ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old March 21st, 2015, 06:57 AM   #1
monjorrow
ninjette.org member

Name: monjorrow

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Versys, 2000 Ninja 250

Stock air box won't go back on...

So I took my bike apart to clean the carbs, and now I can't get the damn thing back together. The PO has already done the air box mod, so it is loose in the bike. But for the life of me I cannot get the air box back on the carbs. Is there a trick to this? Should I just put pods on it? Will it be this hard every time I take the carbs off?

If I do get pods, is there a recommended jetting I should start out with? I really don't want to fool with tuning the carbs all that much, so if there is some way to get the stocker back on...

HELP!!!
monjorrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2015, 09:16 AM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Pods are a NO-NO

With that said, it just takes time and patience to get it all back together.

Good news is hopefully if you installed a fuel filter, and properly store your motorcycle for the winter, fuel stabilizer, you'll never have to take those carburetors out again til the consumables parts need replacing, things like the float needle valves mostly.

My EX500 carburetors haven't needed to be off the bike in over 5 years.

Good luck, another tip is to make sure the rubber parts are warm, makes them more flexible, and easier to work with.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2015, 10:04 AM   #3
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
To further explain my personal views about pod filters,

Quote:
I would highly recommend that you DO NOT REMOVE THE AIR BOX, the carburetors on the bike are CV type and need to box to function properly, buy a K&N that fits the OEM airbox(K&N KA-2508 Kawasaki High Performance Replacement Air Filter by K&N* *Amazon.com: K&N KA-2508 Kawasaki High Performance Replacement Air Filter: Automotive* ) that's the short version.

Long boring but important answer, CV carbs stands for "constant velocity". The function of the carbs is dependent on having a calm reservoir (airbox) from which to intake air at said constant velocity. Pods draw from the turbulent, unpredictable air swirling past them as you ride, which is anything but constant. Other carbs work fine with pods. CV's = no bueno, save yourself the headaches.

Now onto jetting, first you need to tune the idle mixture screws first, I recommend 3 full turns out from bottom as a good starting point, then fine tune them afterwards. As far as buying a jet kit, I personally don't have one on either my 250, or 500 ninjas. I did got up one size on my main jets, due to they are lean from the factory, and shimmed the main needles with a small washer.

Where are located in Tn? I'm in south central Kentucky myself.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2015, 03:25 PM   #4
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

air box

Good luck...really, good luck on getting air box hooked back up to carbs. That was one of the most foulest, nasty screaming at it bitchin two days I've ever hand. Had multiple guys over trying to help me. In the end patience will prevail.

Sometimes if the bike is older it helps to purchase new tubes that connect carbs to air box. They are softer and more supple..like charmin I guess

Old March 23rd, 2015, 09:15 AM   #5
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

use a little spit or oil on the rubbers, also try soaking the rubbers in scalding hot water for like 5 minutes

Old March 23rd, 2015, 01:42 PM   #6
propilot
ninjette.org member

Name: keV

Motorcycle(s): 04 ex250

I lubed the rubber and used a screwdriver and wrench as leverage against the frame and it popped back in rather easily. If your airbox is loose, try to stuff something behind it so it pushes in against the carb, then try the lube/leverage thing.
propilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2015, 04:11 AM   #7
monjorrow
ninjette.org member

Name: monjorrow

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Versys, 2000 Ninja 250

Update: After more cussing and throwing screw drivers, a buddy and I were able to get it back on. Got the carbs primed and the bike started right up. Now I'm having issues with the throttle not snapping back. I'm going to check the cables this weekend and see If I can't get it 100% so I can ride it.
monjorrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2015, 07:19 AM   #8
agentbad
ninjette.org sage

Name: bob

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250, 2006 SV650N

Quote:
Originally Posted by monjorrow View Post
Update: After more cussing and throwing screw drivers, a buddy and I were able to get it back on. Got the carbs primed and the bike started right up. Now I'm having issues with the throttle not snapping back. I'm going to check the cables this weekend and see If I can't get it 100% so I can ride it.
Last time I had trouble with the throttle I had attached the throttle bracket on the carb wrong and it would catch halfway making me think my carbs were still giving me problems.
agentbad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 6th, 2015, 12:23 PM   #9
atxninjette
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 ninja 250

Some times you can pinch the line w/ the tank on the frame when reinstalling if you had that off...