ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old September 2nd, 2012, 08:48 AM   #1
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Name: Dennis

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I need highway passing power!

So riding on the highway, the bike doesn't have any passing power.... I even downshift and couldn't pass a car =(. With Fall soon approaching and the season coming to an end, I have down time to mess with the bike. I plan on saving up for a bigger bike, so I'm not trying to spend major $ on this. I'm planning on a tyga full exhaust, Rejet, and a BRT-TIS. Will this help me with my problem? or should I not even bother and just save that money towards a bigger bike?
DennyV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2012, 08:49 AM   #2
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

If you don't find it to have passing power I'd save for a bigger bike. The exhaust isn't going to help to much.

That being said, that 250 has plenty of passing power even when going 80MPH. It has just as much passing power as many of the little subcompact cars out there. It passes just as well if not better than my Civic on the highway.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 08:56 AM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I have never had any problems passing cars going down the highway.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:32 AM   #4
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

what road were you on that you couldnt pass a cage? cages go like 70 around here >.>
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:47 AM   #5
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Passing = speeding. Why are u speeding ? Take your time and enjoy the ride
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:28 AM   #6
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
what road were you on that you couldnt pass a cage? cages go like 70 around here >.>
was on 495 at 10, trying to follow my boss' 1198, and his freinds zx6, 600rr, had to carefully pick my spots in traffic, yes we were doing 80mph at times, then there are the other obvious reasons... Bike really likes to get pushed around the lane by the wind at those speeds

Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:18 PM   #7
folky15
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

I spend a lot of time on Chicago highways, and have never had a problem passing anyone.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:22 PM   #8
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyV View Post
was on 495 at 10, trying to follow my boss' 1198, and his freinds zx6, 600rr, had to carefully pick my spots in traffic, yes we were doing 80mph at times, then there are the other obvious reasons... Bike really likes to get pushed around the lane by the wind at those speeds
So your problem isn't passing cars, it's passing Supersport/bikes. In that case the solution is a ZX14.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:24 PM   #9
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

idk man i think you just need more practice. i went pretty fast today and it was very stable
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:28 PM   #10
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

Quote:
Newsflash !!!!!!

You arent going to be able to keep up with a zx6/cbr 600rr on the highway with a 250. Much less a Ducati 1198. To even try is retarded in the light of all the bike fatalities this year.

As much as I kinda dislike Jiggles, I totally agree with his signature "If the 250 isnt fast enough for ya, your riding it wrong." I think thats what it says.

A bigger bike is ok if its just because you want a bigger bike but don't justify it by flaming on the 250 for not being fast enough. My 250 meets every highway need that has ever come up and is faster than most cages on the road. Maybe if you were on the autobahn this post would make more sense to me.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:55 PM   #11
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

The problem that I run into when I ride with friends who have those types of bikes is not the max speed, but the fact that they accelerate so much faster than the 250.

The issue with acceleration is that say they take an on ramp and end up doing 80 by the time they're on the highway if they don't baby their bikes I'll have to go faster than 80 to catch back up.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:10 PM   #12
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

if you wanna keep the 250 im just gonna say it since im sure someone else will mention it..

AreaP full race exhaust. there..i said it.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:25 PM   #13
Asspire
Fix It Till Ya Break It

Name: Asspyre

Motorcycle(s): 08 250RRrrrr

you have to wait for vtec to kick in yo.
Asspire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:40 PM   #14
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggrotech View Post
if you wanna keep the 250 im just gonna say it since im sure someone else will mention it..

AreaP full race exhaust. there..i said it.
Although that does make a big difference, you'll still feel like your standing still at WoT when riding with the bikes he stated.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 01:56 PM   #15
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

That's like saying your Miata can't accelerate as fast as a Carrera GT.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 03:53 PM   #16
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
.........or should I not even bother and just save that money towards a bigger bike?
I would recommend saving for a heavier bike able of more spirited acceleration on straight lines.

If you aren't very experienced yet, try avoiding any supersport; those are hard to control and uncomfortable for long trips.

