ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 9th, 2010, 10:12 PM   #1
kroze
ninjette.org member

Name: Kroze

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

How easy is it to replace these things?? **PICS**

It's my first bike and i'm learning how to ride on it. Of course i've dropped it a couple of times now and broken the turn signal, mirror, and some scratches on the fender. Is it easy to replace the turn signal & Mirror? Do you have to remove the fairing in order to do so?

kroze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2010, 10:50 PM   #2
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Yes on both accounts, though I suppose you could replace them without if you were flexible and determined to not remove the fairings (and willing to possibly crack/stress said fairings in the process).

If all you broke is the black plastic housing on the turn signal (obviously damaged in the picture), you don't even have to pull the fairing. If you remove the clear lens (secured with one screw and a tab), the bulb, the reflective bulb housing (which will probably fall out at ya once you remove the screw holding on the lens) and unplug the wiring, the black housing will just slide off the end of the stalk. Install new parts and reassemble, 10 minutes start to finish. Unfortunately signals are only available as a complete unit OEM, but easy enough to just disassemble the new one and have spare parts.

However if the stalk and/or wiring are damaged, removing one of the lower fairings is quite easy (guide here:http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9933). It's 7 bolts and 5 plastic rivets (another 7 bolts and 2 rivets for the other side). Once the lower fairing is off, replacing the turn signal is a matter of one bolt (the phillips head one behind the stalk in your pic) and routing the wiring.

The mirror is reasonably easy to do (two bolts) once you get the front fairing off, which is a matter of 2 plastic rivets and 4 bolts (might be off by 1-2 here, been a while) after you've pulled the two lower fairings.

Frankly though, your mirror looks like a little love with some Mother's Back to Black and maybe some gentle fine-grit sanding will get it back to 90%.

A new fairing will run you ~$225, if not more. Might take a look at Colorrite.com. It's kinda pricey, but they sell touchup paint that's a perfect match.

If you insist on replacing parts though, might consider selling the damaged ones. I'm currently looking for a scuffed/scratched left fairing

FWIW, I replaced my right side after a low-speed drop minutes after buying the bike. About three months later someone knocked it over on the same side, on the new fairing right after a wax. These things happen. Many of us learn to live with our bike's blemishes as reminders and 'character marks.' Very glad your drops weren't worse.

Old April 9th, 2010, 11:28 PM   #3
kevlarorc
noob motovlogger

Name: Gareth

Motorcycle(s): Black 2009 250r

Totally not worth it to replace those fairings imo.
I might replace that turn signal though just so it doesn't crack more and fall apart one day on a ride.

Old April 10th, 2010, 09:59 AM   #4
kroze
ninjette.org member

Thanks momaru!

I already ordered the replacement turn signals, they're like $80

I already touch up the paint a lil bit with a honda nighthawk black pearl color. I couldn't find an exact match anywhere for the kawasaki paint.

I'm coming up on the 600 miles maintenance and thinking about doing it myself. Where do you guys go to buy your oil filter & o-rings?

Old April 10th, 2010, 10:09 AM   #5
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Consider yourself fortunate....usually when you drop it, it will shove that turnsignal right through the other side of the fairing.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #6
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Kroze- there's a great DIY on the 600-mile service It's really easy. Another thing that might be helpful in taking the fairings off is linked later in that thread, is a piece of paper that you can print out with circles to keep the screws organized. After the first time or two you don't really need it, but it does help while you're learning how to do it!

As for filters, I order mine through motorcycle superstore and get the K&N, and get oil locally at one of the auto-parts stores - they actually have a decent selection of motorcycle oils. One of the reasons I get the K&N filters is because they come with the o-rings. You'll see all sorts of threads on which oil to buy, which filter, whether it's ok to reuse the o-rings and crush washers... I personally don't reuse o-rings, and have never changed the crush washer. As for oil, I was using Castroil when I was using conventional and switched to Mobile1 when I went synthetic at 1200 miles.

Old April 10th, 2010, 06:07 PM   #7
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

I`m surprised that all you had was a few minor scratches on your fairing compared to the scratches to your mirror.

I wonder if you could of taken your signal apart and used jb weld to fix the inside cracks and put it back together.

My signal light never broke but it bent and cracked my fairing but did not have much scratches on my mirror.

Old April 10th, 2010, 09:44 PM   #8
kroze
ninjette.org member

I dropped the bike at very low speed, almost at a standstill. Both times I lay it down slowly because I couldn't hold it up. That's why you didn't see a lot of damage.

Those slow speed turns are hard to do as hell. It's the only reason why I dropped the bike.

Noche Caliente - As far as oil filters/o-rings, can I go to autozone or pepboys and get them or do I have to order it?

Old April 11th, 2010, 01:39 PM   #9
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

you might have better luck up there than I do in the middle of nowhere, but I have not had any luck finding the filter in stock anywhere.You can likely go in and have them order it in and wait a day or two though.

Old April 11th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #10
250Rocket
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

This is worth every cent. I low-sided at about 30mph and have minor scuffs. It doesn't get rid of them but it really masks them.

Mirror, keep it and turning signal. It's a good reason to get flushmounts.

Back on the road again Season 2010 Dam it feels good!
250Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #11
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Thanks for the tip Rob. Hopefully it won't be hard to find around here, this is the first time i've seen this.

Old April 11th, 2010, 03:05 PM   #12
Méké
ninjette.org member

Name: Méké

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 2013 SE , Ninja 2009 blue/Honda Nighthawk S 1985 blue

l'm not sure but l think , seen this stuff at C.Tire or Napa ... available in different colors ( not a lot ).
Méké is offline   Reply With Quote