ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 29th, 2015, 12:35 PM   #1
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

2016 gsx-s1000

Noticed this comparison got posted today.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2015/1...gsx-s1000-abs/

Bike looks pretty legit, it's impressive how well it stacks up against the Tuono and Super Duke considering the price difference.

I'm thinking this new Suzuki might take the cake against the FZ09 in the value category.

Old October 29th, 2015, 02:15 PM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I rode one at a demo. Clearly a nice bike... can't tell a whole lot at demo ride pace, of course.

Not a real fan of the Transformers styling, but that's all the rage these days. So little character or individuality... it all looks like origami to me.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #3
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Yeah, I mean it looks good I think, but I get what your saying. If they took a different route on the styling it could be better looking. That being said the Suzuki is the most conservative looking of the three in my eyes. There's not really a good old traditional styled bike in the category.

What did you think of the fueling when you demoed one? That seems to be their biggest complaint.

Old October 29th, 2015, 03:16 PM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
At demo ride pace on a 1000cc motorcycle you never get terribly far above idle. So really no way to tell.

Since this is a ninjette forum, it's appropriate to say... riding a big bike is very different. On a 250 you twist the throttle. On a big bike you think about twisting the throttle, because that's pretty much all you need to do.

If I were a naked bike kind of guy (I'm not) and if I were in the market for a contemporary type of street bike (I'm not) this would be in the selection set. Also on the short list would be the Yamahas (07 and 09).

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2015, 04:45 PM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I'll take an old zrx1200 over all of those options, that'll probably be my next street bike down the line when I find a good deal on one

same fun but more passion, I don't need all the stuff they're putting on bikes these days unless I'm on the track anyway

those are still cool bikes, just not for me

Old October 29th, 2015, 04:48 PM   #6
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I'll take an old zrx1200 over all of those options, that'll probably be my next street bike down the line when I find a good deal on one

same fun but more passion, I don't need all the stuff they're putting on bikes these days unless I'm on the track anyway

those are still cool bikes, just not for me
I get what your saying, these three bikes are basically superbikes slightly modified for the street. The ZRX1200 is definitely more of a street bike, I just think it's ugly as sin compared to the newer bikes.

Old October 29th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, I prefer the zrx aesthetics to the modern aesthetics of these 3 bikes

I also like the fz6 and older street triple aesthetics more, I may end up on one of those

Old October 29th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #8
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

The Street Triple and FZ6 (to a lesser extent) are great bikes! You can't go wrong! I absolutely love my FZ6, I've had it for three years and 20,000 miles and it hasn't skipped a beat. I really don't have any complaints on it, it's not the most exciting bike, but it's super solid. I think I actually like it better than the FZ09 for some reason.

Old October 29th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #9
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
It might be the best when it comes to bang for the buck but the Suzuki is the least interesting of the three to me.

Not a bad looking bike, just nothing that makes it really stand out from the crowd.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2015, 05:26 PM   #10
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
It might be the best when it comes to bang for the buck but the Suzuki is the least interesting of the three to me.

Not a bad looking bike, just nothing that makes it really stand out from the crowd.
That price though!

Your right, the Tuono is my favorite it's tickles me in all the right places. Problem is it's over $4,000 more than the Suzuki, which presents going the used route. My buddy has a 2012 Tuono V4R, he gets about 25 mpg (we have to stop every 80 miles for gas....), and he's had it in the shop for repairs far too many times. I'd be a little bit scared to buy one without a warranty on the used market.

My brain says Suzuki, my heart says Aprilia! lol.

Old October 29th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #11
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Having ridden that Aprilia ('14 model) for like 20 minutes, I didn't really like it. It's just too much engine for a naked street bike. It's not fun having to keep that beast at or near legal speeds knowing it wants to be unleashed. And then when you break those legal speeds you want a full fairing. Give me the RSV4!

My Striple is the only naked I need! Or some other middleweight. And that Suzuki does nothing for me. That can be said about every Suzuki in the current lineup.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2015, 05:52 PM   #12
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
The Street Triple and FZ6 (to a lesser extent) are great bikes! You can't go wrong! I absolutely love my FZ6, I've had it for three years and 20,000 miles and it hasn't skipped a beat. I really don't have any complaints on it, it's not the most exciting bike, but it's super solid. I think I actually like it better than the FZ09 for some reason.

IMO your FZ6 looks better than the FZ09. I really wanted one for a while but could never find a nice 06+ for a decent price. I picked up my Striple for less than some people wanted for their FZ6's.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2015, 05:54 PM   #13
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
yeah, the fz6 is a fantastic bike. I rode one around not too long ago

it is perfect for sport touring, just as the other two are. The only issue is no windscreen for highway but I prefer feeling the wind

the least likely of the three for me to get is the street triple despite my love of it, it is hard to find at a reasonable price point. I'd be using the bike primarily for commuting, 2up riding, and the occasional mellow paced trip to the mountains as the track bikes are enough to give me a speed fix

Old October 29th, 2015, 06:05 PM   #14
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
yeah, the fz6 is a fantastic bike. I rode one around not too long ago

it is perfect for sport touring, just as the other two are. The only issue is no windscreen for highway but I prefer feeling the wind

the least likely of the three for me to get is the street triple despite my love of it, it is hard to find at a reasonable price point. I'd be using the bike primarily for commuting, 2up riding, and the occasional mellow paced trip to the mountains as the track bikes are enough to give me a speed fix
Well technically stock FZ6s have really good wind protection. Mine did before I ripped the fairing off.

Street Triple was my first choice of bike, but the only reasonable priced ones are the 2008-2010 models and they're super hard to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
IMO your FZ6 looks better than the FZ09. I really wanted one for a while but could never find a nice 06+ for a decent price. I picked up my Striple for less than some people wanted for their FZ6's.
Thanks! I paid top dollar for mine in 2013, something like $5,000. It had less than 1,000 miles on it at the time and was in show room condition so it was like getting a new bike.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 30th, 2015, 08:48 AM   #15
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

I plan on getting the Superduke, no doubt in my mind. If I ever snag an aprilia it will be the rsv4, (still not sure if ill add an ape to the stable).

Old October 30th, 2015, 09:39 AM   #16
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

The Super Duke is just wayyyyyyyy too much money for me. Sick bike though.

Old October 30th, 2015, 10:05 AM   #17
Bigballsofpaint

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Ive come to the reality that I will always have debt, so I might as well make it be for things I want when I have a choice. I buy bikes used now though since my 250, so im sure when im in the market Ill be able to find one a few years old around 10-12k which would be fine.