Rather, look for a small sport touring bike:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...highlight=tour
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2012, 04:50 PM   #17
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
After the ignition and exhaust stuff go to different gearing. That way sixth gear is like an overdrive. Also don't be afraid to rev the engine above 13000. Set your BRT-r tis rev limit to 14000.
I grew up in that area. I used to street race on rt 100 and rt 10. I was racing there before rt 10 was built. You can get some amazing speeds there.

Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:52 PM   #18
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
Although that does make a big difference, you'll still feel like your standing still at WoT when riding with the bikes he stated.
lol well of course. Even people who dont own bikes would be able to figure this out, but it'd definitely help a ton.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:59 PM   #19
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Sprocket change if you wanna change gearing for more speed/acceleration, Full exhaust + rejet + airbox removal for that extra oomph(don't expect too much), Zip-tie mod for quicker WOT. That's all I can think of, unless you wanna go all out and get a big bore kit/turbo the **** out of her...

Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:20 AM   #20
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I've never had any problem passing either.

An exhaust DOES make a difference you can feel. It does NOT magically turn your $3500 beginner bike into a $10,000 supersport.

Even with all sane mods (I leave the lunatic fringe turbo/nitrous guys out of this), the bike is not going to give you a massive kick in the butt when you whack open the throttle. It's a 250. What do you expect? Bollinger champagne on a Colt 45 budget?

Also… Tuck. With so little power on tap, a full tuck really does make a difference. When I say "full" I mean that if your belly allows it, get your helmet right down on the tank. I'm still thin enough (ha) that I can put my helmet in contact with the tank.

Learn to use momentum. Too many people just don't get how important momentum is because they have such easy access to big horsepower. These are the people who think a 600 is a beginner bike and anything smaller is just too slow to get out of its own way.

I've never done a track day on a bike, but I do have a fair bit of track time in a low-powered car so I can speak from first-hand experience. I was able to catch cars with much larger engines in the twisties because the drivers were squandering momentum… they'd gas it too much, then get hard on the brakes for the next corner, then gas it again.

When you're out there exploring the limits of what the machine can do, you come to realize that going fast is not about making more speed, it's really about not losing the speed you've got and then trying to make it up with horsepower.

Translate this to passing on the road… the way to do it is not to get up the butt of the car in front and then try to just power around. You don't have the available ponies to do that. Plan ahead and get a run on the guy. When you get to him you'll already be going fast enough to blow by.

Ever watch oval racing? I hate NASCAR with a passion but when pressed I'll watch Indycars. They set the target up a long, long time before the pass happens. If you want to see the move that matters, don't watch what's happening in the foreground of the picture… look waaaay up the track at the exit of the previous turn.

If traffic is heavy enough that you can't do the momentum thing, then what the heck are you thinking about in the first place? There are few things that really give me road rage but one of them is a$$hat sportbike riders blasting along at the pace of travel +20 or 30 mph, treating heavy traffic as if it was a slalom course.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:20 AM   #21
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Looks like bigger bike it is, still love the ninja for what it is, but next season may be my last season with her, as it was always my plan to move up to a bigger bike, I'm just glad i started small and not on a SS

Old September 3rd, 2012, 10:21 AM   #22
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Looks like bigger bike it is, still love the ninja for what it is, but next season may be my last season with her, as it was always my plan to move up to a bigger bike, I'm just glad i started small and not on a SS
A full exhaust makes a huge differences to the power of the 250 because of how it changes the power band. That said refer to my sig. I was In a group with r1s and zx6rs yesterday, guess how far behind I fell. The answer is I didn't.

Don't get a bigger bike because you think the 250 is inadequate, it's not, your riding skills are what's inadequate and a larger bike is just a Bandaid. You should be looking for a new bike based on something other than sheer power. I.e. comfort, supersport/touring styling, looks, etc. Get a bike that you want but don't make silly excuses like the 250 doesn't go straight fast enough because that's just saying "idk how to ride this bike"
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:35 PM   #23
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
A full exhaust makes a huge differences to the power of the 250 because of how it changes the power band. That said refer to my sig. I was In a group with r1s and zx6rs yesterday, guess how far behind I fell. The answer is I didn't.

