general functions of the motorcycle will of course all be the same, but I know what you mean about riding style. I rode a friends Vulcan and not only was the torque a whole lot more but steering the bike was a complete different experience. Definitely no knee dragging with those, unless your a badass with CHiP training under your belt. If you are able to get it to your house without going on major roads or having someone else drop it by I would basically treat it like it was going to be your first bike ever and go through the riding exercises that you can remember from the MSF class. Within a day or two you will probably be way more comfortable. How many Years/Miles of riding experience do you have with the 300, other bikes etc.?
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2015, 12:54 PM   #4
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
Is there anyone you know with a cruiser bike that is will to let you take their bike for a spin? The general functions of the motorcycle will of course all be the same, but I know what you mean about riding style. I rode a friends Vulcan and not only was the torque a whole lot more but steering the bike was a complete different experience. Definitely no knee dragging with those, unless your a badass with CHiP training under your belt. If you are able to get it to your house without going on major roads or having someone else drop it by I would basically treat it like it was going to be your first bike ever and go through the riding exercises that you can remember from the MSF class. Within a day or two you will probably be way more comfortable. How many Years/Miles of riding experience do you have with the 300, other bikes etc.?
my experiences are basically the handfull of bikes at MSF and I've been riding my 300 since I bought it new in april of '13, since then I've put just under 6,000 miles on it, mostly highway. no drops, no accidents, no tickets. I ride pretty safe, but I also like to push it. never rode anyone else's bike though, so basically my experience is limited to riding the ninja 300.

unfortunately there aren't much in the way of curvy roads here, so around here it's either go to a crotchrocket and blast down the road at 150 or get a cruiser and take it easy..

I'm test riding the bike this afternoon, I know I'll be fine, just got the butterflies, ya know? if all goes well it'll sleep in my garage tonight.

Old March 26th, 2015, 01:00 PM   #5
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

hope all goes well, make sure to post pics of new baby if it indeed does go very well
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2015, 01:47 AM   #6
Singh2jz
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

I thought our ninjettes were timeless!

Old March 27th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #7
GHill762
ninjette.org member

well, it all went well! bike feels like a tank compared to the 300. need to take off the hideous wind screen and the sissy bar, and I think I want a different seat. and maybe down the road I'll look into some slim turn signals. I'm so excited to get out and ride, but it's like 29 degrees here.. brr..

for reference, here is my 300. I'll miss her, she was good to me. I hope the next owner takes care of her.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 27th, 2015, 05:53 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHill762 View Post
well, it all went well! bike feels like a tank compared to the 300. need to take off the hideous wind screen and the sissy bar, and I think I want a different seat. and maybe down the road I'll look into some slim turn signals. I'm so excited to get out and ride, but it's like 29 degrees here.. brr..
Nice!

After ridin' a nimble sportbike, yes... they are tanks, but it's a different kinda ride.

Enjoy!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2015, 06:04 AM   #9
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Nice!

After ridin' a nimble sportbike, yes... they are tanks, but it's a different kinda ride.

Enjoy!
thanks! I'm really excited to do the cruiser thing for a while.

yeah, sportbikes just don't make sense around here, a lot of flat straight roads, only fun on a sport bike is going fast or zipping between traffic. if I get another sportbike I'll likely get it as a track bike.