Don't get a bigger bike because you think the 250 is inadequate, it's not, your riding skills are what's inadequate and a larger bike is just a Bandaid. You should be looking for a new bike based on something other than sheer power. I.e. comfort, supersport/touring styling, looks, etc. Get a bike that you want but don't make silly excuses like the 250 doesn't go straight fast enough because that's just saying "idk how to ride this bike"
So im gonna try to install A tyga full exhaust, jet kit and BRT-Tis in the winter.... While working on cars has me experienced in replacing crap, I'm not old enough to understand carbs.... I'm spoiled by fuel injected cars.... anyone wanna teach me how to jet and how carbs work, etc?

Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:41 PM   #24
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
carbs are easier than fuel injection for the weekend tinkerer.

http://www.factorypro.com/tech_tunin...m_engines.html
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 05:49 PM   #25
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Yeah with carbs pretty much you got jets for WOT needles for midrange and idle screws for idle. Test each three until you find that sweet spot
AFM #676

Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:57 PM   #26
DennyV
ninjette.org member

ok... so Anyone recommend a certain kit for this? I think I can follow the DIYs for most of this stuff

Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:00 PM   #27
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Area p full exhaust with area p customized dyno jet kit and k&n 0990 air filter
AFM #676

Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:01 PM   #28
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

Dynojet and Factory Pro are common choices.

Dynojet Stage 2 kit PN #2193
Factory Pro Stage 3 kit PN #CRB-K04-3.0

The customized AreaP/Dynojet kit contains 3 additional sets of main jets.
menikmati is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:04 PM   #29
DennyV
ninjette.org member

So for my wants, Dynojet kit, Tyga full exhaust, and skip the air filter, I usually dont like the amount of crap high flow filters allow into the engine

Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:08 PM   #30
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
if you go with the BRT you will need to buy different jets than the kit will have. You can contact Jets are us. They will sell you just the jets you need.
Using a 48 pilot and 110 main then a washer under the needle with a full exhaust system and block off the clean air system should make you very happy.
There is lots of info on tuning.

Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:10 PM   #31
DennyV
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
if you go with the BRT you will need to buy different jets than the kit will have. You can contact Jets are us. They will sell you just the jets you need.
Using a 48 pilot and 110 main then a washer under the needle with a full exhaust system and block off the clean air system should make you very happy.
There is lots of info on tuning.
see not knowing crap about carbs has me confused.... The hell do the # mean? Main and pilot? huh? this is why i like fuel injection and find it easier ....mostly injector size, fuel pump size and a/f mixture....

Old September 3rd, 2012, 07:30 PM   #32
Racer x

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
sorry, hang in there.
Basically there are stages of fuel delivery in a carb. Stage one is idle. that is controlled by screws. and they are covered by caps that need to be removed , the screws are called idle screws they regulate the amount of fuel going into the engine when the bike is idling.

As soon as you twist the throttle you add more air. The engine needs more fuel so little holes allow fuel to flow at that point.. The amount of fuel is controlled by pilot jets.

When you open the throttle some more. A needle is sitting in what is called the main jet. The opening of the throttle and how far the needle moves is critical. If the needle is way down in the hole of the main jet not much fuel will flow. if the needle is way out of the hole of the main jet than more fuel will flow.

Adjusting the needle position is done with washers. The needle is like a giant pin. And the washers hold it up so more fuel will flow sooner. At about 3/4 throttle the needle is all the way out and top speed is controlled by the size of the main jet alone.

Your bike is set up at the factory with a main jet that is very small. like # 98 . you will be opening up the air flow through the engine with a free flow exhaust. So you will need to add more fuel.The bigger the number the more fuel will flow. It is fairly easy but takes a LOT of trial and error to get right.

Lucky for you the forum has a jetting database.SO you just have to replace the parts. The hard part is done. Do some more reading. Learning how it works is important. Carb tuning is no different than FI tuning. Just a different way of changing the fuel amount.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...tting+database

Old September 4th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #33
thomason2wheels
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): dl650

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I've never had any problem passing either.

An exhaust DOES make a difference you can feel. It does NOT magically turn your $3500 beginner bike into a $10,000 supersport.

Even with all sane mods (I leave the lunatic fringe turbo/nitrous guys out of this), the bike is not going to give you a massive kick in the butt when you whack open the throttle. It's a 250. What do you expect? Bollinger champagne on a Colt 45 budget?

Also… Tuck. With so little power on tap, a full tuck really does make a difference. When I say "full" I mean that if your belly allows it, get your helmet right down on the tank. I'm still thin enough (ha) that I can put my helmet in contact with the tank.

Learn to use momentum. Too many people just don't get how important momentum is because they have such easy access to big horsepower. These are the people who think a 600 is a beginner bike and anything smaller is just too slow to get out of its own way.

I've never done a track day on a bike, but I do have a fair bit of track time in a low-powered car so I can speak from first-hand experience. I was able to catch cars with much larger engines in the twisties because the drivers were squandering momentum… they'd gas it too much, then get hard on the brakes for the next corner, then gas it again.

When you're out there exploring the limits of what the machine can do, you come to realize that going fast is not about making more speed, it's really about not losing the speed you've got and then trying to make it up with horsepower.

Translate this to passing on the road… the way to do it is not to get up the butt of the car in front and then try to just power around. You don't have the available ponies to do that. Plan ahead and get a run on the guy. When you get to him you'll already be going fast enough to blow by.

Ever watch oval racing? I hate NASCAR with a passion but when pressed I'll watch Indycars. They set the target up a long, long time before the pass happens. If you want to see the move that matters, don't watch what's happening in the foreground of the picture… look waaaay up the track at the exit of the previous turn.

If traffic is heavy enough that you can't do the momentum thing, then what the heck are you thinking about in the first place? There are few things that really give me road rage but one of them is a$$hat sportbike riders blasting along at the pace of travel +20 or 30 mph, treating heavy traffic as if it was a slalom course.
I had to laugh at your description of would be ghost riders and the dumb foolish antics some of those guys engage in. Reminds of some of the stunting gone wrong you see on utube.
thomason2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #34
paulforaname
ninjette.org member

Name: Paulie

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Quote:
I even downshift and couldn't pass a car =
assuming your in top gear, down shift 2 gears, 4th would be your best overtaking gear .
paulforaname is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 03:26 AM   #35
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomason2wheels View Post
I had to laugh at your description of would be ghost riders and the dumb foolish antics some of those guys engage in. Reminds of some of the stunting gone wrong you see on utube.
I once had a guy divebomb me going conservatively +30 over my speed IN MY LANE. Felt like more.

He missed my nose by maybe a couple of feet. I was going 65-70. He ran up on me so fast I never saw him coming. Scared the crap out of me.

Good thing I was in my cage at the time. Had I been on my bike the startle factor could have led to something unfortunate.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #36
robmilchling
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Honestly, in my opinion, if you're sure that next season will likely be your last with the 250, then I'd just suggest saving your money. Yes those changes will make a difference, but realistically it won't be very large. I commute down I95 and rt32 on my way to Clarksville several days a week, right near where you ride, in potentially faster/heavier traffic. I never had any issues with passing power at 80mph. You just have to plan ahead and you wont be blowing past anyone, but really, nobody should be doing that anyway, it's dangerous, unpredictable, and stupid. That being said, I really need to watch the throttle input I have on my 675
robmilchling is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2012, 04:21 PM   #37
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I have never had any problems passing cars going down the highway.
neither have I, i don't understand people who say they do. they obviously are riding at like 5krpm

Old September 17th, 2012, 04:44 PM   #38
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

never had a problem passing
tucking makes a big difference in high speed acceleration.

as far as not being able to pass you need to plan better, and use space and timing more effectively.

Old September 17th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #39
lgk

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

lol thanks for capturing my thoughts

Old September 21st, 2012, 06:17 AM   #40
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote: